Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More About The Ending
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
Pages: 1, 2
Forock
At the end of the anime, Al and Ed stayed in a different world, and it ended in sort of like 'we'll see each other soon' style.
Honestly, is it possible?
Ed's plan in travelling to space is clearly not going to work. For Al, he lost all his memories- including those on alchemy and fighting skills, also persumably his past journeys. What would he do if he was to be reminded of them again? He is not immortal anymore, and the stake of him dying would be extremely high- counting on the pessimistic nature of the anime itself. Another point is that 'how can he re-open the door?' I have totally no idea in the last few episodes how it was done, by putting the mark onto that baby (who is the father anyway?)? if so, is it that simple?
The main thing is that no one was sure that Ed was alive, and none of them would have acknowledged that the 'real' world exists, probably havn't even thought about that.
Daveman!
But there's a movie 2 years later and they have scenes together... so I'm hoping it's a permanent reunion so I can stop thinking about it.
Anyway the world isn't necessarily our world, it's just extremely similar wink.gif. Ed could fly his crazy self through a black hole or something. O_o With anime there's always a way.
"Hey you know those laws of physics and chemistry? Let's ignore them!"
They can pretty much redefine the universe as they see fit, that's one of the great things about anime smile.gif.
brigadier mustang
QUOTE(Forock @ Jan 25 2005, 06:58 PM)
At the end of the anime, Al and Ed stayed in a different world, and it ended in sort of like 'we'll see each other soon' style.
Ed's plan in travelling to space is clearly not going to work. For Al, he lost all his memories- including those on alchemy and fighting skills, also persumably his past journeys. What would he do if he was to be reminded of them again? He is not immortal anymore, and the stake of him dying would be extremely high- counting on the pessimistic nature of the anime itself. Another point is that 'how can he re-open the door?' I have totally no idea in the last few episodes how it was done, by putting the mark onto that baby (who is the father anyway?)? if so, is it that simple?
The main thing is that no one was sure that Ed was alive, and none of them would have acknowledged that  the 'real' world exists, probably havn't even thought about that.
[snapback]97297[/snapback]

hehehe very true laugh.gif
Queen of the dammed
That's the true meaning of Anime!!! DEFY THE LAWS OF SCIENCE!!!!!! laugh.gif
Forock
Well, as they've said alchemist is a 'science' right? If it is too far off the 'real' world's definition of science then it would be extremely confusing. Anyway, I think there is also a aberration in the time line- choosing the world war for this so called real world (as Daveman's said, it might not be our world). The alchemist world is way more developed- just take a look at the buildings!

I also hope that the movie will provide us with some explanation, but honestly the chance of such is quite small. Don't forget that the comic hasn't ended yet- and it might as well base on it instead of the anime.
Dark State
true...I was thinking the same. The point of the end though isn't to think of them bringing eachother together, it's to emphasize the companionship and bond that they had. There are people still alive that knew Ed, and you don't know if Dante is dead, so maybe she'll be a part in their reunion, if they have one.

My opinion is just that you can't look at the ending so literally in the fact that they will see eachother. It's a continuation of their mission, to bring themselves back to their prior state. That state was two normal brothers living together. So who knows if they'll join eachother, but we do know that they will do everything that they can. Maybe on their journey they'll learn something new...who knows? Hopefully the movie has some answers
Forock
love the idea of learning something new! Maybe Ed can figure out how to use alchemy in the 'real' world- it will be so cool then.
Daveman!
Maybe the method for accessing the gate within yourself is different on the other side, so he has to re-learn it. ohmy.gif

In the interviews the Producer says that the movie is based on the TV series.

I think the mission to return themselves to their normal state was just a goal to motivate them to bigger and better things, and now that they've grown up some they realize that the original destination is not that important, what with all the love and friendship and all.

Or it could be aliens and that's why Ed learns rocketry ohmy.gif.

