Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
KwiatekAlchemist
Breath and Bone by Carol Berg
MeiXiTian
At the moment I'm reading 'Conversations With God' by Neale Donald Walsch...

Such an interesting book! biggrin.gif I recommend it to anyone, it's really opened my eyes.
A Pierrot's Aria
Scarlet and Black by Stendhal
ScarMySoul
Tempted by PC Cast

I know I know a vampire drama... I am truely a sucker for them XD
A Pierrot's Aria
Currently reading...

Blindsighted - Karin Slaughter and De Anima - Aristotle.
KwiatekAlchemist
Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg
she's a good writer.
A Pierrot's Aria
I have started a third. xD

On The Shortness of Life - Seneca
FMAobsessed
Currently I am reading Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters, and it is really funny.
Emily_BrokenAngel
Im reading "The Time Traveler´s Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger

Such a beautiful story TwT
I recommend it wink.gif
Anyarel
Last book I read: Le Livre du Voyage, by Bernard Werber.

Broken Chouchou
The long hard road out of hell by Marilyn Manson (with Neil Strauss)
A Pierrot's Aria
Kiss Cut by Karin Slaughter
kazare
Reading,, Fern Michaels' Listen to your heart, SO good. tongue.gif
sidekick.kep37
Nero: The Destroyer of Rome

A super easy read... pictures and large font sizes. I need to read it for a biographical research project. Yup, I'm doing Nero. It's... interesting, to say the least. Romans sure had some pretty... odd culture.
ScarMySoul
I just FINISHED today, the book Burned by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

Its part of the House of Night Novels. happy.gif I can't wait for the new book Awakened!
KwiatekAlchemist
Just finished reading Forbidden City by William Bell for English class.

It was okay. :\
Not the best book I've read though, it was kinda boring.
MsLinn
Hohoho! I just borrowed the fifth Temeraire-book by Naomi Novik, today, in swedish! "Victory of Eagles"!!! I'm so excited!! I'm gonna read them from the begining, though.
A Pierrot's Aria
A Faint Cold Fear - Karin Slaughter
Thalogens
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkein. I skipped The Hobbit xD
And when I don't feel like LOTR, I'm slowly slooowly working my way through Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

I'd like to recommend to you all never to pick up a copy of Witch Child by Celia Rees. I was waiting for an exciting climax through the entire book and it just never happened. Nothing exciting happened in the second book either. It was a waste of time.
Miss MP
Red Dust by Ma Jian. Though to be honest, I'm only a page in. I decided to pick up In the Shade of the Cypress first, by Thomas Steinbeck - I'm a fan. Plot set in Cali, the beginnings of a clash between an average Joe who stumbles upon something that the Chinese will almost certainly covet. The only person he confides in is his friend, a researcher, who finds it difficult to keep the secret. Only a few chapters in, so the action has not even peaked, but the foundations laid are intriguing.

kimonodragon88
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
zonkiethegreat
Fahrenheit 451
ScarMySoul
I'm reading Thirst Volume 1 by Christopher Pike.

Its a Vampire story yes, but its way far from being a Twilight knock off... little more badass than that... AND AND.... not once is the word Chagrin used... EVER... I hate that word... dry.gif
FMAobsessed
I am reading The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King.
Broken Chouchou
I'm not reading anything, and I could use some recommendations actually! I'm going on vacation in the sun for a week and for that you definitely need a good book. Problem is, I got nothing ohmy.gif

Not sure what I want either, when it comes to genre. I want something that'll captivate me and make me want to keep turning the pages. Something good. I can like fantasy, but usually not the elves and dwarves sorta stuff (except for The Lord of the Rings, but already read those books. I'm under the impression that most works in this genre of fantasy is a bit cliche and stale, full of stereotypes. I'd gladly be proven wrong though, if there is something out there with convincing characters and substance in plot and setting, and a hint of originality!), more like Harry Potter and Neil Gaiman sort of 'dark fantasy'. Only read one book by Gaiman though (American Gods), not sure which other ones are good XD

I can like thrillers and detective stuffs too, if they're good, and not a boring drag to read (well that's something that goes for all books now really isn't it). I recently read Shutter Island and really apprecieated the noirish feel it had. I like science-fiction and horror stories, too, if they meet already said qualification of being good. Don't like the unoriginal or overly B stuff.

It should be said I'm not all too familiar with either fantasy or science fiction when it comes to books, my impressions are very generalising, and I know there are some shiny, golden works out there. I'm all for broadening my perspectives ^^

Of course, if you know of a book that you think is simply amazing, that doesn't fit any of the mentioned genres above, still feel free to go ahead and mention it all the same smile.gif

As a general rule, I don't think I want anything too heavy (like 1000 + pages bricks concrete blocks) or with too complex, hard to follow language, seeing as I'm not a native english speaker tongue.gif

Guidance in the vast world of fictitious literature much appreciated!!

//Chouchou~
Chiyo
ChouChou - a good fantasy that isn't like a usual fantasy is a book called The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (it has been translated in to different languages too so you might find your own). It is about a man who is horribly disfigured after a crash and a woman visits him in hospital claiming they've been lovers in various different times in history.

