Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sailor Moon!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Alchemist414
Sailor Moon, known as Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon (美少女戦士セーラームーン Bishōjo Senshi Sērā Mūn?, officially translated Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon)[1] in Japan. Co-produced by TV Asahi, Toei Agency and Toei Animation, started airing only a month after the first issue of the manga was published. With 200 episodes airing from March 1992 to February 1997 on TV Asahi.
(Source - Wiki)

Plot Summary: One day, Usagi Tsukino, clumsy 2nd-year middle school student (8th grader), stumbles upon a talking cat named Luna. Luna tells her that she is destined to be Sailor Moon, "champion of love and justice", and she must search for the fabled Moon Princess. Usagi finds friends that turn out to be destined senshi as well, and together they fight to save the world from the certain doom brought upon by the Dark Kingdom (Queen Beryl, the generals, Metallia).

Genres: action, comedy, magic, romance, science fiction
Themes: animals as advisors, bishoujo, henshin, magical girl, secret identity, sentai, superhero
Episodes: 200
Age Rating: PG
(Source - ANN)

Impact SM RULES! IS ANY! HERE?
xrninja
EDIT: ahh, sailor moon was classic. i liked the first arc of episodes.....i think it was the first anime series i ever watched smile.gif of course, i haven't seen it since 7th or 8th grade....
blueices
I fell like I can't ever say anything bad about it since it was the first anime I ever saw.

(I remember fondly buying Canadian fansubs from VKLL when I was in the 8th grade) laugh.gif

Looking back the show was rather repetitive. (but then again, so is DBZ and a number of other shows) Out of all the seasons, Superstars was definitely the best.
Quistis88
(blackflame's post is deleted due to horrid language and grammar)
alchemist of the blue sky
Salior Moon rocks! When I was little I always wanted to be like Serena! laugh.gif
alchemist101
dry.gif I don't think they rock. But I do know that they hot biggrin.gif
Kitoky
I give Sailor Moon SOME credit since its the one anime that got me into anime - I used to love Sailor Moon when I was what, 6? 7? But now it's way to girly for my health. *is a tomboy*
blueices
Lol, Agreed. Sailormoon was just about the only shoujo anime I ever saw. Sailormoon was quickly followed by Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and then darker and darker stuff laugh.gif

Well there was a brief hiatus in serious anime when I watched Cardcaptor Sakura (I can't help being a clamp fan) laugh.gif
Chibi-Usa
I luv SM!And you can obviously see that,my name is Chibi-Usa!
blueices
Chibi-Usa in SuperS was really cute. (The season where she fell in love with that Pegasus guy) EEk! I forgot his real name! (He had a cute human form wink.gif )
But Chibi-Chibi just knocked the scale over in uber-cuteness rolleyes.gif
Chibi-Usa
Chibi-Chibi was cute.She's one of my favorites
Kitoky
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 28 2005, 10:47 AM)
Chibi-Usa in SuperS was really cute.  (The season where she fell in love with that Pegasus guy)  EEk! I forgot his real name! (He had a cute human form  wink.gif  )
But Chibi-Chibi just knocked the scale over in uber-cuteness rolleyes.gif
[snapback]100148[/snapback]

The guy = Helios. Or 'Elios sometimes.

Yes, I was quite the Sailor Moon fan back then. U.U
Kihaku
Hmm.. the first time I found about Sailor Moon was when I was reading the anime comic. I really loved it ad regretted not being able to see the anime wink.gif. When I finally did, I liked it too. Sure it was a little repetetive, but I suppose since I hadn't really seen much anime I didn't know how to compare. When I finally got the chance to see all the episodes due to the reruns I kind of gave up. I saw how awful it was... I know it still has some assets and some epsiodes are really great but it's stretched way too much. I still like whatever I've read from the manga.
Somehow I kind of regret not giving it another chance... I'd like to see the end of the first season again. I really liked that. I didn't fancy the second that much... but I wished that they wouldn't have stopped showing it... despite everything I would have like to watch the series(somewhat) to the end.
Hmm....my favourite character is Minako/Sailor Venus wink.gif. I can somehow identify with her and we have the same birthday! smile.gif
I never fancied Usagi/Sailor Moon that much.. but I liked Chibiusa even less.. sorry.tongue.gif I find them both whiny and annoying..
blueices
I remember reading the superstars manga a long time ago. It deviated from the anime in a number of ways and was rather dramatic as well right?
Kihaku
Hmm.. that sounds interesting..
I've only read the first two volumes of the manga. *sighs*
But I was surprised how different (and much better) it was from the anime.
blueices
The manga is definetely is less repititive. (You would like the 5th and last anime season because it is much less repetitive than the other seasons)