Later on Ed makes the first mechs and they form a squadron of alchemy mechs to battle off the alien invasion ohmy.gif.
Dark State
Ha ha...it turns into a anime version of star wars blink.gif
Daveman!
Star Wars meets Escaflowne blink.gif
Demonbane
I just thought of something and this seems like a good enough topic to post it under =P
I haven't seen the movie trailer, but I've heard how it shows Al in his armor body again. Since bringing your body across The Gate seems to be a one-way thing, perhaps Ed found another suit of armor and Al is using it as a temporary body to house his soul in while he's in the non-Alchemy world.
biodermic
while that makes a good degree of sense, I like the alchemy mech more.
Fire transmutation missles!!!!

oh, as a note to Forok, Al didn't entirely lose his memory of alchemy, he still knows everything up to the point of when he tried to ressurect his mother. so he just lost most of the really useful stuff, he still knows quite a bit.
Queen of the dammed
QUOTE(Daveman! @ Jan 27 2005, 02:39 AM)
Star Wars meets Escaflowne blink.gif
[snapback]98413[/snapback]

Does Hohemhein get to wear that cool suit Darth Vader had then? biggrin.gif <=Former Star Wars junkie
Ghost
Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow... wacko.gif

No. Hush. Listen. Sh-sh-ssshhh, listen now. It's gonna be okay, I promise.

Okay so, first:
QUOTE(Forock)
It's a fictional story. If the storyteller says it's possible, it's possible. I'm not even talking about, like "Oh just write it off because it's anime and anime never makes sense." I'm saying storytellers need to be allowed to tell their story their way. If they have a point (even if that point is just to tell an entertaining story) then they will either succeed or fail. Reality has no place in fiction except in making it more believable and therefore more entertaining. The less suspension of diselief required from the audience, the more believable one makes the few outrageous things. However this rule should never cause a member of the audience to consider how "plausible" a given fictional theory is.

If you can accept the existence of a WHOLE OTHER WORLD existing, parallel to ours yet on a seperate historical path, then I think you can accept that there might, just possibly be some way to cross from one of those universes to the other...from space.

I mean, hell, if you're asking if it's feasible in real life? No. It isn't. But that's largely because there ain't no WHOLE OTHER WORLD on the other side of no "the Gate" recieving no souls to perform no "alchemy." Not because outer space lacks the facilities to reach this fictional land.

But if, as I initially assumed, you were speculating on the potential success of Ed's space exploration in achieving his stated goals within a fictional realm...then I say, "Why don't we wait and see what the Storyteller says about that?"

Moving on.
QUOTE(Forock)
Ed's plan in travelling to space is clearly not going to work.
Why? Why not? Why would you assume that? This isn't the real world; we don't know the rules. It is based on the real world, yes. But that does not make it either historical or factual. It's pretend. And in the laws of storytelling, when a character reaches out for something which may or may not be possible, it's almost as god as the voice of God telling you something is within reach. Otherwise there would be absolutely no point in the character spending any time in the pursuit thereof. (Excepting cases in which the character learns, in the process of striving for this unattainable goal, that they've actually gained something much more worthwhile than what they thought they were striving for; i.e. brotherhood, love, self-confidence, etc. -or- cases in which the strife and mental anguish caused by the endless and necessarily fruitless effort expended by the hapless dreamer creates human drama.)

So until the Storytellers say it's impossible, it's possible. I didn't make up the rules, it's just how fiction works. Really good fiction breaks rules, and thereby reinforces them. You have to go into a story expecting it to play by the rules, or else when it breaks those rules the impact will be lost on you.

Moving on.
QUOTE(Forock)
What would he do if he was to be reminded of them again?
My interpretation of his memory loss was that he'd been reverted, spiritually as well as physically, to the point at which he lost his body. Therefore he'd be unable to regain memories he technically never had. Think of it like time travel rather than amnesia.

Next
QUOTE(Forock)
He is not immortal anymore, and the stake of him dying would be extremely high...
Technically he was never "immortal." If anything he was closer to death than anyone - his whole existence relied on a rusty diagram painted on cheap metal. He was hanging on by a thread, the way I saw it, but that's just my own view. Still, I don't think Al's life should be considered any higher risk than any other living characters'. Sure, he could die and never come back...but so could Winry, Riza, Hayate...anyone really. And if anything, the soldiers are who you should be worried about, considering they actually see combat from time to time.

