Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Satori
My Year of Meats- Ruth Ozeki
Omamori
QUOTE(~Kurenai~ @ Jun 24 2008, 05:23 PM) *
Trying to read Twilight. . .

I'm only on the the 3rd page and I already don't like it. I don't think I'll ever finish this book because I was told that it gets interesting in the 8th chapter.

This beginning didn't hook me at all!

Yeah, I know what you mean.
It does get interesting after that chapter (while the beginning points out that the book was cheap and poorly written.)

Anyway...the sequels were horrible, worse than the first book.
But her new book, The Host, which has no relation to the Twilight series, is pretty well-written and decent. Heh.

Currently reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. So far, so good.
Mat-Mat
I'm currently reading The Odyssey, The Tommyknockers, and anymore mystery and science-fiction novels I can get my hands on. biggrin.gif
DustStorm
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond @_@
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
Hanozo
Parasite Eve (Caught my interest)
and Anesha Ash or something like that.......so boring but for stupid summer reading dry.gif
AzhiDevn
I'm out of books right now.
But I'm planning to go shopping tomorrow and buy some. n_n
Saving_Grace

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. They're both rather violent (especially Clockwork) but they're brilliant. happy.gif
Naivete
^I've been meaning to try A Clockwork Orange for some time now...

Right now, I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 for school. I was so happy we were assigned something like that, since Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors.

ASDF. I absolutely hated Fahrenheit 451. Never read any of other Ray Bradbury's other works though.

Reading bits of Oscar Wilde's work from a complete collection book. Currently in the middle of The Picture of Dorian Gray.
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(baKa-neKoh @ Jul 14 2008, 04:46 AM) *
Right now, I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 for school. I was so happy we were assigned something like that, since Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors.
ASDF. I absolutely hated Fahrenheit 451. Never read any of other Ray Bradbury's other works though.
I liked Fahrenheit 451, but my favorite Bradbury works are in his short story collections (Dandelion Wine and The Martian Chronicles in particular). Even if you didn't like F451, you should definitely check out his other stuff. You might be pleasantly surprised. smile.gif

(Not reading anything atm.)
Blitz
QUOTE(DustStorm @ Jul 13 2008, 09:48 PM) *
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond @_@
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

Same here; for AP World....
The Land of Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer [sequel to Sea of Trolls]
Omamori
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Ah, ha, ha...
Satori
The Girl Who Played Go
ukbsktbll
Eldest
Fuberbachen
Right now I am reading Jumper, Eragon, and the Silmarillion.
~Kurenai~
Reading Memoirs of A Geisha.

Going to get started on Breaking Dawn next week.

I never thought I'd ever say this but I've been hit and afflicted by the vampire love story thing. It's actually pretty good. I refused to read it at first because it was so popular.
Artixte
O my god! You're reading memoirs of a geisha!? It's really good, it's a little better than the movie..like most books (cept for HP, I really hated the Harry Potter books. I read 2 of them and it wasn't worth my time) But, I still loved the movie as well, I thought they were both excellent.

That whole Twilight thing's bitten some boys too...And I totally hated reading before I read the Twilight Series, haha. Breaking Dawn's pretty good, I'm not gonna spoil it since you haven't read it yet, but I thought it sort of disappointed me..And it sort of didn't, that's the confusing part, ugh...

Right now, I'm trying to see if I can grab the L/Naomi Case w/Beyond Birthday book, I want to read it sleep.gif
AzhiDevn
I'm reading 3 books...xD

Túneles
Balada del Siglo XXI
Grimpow

Migchao
The Circle of Blood, The Adventures of Alfred Kropp, The Theory and Practice of Hell, The Fifty-Minute Hour, and My Lobotomy.
Omamori
Let's see...I'm reading Paradise Lost by Milton...
...and Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke.

The latter book is one I've been waiting for for the last two years, even though I own the German translation. I just never had time to translate it into English.
Woo-hoo!
Drakeneo
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
AzhiDevn
yes, lot of books..n_n
I'm recently reading 3 book at the same time..lol xD
-Túneles
-Balada del Siglo XXI
-Barrotes de Bambú
AzhiDevn
Túneles
Balada del Siglo XXI
Barrotes de Bambú

I'm still reading the first 2 ones, and starting the last one...n_n
Artixte
Cyrano de Bergerac at school, it's by some French author, and it's a play but I like it since it's funny/poetically romantic happy.gif
Innocent-malice
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaneil Hawthorne

its okay, stupid teacher is making me read like 1/3 of the book every week...
Chiyo
Lets see, at the moment its "The Accidental" by Ali Smith...but soon I'll have the whole Otori clan series to go through now I have "Heavens Net is Wide" and "Harsh Cry of the Heron"
Saving_Grace
QUOTE(XxWanderfullPursonxX @ Oct 3 2008, 04:21 PM) *
O my god! You're reading memoirs of a geisha!? It's really good, it's a little better than the movie..like most books (cept for HP, I really hated the Harry Potter books. I read 2 of them and it wasn't worth my time) But, I still loved the movie as well, I thought they were both excellent.

