Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Omamori
Let's see...
...I believe right now I'm reading Four Past Midnight by Stephen King; inside that quintuplet of novellas, I'm on 'Secret Window, Secret Garden', which is, so far, my favorite of his stories.

...At least...it's better than 'Cujo' or 'Christine'.
Maphisto40
QUOTE (Saving_Grace @ Jan 20 2009, 03:45 AM) *
I just read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (loved it) and I'm about to start The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

I adore Pride and Prejudice, it's my favorite Austen work. The Princess Bride is also very, very good. I read that a few years ago and just loved it. The movie is also great. happy.gif

I am currently very close to being finished with Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (book 4 of the Twilight Saga). I liked this series faaaaaaar more than I ever would have thought possible when I first heard about it, though this last book had quite a few WTF moments. wink.gif
Chiyo
Just finished reading one called The Resurrectionist by James Bradley, a fiction about the people who used to steal corpses to sell to anatomists. A fairly good read but the pace was up and down throughout.

The last book I never finished, and usually I hate doing that, was one called Cover to Cover by Robert Craig. The basic plot is a woman finds a book that tells the stort of her life. Apart from being first person it switched from the books narrative to her own each paragraph in some chapters. Otherwise she goes insane and outcasts everyone half way through the novel, so I didn't care to carry on.
Rainshine
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 20 2009, 11:48 PM) *
I just read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (loved it) and I'm about to start The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

I adore Pride and Prejudice, it's my favorite Austen work. The Princess Bride is also very, very good. I read that a few years ago and just loved it. The movie is also great. happy.gif

I am currently very close to being finished with Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (book 4 of the Twilight Saga). I liked this series faaaaaaar more than I ever would have thought possible when I first heard about it, though this last book had quite a few WTF moments. wink.gif

The Twilight Series... I know several people who are just obsessed with it..

I read the first 3 books... but never found the motivation to read the 4th. huh.gif
My friend says it has some stuff about vampire genetics, is that correct? cool.gif
Maphisto40
QUOTE (Rain-Alchemist @ Jan 22 2009, 08:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 20 2009, 11:48 PM) *

The Twilight Series... I know several people who are just obsessed with it..

I read the first 3 books... but never found the motivation to read the 4th. huh.gif
My friend says it has some stuff about vampire genetics, is that correct? cool.gif

Hmmmm....ummm....kinda sorta? Nothing technical really. I can't say anything more without spoiling the plot. happy.gif
Rainshine
It's ok my friend already did.
XD
Edit: Oh, Maphisto, you're an apprentice!
You can be apprentice buddies! biggrin.gif
Maphisto40
QUOTE (Rain-Alchemist @ Jan 22 2009, 08:39 PM) *
XD

Yay! I didn't even notice lol. So what do Apprentices do besides blow things up with their novice alchemy? tongue.gif

I just started reading The Golden Compass (book one of the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy) by Philip Pullman.
Rainshine
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 22 2009, 09:09 PM) *
QUOTE (Rain-Alchemist @ Jan 22 2009, 08:39 PM) *
XD

Yay! I didn't even notice lol. So what do Apprentices do besides blow things up with their novice alchemy? tongue.gif

I just started reading The Golden Compass (book one of the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy) by Philip Pullman.

LOL... we, uh... practise drawing flawless circles.
I looooooooove the Golden Compass! biggrin.gif
Naivete
Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.
Rainshine
Still reading Plague Dogs That book is so boring, but I'm halfway through, I can't give up now!!
dry.gif
mei_tenshi
Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert. Course reading, not fun-reading, but fun-to-read. Emma Bovary's penchant for drama (as in, "the tumultuous" > "the familiar")...reminds me of my sister.

Will (need to) start on John Okada's No-No Boy this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. =D
Saving_Grace
QUOTE (Naivete @ Jan 23 2009, 06:06 PM) *
Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.

Yeah, good luck with that. I read about half of it, got bored, and put it down. While I have a large amount of respect for Dickens, I thought that the plot was dull and the characters (while some were brilliant) were mostly unlikable.
Rainshine
I finished Thousand Pieces of Gold! biggrin.gif
I'm still reading Plague Dogs, and I just started Annie on my Mind.
(Which is appropriate, since I have a song from Annie Warbucks stuck in my head right now)
*head/desk/wall/ceiling/floor/mom/desk/repeat*
laugh.gif
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well as for me i am about to re-read the eragon series again. cause i just got the last book and it ihas been a while since i have read the books.
Rainshine
I read Eragon once, and I recently tried to re-read it, but I gave up. dry.gif
I forgot to add, I'm also reading The Time-Travelers Wife.
BlackxSweets
I read the Bartimeaus Trillogy, Inkheart,
Chiyo
QUOTE (Rain-Alchemist @ Jan 30 2009, 06:21 PM) *

Fantastic novel, and not as hard to follow as you might think.

I'm reading Night Music by Jojo Moyes, predictable womans fiction but I don't care.
MaiShadowAlchemist
-The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
-Artemis Fowl - The Lost Colony
-De Parte De La Princesa Muerta (I have no idea how is it called in english ^-^U)
Rainshine
QUOTE (Chiyo @ Feb 9 2009, 06:11 AM) *
QUOTE (Rain-Alchemist @ Jan 30 2009, 06:21 PM) *

Fantastic novel, and not as hard to follow as you might think.

I'm reading Night Music by Jojo Moyes, predictable womans fiction but I don't care.

