Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
xrninja
CALCULUS: graphical, numerical, algebraic. single variable version

stupid calc textbook.
alchemist x
Thats sad

I'm reading about the holocaust
Gashole
The Opposite of Fate - Amy Tan
xrninja
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 23 2005, 05:41 PM)
The Opposite of Fate - Amy Tan
[snapback]95832[/snapback]

oh, how is it? i bought it from costco awhile ago but i haven't touched it yet.
Gashole
It's basically a collection of essays and short stories. So far nothing you haven't read in all of her novels. I always knew her novels were semi-autobiographical (the main character always being an Asian woman married to some white guy with her pidgin-English-speaking mother).
alchemist x
Ohh, fascinating.
Quistis88
Amy Tan . . . I've read her The Joy Luck Club. That one wasn't too bad. I've been meaning to watch the movie, since one of my friends have it on DVD. Every time I go to her place and ask to borrow it, I always forget in the end and leave it behind. mellow.gif I think my friend is annoyed by it. biggrin.gif
alchemist x
The giver
xrninja
joy luck club (the book) was pretty good, but i didn't like kitchen god's wife or bonesetter's daughter as much. mellow.gif
Gashole
Really? I actually like The Bonesetter's Daughter best. I think it's partly because I read The Joy Luck Club for my English class and didn't like my teacher very much and partly because my grandmother doesn't play mahjong but does have Alzheimer's.

Slightly off-topic: Doesn't it occasionally bother you when Asian-American writers (or any other non-Caucasian writers) keep writing about their Asian-American-ness, use Asian names, include Asian customs/languages etc? mellow.gif It's as if they were making a victim of themselves or something.
xrninja
well, i find asian-amercian themed books just get a little too repetitive after awhile.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 23 2005, 07:06 PM)
Slightly off-topic: Doesn't it occasionally bother you when Asian-American writers (or any other non-Caucasian writers) keep writing about their Asian-American-ness, use Asian names, include Asian customs/languages etc? mellow.gif It's as if they were making a victim of themselves or something.
[snapback]95855[/snapback]

Now that you brought it up, I've got to say that it actually does bother me. A lot. It's like they're crying out for attention, "Look at my culture, it's so cool!" I'm not saying that all these different cultures aren't nice in their own right, but it's getting to be a little too much, I think. This is why I told myself that if I ever decide to write a novel and publish it, I'll never go that route.

But these books are all the ones that win all these literary prizes because of the "exotic plots" and beautiful "coming-of-age" stuff. The plots and styles are overdone, in my opinion! Whatever exoticism they had is now GONE. Granted, there are a few good ones out there, but not very many. Once you read a few, the rest seems all the same.
alchemist x
What is your culture anyway?
Quistis88
Guess.
xrninja
or do you mean what's our nationality? because i'm not sure how i'm supposed to describe my culture, hmm...
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jan 23 2005, 11:08 PM)
Guess.
[snapback]95979[/snapback]

Personally, I think you're heritage is from South Dakota tongue.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 23 2005, 09:10 PM)
[snapback]95986[/snapback]

OMG, you're right wrong. biggrin.gif (I love that strikethrough code . . . )

xrninja, we could describe it as "the same as every other culture, only different."
ἀρχή
A little freudian slip there Quis tongue.gif

Actually now that I think about it, you're probably more North Dakota than South Dakota.
xrninja
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jan 23 2005, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 23 2005, 09:10 PM)
[snapback]95986[/snapback]

OMG, you're right wrong. biggrin.gif (I love that strikethrough code . . . )

xrninja, we could describe it as "the same as every other culture, only different."
[snapback]95988[/snapback]

you're a genius. biggrin.gif have i told you that before?
hitokiri
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jan 23 2005, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 23 2005, 07:06 PM)
[snapback]95855[/snapback]

Now that you brought it up, I've got to say that it actually does bother me. A lot. It's like they're crying out for attention, "Look at my culture, it's so cool!" I'm not saying that all these different cultures aren't nice in their own right, but it's getting to be a little too much, I think. This is why I told myself that if I ever decide to write a novel and publish it, I'll never go that route.

But these books are all the ones that win all these literary prizes because of the "exotic plots" and beautiful "coming-of-age" stuff. The plots and styles are overdone, in my opinion! Whatever exoticism they had is now GONE. Granted, there are a few good ones out there, but not very many. Once you read a few, the rest seems all the same.
[snapback]95861[/snapback]

more importantly most of these books are written in such a way that it sets us back and reinforces stereoypes. even though these author are well intentioned, at least the ones that are not intentionally doing it to make more money, it ends up basically Charlie Chan-ing everyone.
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 23 2005, 09:35 PM)

Actually now that I think about it, you're probably more North Dakota than South Dakota.
[snapback]96016[/snapback]

What's the difference between North and South? huh.gif

QUOTE(xrninja @ Jan 23 2005, 09:36 PM)
you're a genius. biggrin.gif have i told you that before?
[snapback]96017[/snapback]

Hee, I don't recall. But even if you didn't, you did now. Thank you, Captain. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 23 2005, 09:45 PM)
more importantly most of these books are written in such a way that it sets us back and reinforces stereoypes. even though these author are well intentioned, at least the ones that are not intentionally doing it to make more money, it ends up basically Charlie Chan-ing everyone.
[snapback]96025[/snapback]

Goodness knows the discriminating sort doesn't need any more help by being provided with even more stereotypes.