That whole Twilight thing's bitten some boys too...And I totally hated reading before I read the Twilight Series, haha. Breaking Dawn's pretty good, I'm not gonna spoil it since you haven't read it yet, but I thought it sort of disappointed me..And it sort of didn't, that's the confusing part, ugh...

See I could write books about how much I loathe the Twilight series, I think they're terrible. I find Meyer to be a rather ordinary writer who just stumbled upon a bankable concept. I prefer Rowling to Meyer much like one would prefer a box of chocolates to a pile of donkey poo. That's just my opinion though, I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just blunt and over-opinionated.

Memoirs of a Geisha was a lovely book, but I've always found it to be the type of thing that you can only read once, or very rarely, as it gets tiresome after a while. Almost like it's over-whelming in a way. I get the same thing with the movie, but I adore that too. I just found out that there's a whole bunch of inaccuracies in Memoirs the other day, anyone reading it should look them up, it's given me a higher opinion of the Geisha than that which I had while reading the novel.

Well, what am I reading now? Well, I started reading The Man in the High Castle the other day, but it's been a little bit disappointing so far, so I probably won't continue it. I ended up reading Tennessee William's A Streetcar Named Desire on a flight last week, and I really liked that ("STELLA!!!"). What else? I've been halfway through Great Expectations since July, and I probably won't ever finish it because I already know the ending and the plot bores me.

I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of Chuck Palahniuk's Choke, because I just read Fight Club a few months ago, absolutely adored it, and now I want to read more Palahniuk. Seriously, I highly recommend Fight Club, it's the best book I've read all year. It's well written and quite funny.

The next thing I think I'll read will probably be Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, it's one of my favourite books, and I haven't read it in a few years, so I'll attach myself to it soon, despite the fact that I've got Terry Pratchett, Nick Hornby and a whole bunch of classics which I've yet to read glaring at me from behind my laptop.
Quistis88
I am currently reading Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching.

And just for Bacon, my husband first read Lovecraft a week ago, and now he's in love. tongue.gif
Lt. Misha Mustang
I'm almost done with Twlight so next I'm reading Battle Royale.
I heard the book is pretty and more gruesome which I like.
Quistis88
QUOTE(~Kurenai~ @ Jun 24 2008, 06:23 PM) *

I'm only on the the 3rd page and I already don't like it. I don't think I'll ever finish this book because I was told that it gets interesting in the 8th chapter.

This beginning didn't hook me at all!

I'm glad that it's not hooking you. I would like to say that, personally, Twilight offends me. In that it is nothing but a fangirl's fantasy fanfiction. Stephenie Meyer herself said she never did any research on vampires when she wrote her books. That alone I do not respect. Who writes books and doesn't do research beforehand? It's an insult to Bram Stoker.
Omamori
The Bad Seed by William March

Saw the play and had to read the book, and I'm still getting those damned goosebumps...
ScarMySoul
Brisinger by Christopher Paolini

I love this series and this third book is great. happy.gif

laugh.gif I'm the same way... I started to read it but then was like yeah [/puts down book].... I lost interest in that one quick but I guess I should give it a chance...
Chiyo
Just finished reading The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. The story itself didn't grasp me as much as The Lovely Bones, but I still read it in the space of a few days. Horrific events once again told in a matter of factly way but still able to show the mental decline of the main character.

I think Quis sums up Twilight perfectly, and its fanfic style has made it fanfic fodder. I read a chapter and found it uninspired, dull and certainly lacking in any knowledge of the vampire myth. What surprises me is when I read of fans saying "yea most of its boring"...what exactly did you enjoy then?
Omamori
^ The romance. Har.
I like 'Twilight', but I have to agree that it is rather...slow? Okay, so what if she didn't research vampires when writing the series: THEY'RE MYTHICAL. Plus...we all have a general idea of vampires; research...is not needed.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
Quistis88
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Nov 7 2008, 08:45 AM) *
I think Quis sums up Twilight perfectly, and its fanfic style has made it fanfic fodder. I read a chapter and found it uninspired, dull and certainly lacking in any knowledge of the vampire myth. What surprises me is when I read of fans saying "yea most of its boring"...what exactly did you enjoy then?

Bella is nothing but a self-insertion Mary-Sue. The book has so much angst, I don't need other rabid fangirls developing more angst than they already have. As well, this book seem so misogynist, and places the notions of higher standards in young girls' (and women's) heads of a "perfect mate". Someone like Edward simply doesn't exist. This book is detrimental to society in so many ways, I'm not even going to go into it.

