Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Manga Or Fma Anime (first Series) ?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Omakase Shimasu
Hi there! I've got a poll for everyone concerning the preferences of all you FMA fans out there; Manga or Anime? Original work from Arakawa-sensei or Bones' anime version?

Of course, it would be great if you could give a comment abour why, how, what etc. etc. So please, feel free to leave a message! Anything! happy.gif

Hmmm, mellow.gif you know I'm a bit surprised someone didn't get this poll up before me. happy.gif;; Or I'm being very ignorant of people's opinions 'till now. Anywayz, this poll's up!

- - - - - - - - - -

Hmmm, I'm prone to blunder whenever I get the chance. Vael, don't laugh. dry.gif

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to our new Moderator Chibi_Viki this poll is now offically open! So c'mon, join the fun and vote!!
Maliza
theres something wrong with the pool O.O"

but MANGA forever!!
(and most ppl here know why - the amount of Roy/Riza-ness)
-and also because the manga will still last years (i don't know if it will be good for my brain...)-
Omakase Shimasu
happy.gif;; A-ha, so it is! I tried to rectify my little mistake, but it seems the poll itself isn't edit-able.

Still, you can scribble down your comments. happy.gif I can just keep a tab on the votes or something manually (???).

On a side-note; Anyone know how to make it right, maybe?
Manga, better character developments, better plot and mystery, a sounder structure.
unknown2
agreed.The manga is the original one and the anime messed things up.Hughes' deth seemed more touchin in the manga too.I just watsch the anime to see something for a change.
RolfKaese
nope, i think the hughes death in anime was touchier. nearly cried. so its anime here.
WarzoneCommand
for editing your poll, you should ask a moderator, they CAN edit a poll

For the poll itself:

hmm. thats a good one, I saw the first anime episode just 3 weeks ago, I watched 1 t/m 38 in two days, and I realy liked it so I came here, I looked arround, registerd, made my first topic, there people said I should read the manga, so I read chapt. 26 - 37, and there we are. I must say, some things are in the manga lot cooler than in the anime ( fuhrer, RoyxRiza wink.gif ) so I think manga, but for me it is good the poll isn't good yet, so i can think about it some more biggrin.gif
Omakase Shimasu
for editing your poll, you should ask a moderator, they CAN edit a poll

Moderator, gotcha. Thanks, WarzoneCommand!

Poll: Manga or Anime

Manga: 3
Anime: 1

and one undecided
Aqua_Alchemist
Err the poll still isn't working. But for the vote I will say manga, since it has the time to stray off and go into backstory and add the lovable characters from Xing. The anime has definetly had it's moments, but at this moment i'd say I prefer the manga.
The_Lazy_Alchemist
Your poll is funny. Not insulting you, just saying that it fits the people who can't decide.

I prefer...anime. Great animation and great music. Plots develop quickly and it's rather fun to watch the characters actually moving and blundering and whatnot.

But the manga is quite good in terms of plot. Especially with the last few chapters. The characters from Xing are great and even Barry the Chopper isn't too bad. Very anxious too see chapter 38.

It's hard to decide since both the manga and anime have become much different from each other. Both plots are great so far and they both have wonderful character development.
ScaR
Actually i dunno unsure.gif
Chibi Viki
manga for me!

at first i thought the anime was better since it felt more human (and Roy's character was a big improvement from the manga)

but after a few chapters and afew episodes later, I changed my mind and am definitely for the manga. (and it's not only because of the RoyxRiza, hehehe)

I definitely like winry better in the manga, as well as izumi and sig (so lovey-dovey). I like the manga's current plot and the events that are unfolding. everytime a chapter ends, it's always a cliffhanger. and there are scenes which are truly climactic (like when the military invaded devil's nest and greed's final moment)

the anime is starting to exagerate its story, the plot is slowly becoming predictable, and frankly, it's starting to bore me. sad.gif
RoyxRiza BigFan
mmm the anime good points were mainly dramatizing the emotional parts like hughe's untimely depature and greed's story

the manga has a kickss furher and royxriza flirting at its best with hot chinese chicks tongue.gif and izumi to bag
Chibi Viki
QUOTE(RoyxRiza BigFan @ Aug 3 2004, 03:41 PM)
the manga has a kickss furher and royxriza flirting at its best with hot chinese chicks tongue.gif and izumi to bag

^^;; ahehehe...
Omakase Shimasu
OK, note to moderator has been sent, hopefully the poll will work soon. wink.gif

Manga:
Anime: 2
Undecided: 2 (3)

And it seems most people are preferring manga over anime. Should I be surprised? blink.gif Oh and to RizaxRoy BigFan happy.gif;; I wasn't sure if you preferred one over the other, so I put you in the 'undecided' category. If this isn't correct just give me a sign and I'll edit it immediately!

