Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book(s) Are You Reading Right Now?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Thievesvinegar
i'm reading the crucible...again. Damn females.

And the awakening by chopin is very...how hsould i put it? artistcally written but painfully boring.
Quistis88
10-page essay, eh? That IS pretty bad. sad.gif

I finished The Da Vinci Code! It was excellent! Some parts were greatly predictable, but nonetheless, it turned out really well, and I am especially fond of how the epilogue was written. smile.gif
filimonovna
I just finished reading a really great book Memoirs of Geisha by A.Golden.
The book is really exciting, it tells a story of a japanese girl, who was sold to a woman, whic wanted her to become geisha. The whole story of her life is outstanding!
Riza Babe
Just Finished Harry potter and the prisoner of azkabam!!!!
AoiSora
QUOTE(Riza Babe @ Oct 17 2004, 06:18 PM)

YEAHH!!! SIRIUS IS THE BEST!!!! I want my own guy who can turn into a big black dog!! Him or Shigure will be fine. laugh.gif
filimonovna
QUOTE(AoiSora @ Oct 18 2004, 05:09 AM)
QUOTE(Riza Babe @ Oct 17 2004, 06:18 PM)

YEAHH!!! SIRIUS IS THE BEST!!!! I want my own guy who can turn into a big black dog!! Him or Shigure will be fine. laugh.gif

Don't remind me about Sirius, please... I'm so sad about him...
Quistis88
I know what you mean, filimonovna. I expected that to happen to Sirius, but it was still a bit of a shock all the same.
AoiSora
QUOTE(filimonovna @ Oct 18 2004, 04:19 PM)

Don't remind me about Sirius, please... I'm so sad about him...

Don't be sad... He is with his friends now. If you want to feel sad about someone feel sad for Remus. He is alone. All his friends are dead.....
Quistis88
I've been dying to read some of Sun Tzu's stuff, but never managed to find any. *sighs* I'm thinking of getting some Chinese classics though (Dreams of the Red Chamber, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc.), but they'll be translations, because I'm not that fluent in reading, especially if the words are not words I see everyday.
xrninja
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Oct 20 2004, 09:47 PM)
I've been dying to read some of Sun Tzu's stuff, but never managed to find any.  *sighs*  I'm thinking of getting some Chinese classics though (Dreams of the Red Chamber, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc.), but they'll be translations, because I'm not that fluent in reading, especially if the words are not words I see everyday.

i'm skimming through sun tzu's "art of war" right now (my grandpa's copy, autographed by someone with very pretty calligraphy), it's pretty interesting. i'd like to think that he's somewhere back there in my ancestry line, which would make up for all the teasing back in elementary school for having a fruity last name like "sun" sleep.gif and hopefully sun wu kong too, which is son goku in japanese :3 because i wanna be supa saiyan and all.

has anyone read "sophie's world" by jostein gaarder? it's a novel on the history of philosophy, and i was supposed to read it over the summer as an introduction to AP Language but i got the book 3 days before school started and only bothered reading like 80 out of 513 =P
Carnal Malefactor
Reading Bob Woodward's Plan of Attack currently.

Next up: Thomas Frank's What's the Matter With Kansas?
Ailuro
At the moment I'm reading

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.
hagane no hitsuji
Corrently reading Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere'.

'tis good stuff!
Zio
I love to read. The current books I am reading are "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger, "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu, "Doctor Faustus" by Chrisopher Marlow, Bram Stoker's "Dracula", Homer's "The Odyssy" and George Orwell's "1984".
Quistis88
Reading the classics, eh, Zio? biggrin.gif Why can't there be more guys like you who read all those? I'm discouraged by the small number of them. sad.gif
Zio
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 4 2004, 12:05 PM)
Reading the classics, eh, Zio?  biggrin.gif  Why can't there be more guys like you who read all those?  I'm discouraged by the small number of them.  sad.gif

Because not many men are as cool as I am. Few are willing to walk about a mile or two to a small town bookstore and buy two books every week.

Oh and I also finished reading "The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. Plus, I found my "Zombie Survival Guide" written by Max Brooks in the depths of my bookcase!
Quistis88
QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 4 2004, 01:08 PM)
Because not many men are as cool as I am. Few are willing to walk about a mile or two to a small town bookstore and buy two books every week.