Anyhow
QUOTE(Forock)
...counting on the pessimistic nature of the anime itself.
Okay I hear you on that note. Christ, what a downer. ...aaaand
QUOTE(Forock)
Another point is that 'how can he re-open the door?' I have totally no idea in the last few episodes how it was done, by putting the mark onto that baby...? if so, is it that simple?
Nothing in alchemy is simple. I'm a little confused about the baby-gate correlation myself, but I know that the baby represented something. I think it might have worked with any newborn infant. Doesn't Dante say some crap about potentiality? Babies are nothing but potential, so that might make sense. The Gate represents potential, sorta. Unbound souls, catalystic energy, huge mysterious void. Maybe I'm just making shit up now, I don't remember Dante's rant too well, and my girlfriend has all the episodes so I can't go double-check. But I'll go with the above theory about potentiality being the link, at the risk of sounding crazy.

So one last thing. And I really don't know how people can not get this. I mean no offense, I just really think it's obvious.
QUOTE(Forock)
(who is the father anyway?)
Okay. I'm not gonna put this softly. SHE WAS RAPED. It's what's known as a "war crime." Soldiers rape women in the villages they invade. All the time. Throughout history. Sometimes even as a tactic, especially when fighting a guerilla war, ordered by the generals and commanders in order to break the will of the rebelling natives. This is reality. Now I'm not suggesting that the Fuhrer or anyone ordered the rape of villagers. But Amestrisian soldiers did rape Roze. And she got pregnant. And that's where babies come from.

QUOTE(Forock)
The alchemist world is way more developed- just take a look at the buildings!
While not 100% positive, I am almost certain that the two sides of "the Gate" are at roughly the same level of technological development (with "Roy's-Side" being slightly behind "our" side). The few buildings we see in Munich in the '20s are indicative of real life history in that time period. I saw nothing in the whole FMA TV series suggesting a higher level of technology than they had in our real-life '20s (except auto-mail, but I think we're supposed to ignore that). At one point Hohenheim mentions that while on one side of "the Gate" alchemy was developed, while on the other side machines were developed. I took that to mean that, aside from every aspect of life which was affected by these key differences, all other factors were similar if not identical. He even points out that there was someone on both sides of "the [b]Gate[/g]" fitting his physical (and, I would imagine, to some extent spiritual) description.

So (except for the auto-mail, which seems more like a fanciful extravagance than a major plot staple, however much is helps build several characters) I really think "our" side and "Roy's-Side" are supposed to have near-equal levels of development.

Thank you for your patience, sorry that took so long. I hope I sorted some things out.

P.S. Christopher Lee should play Alphonse Elric in the live-action movie.
Greensky
In the movie, Ed will be 18, and Al will be 12. Al lost a lot of years, he should be 16, right? sad.gif
thisbedavid
he should be 17
they are only 1 year apart
Des
QUOTE(Ghost @ Feb 3 2005, 03:57 AM)
So (except for the auto-mail, which seems more like a fanciful extravagance than a major plot staple, however much is helps build several characters) I really think "our" side and "Roy's-Side" are supposed to have near-equal levels of development.
[snapback]105440[/snapback]

Didn't Pinako say that automail was developed because of alchemy? O.o That might be why Amestris has it and "we" do not.
ThndrShk2k
QUOTE(thisbedavid @ Feb 16 2005, 10:20 AM)
he should be 17
they are only 1 year apart
[snapback]114937[/snapback]

