Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Mhacy
Okey ka lang - FLAMES ABS-CBN pocketbooks^^
Forgiven
I'm reading, To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee for a book report for school. When I'm done reading that, I'll resume reading this present darkness.
Thalogens
I'm reading 'The Exorcist' by William Peter Blatty. It's creepy.
Forgiven
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence.
Chiyo
Just finished "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman and just about to start "Piercing" by Ryu Murakami.

Seeing "Stardust" in film format first cursed me. The book is a lot gentler and calmer so I was expecting things to happen that never did. In the film each character is revisited and it has a climactic ending, the book has characters that appear then vanish and a slow end.
FMAobsessed
I am reading Souless by Gail Carriger.
kkg22104
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe

...possibly the weirdest book I've ever picked up, but I have to read it for English class.
MaiShadowAlchemist
-The Last Guetto Butterfly
(T-T Really sad...what's failing for me is that sometimes the autor gets a tiny bit too overdramatic with the newspaper guy, aside that, the writing style and the story are amazing!)
KwiatekAlchemist
I just finished reading a book called Rubber Houses by Ellen Yeomans.
It's a really sad book, it made me cry my eyes out at the end.
DNA
Nearly Done with Stephen King's 'Insomnia'
sidekick.kep37
Reading Catcher in the Rye for school. Man I love this Holden kid. He makes me lol.
Lt. Misha Mustang
Remember Me? -Sophie Kinsella
kimonodragon88
I'm reading The Living Church by John Stott for a class, and The Shack by William Paul Young in my spare time. smile.gif
Rainshine
I'm *still* reading the shining, and I'm reading the 'wicked' series. smile.gif
Thalogens
I just finished 'The Excorsist' - William Peter Blatty. I read around 5 pages a day, before I went to sleep - but I still recommend it, the ending seemed a bit rushed though.

I'M BOOKLESS!! I might try and find 'The Great Gatsby' and try it again.
Quistis88
QUOTE (DoxyWings @ Oct 9 2009, 01:02 PM) *
Ahahaha, sorry to disapoint - I've dropped Gatsby too... and am currently reading Dracula by Bram Stolker (and then Frankenstein - Mary Shelly, 'cause its in the same book). I finished Of Mice and Men today (John Steinbeck) for English, I liked it - but not my favourite. I seem to have lost my copy of Dorian Grey... when I find it, I'll finish that too (hopefully).

Of Mice and Men is so depressing. sad.gif It almost made me cry. Dracula I haven't read, but Frankenstein is a must-read, especially if you're into FMA. biggrin.gif I hope you pick up The Great Gatsby again. I didn't like it on the first read, but now that I've taught it, it's actually quite nice.

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Nov 4 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe

...possibly the weirdest book I've ever picked up, but I have to read it for English class.

I thought it was weird at first, too, but then it just gets sad. mellow.gif

QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Nov 7 2009, 08:22 PM) *
Reading Catcher in the Rye for school. Man I love this Holden kid. He makes me lol.

He's so much like every other teenager out there. laugh.gif

Just finished 1984. I think I know why high school kids relate to it so much now.
Chiyo
^My sister is about to start studying Of Mice and Men so I might swipe if off her and give it a go. Dracula is quite a difficult read because of the format. I studied both Frankenstein and The Great Gatsby but can't recall much about the latter...it was some years ago.

Currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it's almost as tiring as the original...so also about to start The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
RoyxRizaFan
I'm trying to brush up on the classics because modern literature has made me miserable lately (how many books about vampires can a girl read???? ...Don't answer that)

I just finished Little Women by Loisa Alcott, which I enjoyed for the most part. I recommend it, although the ending didn't have me jumping for joy.

I'm halfway through Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and it's really interesting and a page-turner, although I don't get why everyone is in love with Heathcliff quite yet mellow.gif Oh well, I'm enjoying it a lot.

And for school, I'm reading George Orwell's 1984. I'm not far yet.
Thalogens
QUOTE (Quistis88 @ Nov 19 2009, 12:19 AM) *
QUOTE (DoxyWings @ Oct 9 2009, 01:02 PM) *
Ahahaha, sorry to disapoint - I've dropped Gatsby too... and am currently reading Dracula by Bram Stolker (and then Frankenstein - Mary Shelly, 'cause its in the same book). I finished Of Mice and Men today (John Steinbeck) for English, I liked it - but not my favourite. I seem to have lost my copy of Dorian Grey... when I find it, I'll finish that too (hopefully).

Of Mice and Men is so depressing. sad.gif It almost made me cry. Dracula I haven't read, but Frankenstein is a must-read, especially if you're into FMA. biggrin.gif I hope you pick up The Great Gatsby again. I didn't like it on the first read, but now that I've taught it, it's actually quite nice.