But I'll give the anime credit with really improving the quality of animation towards the end of the series. I'll always remember the quality of the last episode of SuperS being very very good.
Dancing Alchemist
I like Saior Moon cause that was like the first anime I liked when I was 5 or 6.
AlchemistEd
Sailormoon was my first anime I had gotten into.I love it.Has anyone seen Sailor Moon Live Action or however the name is?
Kitoky
Yeah, Sailor Moon Live Action (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon). I think it's interesting and I'd like to see it but unfortunately, I can't download it anywhere besides bittorent (and bittorent sucks for me so).

I love Miyuu as 'Sagi and Shibue Jyoji as Mamoru.
AlchemistEd
Yea their really cool.I went out and bought the live action series online.
Kitoky
How is it?

*clings* Pleeease, is there any way you can get the episodes to me? *puppy dog eyes*
Quistis88
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 28 2005, 04:06 PM)
The manga is definetely is less repititive. (You would like the 5th and last anime season because it is much less repetitive than the other seasons)
[snapback]100390[/snapback]

Personally, I didn't really like the anime, but I LOVE the manga. The artwork is absolutely beautiful, especially when the costumes and gowns become a little more complicated. The manga artwork is far more superior.
Kihaku
Yup. I also really loved the art and the costumes.. at least the glasses give a little credit to the poor people who don't recongnize the Sailor Scouts... tongue.gif
I'd love to read it till the end.. *sighs*
I'll probably never get to see the 5th season of the anime, because I doubt it will be aired here. Still.. I think I remember reading that in the anime comic (I only read the last ones I believe) and that was what got me interested in SM.
I'd really like to see the live-action too.. It sounds so interesting. biggrin.gif
Kitoky
I have a question about the manga. I have two volumes - volume 5 and volume 11, is volume 11 part of the main storyline? I know there's that movie about Kakeru and Luna in human form, but I'm just really confused...

And does the manga only come in that pocket edition that small pocket size? Because those can easily come apart especially the pages. >.<
Quistis88
I have some of the manga (in traditional Chinese) in normal manga size, usually from earlier on in the series. Vol. 11 is supposed to be a side story (one of my favorites, actually). smile.gif
AlchemistEd
QUOTE(Kitoky @ Jan 30 2005, 03:22 AM)
How is it?

*clings*  Pleeease, is there any way you can get the episodes to me?  *puppy dog eyes*
[snapback]102053[/snapback]

I'm sorry I don't know how to do that.I'm not good with a comp.sorry
Gashole
Occasionally the manga artwork can be cute and some of the episodes were just stupid they actually made me laugh.

However:
1) How on earth does anyone not recognize the Sailor Scout when they're only changing their clothes and wearing some accessories?? They're not even changing their hairstyle or wearing a mask or anything!
2) What is up with that Haruka guy? Even though he originally is a guy, later on "he" always appears as a woman?
3) The Sailor Stars, too. They're guys but when they transform they're wearing bikinis? Are they cross-dressers or transvestites?
4) Uh, there are some unnecessary images disturbing for the young minds.
5) All of the girls except for Amy are whiny, air-headed, and annoying in general. Venus was OK at first but after she joins the team she becomes more like Usagi.
6) Old characters and friends (e.g. Naru) mysteriously disappear.
7) All the guys, except for Mamoru, look alike it's confusing.
8) Who is Chibi Chibi?? It's never become clear to me.
9) How is it the reborn-Hotaru goes from a small kid to taller than Chibiusa?

< Complains too much.

@Quis: Is vol 11 the one with the Luna story?
Quistis88
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 30 2005, 10:41 PM)
However:
1) How on earth does anyone not recognize the Sailor Scout when they're only changing their clothes and wearing some accessories?? They're not even changing their hairstyle or wearing a mask or anything!
2) What is up with that Haruka guy? Even though he originally is a guy, later on "he" always appears as a woman?
3)  The Sailor Stars, too. They're guys but when they transform they're wearing bikinis? Are they cross-dressers or transvestites?
4) Uh, there are some unnecessary images disturbing for the young minds.
5) All of the girls except for Amy are whiny, air-headed, and annoying in general. Venus was OK at first but after she joins the team she becomes more like Usagi.
6) Old characters and friends (e.g. Naru) mysteriously disappear.
7) All the guys, except for Mamoru, look alike it's confusing.
8) Who is Chibi Chibi?? It's never become clear to me.
9) How is it the reborn-Hotaru goes from a small kid to taller than Chibiusa?