And to Lazy_Alchemist, no offense taken. cool.gif

Not insulting you, just saying that it fits the people who can't decide.

laugh.gif I see what you mean!
TrueAlchemist
I cannot decide.
I will choose both, if there is a choice.

Unlike Samurai Deep Kyo, FMA anime has a great story line even though it chose the different path from the manga. Unfortunately, there is many holes in the story, but I still cannot wait for ep44. I think the story became some what really bigger in depth because there might be a super natural force that controls homuculii. But, it is not confirmed yet because no one knows who the evil dude is.

Manga is great. the story is getting wider unlike anime.
In manga, we know that evil dude is some super alchemist. Hopefully, it is not Al and Ed's father. So, evil guy is at least human. And, now there are alchemists and some fighting forces from east.

I really cannot wait for both anime an manga.
~Crystal_Starz~
Manga all the way... the plot is so much better and more mysterious... the anime has completely ditched the storyline...
Chibi Viki
QUOTE(TrueAlchemist @ Aug 5 2004, 04:16 AM)
In manga, we know that evil dude is some super alchemist.  Hopefully, it is not Al and Ed's father.  So, evil guy is at least human.  And, now there are alchemists and some fighting forces from east. 

i really think that it IS Hohenheim. but you have to question what that contraption he was 'plugged-into' was...

hehe, those guys from the east, Ling and his guardians, plus that kid Mei...
Kasumi
I think that's Hohenheim too...The impression that I got after reading the Perfect Guide Book, I wouldn't exactly consider him 'human.' If anybody wants me to translate the little passage on 'Father' aka the 'bad guy' then tell me.
RoyxRiza BigFan
omakase: yeah i am more neutral, both anime and manga has its strong distinct points to me
TrueAlchemist
It might be HoenHeim, but doesn't that makes Homuculi as Ed and Al's brother?
I mean they are created by the same person. Ed and Al are created by natural way. laugh.gif
, but the others are not Hoenheim's children, but they are still created by him.

I personally do not think Hoenheim as an evil dude.
If he is, why does he plan to make Eric brothers as incomplete stone?
And, I think he is plugged into some device. How can he marry and have children if he stuck in the basement?

But, we cannot ignor the fact that he looks like Hoenheim from the anime.
And, one more thing, I remember, Eric brothers went Dublith to visit Izumi, and Izumi said, she met their father at the central. And, Hohenheim has some clues for the P. stone. I do not know what is going on, but there is posibility that Hohenheim is evil dude because if he is that talented, Homuculus should have used him for making the stone. He is still alive and lives in Central. It might be definite clue that Hoenheim is evil dude.

But, I still do not want to see Hoenheim as evil dude.
It is too much for Ed and Al. Ed might be happy to kick his ass.
smile.gif
Omakase Shimasu
OK, new results.

Manga:
Anime: 2
Undecided: 5

happy.gif;; I completely forgot to add my own answer, so that's why there are 5 Undecided now. Originally I wanted to vote for the manga, since you have to admit; characters, events, story-line... But than I got caught by the voice-work, additional scenes and different timeline. It's actually like a whole different take on the original work and I kinda like it. Not to mention Greed's death being more dramatic in the anime. happy.gif;; Just my opinion. So, yeah, I'm undecided. Maybe after I've seen the finished works of both anime and manga I'll have a clearer answer.

i really think that it IS Hohenheim. but you have to question what that contraption he was 'plugged-into' was...

Hmm, maybe Hohenheim experimented with the Human Transformation himself and got a bit carried away? No wonder he didn't come home being confined like that! tongue.gif
If you want the finished work of the manga, you would have to wait for 3,4 more years...
Omakase Shimasu
If you want the finished work of the manga, you would have to wait for 3,4 more years...

dry.gif Life sucks sometimes...
TrueAlchemist
If manga is in weekly manga magazine, we, fans will be happy, but it is monthly.
So, it will be like Tenjo Tenge.
I think Manga section will be busy after the anime season is over.
hakai-kun
manga. definetly.
although i like the anime too. great VAs and music, etc. but i like the manga better, hands down. the character development and such is better. and it seems to flow better. As for hughes death. i think it was more touching in the manga. however, if the anime had followed the manga exactly like a storyboard, it would have been an *awesome* scene! what with the VAs and music and such. But yea... i like the manga better. The character personalites are slightly better in it too. They seem a little indecisive/confused in the anime. [not sure if that was the right word XD]

As for Hoenheim... yea, i kinda wondered if that was him too. that time with... greed i think? i don't remember. it's been awhile... XD i should buy the manga, but i'm a bit broke... ^^;
btw, why are manga so expensive in america? it's more than twice as much as the japanese ones...

-Hakai
Cherry
I WILL answer this when I watch at least some of the anime, which will probably be next week. I just can't help but comment on interesting conversations.

