Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: God
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
love_me_destroyer
@X: WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!? It's not! I had NO Idea!!!!
Gashole
Which alchemy are you talking about? There was alchemy the pseudoscience back in the Middle Ages. As for the alchemy in FMA, it's more magic than science.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 28 2005, 07:57 PM)
I was referring to the atheists in this FMA community.

Science is just like religion. It's just another way to look at the world. And scientists are not really smart. They invent symbols and pictures that only people from that community understand. If scientists go to the Literature/Art Club, they wouldn't be "smart" there, would they?
[snapback]100548[/snapback]

It makes me sick to see how much people are a slave to science. It's a lot less exact than people think. There is a lot of philosophical assumptions made in the very methodology that is assumed. For instance, people think that a law of science is proven to always be true, but this isn't the case. A law is simply something that has never been proven to not be true. It also has never been dis-proved so much and has been so repeatable that it is strongly felt to be always true.

The appeal of science is that it's pragmatic as opposed to other theoretical fields.
alchemist x
I hate science. I get bad scores in it
dragonofchaos
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 28 2005, 06:01 PM)
Which alchemy are you talking about? There was alchemy the pseudoscience back in the Middle Ages. As for the alchemy in FMA, it's more magic than science.
[snapback]100569[/snapback]

how about both now... oh and explain why
alchemist x
You guys make my brain hurt X(
Ailuro
Wow, we've gone from using Egg McMuffins to prove God's existence to claiming that science can be shown as a religion. blink.gif
Gashole
Umm... aren't you in 11th grade? Wouldn't hurt to do some research on your own. Who knows, maybe you could use it for your junior paper.

Click here for alchemy the pseudoscience.

As for alchemy in FMA, it's clearly magic. You draw a circle, put a broken radio on top on it, and voila, it's fixed. Huh.
love_me_destroyer
Shut up X. D'you have any idea how dumb you sound?
dragonofchaos
then go to the angst forum... oh and most of the posts i made here used little though to create(hint hint on the bad grammar)
ἀρχή
Why even talk about alchemy. It has no relation to what's being talked about with regards to God. If you want to talk about sin, you'll have to work hard on first establishing the nature of God and humanity and the relationship between God and Humanity.

In other words, you'll have a lot of work to do if you really want to talk about this respectably, but I imagine being respected isn't everyone's goal here dry.gif
alchemist x
Huh?
Oh yeah it just happens ed the alchemist happens to be athiest[not much relitivity]
dragonofchaos
oh you are just upset because you don' know the answer well i do and the answer is no because god usd alchemy to dreate every thing yet didn't give us the power to use alchemy becuase he feared we would some day use it against him
alchemist x
Umm okay I guess.
love_me_destroyer
Ed's not an Atheist. He thinks that humans have a 'soul'.
Gashole
Oh, no, I'm just upset because I've wasted my time (again) talking to someone who has no understanding of what people are saying.

@lmd: What is that, quoting from me? tongue.gif
alchemist x
QUOTE(love_me_destroyer @ Jan 28 2005, 07:13 PM)
[snapback]100603[/snapback]

Shut up loser, yes ed is an athiest, he said so himself
love_me_destroyer
You don't pay any attention to the show. So for the love of your god, shut up.
dragonofchaos
I smile for I turned this thread from god to ed's religon which is most likely similar to buddhism becuase he beleive that people have a soul, but the people who translated the anime translated it wrong because they always do stuff like that
Gashole
QUOTE(alchemist x @ Jan 28 2005, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE(love_me_destroyer @ Jan 28 2005, 07:13 PM)
[snapback]100603[/snapback]

Shut up loser, yes ed is an athiest, he said so himself
[snapback]100608[/snapback]

Does what people say about themselves make it true? I know a lot of people who say they're cool, but the truth says otherwise.

It's pretty sad that someone wants to be an atheist just because an anime character is one. Talk about idolizing.
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 28 2005, 06:10 PM)
Why even talk about alchemy. It has no relation to what's being talked about with regards to God. If you want to talk about sin, you'll have to work hard on first establishing the nature of God and humanity and the relationship between God and Humanity.

