Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Kyros
whatever is assigned by my college professors...
Excel Aishi
QUOTE(fullmetal_4eva @ Aug 20 2005, 07:33 AM)
I'm reading "Interview with a vampire" by Ann rice

"The black house" By Sthephen king

and a couple others, i like reading a couple books at once lol tongue.gif
[right][snapback]255967[/snapback][/right]

Yay! Yes, i love all things Anne Rice. I'm currently reading a book in that series (merrick) and a Xanth book by peirs anthony ( up in a heaval)

Just finished one called The Named.

In case you can't tell i'm a bookworm. wink.gif
animefangirl
im reading war of the worlds
Quistis88
Currently Working On:

Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by Agatha Christie
An Anthology of Chinese Short Short Stories
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ailuro
Has anyone heard of Thinking in Pictures? I was thinking of reading it. huh.gif
~FMAgurl~
I read The Giver recently. It's now one of my favorite books. It was so interesting, and sometimes confusing. Anyone else read it?
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Sep 12 2005, 11:00 PM)
[right][snapback]283116[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, can't help you there. tongue.gif

QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Sep 13 2005, 04:38 PM)
I read The Giver recently. It's now one of my favorite books. It was so interesting, and sometimes confusing. Anyone else read it?
[right][snapback]283605[/snapback][/right]

Great book. There's a sequel/companion to it...I temporarily forgot what it's called...something-Blue... It's not as good as The Giver, I don't think, but still worth a read. From how it ended, it seemed like there may be a third book.

:edit: Just remembered: It's called Gathering Blue. biggrin.gif
Water Achemist
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Sep 13 2005, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Sep 12 2005, 11:00 PM)
[right][snapback]283116[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, can't help you there. tongue.gif

QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Sep 13 2005, 04:38 PM)
[right][snapback]283605[/snapback][/right]

Great book. There's a sequel/companion to it...I temporarily forgot what it's called...something-Blue... It's not as good as The Giver, I don't think, but still worth a read. From how it ended, it seemed like there may be a third book.

:edit: Just remembered: It's called Gathering Blue. biggrin.gif
[right][snapback]283734[/snapback][/right]

I read Gathering BLue, I really liked it. I'm not sure if I should read The Giver though....SOme of my classmates had to read it, and said it was disturbing....
mei_tenshi
The Giver was more stimulating for me. Sure, it's a little disturbing, but it's nothing compared to, say, George Orwell's novels and others on similar subject matters. Gathering Blue seemed a lighter read, and it didn't quite reach the depth that The Giver had. If you're not sure, just try it out for a few chapters. If it doesn't work for you, you can always come back to it later when you're ready.
WhiteMike
I loved "The Giver", it was an amazing book. I think I read it in grade 8, or some other time in grade school.
Do any of you guys read John Wyndham? I recommend "The Chrysalids" or "Day of the Triffids", but almost all of his books are great.
Also, I'm starting to read some of the old classics I turned my head from in my ignorant youth, like: Treasure Island, Chronicals of Narnia(all 7 or so of them, not just "The Lion..."), Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc. H.G.Wells had some amazing stuff, too.
@Chiyo: You must read "Life of Pi", I loved it. One of the best books I've ever read.
Velious178
Hmm, I'm in the middle of a fews books and manga.

Saiyukiby: Kazuya Minekura
Legal Drug by: CLAMP
The Edge Chronicles by: Paul Stewart
Homeland by: R.A. Savatore

biggrin.gif If anyone has any suggestions for a good series to read let me know.
mongooseboi
i duno whats up with books, but lots of ppl are reading them in their free time now..has reading books become cool?..i duno..

im reading Othello by none other than Shakespeare. don't read it unless you like to not understand what you read, because none of it makes sense without spark notes. tongue.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(mongooseboi @ Sep 15 2005, 09:36 PM)
i duno whats up with books, but lots of ppl are reading them in their free time now..has reading books become cool?..i duno..
[right][snapback]285433[/snapback][/right]

What do you mean? It's always been cool. mellow.gif

tongue.gif

I wish I could read more, actually. I've been reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell for the past week, and I haven't gotten very far since I've only beenn able to snag a few pages while waiting for class to start.
Carnal Malefactor
I really need to take another crack at Paradise Lost. I need it as research for my own little bit of fiction...
Quistis88
Have you read it once before already, Bacon? If not, the journey is long and painful . . .
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 16 2005, 02:44 AM)
Have you read it once before already, Bacon?  If not, the journey is long and painful . . .
[right][snapback]285575[/snapback][/right]

I got through the first two books, then got sidetracked. It's always very, very difficult for me to read things that are written in verse.
DarkWater Alchemist
Reading in verse needs practice... I've got Dante Aligieri's Divina Commedia on my shelf... but it's far to heavy to take it with me on the train ^^; (oh, and it's a tranlated version, of course, i pity the translators of this kind of work).