Usually, I always prefer the manga to the anime in any case, and that will probably aply to FMA as well. From what I hear, the two have completely different stories, right? Usually when that happens, the manga tends to be better, but I won't judge yet although I've seen it happen with pleanty of other series. (So don't count me in the poll)

Now I think I'll throw out some abstract thoughts on the subject of the manga "evil dude." XD First of all, the chances of it being Hoenheim are slim to none. If this person created the homunculi, how old do you think he is? We all know Greed is several hundred, and that speaks for itself. That could also maybe explain the machine? Maybe it's what keeps him alive for so long since I have a feeling he IS (or was) human to an extent...

Following that train of thought, he could be related to the Elrics, say maybe an ancestor? Maybe the real Hoenheim was studying alchemy to a level where he found out about the homunculi and went to investigate because he knew something, thus leaving his family behind? Like I said, these are really abstract thoughts.

...And in the manga, we really never found out much about Hoenheim. Well, other than the fact that he left and Ed hates him and that he studied alchemy, we really can't judge his true nature. Maybe he's a good guy? Maybe he's one of the homunculi? Maybe he's dead and Izumi saw Envy in disguise?

...Eh... Sorry, I think too much. >.> This is the sort of stuff that pops into my head at 3 in the morning.
Omakase Shimasu
Interesting thoughts. You know, for 3 in the morning. biggrin.gif

Ummm, I wanted to add something but my memory's turned to mush... soooo hooooot~ *Kase-puddle*
Vael
Hrm. I would have to say I like the anime better.

Generally, I've never been that much into graphic novels and manga. I love reading, and I love pictures, but I don't love reading+pictures. The voiceacting in the anime (especially Ed and Al) is absolutely terrific, as well as the perfectly timed music, and excellent animation. Yes, the manga and anime storylines are completely different, but personally I prefer it that way. I would think that it would be boring to read a manga, and keep up with an anime that describes the exact same events and such... Yeah, I don't like the little bit of nonsensical plot developments in the anime, but the shortcoming is well covered.

I also like how the homunculus are created better in the anime than I do the manga, but the choices for homunculus were slightly.. skewed.

But, really, the only manga that I absolutely thoroughly enjoy reading and will never stop reading is Blade of the Immortal.
TrueAlchemist
Blade of Immortal, Nice one.
How many volumes did you read?
Omakase Shimasu
Vael, I'm kinda surprised you didn't throw in anything about (anime-)Wrath in your arguments about anime vs manga there!

Results:

Manga:
Anime: 3
Undecided: 5
Vael
Damn, Kase, good point. More Evil Yaoi pairings in the anime.

And, I've only read the first five volumes of BOTI... unfortunately, 15 dollars a volume is too damn high for me, so I haven't been able to buy another one for the past six months. -.-;;
Omakase Shimasu
Yes, yes, I'm very observant ( rolleyes.gif )

OK, who's the wiseguy that actually answered this poll? tongue.gif
Vael
That would be me. XD
Omakase Shimasu
Figures... dry.gif

After school, boy! After school!
Vael
My daddy could beat up your daddy!!

tongue.gif
Omakase Shimasu
Oh yeah? My daddy doesn't read instructions! tongue.gif
TrueAlchemist
Hey, Vael.
What does BOTI stand for??
Omakase Shimasu
I think it stands for Blade of The Immortal. Vael was too lazy to go through all the trouble of writing the full name, me guesses. tongue.gif
TrueAlchemist
I see.
That is good manga.
Really realistic comic indeed.

Kenshin and Kyo are cool, but not so realistic.
Too many fantasy than real fighting.
But, Kenshin and Kyo have some cool history background.
Chibi Viki
*phew* finally got to edit this poll...

this subject is too good to waste... smile.gif
RolfKaese
omg! Viki used her uber-cool moderator powers O.O

^^
Omakase Shimasu
Mega thank you guys!! *smooch* Love you to bits! Now to announce the change, no? ^_~
TrueAlchemist
Nice !!
Omakase Shimasu
Damn, forgot I can't vote anymore... biggrin.gif;; Well thanks to Vael and TrueAlchemist we've got a draw!
Chibi Viki
hmm... kase, did you vote? there's supposed to be more number of votes here. I voted for the manga... rolfie, did you vote, too?
RoyxRiza BigFan
i notice that fma anime pattern is tend to following a common end of the world destruction plot what now with the philosopher stone and lot of characters getting bashed brutally here and there, dying or killed out in every show passing by, well lots of animes tend to follow that not all i mean the end of world plot scenario
Chibi Viki
you mean, a cliche? (typical storyline/plot)

well, it's been all over FMA anime lately, so I won't be surprised if that would be the case.
RoyxRiza BigFan
well its kinda getting too common that japanese animes are restoring to the end of the World, gather the heros to save the day story again...Thinks X. tongue.gif
Chibi Viki
... and almost every other anime in existence (thinks DBZ)...

yeah, saving the world thing is old.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.