Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is It True That Ed Falls In Love With Winry? Tell us your opinion! (For series final content discussion, make sure to use "Series Final Spoiler Warning" or go to Spoler Zone threads, please) :)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
[Edward Elric]
Is It True That Ed Falls In Love With Winry? blink.gif
Ailuro
Yes, it is completely true. They are madly in love with each other and they say that they love each other at least five times in every episode. They even get married and have 20 kids by the end of the series.

Truth:
They probably have little crushes or something but is never truly confirmed in the series. Much to my dismay.
Dancing Alchemist
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Jan 28 2005, 09:23 PM)
Yes, it is completely true. They are madly in love with each other and they say that they love each other at least five times in every episode. They even get married and have 20 kids by the end of the series.

Truth:
They probably have little crushes or something but is never truly confirmed in the series. Much to my dismay.
[snapback]100714[/snapback]

Oh thank goodness happy.gif !
IronFlame
I dunno if you consider these spoilers but read it anyway.
I weren't too suprised about that at the end cos they left quite a few things that didnt make much sense in the end.. they are both 16 right? But Ed is travelling so often in the series.
Chiyo
Whether it was done on purpose or not I go by the end credits on the third series. The lyrics to Motherland and Winry in the picture. Coincidence? I think not.

I hope something happens between them in the movie *sigh*.
Omakase Shimasu
Fandom is your friend if you're looking for a canon lovey-dovey relationship between them. Much to my joy. tongue.gif
hidden_death
it's true.
Izumimon
...from a certain point of view XP
ed's secret agent
Is it true that Ed falls in love with Winry?, They both are in love aren't they?

YES
konic vince
I don't really think Ed has feelings for Winry the same way Winry does for Ed. You see it quite a lot, the way Ed acts toward Winry, and the way Winry acts toward Ed. Also, episode 26 is called "Her Reason" and in the preview for the episode Ed says "I've never thought about it. That someone has been thinking about me like that." If that doesn't give it away, I don't know what does
ἀρχή
I agree. i think Ed is oblivious to the fact that Winry has feelings for him.
Izumimon
Also in agreement. *thinks it amusing how many people just agree blindly without justifying why it's "true"*
hitokiri
my personal opinion is that ed demonstrates the most love/feelings/concern/possible indigestion when he is around roze. go ahead and scream all you want fangirls, the fact remains ed doesn't love winry... laugh.gif eat it
Ailuro
Ed is just like every other teenage boy. Oblivious to the obvious.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Feb 5 2005, 02:06 AM)
Oblivious to the obvious.
[snapback]106987[/snapback]

That's like every teenager, isn't it? mellow.gif
Ailuro
Actually, you're probably right. XD
ἀρχή
To be honest, Ed's a loser when it comes to girls dry.gif
sumflip
I don't know if Winry actually has a crush on Ed or is in love with him or whatever...or just cares for him like family..but did anyone notice in episode 27 (titled "Teacher") the episode in which Ed and Al's Sensei finds them, that when Ed and Winry are in that one room alone together, she starts to talk about how she would be with Ed forever and she will build better automail for him and repair it and do whatever he needs so he shouldn't go off with Al to find the philosophers stone (spelling?). Is this an indication of Love (bf/gf) or Love (family)?
Ailuro
Hm, I dunno. She seems to go more out of her way for Ed than for Al. Wouldn't she put forth equal effort for both if she thought of them as brothers? Personally, I think Winry likes Ed as something other than a brother.
MasterVash
Actually this question keeps poping to my mind everytime I saw Ed & Winry toguether...Although I'd like to see some relanshionship between them(I've only watched the series on fansub 'till ep 24) I'm not sure at all it would happen.Ed is shy as any guy of is age would be, but I don't think he notices the feelings she has for him...then again he sometimes seems to like her...(but only a little, not too much I think).I must be wrong but didn't Hughes say to Winry in ep24 "There's no present that can beat your smile?"
This could be nothing but then again he must've noticed that there's something more to those 2 than "Brotherly love" happy.gif
*sigh
I want too see more fullmetal!
hitokiri
i thinks its pretty evident that winry loves ed in a romantic way, however i'm still sticking with my standpoint that ed doesn't love her in the same way.
sumflip
Oh yes, I also remember an episode (forgive me, i can't remember which episode, but I think it's when Ed and Al break into the 5th lab and Al is worried about his memories..whether they're real or not...or at least an episode after that...) where Al says to Ed "...and remember how we were alwayse fighting over who would get to marry Winry?" (or something along those lines..)...I guess that shows that at one point Ed did have a crush on Winry...maybe still does? o.o
hitokiri
but they are refering to the fight flashbacks of when they were at most 5-6 years old. the opinions of children at that age don't count...
Fullmetal Fangirl
"To be honest, Ed's a loser when it comes to girls dry.gif "

maybe...actually, thats true...i think thr just friends. you'd even think they were bros and sis'
Chiyo
My my this is turning into an interesting topic isn't it. Some people have picked out things that even I didn't notice and I look out for them.