Oh and I also finished reading "The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. Plus, I found my "Zombie Survival Guide" written by Max Brooks in the depths of my bookcase!

Two books every week? ohmy.gif Wow. Not even I can do that. But then again, I buy nearly 6 books at a time. I've wanted to read Stephen King's work, too, but haven't found the time. Still don't own any of his books though. sad.gif
xrninja
oh yeah, i'm reading "art of war" by sun tzu also. someday i'm going to trace back my lineage and see if i'm related to him XD maybe we're the from the same sun family rolleyes.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(xrninja @ Dec 4 2004, 01:12 PM)
oh yeah, i'm reading "art of war" by sun tzu also. someday i'm going to trace back my lineage and see if i'm related to him XD maybe we're the from the same sun family rolleyes.gif

That would be interesting indeed. biggrin.gif Tell us all about it once you finish your research!
Zio
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 4 2004, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 4 2004, 01:08 PM)

Two books every week? ohmy.gif Wow. Not even I can do that. But then again, I buy nearly 6 books at a time. I've wanted to read Stephen King's work, too, but haven't found the time. Still don't own any of his books though. sad.gif

Well actually, I didn't go last week and I don't plan to go this week. There are only 3 books left that I want to get at the store. (They don't restock very often.)

Perhaps you can order some of King's books online.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 4 2004, 01:15 PM)
Well actually, I didn't go last week and I don't plan to go this week. There are only 3 books left that I want to get at the store. (They don't restock very often.)

Ohh, I see. Do you have any recommendations? smile.gif
Zio
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 4 2004, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 4 2004, 01:15 PM)

Ohh, I see. Do you have any recommendations? smile.gif

Let's see, The Dead Zone, The Shining, Cujo, The Dark Tower Series, The Green Mile series(they were originally more than one book before the movie came out), and It.

King has made over 200 books and short stories. But the books above are the only ones I remember.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 4 2004, 01:21 PM)
Let's see, The Dead Zone, The Shining, Cujo, The Dark Tower Series, The Green Mile series(they were originally more than one book before the movie came out), and It.

King has made over 200 books and short stories. But the books above are the only ones I remember.

Oh, thank you! biggrin.gif I'll probably be stopping by a bookstore later today. I'll check to see if they have them in stock.
dreamcatcher_alchemist
I'm reading The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Its not bad thus far and deals some with Arthurian legend. its actually pretty good.
sasuki_604
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Now that is a good novel.
Quistis88
. . . and one of these days, I will read Lord of the Rings. I know. I'm ashamed. I haven't read it. I don't even own it. My brother has them but even he hasn't read them. So sad.
DarkWater Alchemist
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 14 2004, 10:06 PM)
. . . and one of these days, I will read Lord of the Rings.  I know.  I'm ashamed.  I haven't read it.  I don't even own it.  My brother has them but even he hasn't read them.  So sad.

Yay! for you Quisty! (if you allow me to call you that;))
I have read them in Dutch, I found the English a bit hard, but I have them all, in both languages, and I read The Hobbit in English, that went well and I really liked it smile.gif

And I finally voted. Me is a reader. *points to bookshelf and the books still to read*
Quistis88
You can call me whatever you like, DarkWater Alchemist. smile.gif I've heard some things about LotR as well, from my Grade 11 English teacher. He said something like:

"It gets really repetitive sometimes. 50 pages or something, describing a bush. And then, another 50 pages on the same bush because they pass it on the way back."

Hee hee. laugh.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
That's true, Tolkien is good at endless describings of the surrounding, and that was somewhere in The Two Towers so hard to follow, I gave up on the English version... But I guess it did help the people in charge of designing every set for the movies ^^

You can call me whatever you like too, DarkWater Alchemist is a long name sleep.gif
Quistis88
May I call you DW, then? tongue.gif

I haven't even seen the film version of The Two Towers, and apparently, that's the best one out of the three. I've seen the first and third (barely, because it was a big theatre and I sat at the very front row so I saw little to NOTHING). I'm always missing out on things . . .
sasuki_604
The book,The Two Towers is pretty good, but it just goes on and on.
And your teacher is correct,Quistis, Tolkien likes to decribe every little detail, whether its significant or not.
Quistis88
QUOTE(sasuki_604 @ Dec 14 2004, 03:01 PM)
And your teacher is correct,Quistis, Tolkien likes to decribe every little detail, whether its significant or not.