Well if you remember he was brought back to the age he was when they first tried to bring their mother back. And they journied after that for 4 years. So Al might be 13 in the movie
Itchino
Im new but ive been in to FMA for awhile, but not until recently had the chance to really explore it and finish the series. If you think about it, the series leave it wide open to come back with a second one, it can always happen,especially since its so popular ^^. The next ones plot could be about Ed and Al reaching each other finding a way to the gate, or maybe Ed in "our" world trying to get through the gate and maybe makes it and there some big comotion with Al. I dono, just brainstorming..i was thinking about possibilties for like 2 days...i really dont like the way it ended ::pouts:: but i guess we cant change it now can we? but ,i also am hoping the movie will explain and further it...and hopefully...maybe...another series is was im praying on laugh.gif
Chiyo
QUOTE(Itchino @ Feb 24 2005, 11:17 PM)
Im new but ive been in to FMA for awhile, but not until recently had the chance to really explore it and finish the series. If you think about it, the series leave it wide open to come back with a second one, it can always happen,especially since its so popular ^^. The next ones plot could be about Ed and Al reaching each other finding a way to the gate, or maybe Ed in "our" world trying to get through the gate and maybe makes it and there some big comotion with Al. I dono, just brainstorming..i was thinking about possibilties for like 2 days...i really dont like the way it ended ::pouts:: but i guess we cant change it now can we? but ,i also am hoping the movie will explain and further it...and hopefully...maybe...another series is was im praying on  laugh.gif
[snapback]121107[/snapback]

As all this will happen in the movie, it probably means there will never be a new series (darn it all).
DonnaDelDrago
I really hope there will be NO new series! You can really destroy a good series by adding too much episodes - just because you can make money with it.

But you see: the end of the series so far is really great because it leaves enouth open space for discussion...
I cant wait to see how the manga will end!
Full Flame Alchemist
I really hope there will be NO new series! You can really destroy a good series by adding too much episodes - just because you can make money with it.

Exactly. smile.gif
Chiyo
True true, hence the movie.
Fullmetal Fangirl
Well...they could make a FEW eps ... a bit like ep 37...you know, a few eps with know real connection to the actual series, just for laughs laugh.gif
Hilde Knight
I'm just really curious about how big of a role the military staff plays in the movie. I want to know more of what's going on 2 years later, dammit! How is Roy doing?! Did Havoc ever get a date?! Come on!

[spoiler]I also wonder if Hughes will be in the movie at all. He did die so it makes since that he passed through The Gate and is now in "our" world, correct? Or did I somehow miss an episode that explained that The Gate is exclusive to those that know alchemy and things like that? :| [/spoiler]
darknite
to answer your spoiler thing, maybe he will be in the movie but not him but instead the other side of the gate self of him, so he wont remember ed...just like the other side's Al
Hilde Knight
I hope so, I do miss Hughes so very much. sad.gif
darknite
me2, he was a really lovable character
Drake
But it isn't really FMA style to have a character come back. If he did come back, it would lessen the importance of his death... and we don't want that
yukiroche
After episode 51, the movie continues from that ending point. I think that Alphonse's body could be made from PART of Ed's arm and that is why he still has his mechanical arm. But why is Ed still alive? Maybe because his "equivalent exchange" concequence is to go to the other world and find Alphonse. In the movie, he meets a person named Alphonse but isn't Al. I think that Al's soul took a person that looked like Al in the other world and vise versa. But then again I don't know which reason is right. This is SO CONFUSING!
Gotu
ok firsst id like to saay that the ending wass nott a bad ending. i think the makers WANTED people to get pissed at the ending cause it was a total cliff hanger and it had endless possiblities. Also by looking at a few pictures, i dont kno if there true or not, i have seen that Ed does NOT have his auto-mail parts anymore but instead artificial limbs (im not sure if this is true but i HAVE seen pictures regarding to the movie). It is ALSO confirmed that Ed will meet his REAL brother Al cause all we kno right now that Ed is going to meet a look alike of Al who happens to have the same name as his kid brother. As for a continuation series, there is still a possibility that the movie wont end the whole series so there might be a chance Ed can go exploring and whatnot. I, per say, love this series alot and i wouldnt mind if they continue it at all. I kno most of u are disagreeing this to cause a series CAN be ruined by continuing. (E.g Dragonball GT) but it all it needs is the right push, the same voice speakers, the same writers, and if were lucky a whole new adventure. Thats all i can think of rightt noww
Kaskas
Well i think that FMA could continue for a bunch of episodes after the movie if needed, there are many open paths for the history, i think a film could not cover all. We all know what the main plot is, but there are so many things that are unclear, what had really happened to Dante, Roy, Gluttony, Wrath and Envy???
Convict725
This is a question that's been bothering me for a while, If Al's memories end at the moment they tried to transmute their mom, then why does he ask Izumi for training? Essentially, wouldn't he have already finished training (with her) in order to bring back the mom.