So I'm going to throw this in. Anybody follow (or once followed) the Misty/Ash relationship. Did he only love her as a friend/sister and such? Well I did and it drove me mad. This is pretty much the same.

I think Ed is just a bit clueless. When Winry is having an outburst of emotion he always looks surprised. Like when she thinks Mustang is about to attack Ed and Al she screams for him to stop. Then Ed goes 'Winry?'. It's as if he didn't expect her to care. Silly boy.

(Sorry to go on). And the last time you see them together they both blushed a little (mainly Winry) as she braided his hair. See...it's love lol.
Kast
I'm gonna have to side with Chiyo on this one. I mean, it is obvious they care about each other, and this kinda "clueless boy meets loving girl" relationship has existed since television and movies came to be (heck even early literature). If it isn't blatantly obvious they care for each other more than just bro/sis then I don't know what is. Hopefully if the movie turns out to be a post series (god willing) we may see the relationship deepen. I mean, its the ideal love scene, Winly looking up to see a figure (Ed) walking down the road, the sun setting behind him. He finally reaches her, she gasps, runs into his arms crying saying how much she missed him, then the kiss...blah blah blah...formula = cash... cool.gif . Not that I'd have anything against seeing that (big WinlyxEd fan).
ed's secret agent
HUGE WINRY ED FAN.

I'd love that as well.

Winry seems to talk more to Ed than Al and you can see she really cares for both
but really likes Ed more than a brother. In the manga, it's more evident that they
like each other, but the anime doesn't really have that. In ep.9 Ed wishes Winry
would care more for his human parts, than his metal ones. Al comes up and says she does. That kinda signifies somthing... Don't it? biggrin.gif

:wub:UNSEEN ROMANCE:wub:

smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Chiyo
QUOTE(Kast @ Feb 6 2005, 08:40 PM)
I'm gonna have to side with Chiyo on this one. I mean, it is obvious they care about each other, and this kinda "clueless boy meets loving girl" relationship has existed since television and movies came to be (heck even early literature). If it isn't blatantly obvious they care for each other more than just bro/sis then I don't know what is. Hopefully if the movie turns out to be a post series (god willing) we may see the relationship deepen. I mean, its the ideal love scene, Winly looking up to see a figure (Ed) walking down the road, the sun setting behind him. He finally reaches her, she gasps, runs into his arms crying saying how much she missed him, then the kiss...blah blah blah...formula = cash... cool.gif . Not that I'd have anything against seeing that (big WinlyxEd fan).
[snapback]107871[/snapback]

*gets all starry eyed and tearful* I can picture it now...beautiful.
Ailuro
Wow. I'm starting to really like y'all. >>
sumflip
QUOTE(Kast @ Feb 6 2005, 12:40 PM)
[snapback]107871[/snapback]

That would be great ^^...I also am a big WinryxEd fan.
RogueAlchemist
The two of them together would be adorable. *sigh*
L'amour!
Tobu Ishi
I'm another big fan of this pairing. They're the sort of couple you want to just whap lightly over the head and order to notice what's right in front of them. Ed in particular.

I do love the braiding scene, though. Ed's cluelessness cracks a bit, and he blushes. The only other people in the series who get him to blush are Psiren (for obvious reasons) and Rose. And although I do think he's attracted to Rose, I don't think he's ready to be a father, and that cute baby of hers isn't vanishing anytime soon.

Overall, I believe his bond with Winry is much deeper and stronger. Please note how in some of the darkest hours of his life, he thinks of her (the "best automail mechanic" line, for example). They've known each other pretty much all their lives, and that kind of relationship can be incredibly trusting and passionate at the same time. Trust me, falling in love with childhood friends can and does happen; I grew up with a neighbor boy who I fell very much in love with when we hit high school, even (especially) after having played practical jokes on him and being chased around the yard by him on his bike for years. He turned into a total sleazy rat when he went to college and I dropped him like a hot brick, but since I have faith in Ed's integrity, I don't see that ending for these two. happy.gif

Who woulda thunk there would be so many EdWin fans around here? XD
Chiyo
Very good points, the braiding scene is the best.

