Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Chiyo
FMAObsessed - yes I've read both of those, I love Kafka especially.

Currently reading In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami. Really is the most disturbed book I have ever read, bar maybe Tokyo by Mo Hayder (though that wasn't too bad after watching Dumplings).
Omamori
Currently re-reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. Really interesting fantasy/sci-fi-ish novel :3
Aribelle
I'm currently reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels, or Southern Vampire Mystery Novels, or whatever they go by ^^" by Charlaine Harris. I just finished Dead Until Dawn and am thinking of starting the second tonight (I've taken over my dad's iPad to read them haha...one day until I go back until my apartment, so hopefully I can get through one or two more before then. They're pretty quick reads). But anyway, they're what inspired the TV show True Blood. So far it's like Twilight with better writing and less obnoxious characters xD (not to mention raunchier, but if you watch the show you already expected that lol).
ScarMySoul
Right now I'm reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Seebold. I saw the movie and loved it and by recommendation of Chiyo, I got the book! Yay! Pretty good so far, first chapter was upsetting... sad.gif

- BE SURE TO CAST YOUR VOTE ON THE FAN ART CONTEST! Thank You Contest General Fan Art Contest
von Hohenheim
Fashionable Nonsense by Alan Sokal. It was recommended to me after I witnessed a communications professor spewing some ill-informed nonsense about science. The book goes into issues with Postmodernism.

Another friend recently recommended that I read The Name of a Rose, which I'll do sometime soon, when I'm not so busy.
A Pierrot's Aria
A Study in Scarlet - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Razzy
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

It's not the most boring book I've read. It's just really long. D:
Amalthea
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Story focuses on the life of a hermophrodite. Androgyny is a subject that fascinates me... ha, Envy falls under that category. tongue.gif
KwiatekAlchemist
The Theatre of the World by Peter Marshall
MsLinn
And another thing... by Eoin Colfer. Read the rest of the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy before that.
von Hohenheim
I am reading Goethe's Dramaten III (I think it's some poetry about some character called Iphigenie). It's entirely written in old German script, so I shall have some fun decoding it.
ScarMySoul
Let Me In by John Ajvide Linqvist
Fairy of Darkness
Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt.

My Language Arts teacher is making my class read that book a couple days ago, and IMO it's really boring. In fact, I didn't even bother finishing the 1st chapter. dry.gif
Tombow
Eels by James Prodek

Some fascinating stories from around the world about the fish. (yes, I like fish stories. xp)
jacksparrow589
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The second part of the book was better than the first, but I guess the setup was required. It's actually almost as good as The Hunger Games, in my opinion.
A Pierrot's Aria
The Fall of Rome: And the End of Civilisation - Byran Ward-Perkins
Tombow
The Twilight of the bombs: Recent Challenges, New Dangers, and the Prospects for a World Without Nuclear Weapons - by Richard Rhodes

Examines the development of the world after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Mat-Mat
Reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller for AP English...gotta love witch trials based off of the red hunts in the fifties and sixties. XD
Chiyo
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn, so far proving to be a fascinating story.
Tombow
The Accidents of Style: Good Advice on How Not to Write Badly. by Charles Harrington Elster.

Naturally, very useful reading for me. xp
FMAobsessed
For school, I am reading Doctor Faustus

For enjoyment I am doing some light reading. So I am reading House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones
Tombow
Hitting the breaks: Engineering Design and the Production of Knowledges by Ann Johnson.

About the development of ABS. xd
Mhacy
Can you keep a secret? by Sophie Kinsella, so far it was good. It's a love story and I'm not very profound with this genre so I can't really give a nicer feedback happy.gif
jacksparrow589
I just finished Jane Eyre this morning. I really liked it--it wasn't terribly confusing, and Victorian literature is just fun to read.
EdokunEdo
Im reading Fma volume 15 (take a guess about who wrote that)
FMAobsessed
@jacksparrow: I too am reading Jane Eyre. My roommate and I saw the trailer for the movie coming in the spring, and we decided to read the book. I find it very interesting.
Mhacy
The Adventures of Tommy Sawyer - Mark Twain. I missed this one, I haven't read it for a long time, it brings back memories.
Tombow
The Species Seekers: Heroes, Fools, and the Mad Pursuit of Life on Earth by Richard Conniff

Finding orders among the chaos of Species in the nature.
Rino-chan
Duma Key by Stephen King. It's the third book I'm reading by him, but I still don't know what to make of it. T___T
Is it me or does his book seem to ramble off for quite a time before it gets scary? D:
Envy's Lady
I rarely bring myself to read books but I recently started reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Broken Chouchou
I'm reading 'About a Boy' by Nick Hornby at the moment.
Omamori
Right now, I'm reading a few books...

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill,
American Gods by Neil Gaiman,
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson,
aaaand One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Rainshine
I just finished reading My Sister's Keeper, and now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice. I'm loving it so far. :3
Tombow
Doonesdbury and the Art of G.B. Trudeau by Brian Walker

Book about the Doonesbury cartoon and how it has changed over the course of years. xp
jacksparrow589
I'm currently reading The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean. Chemistry is love.

Recently, I also latched onto the Cat Royal series by Julia Golding, which is more for the 10-14 age range, but is good fun, so I like it.
cherry-chan. :D
I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice a couple of days ago, and I loved it so much! <3

I'm planning to re-read the Harry Potter series just for the heck of it, (as all the other books I was supposed to read were borrowed by my friends, lol) but maybe I'll just go and finish the book I borrowed from my friend, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass :]
Emily_BrokenAngel
"Dante´s Equation" by Jane Jensen

It´s like.... a combination of Dan Brown and Stephen King o ̣
FMAobsessed
I just finished reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Now I am reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
ElricsLongLostSis13
recently finished the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and just finished The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith, and plan on reading some more Blade of the Immortal
BrokenDreamz
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, and The Eleventh Victim by Nancy Grace. I must say, I was iffy about Ender's Game, but since I began reading it, I'm hooked and can't wait to read the rest of the series. The Eleventh Victim is good, as well, for it being written by a first time fiction writer.
ScarMySoul
I'm currently reading Awakened by PC Cast... biggrin.gif Finally a new book to the series in the House of Night novels... tongue.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
European History for Dummies - Sean Lang

I need simplistic background info, and this is a good place to get it. laugh.gif
KwiatekAlchemist
The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
FMAobsessed
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
A Pierrot's Aria
Applied Ethics (eds) Peter Singer
ScarMySoul
I'm still reading Awakened by PC Cast, BUT my question is, why do people kill off characters that you love? That's happened in Eragon when they killed off Brom, that made me so mad!

This author did it twice to me now ohmy.gif First Loren Blake and now Jack! GRAHHHHHHHHHHH wacko.gif

laugh.gif

A Pierrot's Aria
Not physically a book, but an e-journal; Three Part Universe by Sydney Shoemaker.
Neurotripsy
'Nineteen Minutes' by Jodi Picoult, I love her books~
FMAobsessed
The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
Saving_Grace
Lolita by Vladamir Nobokov (quite possibly just spelt his name wrong). I'm enjoying it, despite the dark content.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.