I know.. I finished it a while ago.. it was sooo sad! ;-;

Still working on Plague Dogs... >__> If it wasn't a library book i might have burned it by now.. it's taking for-ev-er. I've had to renew it 3 times, and I'm still only half-way through.
When I'm done with that, I'll probably read either Gaviotas, Pride & Prejudice, or Scat.
Artixte
The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan, his writing amuses me. I would crack up for a straight hour over a page or two every once in a while.
mei_tenshi
Woman Hollering Creek, by Sandra Cisneros, and The Scarlet Letter. Again. I've lost track of how many times I've had to read The Scarlet Letter for a class.
Naivete
Yeah, good luck with that. I read about half of it, got bored, and put it down. While I have a large amount of respect for Dickens, I thought that the plot was dull and the characters (while some were brilliant) were mostly unlikable.

Hahaha, that's what I thought at the beginning of the novel. I was so tempted to just put it down and forget about it but it become slightly more interesting towards the middle. I'm moving through it, albeit very slowly.

Also occupying myself with Markus Zusak's The Book Thief (needless to say, this book occupies more of my attention than Great Expectations does. xD)
Untitled
Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

Lol I'm finally reading more Dx
Prince the Ripper
Currently:

Dante's Inferno
Maximum Ride: Final Warning
Underworld: Evolution

I should have finished Inferno by now....I'm just too lazy I guess =/
Tombow
I'm just starting: Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking, by Charles Seife.
Quistis88
I am halfway through Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena. It's a translation, of course. I only wish I could read/write/speak Japanese fluently. tongue.gif
Blitz
EDIT: Parasite Eve sounds really interesting. ohmy.gif

Still trying to work through the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo. It's pretty amazing. <3

I just finished The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, which was actually pretty enjoyable as far as school assignments go.
Rainshine
I'm re-reading Howl's Moving Castle.
I love that book! biggrin.gif
Artixte
I'm reading The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan. I read his book Marley & Me a couple years ago and I absolutely loved it. I usually don't favor reading animal books, but I just loved the way Grogan tells his stories, it's so amusing that I would crack up over a couple pages for like an hour.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well i am reading Brisingr by Christopher Paolini. it is really intresting book. even though i am not even half way through it. smile.gif

Dickens
I can't only read one book at the a time, so I'm currently I'm reading Wuthering Heights (again), The Shining and Blackwood Farm
mei_tenshi
The Great Gatsby (3rd time? I forget). I just got to the part where Myrtle goes "Daisy! Daisy! Daisy!...Dai--" and I heard my 11th grade English teacher's voice doing that line. Totally creepy. mellow.gif
Mat-Mat
100 Things You're Not Supposed to Know by Russ Kick, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx
Dr.JeVousManger
A Series Of Unfortunate Events, Book the 6th: The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket. I'm loving this series! ^^
MaiShadowAlchemist
-La Montańa Del Alma
-De Parte De La Princesa Muerta
-Alice Adventures In Wonderland (:3 Suddenly I just felt like reading it again XD)
-La Oracion De La Rana
mei_tenshi
Just finished Her Wild American Self by M. Evelina Galang, moving on to Beloved (will definitely be the 3rd time I've read this).
Liska
I'm somewhere in the middle of Steal This File Sharing Book. The book is basically for general readers, so it doesn't have much new information for me. But it is interesting, and some chapters can be useful.
Naivete
Just about completed The Plays of Oscar Wilde, about the start Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights.
Slashrose1010
Right now, I'm currently engaging The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I really like it so far, just a little over half way through.

And after that, Lolita by Nabokov.
Forgiven
Benny Hinn's book, "In defense of Israel". It sounds like a nice book at first, but I'm only reading it because I herd in Chapter ten it gets kinda weird. o_0.....
kimonodragon88
I just finished reading "The Last Sin Eater" by Francine Rivers, now I'm working on another one of hers called "And the Shofar Blew". Rivers is my new favorite author. smile.gif
kkg22104
Finished When the Wind Blows, started on the sequel The Lake House, both by James Patterson.
MaiShadowAlchemist
-The Divine Comedy (Dante Alighieri)

Chiyo
mei - I have that issue with Jane Eyre, whenever I read certain chapters can hear the voice of my old teacher in my head.

Just finished "The Peacock Emporium" by Jojo Moyes (easy cheesy McDonalds for the brain).

I am just about to start "The Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks. It's based on a true story about a village (I've been there) which, during the plague in 1666, quarantined itself. Nobody could leave or enter the village for an entire year.
Hagaren_4ever
I'm about to purchase, "As I lay Dying" by William Faulkner.
Tombow
<Program Note>

@spikeville - Your post was taken out. Please stop making spam-offtopic postings.
sidekick.kep37
I hate summer reading (although, I do like reading...) because of the books they make us purchase/read....

Lord of the Flies
and
Into Thin Air

The latter of which I have no idea is a decent read, but I've already read the former, and I don't really like it... at all
Mhacy
The Embrace by Aphrodite Jones.
i plan to read Breaking Dawn if ever i got my monthly allowance. happy.gif
Saving_Grace
Last books I read were Persuasion by Jane Austen and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (did you know he died?!). Not sure what I'm going to tackle next. Probably 1984 or another Austen.
FMAobsessed
Right now I am reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. It is pretty interesting so far.

I have also been reading the Pendragon series. That series is really good. The author is D.J. MacHale. I highly recommend them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.