< Complains too much.

@Quis: Is vol 11 the one with the Luna story?
[snapback]103045[/snapback]

1) Because people are stupid.
2) Haruka is a cross-dressing lesbian. Best answer I can give at the moment.
3) Sailor Stars aren't really guys, I guess. Just masculine girls.
4) Very unnecessary.
5) I actually own the first Sailor Venus volume in Chinese. A prequel of sorts. She was cooler before Usagi's influence.
6) Because people are stupid.
7) Because people are stupid, and Mamoru should stand out because he's all "special."
8) Chibi Chibi is [spoiler]Sailor Cosmos, a(n alternate?) future form of Sailor Moon[/spoiler]
9) Because people are stupid.

< Likes it when Gashole complains.

@Gashole: Yes, it's the Luna one, with the hot astronomer.
blueices
1) no clue, I agree its odd
2) Haruka is a female, she just dresses up like a guy at times
3) They're actually female too but took on a male appearance on earth
4) Which ones? Now I'm kind of curious
5) Ami was one of my faves. (Her aqua raphosody attack was pretty) happy.gif The rest have their ditsy moments but thankfully they are sometimes rather serious (it all depends on the situation i guess) Most of the time there's no saving Usagi laugh.gif (well, except for during season finales)
6) Agreed with Quistis there (stupid)
7) hmm, never thought about it.. (I guess cause there aren't all that many male characters to begin with??)
8) Quistis gives away the manga scenario in a nutshell, but it was actually quite different in the anime:
[spoiler] Chibi-Chibi was actually Sailor Galaxia's star seed ("The Light of Hope") (Sort of like her soul incarnate into a cute little girl) Sailor Galaxia had sealed Chaos into herself. This lead to her body's corruption. So before it fully took over her, she sent out her star seed so that some day it could be used to fully defeat Chaos...(It's a bit weird to explain...sorry!) ph34r.gif

Sailor Galaxia was my favorite character for quite sometime back then (I love the bad guys!) [/spoiler]

9) In the anime: Nehelenia's attack forces her awakening so she rapidly grows to a sailor senshi age.
Ultimately:
[spoiler] Sailor Galaxia had been manipulating Nehelenia to cause trouble and force Hotaru's reawakening...She wanted to get as many star-seeds as possible...and Hotaru's wouldn't be worth getting if she was still a baby without powers[/spoiler]

Considering I haven't watched my old fansubs in about 4yrs, I hope I explained most of this properly laugh.gif
Gashole
@Quis: Ah, I like that volume, too, then. biggrin.gif (I'd have more to complain about it and more if I had my manga with me.)

@blue:
4) A LOT. One of the most obvious in vol 6, I think, at the very beginning.
6) For some reason Umino and Chibiusa's middle-school gang come to mind.
7) Yea, I think almost all of the guys look pretty much like that video-game guy. The hairstyle, at least.

Another question:
10) When Pluto dies, is she eventually revived or is that Pluto from the future who dies and the one Sailor Moon meets is the one from the present? huh.gif
blueices
@gashole (about #4) Oh, so that was only referring to the manga, then? (I only read the manga from the sailorstars arc...so I guess I'm out of the loop there happy.gif)

10) That confused me quite a bit too
I think I had guessed that the future version of herself died.
If the present version of herself died, then how could a future version of herself exist? @_@ That problem's a rather confusing plothole, I think. (Either that, or I'm really rusty on my random SM knowledge)

I vaguely remember her saying in the fifth season that she was able to come back because "time has surprising twists and turns" (or something like that)
That sort of answer really didn't explain her return at all laugh.gif
Kihaku
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 30 2005, 10:41 PM)
However:
[snapback]103045[/snapback]

That was probably the thing that annoyed me the most... and of course they'll just change their clothes to a more revealing version of their original outfit...
(Again.. at least they had the masks in the manga... still that is hardly a disguise)

3) I thought the Sailor Stars were men who changed into women.. tongue.gif Argh.. ranma 1/2 must have been influencing me...tongue.gif