Ahh, then I must read it some day.

LOTS of descriptions, eh? At least it might help me improve my description skills if I read all of it. tongue.gif
sasuki_604
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 14 2004, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE(sasuki_604 @ Dec 14 2004, 03:01 PM)

Ahh, then I must read it some day.

LOTS of descriptions, eh? At least it might help me improve my description skills if I read all of it. tongue.gif

lol I'm sure it will.

hmm...do you recommend any good books?
Slashrose1010
Right now I'm Reading October Sky by Homer H. Hickam, Jr. It's for school but I could read it on my own. I've seen the movie and it was good. I heard the book was better. I also love the Outsiders. Why did Dally have to die?
mistress_aya
I'm actually pretty happy to be reading through The Art of Warfare (translated, of course, heh.) It's actually really interesting to read about these old battle tactics and about the different views of the battlefield.
Gashole
Tell us yours.

ἀρχή
This is a relevant and interesting topic

I read junk - currently looking through Reason Truth and History by Hillary Putnam. Actually I'm re-reading it to get a better sense on a few items.
Quistis88
I just finished Galileo, The Mahabharata and The Bhagavad Gita in the last week. I actually don't even feel like reading for a little bit (yes, it's really me, and I'm not on crack).

Although I'd like to start one of my Neil Gaiman books soon.
Gashole
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 18 2005, 09:19 PM)
why SC?

Because we want to educate those who like to hang out in SC more than anything.
telepika
The Bhagavad Gita... I have to read that later this quarter for Making of the Modern World dry.gif was it good?

Well, my current book obsession is Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan. I feel embarrassed being obsessed with those books because they're young adult books. Well anyway, I ripped through 6 books in the past week. I ran to the bookstore then almost went mad when they didn't have the next book. The staff probably thought I was crazy or something.

Well anyway, please read them.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Gashole @ Jan 18 2005, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 18 2005, 09:19 PM)
why SC?

Because we want to educate those who like to hang out in SC more than anything.

You sound like a missionary
Quistis88
QUOTE(telepika @ Jan 18 2005, 09:28 PM)
The Bhagavad Gita... I have to read that later this quarter for Making of the Modern World dry.gif was it good?

Let's just say that I fell asleep for about 3 minutes half-way through. Or maybe I was tired. Either way, it's not all too bad. Might be a little difficult to understand at first. I suggest reading this one AFTER The Mahabharata to get a better sense of what's going on.
hitokiri
um i haven't really read for pleasure in a long time... i just feel i could use that time on other things (ie sleep, video games, partying, etc).

but i'm currently reading Dutch: A Comprehensive Grammar by Bruce Donaldson. i'm trying to learn dutch both for business and so next time i goto europe i'll have another language in my repertoire.
Quistis88
Dutch as well . . . admirable indeed.

Why can't I be multilingual, too . . . *wants to go to a bar and start a brawl to release anger*
ἀρχή
The one thing I hate about learning another language is vocabulary. I love learning about new grammar and different structures, but I hate having to memorize all the vocabulary necessary to get up to speed. I'm just so lazy tongue.gif
Gashole
Hallo, Tante.
Hallo, Om.
Hallo, Oma.

Look, I speak Dutch.
ἀρχή
As long as you can ask where the bathroom is, you have mastered the most important part of any language. After that, it's all fluff.
xrninja
Cooking for Dummies.
mei_tenshi
The Tale of the BOdy Thief, Anne Rice. It's taking me forever to read it! (I'm taking breaks in between the slow parts, hoping it would pick up the next time I crack it open. Or hope that I'm motivated enough. Horrible, I know. If I wasn't on such good terms with the school librarian, I would be afraid to show my face there. >.< )

Just started the intro/background info to Shakespeare of Hamlet, will officially begin reading it in class tomorrow.
Quistis88
I'd also like to comment that Anne Rice moves really slowly. Or so I find. Then again, I've really only read the first of her vampire chronicles and had glimpses of the others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.