And I've never seen/read Charlie Chan, though it sounds a lot more interesting than all this other stuff I've read. mellow.gif
hitokiri
Charlie Chan was a fictional moive character in the 30's that was nothing more than an attempt to stereotype, malign, and exploit asians (the Chinese in particular). hell the actor wasn't even asian. i really don't know where you would find a copy of this any more though.
Quistis88
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 23 2005, 10:08 PM)
Charlie Chan was a fictional moive character in the 30's that was nothing more than an attempt to stereotype, malign, and exploit asians (the Chinese in particular). hell the actor wasn't even asian. i really don't know where you would find a copy of this any more though.
[snapback]96046[/snapback]

Is it that rare now? I did check the site where I order my friends books from and they are out of stock . . .
hitokiri
i would assume they would be those DVDs that are produced in minimum quantities due to lack of interest.
Quistis88
Ahh, I didn't search the DVDs yet, but I did now. They actually have some. And you can buy the 6 disk "The Charlie Chan Collection" for $79.02 Canadian. laugh.gif
Heh, the "Asians" did not look very... Asian. huh.gif
Black hair, black eyes, yet not quite there at all.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jan 24 2005, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 23 2005, 09:35 PM)

[snapback]96016[/snapback]

What's the difference between North and South? huh.gif

Actually I don't know what the difference is, but if you give me a day or two I'll make up a difference tongue.gif

Regarding charlie chan, I never saw those, but pretty much any "ethnic" character made in the 30's was horrible.

I typically don't get into ethnic basis research/reading, but I do remember reading a great book on Liberation Theology methodology. It was written by a latino-american (also a professor of mine who of course forced us to read his book tongue.gif). Liberation theology has a lot of themes of having ethnic groups being able to break out of oppressive conditions (oppressive culture), etc... Of course there are plusses and minuses to all that. In some respects it does what femenism does, which is help create more of a stereotype that "outsiders" can ridicule.

Anyway, just put that out there now that ethnicity was brought up. I've never had the stomach for those debates/issues and would rather just look past/auto-accept someone's ethnicity and get down to more esoteric discussions.
Le Monkey
I think after that all i can say is quote
Ms.Gassy when I say: ''I skip his over-
longposts and that is how he gained
my respect.''

Thank You Gassy for that one.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(le monkey @ Jan 24 2005, 09:46 AM)
I think after that all i can say is quote
Ms.Gassy when I say: ''I skip his over-
longposts and that is how he gained
my respect.''

Thank You Gassy for that one.
[snapback]96378[/snapback]

I'm so glad no one reads my posts. Otherwise, people might realize the secret to take over the universe tongue.gif
Le Monkey
That is why people will attempt and fail to read,
Thanks anyway Arche.
mei_tenshi
We finally started Hamlet today.

English teacher: "Since we went over the first scene, and had a sort of introduction to what's going on, now you can read ahead."
Me: "YES!!!" (high five to a friend who only looked at me strangely)

^ Highlight of my day. biggrin.gif
alchemist x
And, How old are you Mei
mei_tenshi
....What's that supposed to mean? dry.gif

laugh.gif I'm 18.

But according to a quiz posted somewhere (I forget where) I act 13, so any and all action of mine is excuseable, as I don't know any better than a 13 year old would. biggrin.gif
Foolio
QUOTE(alchemist x @ Jan 20 2005, 07:59 PM)
What are they about?
[snapback]92827[/snapback]

sorry im late i havnt been keeping up with this topic.

ok its about an alien and a human who leave earth seconds before its blow up to make room for a highway (or something like that). where they meet a 2 headed, 3 armed guy, another earthling who left a little eariler, and a depressed robot
Gashole
^ My dream book.
alchemist x
Whoa, weird.
alchemist x
Whoa, weird.
Foolio
did i mention its hilarious? i start laughing in class and people just stare at me ;p
alchemist x
Still, sounds weird.
Foolio
you have no idea
BabyGurlAIKF113
I would recommend The true confessions on Charlotte doyle , very good book
and Alchemy, Poppy is maybe short,but is also good to the sequal poppy and rye .
Those are what i read this week
alchemist x
cool. I'm still working on dragon singer.
mei_tenshi
Would that be Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger? If not, ignore this post.
alchemist x
Yes, yes it is.
mei_tenshi
How do you like it so far?

(It's my favorite out of the Harper Hall trilogy.)
alchemist x
So-far, it's really good.
I'm where menolly was sent to all of master-harpers to be tested. I think
mei_tenshi
Wait--did she get in already, or is this in the beginning?

Either way, it gets better once she's actually admitted.
alchemist x
In the beggining.
I just finished the first so I started the second
Dancing Alchemist
Well i just got done reading a book about HTML and XHTML smile.gif .
inneRdemonS
i cant read..... lol, im learning, i dont read much, but i do draw, so thats the only book i really open
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.