5) hmm.. I remember reading somewhere that Sailor Moon was based on Sailor Venus... they were similar characters, but I think Usagi was made a little more extreme.. tongue.gif
I'd really like the SV manga... and it's only 3 volumes.. I never found it while I was in Germany...
Bling_bling_Angel
*sighs* Sailor Moon was my first anime ever... happy.gif I was 5 years old... I thought is was awesome, and I still do, for that, matter... I juss don't like the *cough* UranusXNeptune crap and all that lesbian stuff... dry.gif
alchemist of the blue sky
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Feb 1 2005, 01:17 AM)
*sighs* Sailor Moon was my first anime ever... happy.gif I was 5 years old... I thought is was awesome, and I still do, for that, matter... I juss don't like the *cough* UranusXNeptune crap and all that lesbian stuff... dry.gif
[snapback]103729[/snapback]

Were any of them actually lesbians? I don't remember that *gross**throw up*
And they actually let kids watch it! sad.gif
Oh, well! I still like it anyway! laugh.gif
Black Rose
what's wrong with lesbians?
(believe it or not I haven't heard about sailor moon till now!!!)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

[img]http://www.imagevenue.com/loc242/1d9_mask.gif[/img]

[img]http://img3.imagevenue.com/loc220/a19_moon_trans.gif[/img]

[img]http://img2.imagevenue.com/loc139/f2c_trans_mars.gif[/img]

well just something for sailormoon fans feel free to save any u like!!
Gashole
Nothing except for it's not even lesbianism as Haruka's gender is not determinable.

I'm more annoyed that the clothes the girls wear barely cover themselves and the mangaka seems to have a fetish of drawing semi and/or fully naked girls. (Hint: See the manga.)
Kihaku
Which is probably a reason for guys to like Sailor Moon tongue.gif

Yeah.. and I heard that Haruka was made into a guy (trapped in a woman's body) in the American dub.. *sighs*
becsuse of the kids. Jeez....I don't consider being aware of the existence of lesbians harmful for kids.
I actually think that it's educating to teach kids to be more accepting..
gays and lesbians... In my opinion that would be one of SM's assets. biggrin.gif
(Oh and I agree that setting girls with revealing clothes as an example for young girls is worse)
Kitoky
And it's not like there's no other anime that doesn't have lesbians or gays (as Kihaku should know tongue.gif)
Kihaku
So true! wink.gif
Although... those anime are usually aimed at a "more mature audience".. whatever that means.... tongue.gif
Black Rose
don't think any1's interested but I found more animations

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

[img]http://img1.imagevenue.com/loc104/ed8_trans_venus.gif[/img]

[img]http://img3.imagevenue.com/loc211/c47_transjupiter.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.imagevenue.com/loc256/1ee_soo_mean.gif[/img]
Kihaku
They're cute wink.gif:
Sailor Moon crying and looking all pathetic... is my favourite. It describes her so well..tongue.gif
And of course I like the Sailor Venus transformation.. Since she's my favourite character and all...
Kitoky
I'd have to say Usagi's my favorite. I don't know why - but she's one few female characters I like in ANY anime.
blueices
I'm a fan of badass characters (or evil ones) hehehe

I guess thats why I always thought Hakura was cool and Sailor Galaxia was amazing. (Not many girls can wear armor and still look pretty, slim, and utterly powerful) happy.gif
Very, very interesting.. wink.gif I don't really like female characters either, but Usagi would represent the type I dislike the most.. tongue.gif
She reminds me too much of myself.. also kind of like Minako.. but probably more and in a more negative way.. tongue.gif
I can't stand her whining and pathetic attitude... Although she does have some spirit sometimes when it's required...
Kihaku
Argh.. tongue.gif That was me.. tongue.gif I forgot to login...
Black Rose
soz forgot to add save any u like!!! wacko.gif
I got more if any1 wants me to put them up!!!!
(or am I annoying u guys with all my animations?)
Red alchemist of the sky
QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 5 2005, 10:07 AM)
Very, very interesting.. wink.gif I don't really like female characters either, but Usagi would represent the type I dislike the most.. tongue.gif
She reminds me too much of myself.. also kind of like Minako.. but  probably more and in a more negative way.. tongue.gif
I can't stand her whining and pathetic attitude...  Although she does have some spirit sometimes when it's required...
[snapback]107054[/snapback]

biggrin.gif I LOVE the girls. they are so CUTE! biggrin.gif
Black Rose
anything to do with their skimpy outfits bro? wink.gif
shogunskey
salior moon for me really started me watching anime since it was the first one i ever

saw(remembering older times). i always watched it just because they were cute

(heavy sigh)
Chibi-Usa
In the japanese version Usagi wasn't as whiny as she was in the english one.I don't know why they did that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.