I want to read more of Ryu Murakami and Poppy Z. Brite...
Celestial Shadow
Hmm, I love reading. I'm glad I'm one of the more fortunate people who are able to see why reading's so fun.

Right now I'm reading:

The Wheel of Time series: Book 6: Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan (This series is awesome)

The Joyluck Club by Amy Tan (Decided to finally see what it was all about)

Quistis88
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Sep 16 2005, 04:41 PM)

That book isn't bad. I've been meaning to see the movie though.
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 16 2005, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Sep 16 2005, 04:41 PM)

That book isn't bad. I've been meaning to see the movie though.
[right][snapback]285958[/snapback][/right]

I remember seeing like two minutes of the movie when I was a kid. I guessed at the time that it was about some chinese ladies going through menopause tongue.gif

"Not bad"? So does that mean it's not as great as people make it out to be?
edsgirl
I used to love The Joy Luck Club! Right now I've been into Mary Higgins Clark and Agatha Christie. I've only read the first book in the Paradise Lost series, but I plan on reading the rest someday. How many books are there in total?
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Sep 16 2005, 05:47 PM)
I've only read the first book in the Paradise Lost series, but I plan on reading the rest someday. How many books are there in total?
[right][snapback]285966[/snapback][/right]
? You talkin' about this book? Or what huh.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Sep 16 2005, 04:47 PM)
"Not bad"? So does that mean it's not as great as people make it out to be?

Asian literature is usually a bit on the overrated side, I think (thus, if I ever get fiction published, I will not write about my heritage, etc.). The book is good, but there were some parts that made it a little mediocre at times. Don't remember what parts though.

QUOTE(edsgirl @ Sep 16 2005, 04:47 PM)
I've only read the first book in the Paradise Lost series, but I plan on reading the rest someday. How many books are there in total?

It depends on the edition you own/have/prefer. The older/original version has 10 books, whereas later editions have 12 (I read the one with 12, I believe).

@Celes: Yes, but it's actually an epic poem. smile.gif
~FMAgurl~
I'm currenty reading A Wrinkle in Time. It's kind of boring right now. Anyone know if it'll get interesting, or is it slow throughout the entire book?
^ Never liked it one bit. Didn't know what the hype was all about. Give the second book a shot in case it does become more interesting, but the last time I did that with Dragondrums, I suffered.
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Sep 16 2005, 08:13 PM)
I'm currenty reading A Wrinkle in Time. It's kind of boring right now. Anyone know if it'll get interesting, or is it slow throughout the entire book?
[right][snapback]286190[/snapback][/right]

I loved it, despite what others may think unsure.gif
Thievesvinegar
^loved it back in 7th grade. Good fantasy.
Femalchemist
I just finished 'Dragonsblood' by Todd McCaffery. His mother is the original arthur of 'The Dragonriders of Pern' and he has now started writing with her. I was iffy at first because she's the only one to write the Pern books but her son did a bang up job. It fits, yes there are sutble differences but it still works. If you are in to dragons you should like these books and yes there are quite a few of them. This is considered Sci-fi so if you don't like that then don't bother reading but for those who are, I do recommend this book.
~*(Jaded)*~
I just picked up Fahreniheit 451 from the library. So far it's really good. smile.gif
WhiteMike
QUOTE(~*(Jaded)*~ @ Sep 21 2005, 09:16 PM) [snapback]290180[/snapback]

I just picked up Fahreniheit 451 from the library. So far it's really good. smile.gif

That book is amazing, keep reading it.
Martel
I'm reading the play the Crucible and it's so... disturbing that something like that auctually happaned in America's history...
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Martel @ Sep 22 2005, 09:43 PM) [snapback]290947[/snapback]

I'm reading the play the Crucible and it's so... disturbing that something like that auctually happaned in America's history...

If you thought "The Crucible" was disturbing, you'll be surprised at what else happened in American history.