As for Neil Gaiman, Coraline is very good (and short) and so is Stardust. My favourite by him though is a collection of short stories called Fragile Things.

I would also recommend Haruki Murakami as an author. Some of his book are very long but others are nice and short. After Dark is a good one and so is Norwegian Wood.

Ringu by Koji Suzuki is a nice quick read and a great horror story....known of course now for being one of the most famous Japanese Horrors.

One of the most unique stories I have read for a long while is one called The Last Family in England by Matt Haig. It is difficult to put in to a category. It is from the perspective of the family's dog and how it is the dog's belief that he controls the actions of the family. So when the family begins to fall apart, he tries all he can to keep them together...of course not realising he is just a dog and what will be will be. It is very easy to read (the English isn't very difficult) but I think it is a very well written and thoughtful book.
Broken Chouchou
Thank you so much for replying!! :D

Some of those titles (or all of them, actually) sound very interesting! I recognise Murakami, he is the author of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle? If I remember, that particular novel was said to be pretty philosophic. I got a bit interested in it, and I know for sure it exists in my language as well. Maybe his other, more acessible works, will too. Will look into this.

I've heard lots of good things about Coraline. And the movie Stardust seemed interesting enough, from the first hour or so of it that I saw. And I know I like Gaiman's writing, so. This is definitely getting investigated further :)

And I didn't know Ringu was a book originally, that's pretty cool.

Thanks a lot!
Chiyo
Yes he wrote The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. VERY long book, I've only just started it but already it does seem to be going down a philosophical route. Kafka On the Shore is like that too.

The book Stardust is quite different to the film. It is a nice story but there isn't as much conflict or action, just a sweet little fantasy story.

Anyway to go right back to the original topic, I am currently reading "The Devils Knot - The True Story of the Memphis Three". I must say, it's been a while since reading a book got me so angry.
Satori
Thirst for Love by Yukio Mishima
Carmencita
I just got done reading The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson. VERY good book.

And now I am reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.
kutsalinek
Brida... It's good. I hate the way the main character is because she just stands for my weakest points for now.. She always wants to do sth and she always can but she is afraid to lose other opportunities to do other work and cannot choose one out of too many of them. That's why she just leaves all the opportunities, just like me u_u And this time she wants to learn magic. I hope she changes and acquaints herself with it, this would also change my point of view x_x
Full Metal SHORTY!!!
I'm in the middle of an embarrassing amount of books. Here are a couple:

Hush, Hush
Ink Exchange
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
(I don't know if manga counts, but I'm in the middle of:
FMA
Fruits Basket; and
Vampire Knight)

And many more... I lost count.
Flamez_Freak
my pharmacology text book
Nuclear Alchemist
Isaac Asimov's I, Robot (in romanian - Eu, Robotul)
Satori
Confessions of a Mask- Yukio Mishima
A Pierrot's Aria
I'm re-reading one of the FMA light novels- Under the Faraway Sky.
KwiatekAlchemist
Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. Baww.. such a good book
cherry-chan. :D
At the top of my reading list right now is The End of the Affair by Graham Greene. XD I have to read it for my Literature class. Haha!

But I'm also in the middle of a couple of other books...
- The Time Traveler's Wife
- Inferno
- Liberation

..and if manga counts, then I've got Yankee-kun to Megane-chan and Fujoshi Rumi. Haha!
Full Metal SHORTY!!!
I'm reading the City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
Mhacy
The Seance by Heather Graham I kinda like her books smile.gif
ShoOtaku
currently, I'm readin "Salem Falls" by Jodi Picoult
Ashley Nicole Graham
I'm currently re-reading FMA- Under the Faraway Sky and also re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
TheRuffian
Currently, I'm reading The Pearl by Steinbeck.
Man, it is truly a classic. I can see the plot so clearly even though I haven't finished the book yet, but Steinbeck tells the story so well I don't mind that it's predictable.
Neurotripsy
• "Sophie Scholl & the White Rose" - Annette Dumbach & Jud Newborn
• "Lucky" - Alice Sebold
• "The Lord of the Flies" - William Golding
ScarMySoul
I"m currently reading Leviathan by Thomas E Sniegoski

Its the continuation of the first book called The Fallen. As far as I know there is only four books to the Fallen series, so I"m on book two. Its about Fallen Angels... quite good actually. smile.gif
Flamez_Freak
i am reading the owner's manual of SAMSUNG GALAXY S...
A Pierrot's Aria
I'm re-reading The Land of Sand (FMA Light Novel)
FMAobsessed
@Chiyo: We have similar taste in books. Have you ever read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Or Kaftka on the Shore by Murakami Haruki? Both books are great reads.

Right now I am reading The Celestine Prohecy by James Redfield. I haven't finished the book. But it is about a man who hears about a manuscript found in Peru that prophecizes that mankind will enter a spirtual awakening at the end of 20th century. So this man journeys to Peru to see if he can learn more about the manuscript.
Flamez_Freak
sidney sheldon's - tell me ur dreams
Forsaken Love
the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, well im almost on to the 2nd book now, the resturant at the end of the universe I think, I'm reading my friend's big omnibus edition, allways wanted to read this book so I'm glad I finally got around to it, its really funny xD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.