Yeah, I think I will - my sisters gave me mixed reviews (one said it was brilliant, another said it was rubbish)
Meh, the only book that really made me cry was Apache by Tanya Landman - that was like a hopeless sadness. Oh, I recommend Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I haven't been reading as much as I used to D:
Mhacy
I'm reading The Da Vinci Code right now. I have watched the movie but I don't really understand it, reading the book makes more sense and I think it was soo good that I've ever imagined xP
KwiatekAlchemist
Sad, Mad and Bad by Lisa Appignanesi.
It's about women and mind doctors and describes the relationship between psychiatry and women over the last 200 years.
kazare
I just finished reading the twilight saga,, and the Harry Potter deathly hallows, I am digging inside the book entitled 'Brisngr" (correct the spelling) and Artemis Fowl. I am also trying to dig my purse for the 49 clues . . .
Loreley
I'm reading The Science of discworld II: The Globe, by Terry Pratchett. It's awesome as the first Science of Discworld, but a bit more difficult to understand because it tries to explain how things as society, art etc. make us human, what science is, how stories shaped our mind... But it's worth it, I can't wait to finish it and read the third Science of Discworld book! biggrin.gif

I'm also reading Un indovino mi disse (A Fortune-Teller Told Me), by Tiziano Terzani: he describes his travels across Asia by land and sea following the advice and warning from a fortune teller in Hong Kong that he avoid airplanes for a year, travelling by car, train, ship, and asking to every fortune-teller he could find about his future.
This is the third or fourth time I read it, he describes everything in great detail but with an unique freshness, as if he sees everything with the wonder of a child but with a sharp, adult mind able to see links, causes, effects.
kazare
Well I am reading Rebel with a Cause by Franklin Graham . . .
Forgiven
Cujo by Stephen King
Katya Martin
Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce. Man, it's been too long since I read her stuff... so much awesome.
IceSkadi
Earthsea novels by Ursula K. Le Guin

I love to kill myself reading giant fantasy books P:
sidekick.kep37
You don't know me by David Klass. Initially, this book reminded me of Cather In The Rye (which IMO is a wonderful book), but as the book progressed, I just found something... else in it. Anyways, I just finished reading it and it's a great quick read if you're looking for one. This book is about a teenage boy who goes through life's ups and downs- primarilly downs and basically just does his best to keep living life. He's a bit of an outcast and the book, written in his POV, has its own great style. I love it.
Katya Martin
Timeline by Michael Crichton. It's one of the few of his books that aren't about "OH GOSH SCIENCE IS GOING TO KILL US." A good read.
evel
Some crappy book I got for christmas, The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan. Not very good, weird and boring, but since it's mine I have to read it. XD Actually I'm almost finished it, I read it almost completely immediately after christmas, but then I left it be.. XD

(Blah, I should find books which i really like, not just 'haha I'm bored so I read this crappy book'. >_>)
Anyarel
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.

Les liaisons dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos.

Katya Martin
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.
A Pierrot's Aria
Thomas Becket - Frank Barlow
The 12 Caesars - Suetonius
Duma Key - Stephen King
KwiatekAlchemist
Empress by Shan Sa
Yuuri-Matsumoto
I just finished reading Yowamushi Nikki laugh.gif
kazare
[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font]Just Finished reading Harry Potter:Deathly Hallows.
paramore_addict
Just reading Jurrasic Park . . .
Mhacy
A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
The Copycat Alchemist
About to Read a lot of Edgar Allen Poe stories, however, I've been recently reading a manga called "Otomen" :3 Cuuuttteee Shojo.
Broken Chouchou
I'm currently reading a novel called "The Book Thief", by Markus Zusak. It's about a little girl who's lost her brother and been abandoned by her mother, in the midst of the Hitler Jugend in Germany, 1939. The book is being narrated by Death, he is the one retelling the events of the girl and the people around her.
Mhacy
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
lunneth
the knife of never letting go by patrick ness and the sigh of haruhi suzumiya by nagaru tanigawa
Chiyo
(ahem, books not manga please, we have a whole separate thread for that)

I am currently working through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami and I'm going to get through The Lovely Bones again before the film comes out.
KwiatekAlchemist
The German Woman by Paul Griner
Billea_the_Turtle
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
*sighs* I get so confused by all the different points of views.
Mhacy
Full Circle by Peter Straub -horrifying, terribly scary..xP
Satori
Candide- Voltaire
Thalogens
@Broken ChouChou - That book made me cry at the end, which is a big deal for me D':

@Lunneth elric - And that book is amazing too, theres a sequel called 'The Ask and the Answer' (I think) And he's currently writng the third one now

Anywho, at the moment I'm reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Its the first classic that I havent dropped after a few days, the only problem I have with it is he describes things in way too much detail (Anentire page on one person!!) and there have been a few degrogatory comments towards women, but.. what can you expect from that era?
kazare
I am trying to force my hands into the book saga of 'Dear John' and 'The Notebook."
Mhacy
Fallen by Lauren Kate well, I'm kinda disappointed because i thought it was as beautiful as Hush Hush by Becca. but darn! the narration was boring. It was a nice story though the actions only take part at the near end..I really prefer Hush Hush xP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.