QUOTE(Rosicrucian @ Nov 9 2008, 10:09 PM) *
^ The romance. Har.
I like 'Twilight', but I have to agree that it is rather...slow? Okay, so what if she didn't research vampires when writing the series: THEY'RE MYTHICAL. Plus...we all have a general idea of vampires; research...is not needed.

That is a fair argument, but at the same time, because vampires are not her invention, there are past mythologies that I feel she needs to respect. You can do whatever you want with something if you make it up yourself, but when you are taking from something that already exists (the mythology of vampires), I see it as a cheap way to write whatever you want with whatever you want - it's plain lazy writing. What's more, mythology aside, her writing style isn't that great anyway. Way too much passive voice.

QUOTE(Rosicrucian @ Nov 9 2008, 10:09 PM) *
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

See, now that is what people should be reading. laugh.gif

I am currently reading Ian Rankin's Knots & Crosses, by one of my husband's favorite authors. I'll get through the Rebus series eventually.
Chiyo
^Agreed, it would be like writing a Frankenstein themed book making "Frankenstein" the monster with a sqaure head, bolts in his neck and a green face. That's the general perception, but it's completely wrong.

Anyway, as you say Rosicrucian, Twilight is a romance, and as Quis points out if Edward were a more "realistic" vampire, no romance could be.
Mat-Mat
^I'd have to agree with all of you about Twilight, yet...there's something that makes people want to read on towards New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. Only God knows what's going to happen when the new book comes out. Still, I like it, and it's pretty ok.

Currently, I'm reading Things Fall Apart, Dracula, and Twilight...there's nothing else to read in our small library. DX
AzhiDevn
"Brisingr" - Christopher Paolini
Prince the Ripper
Currrently reading:

The Inferno by Dante Alighieri
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
-and-
The Host by Stephanie Meyer

I've had the third one for awhile...but the fonts a bit small for me so it's taking forever for me to finish =.=
Blitz
The Count of Monte Cristo

Completely unabridged, 1300 pages, and I'm loving it. :3
MaiShadowAlchemist
-Finnis Mundis - Laura Gallegos
-Breaking Dawn - Stephanie Meyer
Cece
The Great Gatsby in school
Causmicfire
Lord of Chaos - Robert Jordan

It's the 6th book in the Wheel of Time Series.

I'm also re-reading Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle
Cece
QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Dec 10 2008, 01:50 AM) *

What's Many Waters about?
Causmicfire
QUOTE (Cece @ Dec 10 2008, 11:21 AM) *
QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Dec 10 2008, 01:50 AM) *

What's Many Waters about?

After disturbing their parents' experiment, they're transported to a desert, a near the brink of sun stroke, the twins (Sandy and Dennys) are found by a water prospector, Japeth. When they wake, separated, they find out that they're not in their own time, or possibly or world, but a time and place where unicorns, two-foot-tall mammoths, manticores, nephilim, and seraphim exist. During their recovery, they each grow as individuals through their different experiences, and eventually figure out where they are. Like C.S. Lewis, L'Engle has found a god balance between fantasy and Christian Theology.
Cece

After disturbing their parents' experiment, they're transported to a desert, a near the brink of sun stroke, the twins (Sandy and Dennys) are found by a water prospector, Japeth. When they wake, separated, they find out that they're not in their own time, or possibly or world, but a time and place where unicorns, two-foot-tall mammoths, manticores, nephilim, and seraphim exist. During their recovery, they each grow as individuals through their different experiences, and eventually figure out where they are. Like C.S. Lewis, L'Engle has found a god balance between fantasy and Christian Theology.

That sounds really interesting. I love fantasy booka. As a child I used to love unicorns. Ikindastilldothough...
HannahBlack09
A hundred years of solitude- García Marquez

Aint she sweet? - Susan Elizabeth

: )

I recommed both!
Dead-Poet
Let Me Call You Sweetheart - Mary Higgins Clark
Moonlight Becomes You - Mary Higgins Clark
Bramblefox
Reading is my life. Seriously. I don't know what I'd do without books.

Currently I'm reading 'Beat to Quarters', which is the sixth book in the Horatio Hornblower series. I highly recommend them, especially if you're interested in the British navy during the Napoleonic wars. *nods* And then after I finish that I'm going to work on 'Victory of Eagles', which is another Napoleonic wars type book but with a twist: it has dragons! It's the fifth book in the Temeraire series.

If anyone's even heard of these series, I will be thrilled beyond belief. *looks around hopefully*
Saving_Grace
I just read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (loved it) and I'm about to start The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
Rainshine
I'm currently reading Plague Dogs by Richard Adams (he's the same guy who wrote Watership Down, that book about bunnies who kill each other. O.o )

I'm also reading Thousand Pieces of Gold by I forget. >___> (sorry, author sad.gif )
I started reading Moby D ick, but it was too much for my small brain. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.