As a side note, everyone remembers the last four years: Al's a pretty observant kid, doesn't he wonder why Winry is so much older? Or who Roze is?

Someone must also slip at some point and mention those years, Wouldn't it be weird for people to tell you that you have lived four years that you don't know about? blink.gif
Kao
QUOTE(Convict725 @ Mar 26 2005, 12:03 PM)
This is a question that's been bothering me for a while, If Al's memories end at the moment they tried to transmute their mom, then why does he ask Izumi for training? Essentially, wouldn't he have already finished training (with her) in order to bring back the mom.

As a side note, everyone remembers the last four years: Al's a pretty observant kid, doesn't he wonder why Winry is so much older? Or who Roze is?

Someone must also slip at some point and mention those years, Wouldn't it be weird for    people to tell you that you have lived four years that you don't know about? blink.gif
[snapback]139614[/snapback]

Al doesn't remember because he sacraficed his memories of the last four years when he was in armour. Since he doesn't have a physical brain to store these memories in. And i'm pretty sure they told him the story of the 4 years of his life. :3
Digitalgirl
well, the last episode kinda hints that Al knew wat happened....
and it was Ed who sacrificed his memories....oddly enough, Ed seems to remember exactly what happened those 4 years [besides, he is 18....Al is back to being 10...wait, he could be 12 since it's been two years...*hmm*]
hitokiri
no, al loses his memories... but it wasn't planned. like many times before when human transumation is done, something unexpected happened. basically the gate/god/al sharpton/whoever decided that the trade of ed's soul for al's life wasn't kosher. so the trade was turned into ed's arm (and presumably his leg), his body (the one on the amestris side of the gate) , and al's memories..

listen to what hohenheim tells ed when he leaves for transylvania..
Ravashi
Ed indeed sacrifices his arm (maybe also his leg) and Al's memories.
Out of what Honenheim tells Ed, it make sense that instead of Ed dying Al's memories where lost...but...
When Al went into the gate wasn't he 10?? Wouldn't it make more sense that he just came out...his body I mean...and his memories of those 4 years where sacrificed...oke I'm confusing meself now...

Anyhow it's only logic they must have filled him in on what has happend...because of the obvious that Winry is way older...but, then why does Al think he can get his brother back through Alchemy...does he think that he can find a way to open the gate and get to Ed? or Ed to him?

And that Ed wants to go to the stars isn't really onlogical...I mean in that time, they didn't know what was out there...

Also about Ed's age...I mean at the end it's 1921 where he is, did he get there at the age of 16, or did he age...and then he would be 22...I think when he leaves (to go to Transsylvania) he must be in that world a bit longer...seeing that he knows a lot of things.
So for my theorie he must have been there for quiet some time...a year perhapes? I wouldn't know...

I think I'll just wait for the movie...'cause geez this is confusing...
Edo-mame
Err... no. When Edo left his world he was 16. When he arrives in "our world" the year is 1921 he is still 16 assuming that he doesn't decide to bring up the thing with transmutating Al years after actually doing it (wouldn't make sense to tell your old man something like that after years of hiding it would it?). We know for sure that the movie is 2 years after the ending and I'm pretty sure that I read he is 18 in the movie.

In the end, Edo says something about ether... what exactly does that have to do with going back and alchemy(I may not have been paying attention when the explanation of ether's importance was mentioned)???? But whats even more weird is that in the newest trailer, theres the line

"And... can the alchemy of the 2 save the world?Fullmetal Alchemist the movie; Conqueror of Shambala"(taken from the site's main page).