There are times they are together that we don't see in the anime so we can only guess what happens. Like when Al runs away, I think they start looking the next day, so what happens inbetween them?

I think 'Barry the Chopper' is a good episode as well. Ed runs off to save Winry regardless of the danger he may be putting himself in. And I think he does save her life, if he hadn't turned up Winry may have died.

And...this may just be an Ed/Win fan's thinking, but in that same episode I love it when Winry says 'How long is Ed going to keep me waiting?' He didn't seem to be taking too long now did he? Could she have meant more than waiting for him then? And she carries that screw round to remind her of him.

Thats what I think anyway.
ed's secret agent
Very true Chiyo. They have feelings for each other they don't show.
The anime has cut it [pretty] dry, but the manga shows a whole lot more
of their sentimental side. The anime only shows hints but even though it's not
too obvious, it shows that they kinda like each other... Hopefully, in the
movie, they have some good Ed x Win. I would pay BIG bucks for that.
Izumimon
I don't doubt that there's potential for EdWin, it seems the most likely coupling for Ed, my only note is that it's all potential and left to the viewer's imagination - no "I love yous" are said in the series and they never "get together" per se, so I nulled when I originally answered the topic question. XD No! Ed doesn't fall in love with Winry! You heard that "they're both in love"? Nope, not yet!

It looks pretty darn likely though. tongue.gif Personally I have preference whom either of them end up with, so they may as well get together and please the seeming majority, neh? XD
Kast
Imagination? I can imagine quite a lot (Insert Image of Giant Anime Crossover Battle). Anyways, I think it is safe to assume that all our hopes rest on the movie. Hopefully things will turn out right (right for me = EdxWinly). laugh.gif
Chiyo
*goes hurrah alot*

See, many supporters for something happeneing in the movie. That settles it really doesn't it? Something has to happen or many many people will be heartbroken. If not...we can imagine it does.

And I agree, supporters can imagine quite alot tongue.gif
Rena Elric
It would be sweet if Ed and winry kissed and told each other their true feelings for each other like at the end of the movie or somthing
Tobu Ishi
QUOTE(Rena Elric @ Feb 9 2005, 04:32 PM)
It would be sweet if Ed and winry kissed and told each other their true feelings for each other like at the end of the movie or somthing
[snapback]110266[/snapback]

Well...I think it would be cliche as heck. But maybe that's just me. happy.gif I love EdWin, I just have very few movies that I'm willing to allow to get away with that tired plot device. (Princess Bride is one of them, but that movie revels in its own beautiful cliche-ness.)
Dark State
They are in some type of love...if its not man and woman love, its brother to sister love. But they do have a close bond.

By the way that Winry cares so much for Ed throughout the series, it can be implied that they are in love.
Chiyo
So many clever people here...I love you all tongue.gif

I think Winry would beat Ed with a wrench when she finally saw him after two years. Then there would be a calmer side to it. Like when Izumi beats Ed and Al up...then hugs them.

I hope we see 'other world Winry' in the movie. That would be interesting. Hmmm? *goes off to write fanfic*
Asakura_yoh
lol... XP that's cool and i believe they both do like each other ^^
ed's secret agent
Chiyo! I love your avatar! Ed kissing Win, eh? nice choice. biggrin.gif

........?

Oh, yeah... Ed walks around Winry in his boxers a lot. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? wink.gif
Chiyo
QUOTE(ed's secret agent @ Feb 10 2005, 10:41 PM)

........?

Oh, yeah... Ed walks around Winry in his boxers a lot. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? wink.gif
[snapback]110940[/snapback]

*cough* I havn't posted any of those pictures on this site at all *cough*

Oh yea I noticed. She walks in and notices he's only in his boxers and gets flustered. He however says it's okay. Then when she screams she goes to hide behind him instead of leave the room which would have been quicker.
Just something I noticed.
ed's secret agent
ED X WINRY ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!!!!!!!
[although I'm not wearing any]

Ummmmm.... Just wanted to say that, sorry.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST.
Queen of the dammed
Not exactly KISS... more of hugging with tears of joy.... tongue.gif
Tobu Ishi
QUOTE(ed's secret agent @ Feb 10 2005, 02:41 PM)

........?