In other words, you'll have a lot of work to do if you really want to talk about this respectably, but I imagine being respected isn't everyone's goal here dry.gif
[snapback]100595[/snapback]

Alchemy is nothing close to being God. Snap your fingers like Roy does and all you'll do is burn up tongue.gif
love_me_destroyer
@Gashole:What? I've ben an Atheist since before i started watching the show. That very notion is totaly ridiculous .
ἀρχή
I just love reading the terrible arguments smile.gif. Makes me so happy I have the ability to think logically. That's what you should appreciate Gassy. Just sit back and enjoy smile.gif.
dragonofchaos
look lets have an open mind ets just say alchemy does exsist then would it be a sin
ἀρχή
Again, you'd have to talk about the nature of God, humanity and the relation between the two. This requires far more background than you're realizing, otherwise you're just spitting out nonesense.
Gashole
@lmd: Again, I'll make sure I'll be referring to you the next time I talk.
Slashrose1010
I believe in neither complete science or complete creationism... More like a belief in both. I do believe we evolved from prime-apes. But someone had to create matter, the universe, in order for something to evolve.

People who use science as an end-all answer just do that because they are either afraid or insecure. They need something tangible to believe in. (Golden Calf)
dragonofchaos
@arche:look just answer the question
love_me_destroyer
@Gashole: Why retain all that disdain/anger? Just bury the hatchet, I don't see why I need to be the butt of your ridicule.
Gashole
That's only because you keep assuming that I'm talking about/to you. What anger/disdain?
ἀρχή
DOC: I can't.
Gashole
Heh, you call him DOC now? laugh.gif
love_me_destroyer
Oh. Well that does explain a lot....Sorry.
Gashole
Yea, don't assume. You're only making an ass of u and me.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 28 2005, 08:30 PM)
Heh, you call him DOC now? laugh.gif
[snapback]100646[/snapback]

Well, to write out the full screen name would have been longer than my answer tongue.gif
dragonofchaos
and way is that arche don't have an open mind
Gashole
Please define "open mind."
ἀρχή
QUOTE(dragonofchaos @ Jan 28 2005, 08:32 PM)
and way is that arche don't have an open mind
[snapback]100655[/snapback]

Can you type a bit better, so I can actually understand what you're saying first time. It's hard for me to constantly correct your writing in my head.

I can't answer the question because I don't really know what you're talking about with alchemy. Just saying it's FMA alchemy isn't enough. Define what FMA alchemy is and then I'll see if I can answer it (I'm not wasting my time defining it tongue.gif)
Slashrose1010
@DOC: I feel that Arche is very open minded
dragonofchaos
i mean in general is alchemy(any kind) a sin
Gashole
What about it?? Be specific. I can't read your mind.
dragonofchaos
look you should have some idea what alchemy is what i am asking is : is alchemy in general a sin
ἀρχή
FMA alchemy gets pretty deep overall and there's a lot of nuances to it as well as what actually fuels it. You'll have to get into spoilers and post the detail of what you think FMA alchemy is for me to answer.

I don't like just saying things without actually thinking about them unless I'm just joking around. I'm not into joking around on this thread, so I'll need info.

FYI: I know I'm no fun when I'm serious, but I'm used to technical philosophy, so just talking like this requires more thought for me.
dragonofchaos
just answer yes or no already
ἀρχή
QUOTE(dragonofchaos @ Jan 28 2005, 08:43 PM)
just  answer yes or no already
[snapback]100679[/snapback]

You're not giving me proper question. When you ask the question properly, I will contribute. Say all you want about me now. I think I've eaned enough respect here for people to understand why I wouldn't just answer the question blindly.
Gashole
This is one of those times when being coherent pays off.
Slashrose1010
Arche, in regards information and moral situations contained in FMA, do you consider alchemy to be a vice or is it just labeled so by religious radicals?

Is that better?
dragonofchaos
look i explained that in mean in general you can use any alchemy for the sake of the forum use FMA alchemy ok is that kind of alchemy a sin
ἀρχή
To be honest, using alchemy would have the same moral impact as doing anything else, but that assumes that alchemy is simply face value parlor trick stuff (i.e. fixing radio type stuff).
Ailuro
This is a bit off topic, but might I suggest using proper grammar and spelling when arguing a point, DOC? It brings you more respect and more people will take you seriously. mellow.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.