It looks like the world(or worlds?) is in trouble again but who are the 2 with the alchemy? We know that Al is probably one of the 2 but Edo is in a world where alchemy hasn't been invented... What does this mean?
Ravashi
QUOTE(Edo-mame @ Apr 3 2005, 10:44 PM)
Err... no. When Edo left his world he was 16. When he arrives in "our world" the year is 1921 he is still 16 assuming that he doesn't decide to bring up the thing with transmutating Al years after actually doing it (wouldn't make sense to tell your old man something like that after years of hiding it would it?). We know for sure that the movie is 2 years after the ending and I'm pretty sure that I read he is 18 in the movie.
[snapback]146206[/snapback]

Ooh right that makes sense!! then how did it become 1921 there...ehm...that would mean the time doesn't flow equally? That would bring complications...I guess...
The Colonel's Girl
QUOTE(Ravashi @ Apr 3 2005, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE(Edo-mame @ Apr 3 2005, 10:44 PM)
[snapback]146206[/snapback]

Ooh right that makes sense!! then how did it become 1921 there...ehm...that would mean the time doesn't flow equally? That would bring complications...I guess...
[snapback]146208[/snapback]

That would bring some complications. And Edo is 18 in the movie. I haven't officially watched the last episode, but a friend of mine has told me how it ends and the one thing that I hate about the ending is Maes's death! How could they take off the most sarcastic character ever?! But I have a feeling that he may be in the movie.
ScarredSweetheart
Wasn't it in 1911 or 1910 that they attemted to resurrect their mom? so add 4 years. . . maybe time doesn't flow at the same rate in both worlds. And Maes might appear as a double, like Alphonse is a double of Al
Ravashi
Yeah...I think it's not the same rate...
And Maes doesn't die in the final episode...so who are you talking about The Colonel's Girl??
The Colonel's Girl
QUOTE(ScarredSweetheart @ Apr 3 2005, 04:47 PM)
Wasn't  it in 1911 or 1910 that they attemted to resurrect their mom? so add 4 years. . . maybe time doesn't flow at the same rate in both worlds. And Maes might appear as a double, like Alphonse is a double of Al
[snapback]146288[/snapback]

Dear, have you forgotten when she-who-shall-not-be-named opened your dear Edo's pocket watch and saw the date 3 Oct 10, or something like that, and you got all 'That's the wrong date! It's 11 Oct 10!' So dear, it is 1910.I even have proof if you don't believe me. And they'd better have Hughes if they have a Glacier double, or this perosn will go on a mass killing spree and threaten the movie makers to remake the movie.
The Colonel's Girl
QUOTE(Ravashi @ Apr 3 2005, 04:55 PM)
Yeah...I think it's not the same rate...
And Maes doesn't die in the final episode...so who are you talking about The Colonel's Girl??
[snapback]146302[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that they should have kept him in the final episodes instead of having him killed, that's all.
ScarredSweetheart
Okay, calm down I was just woundering if that was the year their mom died, or the year they riend to resurrect her. And I think you mean that they better have a Roy double. Else you'll go bananas and kill me in the theatre.
The Colonel's Girl
QUOTE(ScarredSweetheart @ Apr 3 2005, 04:59 PM)
Okay, calm down I was just woundering if that was the year their mom died, or the year they riend to resurrect her. And I think you mean that they better have  a Roy double. Else you'll go bananas and kill me in the theatre.
[snapback]146312[/snapback]

Heh, why would I do that, dear Elric? I may kill someone else who almost converted me to a Scar fan...ALMOST!!! not my fault he was so cute when he was younger...he looked like a tanned roy with brown hair....
ScarredSweetheart
Serously, can you relate every cute guy to Roy somehow? And we already know that Roy will be in the movie somewhere. He has a voice credit.
The Colonel's Girl
Uhm...Let me think that one...
Younger Scar: Roy with tanned skin and brown hair
Father Ewan Remington: Roy as a Religious demon hunter person and with blonde hair
....Why are we even talking about this in this thread?

The last episode...I need to see it before anything is said.
ScarredSweetheart
Well, you can buy all 51 episodes in jap. . .
Anyway, I am pulling for Al and Winry getting together in the two (or more) years Ed is gone. After all, he starts dressing like Ed, so maybe its a ploy to sort of replace Ed. Or, its a cry for help.

Just a thought.
The Colonel's Girl
I'm thinking a cry for help...Or maybe he just wants attention now that he has a body. But if only Rose hadn't gotten pregnant, maybe Ed and her would be together. And even though she did, she should be with Kain Fuery! I need to get the jap episodes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.