[snapback]110940[/snapback]

http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com:81/foru...?showtopic=3082 ^_~*

But you've already seen it, e.s.a.
Chiyo
Shameless self advertising...but I'm so glad you did. I should go back and look through the fanfics thoroughly. Ed/Win fans are more abundent then I thought. 'Course, this fills me with joy.
AA battery
Umm, hope I won't get killed for posting here... o.o I do agree all those hints you guys said (and do agree that Winry likes Ed...)

I did start out to be a EdWin fan when I first watch the series... but as I watch more, I kinda dropped that pairing and, well don't have any specific favourite other than RoyRiza... Reason being...

- I do believe that Winry has feelings for Ed, but Ed probably only treat her like an older sister...

- Ed MIGHT have feelings for Winry too, but he has got bigger things to worry about than Winry (He feels guilty for what happened to Al so... before he get that fixed, EdWin won't happen/he won't realize his feelings for Winry.)

- I would think EdRoze is better if you call those little blushes of Ed are crushes and love for Winry... *gets tosses tomatoes and eggs* okok, what I mean is... we are teenagers so it's complete normal that we blush with guys do us something "special"... like tutoring or helping with something or some sort... those are not love... just... feelings (not love, but from the care that we are receiving) Better explaination would be... 99.9% of the time Ed is with a guy (Alphonse most of the time, then, those military guys) so when a girl does something caring for him, well, normally you would blush... (Well, a guy with a girlfriend offers me a ride once a while and I would blush for that cuz that's caring... also, he is good looking XD but doesn't mean I love him that way =\)

- the Ed and Al fight to marry WInry: wellll... when I was in grade 4 I was fighting with like 3 other girls on this really cute boy (with good grades and nice personality) but that doesn't mean I would still go fpr him now... those are only puppy love

- Ed thinking of Winry as automail Mechanic... well, afterall it's his arm it gotta remind him of her when he sees it... also, he has got like, no family left other than Al, and he is a hollow suit of armor ;-; so the only family he got left are Winry and Pinako-baachan... and Winry is a childhood friend so she is the one he would think about the most other than Al and Trisha...

- don't you think it would be unfair to Alphonse if Ed and Winry do get together? ohmy.gif (finally, the true reason why I don't go for Ed and Winry... XD I think it's unfair to Al and Ed probably won't do that to depress Al... I know this is a stupid reason but whatever XDDDD *Alphonse-fangirl power*)

- I REPEAT, BLUSHING DOESN'T MEAN LOVE!!! I blush even when my FEMALE friends do me something nice... or when someone buys me something... even when my mom ties my hair because she rarely does that... does that mean I am a lesbian? HELL NO. It's the caring part that counts wink.gif

- Detective Conan fans: if EdWin does get to as obvious as ShinRan... then sure, EdWin is the bean XD... but they are not like ShinRan altho Shinichi and Ran were also childhood friends, they did more obvious things like, blush WHENEVER they think of each other, Ran making valentine chocolate for Shinichi, Shinichi risking his life for Ran... etc if Ed and Winry do that then they are obviously the right pairing XD (non-DC fans: neither of Shinichi and Ran has proposed their love for each other yet)

- Ed saving Winry from Barry: cuz they are like siblings... Ed would do the same for Al and I am sure Winry would do the same for both of them... 2 weeks ago I just saved me friend from getting hit by a car and I ended up twisting my ankle... (couldn't walk for 2 days) doesn't mean I love her in that sense...

- Lastly... I just don't think that, there will be any EdWin scene in the movie... I mean, RoyRiza is obvious too but there wasn't any special scene of those two in the anime.... Also, FMA is not of romance genre so I totally doubt.... (I doubt there would be EdWin for manga too) and if Ed were to hug someone... it's probably Al first because after all, he spent 15 years of his life with him all the time, and for his 12 - 15 years, all he had in mind was to "find the philosopher's stone and restore Al"... the thing he most look forward to should be seeing the restored Al... shouldn't it? o.o

*flees before she gets killed by EdWin!fans... no, I don't hate EdWin, it's just that I don't think Ed likes her in that way yet, and not because I want Ed in my possession because I AM AN ALPHONSE-FANGIRL!! and I don't care about Ed as much _;*
Nemu
Hm. I don't really agree. Would you fall in love with your sister?

Ed views Winry more as a sister, from what I gathered. She mothers them and worries about them and wrenches Ed and stuff.

I think Al and Winry would work much better. Ed just... doesn't look at girls like that yet, while Al seems a bit more mature concerning that department.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.