Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Ah, the Bible's a bit tough. Start with the New Testament and Psalms if you must. Skip Leviticus.

You sound like this person I know who has read all of the fictions in our local library. She's 30-something, though. I'm not sure you're going to have anything left by that age.
mei_tenshi
>_< The horror! I pray that'll never happen...ah well. There's always non-fiction. biggrin.gif
thearchitect
I just recently finised reading Isaac Asimov's "I Robot" and am very annoyed at the movie. Couldn't they have at least kept the plot intact. It is nothing like the actual book. The only thing even tying it to the book is the three laws of Robotics, which they didn't even get involved in too deeply. The original book was completely about the Three Laws and Robopsychology. I don't even think I heard the word Robopsychology mentioned in the movie. I hate it when people butcher good books by making them into crappy movies.

Also I am currently reading Frank Lloyd Wright's "The Future of Architecture" It is a very interesting book. I am learning more about architecture from it than I am from my classes in college actually. Anyone who is interested in architecture at all should read it. It also has lots of interestingly philosophical parts for all of you Philosophy forum addicts.
Foolio
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Feb 13 2005, 03:32 PM)
@Foolio: Which sequel are you talking about? Speaker for the Dead or Ender's Shadow? huh.gif Speaker starts its own trilogy and Shadow's more a companion to Ender than a sequel, per se. blink.gif Meh. I like 'em both.

the one thats actually a fuckin sequal (speaker)
Chiyo
I'm reading 'Alchemy' by Margaret Mahy. I didn't realise it was a teen book when I bought it, but I am enjoying it all the same. The caption on the front says 'Another way of understanding the world...'

I needn't explain why this book caught my eye. wink.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(thearchitect @ Feb 13 2005, 04:25 PM)
I just recently finised reading Isaac Asimov's "I Robot" and am very annoyed at the movie. Couldn't they have at least kept the plot intact. It is nothing like the actual book. The only thing even tying it to the book is the three laws of Robotics, which they didn't even get involved in too deeply. The original book was completely about the Three Laws and Robopsychology. I don't even think I heard the word Robopsychology mentioned in the movie. I hate it when people butcher good books by making them into crappy movies.
[snapback]113171[/snapback]

I cringed through most of the movie, but considering the, ah, reputation of Hollywood, it's no surprise they would change it so drastically. To keep Asimov intact would cost the movie-people more than they care to fathom. Asimovians must keep in mind that Hollywood cares more about the bucks than the fandom. It's just their usual attempt to bring science-fiction mainstream. (Heck--if they stuck to how I, Robot was supposed to be, Will Smith wouldn't have a love interest and how can that be possible? [/sarcasm])

I did my junior research paper on Asimov last year and realized there's no way one of his books/stories can make it to the big screen without some very drastic changes. It just would've been better if Hollywood left I, Robot in peace.

@Foolio: What didn't you like about Speaker for the Dead? huh.gif
Kitty Cat
er.... its been a while since ive read some english books... but ive just read a quarter of a really boring nancy drew book before throwing it aside...

do magazines count? I just ficnshed reading Cosmo Girl (chinese version.. i bought it because alex fong was cover star) and Yes! (chinese magazine) and Ani-wave (chinese magazine on anime... includes lots of FMA info and awards)
Foolio
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Feb 13 2005, 10:22 PM)
@Foolio: What didn't you like about Speaker for the Dead? huh.gif

it was boring, plain and simple.
edsgirl
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jan 18 2005, 11:20 PM)
I just finished Galileo, The Mahabharata and The Bhagavad Gita in the last week.  I actually don't even feel like reading for a little bit (yes, it's really me, and I'm not on crack).

Although I'd like to start one of my Neil Gaiman books soon.
[snapback]90342[/snapback]

I love Neil Gaiman! I'm currently reading Coraline, but I've read American Gods and Death : The High Cost of Living. Which ones have you read?
Quistis88
I haven't read any as of yet, except for The Sandman: The Dream Hunters. That's the one that got me into Neil Gaiman's work in the first place, and if Yoshitaka Amano didn't illustrate that one, I wouldn't have picked it up either. It was so expensive, too. ph34r.gif
RogueAlchemist
Currently re-reading my way through the entire Anita Blake series, by Laurell K. Hamilton . Right now I'm finishing up the fifth book, Bloody Bones.
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(RogueAlchemist @ Feb 14 2005, 10:26 PM)
Currently re-reading my way through the entire Anita Blake series, by Laurell K. Hamilton . Right now I'm finishing up the fifth book, Bloody Bones.
[snapback]114032[/snapback]

Are they any good? huh.gif *smacks head* Well, if you're re-reading them...tongue.gif

They were on mei's "list" a while back, but she hasn't been able to locate them without having to buy them.
RogueAlchemist
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Feb 15 2005, 12:51 AM)
QUOTE(RogueAlchemist @ Feb 14 2005, 10:26 PM)
[snapback]114032[/snapback]

Are they any good? huh.gif *smacks head* Well, if you're re-reading them...tongue.gif

They were on mei's "list" a while back, but she hasn't been able to locate them without having to buy them.
[snapback]114037[/snapback]

Well, I rather like them, but I've also got an odd taste when it comes to reading. ph34r.gif The books range from dealing with her being the vampire executioner, to the lycanthropes, i.e. wolves, leopards.
Have you checked with your library? If the one you go to doesn't have them, check to see if other libraries in your system do. They can probably send the books to your library, so you don't have to travel far to get them.
mei_tenshi
@Rogue: Yes, they have a few, but there's always the odd one or two missing that discourages mei. She wants to make sure she has access to a complete series before she starts it. Paranoid, yes. -___-;;
Dark Alchemist1
right know im reading a non fiction book called The Alchemist, it's h ella cool
Quistis88
QUOTE(Dark Alchemist1 @ Feb 16 2005, 09:59 AM)
right know im reading a non fiction book called The Alchemist, it's h ella cool
[snapback]115045[/snapback]

The Alchemist by who?
animejunkie429800
I read books constantly especially when it's a really good book. I'm into genres like sci-fi and fantasy. I just finished HP6. I read manga, regular books, text books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, instruction manuals (weird, no?), anime subs, and forum posts. ^^
Last_one
New Harry Potter, wot wot. Very very good.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
While I know you are reading the forum right now I'm not talking about that. tongue.gif

I mean what, if any, book are you reading right now. I know there's tons of bibliophiles here on the board and I want to know what they have their nose buried in when they're not online.