I haven't had time for a good leisure-reading session. I miss those. sad.gif
Thievesvinegar
Those villagers got what they deserved for allowing themselves be controlled by a delusional and hormonal teenage girl.
Martel
Lol! Abigale Williams is one of those characters that you want to smother with her own little pioneer hat
Agreed. Abigale is one of the most aggravating characters ever, IMO. Good play, though. Almost everyone who reads it really gets into it.
~*(Jaded)*~
Well right now (right this second) I'm reading "Tell Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe for the 10th time. dry.gif It's a great short story and all but, how many times are teachers going to tell us to read it?! sheesh
Quistis88
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Sep 22 2005, 10:48 PM) [snapback]290950[/snapback]
Those villagers got what they deserved for allowing themselves be controlled by a delusional and hormonal teenage girl.

Agreed.

QUOTE(Martel @ Sep 22 2005, 10:56 PM) [snapback]290956[/snapback]
Lol! Abigale Williams is one of those characters that you want to smother with her own little pioneer hat

"Crabigail", as I like to call her, is one of my most hated characters of all time. Winona Ryder portrayed her very well in that one movie, because I hated the Crabigail in the movie just as much, if not even more so.

QUOTE(~*(Jaded)*~ @ Sep 22 2005, 11:01 PM) [snapback]290959[/snapback]
Well right now (right this second) I'm reading "Tell Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe for the 10th time. dry.gif It's a great short story and all but, how many times are teachers going to tell us to read it?! sheesh

Why do you have to read it so many times? I fail to see the point unless it's for free-reading purposes.
Martel
I'm auctually reading the book for my US Lit class and today we got to watch the movie. I look at the end credits and didn't notice it was Winona Ryder until her name flashed up! But my teacher made us read the book outloud in class a few days ago and I kept falling asleep so I brought a copy home and just read it on my own lol!
~*(Jaded)*~
QUOTE(WhiteMike @ Sep 21 2005, 05:19 PM) [snapback]290184[/snapback]
QUOTE(~*(Jaded)*~ @ Sep 21 2005, 09:16 PM) [snapback]290180[/snapback]

That book is amazing, keep reading it.

You were right, great book! laugh.gif Even though it took me about 2-3 days to read I enjoyed it soo much!

Have any of you guys read "Sound of Thunder" By Ray Bradbury? (He's the same author as F451)

Well, they're making it into a movie! Can't wait! biggrin.gif

Zhalfirin
QUOTE(Martel @ Sep 23 2005, 12:43 AM) [snapback]290947[/snapback]

While I agree that the witch hunts were messed up, that book is actually about the McCarthy communist hunt where people accused of being a communist would name other people to get off the hook.

This witch-hunt and anti-communist hysteria became known as McCarthyism. Some left-wing artists and intellectuals were unwilling to live in this type of society and people such as Joseph Losey, Richard Wright, Ollie Harrington, James Baldwin, Herbert Biberman, Lester Cole and Chester Himes went to live and work in Europe (found here).
Blitz
I enjoy reading books that interest me, but the poll isn't letting me vote for some reason... I just finished up Animal Farm. Interesting political book.
Fan_Alchemist
QUOTE(Blitz @ Sep 24 2005, 11:23 AM) [snapback]291576[/snapback]

I enjoy reading books that interest me, but the poll isn't letting me vote for some reason... I just finished up Animal Farm. Interesting political book.

That book does sound familiar to me.
hitokiri
i don't know why but i've decided to reread the ender's game series...
Quistis88
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 24 2005, 05:14 PM) [snapback]291797[/snapback]

Well, there's no reason why you shouldn't, since they're such awesome books. smile.gif Although, I've only read Ender's Game myself. Haven't read the other ones yet.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 24 2005, 08:26 PM) [snapback]291835[/snapback]

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 24 2005, 05:14 PM) [snapback]291797[/snapback]

Well, there's no reason why you shouldn't, since they're such awesome books. smile.gif Although, I've only read Ender's Game myself. Haven't read the other ones yet.

then you have to read the bean saga... ender's shadow, shadow of the hegemon, and shadow of the giant. the bean saga is better than the ender saga by far.
Quistis88
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 24 2005, 10:06 PM) [snapback]291955[/snapback]
then you have to read the bean saga... ender's shadow, shadow of the hegemon, and shadow of the giant. the bean saga is better than the ender saga by far.

Ahh, good, then I'm on the right track. I purchased Ender's Shadow about 2 months ago. I heard that there were two sagas, and wasn't quite sure which book belonged to which saga. I guess the "shadow" ones are part of the Bean saga then?