Me.

I'm starting to re-read. Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner. An excellent book on buddhism that puts a whole new spin on it. A punk rock one if you will. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in buddhism. Even if you are not it's still a good read.

So, what about you?
Luckyalchemy27
Right now I'm reading a rather uninteresting book called "Horse Thief". It's for school, but it's pretty much the best thing on there. I have no clue why it's in the "advanced readers" catagory. A fifth grader could read it. dry.gif
edsgirl
I am currently reading a book called "Basket Case" by Carl Hiassan. Not that good, but I hate not reading a book to the end.
Toby-Chan
I haven't finished a novel since "Tuesdays with Morrie". That was almost a month ago. I tried reading "Flowers for Algernon", the long novel version, and couldn't really get far into it. (I don't know how good the long version would be, considering it was a short story first, then a tv movie, and then a novel...)
I still haven't read the Da Vinci Code, and I want to badly, but I fear I might end up losing it again. It's a stupid fear, but those missing library book fees hit hard. >:(
I read about 20 pages of it at my stepsister's house, and I'm hooked, but alas, I do not have it at my own house.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Jul 30 2005, 01:28 PM)
I am currently reading a book called "Basket Case" by Carl Hiassan. Not that good, but I hate not reading a book to the end.
[snapback]232892[/snapback]

I'm the same way. A book has to be really bad for me not to finish it.
Quistis88
Merging this thread with the "What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?" thread in SC. smile.gif

I'm currently a little over the halfway point in Sophie's World, and I hope to finish before Thursday so I can bring a new book with me on my trip.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Aw shot.

Sorry Quistis. I did do a search but this thread didn't come up. Although it doesn't suprise me that one exists.
Chibi Reina
Imma reading The Wanderer, for the sixth time.... O.o It's a goo book XD
Aleclom
I love reading, it's a way to learn a lot. Plus, it's entertaining. The book I currently want to read is Dr. Faustus , and the one I just finished was The Great Gatsby .
MiyokoChan
Me loves to read! biggrin.gif

Aleclom- Dr. Faustus is fun, sorta wink.gif

Currently I'm reading To the Lighthouse and Portrait in Sepia And I finally got my dad to read Angels in America so I've been reliving that one...
Aog
The new Harry Potter ,duh.
Martel
re-reading Artemis Fowl the Opal Deception... dunno why because it's depressing me... JULIUS!!!
Azura Elric
Eragon by Christopher Paolini, which I had stopped reading halfway through it because of the new Harry Potter Book XD
Aleclom
I'm attempting Huck Finn, but I just finished The Great Gatsby, so I'm having trouble adjusting to Huck Finn's type of dialogue.
xrninja
my sister brought back two David Sedaris books a few days ago, so i just finished "Naked" and am about a third through "Me Talk Pretty One Day," and both are fantastic. as for ones i haven't finished yet, i read 126 pages of "Prep" by i-don't-remember-who at Borders, and i'm about a fourth through "Eats Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss. smile.gif
Aog
Im reading the lastest Harry Potter and i cant put it down its so good.
Satsuka
QUOTE(Aog @ Aug 11 2005, 06:00 PM)
Im reading the lastest Harry Potter and i cant put it down its so good.
[snapback]248909[/snapback]

Me too!
zombie
im reading a book now
echos of earth thats good but their is two more after that. i have all three.
Mrs. Edward Elric
I'm currently reading "The Bass, the River, and Sheila Mant" by W.D. Wetherell for a school assignment...i really don't recomend this story to anyone. It's boring as heck and has no point in the story....
~.:Anime_Gal:.~
Goosebumps - the haunted house
Le Monkey
Re reading ''his dark materical'' by Phillip pulman..
again.. happy.gif
Joe J
Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Never really equated rabbits and violence before until I started reading this.

Peace,
Joe J.
Satsuka
Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince.
fullmetal_4eva
I'm reading "Interview with a vampire" by Ann rice

"The black house" By Sthephen king

and a couple others, i like reading a couple books at once lol tongue.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(Joe J @ Aug 19 2005, 01:23 PM)
Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Never really equated rabbits and violence before until I started reading this.

Peace,
Joe J.
[snapback]255960[/snapback]

that book depressed me.

i'm currently reading "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sedaris. another $16.18 gone from my wallet, but for a good cause.
The RZA
Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince
Celestial Shadow
I just spent 2 hours reading The Wheel Time series: Book V: Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan.
Mrs. Edward Elric
I want to read "Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince" but i havent got the chance sad.gif
Le Monkey
QUOTE(Mrs. Edward Elric @ Aug 19 2005, 04:48 PM)
I want to read "Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince" but i havent got the chance  sad.gif
[snapback]256062[/snapback]

PM me ok?
meg08
I'm reading the 5th Harry Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" I still dont have the 6th book. dry.gif
Mrs. Edward Elric
I'm currently reading:

The Cast of the Amontillado

By Edgar Allen Poe
~.:Anime_Gal:.~
The Shadow Dog by Anthony Hills
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.