What's the difference between the two? What makes the Bean saga better than the Ender one?
hitokiri
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 25 2005, 12:25 AM) [snapback]291971[/snapback]

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 24 2005, 10:06 PM) [snapback]291955[/snapback]

Ahh, good, then I'm on the right track. I purchased Ender's Shadow about 2 months ago. I heard that there were two sagas, and wasn't quite sure which book belonged to which saga. I guess the "shadow" ones are part of the Bean saga then?
yes all the "shadow" books are all about bean. oh i made a mistake on the order, its actually ender's shadow, shadow of the hegemon, shadow puppets, and shadow of the giant.

What's the difference between the two?

well first off after ender's game, none of the kids ever see ender again, but you knew this from the ending of the first book. if you remember when they explain about near light speed travel and the effect of time, when one travels at the speed time moves much more slowly for them and the rest of the universe. so by the time xenocide (the second book about ender) starts all the events of the bean saga and all the people in it have happen/been dead for a VERY long time.

the first part of the bean saga, ender's shadow is ender's game (the parts starting from after ender reaches battle school) told from bean's perspective, and then rest of the saga picks up right after when ender's game ends.

the ender saga takes a 3000 or so year hiatus and then starts again when he finally finds a place to plant the queen egg sack.... and then wacky viral, talking tree mayhem ensues... but i have to warn you, xenocide is an annoying read... i hate the path, you'll understand if/when you read it.

What makes the Bean saga better than the Ender one?

well...

a - bean is far more sarcastic
b - the great wall of india
c - there is no mention of the path
d - you get to see what happens to almost of the children from battle school, whereas the only characters from the first book in the ender saga are.. ender, valentine, peter, and the bugger queen... and someone that was there but you didn't know about it.
Quistis88
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 24 2005, 10:40 PM) [snapback]291980[/snapback]
yes all the "shadow" books are all about bean. oh i made a mistake on the order, its actually ender's shadow, shadow of the hegemon, shadow puppets, and shadow of the giant.

Ahh, ok, thanks. biggrin.gif

well first off after ender's game, none of the kids ever see ender again, but you knew this from the ending of the first book. if you remember when they explain about near light speed travel and the effect of time, when one travels at the speed time moves much more slowly for them and the rest of the universe. so by the time xenocide (the second book about ender) starts all the events of the bean saga and all the people in it have happen/been dead for a VERY long time.

So that means that if I were to read all of the books from both sagas, chronologically speaking, I should read the Bean saga first?

the ender saga takes a 3000 or so year hiatus and then starts again when he finally finds a place to plant the queen egg sack.... and then wacky viral, talking tree mayhem ensues... but i have to warn you, xenocide is an annoying read... i hate the path, you'll understand if/when you read it.

Hmm . . . a little discouraging to read that one then, but at the same time, curious . . .

a - bean is far more sarcastic
b - the great wall of india
c - there is no mention of the path
d - you get to see what happens to almost of the children from battle school, whereas the only characters from the first book in the ender saga are.. ender, valentine, peter, and the bugger queen... and someone that was there but you didn't know about it.

Ahh, valid reasons then. Thanks for the information. smile.gif
hitokiri
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Sep 25 2005, 12:47 AM) [snapback]291991[/snapback]

So that means that if I were to read all of the books from both sagas, chronologically speaking, I should read the Bean saga first?

the events of one saga have almost nothing to do with the other saga, after the events of ender's game/ender's shadow. so it doesn't matter which saga you start from. but since you already have ender's shadow, start the bean saga.

Hmm . . . a little discouraging to read that one then, but at the same time, curious . . .

actually i made another mistake xenocide is the third book, i forgot about speaker of the dead... sorry its been a long day, with a good deal of alcohol and ribs involved....
Quistis88
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 24 2005, 10:53 PM) [snapback]292000[/snapback]
the events of one saga have almost nothing to do with the other saga, after the events of ender's game/ender's shadow. so it doesn't matter which saga you start from. but since you already have ender's shadow, start the bean saga.

All right, thanks. I shall start that one . . . as soon as I have some more spare time.

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 24 2005, 10:53 PM) [snapback]292000[/snapback]
actually i made another mistake xenocide is the third book, i forgot about speaker of the dead... sorry its been a long day, with a good deal of alcohol and ribs involved....

Well, whenever there is "a good deal of alcohol and ribs involved", any and all mistakes are understandable. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.