Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Really Interests You
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2
ἀρχή
First, if this thread has been done, please merge it. I checked, but didn't see anything, but there are sometimes hidden duplicates tongue.gif

Anyway, I'm just hoping to add to the Open Chat discussion area with meaningful discussion. If you want to just post noise, please remember that it belongs in Spam Central in one of the appropriate threads.

So, what really gets you excited about a day or really captivates you? I have to say I get very excited when I can work with information and work with interpreting information. I just love using my interpretive skills learned way back to work on data. It's even better when I can work with people who don't understand information and need to learn (I love teaching people to think about things).

I also get excited with my daughter as many of you obviously know smile.gif. She just has great energy, forcing me to keep my mind active. I love her imagination and listening to her stories. I've been thinking of giving her a tape recorder for her to just tell her stories into it and listen to them later.

I'm sure there are other things, but I'll open this up for input now.
hitokiri
my motivation for the work week: earning money and pondering about the joy that i can buy with it....

my motivation for the weekend: sleep, watching tv in my underwear, spending my money... laugh.gif
ἀρχή
It's funny, my life would probably be much easier if I was motivated by money. I wouldn't have spent a lot of time working for non-profits or pursuing non-related degrees. I just can't get motivated by money. I consider it a necessary evil and really don't find it satisfying.

It's sad that I'd rather give up money to do what I believe and/or care about. That's why I was unemployed - I didn't care about the money loss, I needed to leave or be lumped together with unethical business practices.
hitokiri
eh when i was growing up, we were poor immigrants. i never had any cash in my pcoket when i was kid; so i promised myself that i would never allow that to happen once i got a job. that and i'm a bastard...

i have a theory, "Adults that can't help themselves, don't deserve help."

my folks came to the US with $500 and a horrible comprehension of english, they've done just fine for themselves. so why should i help people who've had more advantages but pissed them away?
ἀρχή
That's why the non-profits I typically have worked for were ones that specialized in mental health issues or disabled. That's an area where people can't always help themselves or need some coping skill to let them help themselves. Of course it's a fine line and you get people who baby their clients and others that push them too hard.

My parents were well enough off, but fought about money all the time, so I grew up not liking it or caring about it. Nowadays, my expenses are clear - pay for whatever the kid needs tongue.gif
Ailuro
I get excited when I'm solving mildy challenging algebraic equations or performing experiments in Chemistry. Or when I have a great idea that have to write or draw before I start telling everyone I meet on the street about it.
Different languages also makes me quite excited, or when I have a chance to show my physical strength in front of people and surprise them.. I'm stronger than most of the boys at my school. ^^
Riza Babe
horo horo lol
mei_tenshi
I love reading. That motivates me. Good discussion on books and other pieces of literature is fun, too. That's why I love my English class. I lose track of time there, and when I lose track of time that means my mind's actually occupied by something other than contemplating what I would rather be doing. Over last summer part of the English reading package was analyzing the works using dialectical journals and prompt questions, which really got me thinking about the deeper meaning and what the author is trying convey.

Anything that makes me think outside of my comfort zone is motivational.
LordGohan
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Jan 18 2005, 02:42 PM)
I love reading. That motivates me. Good discussion on books and other pieces of literature is fun, too. That's why I love my English class. I lose track of time there, and when I lose track of time that means my mind's actually occupied by something other than contemplating what I would rather be doing. Over last summer part of the English reading package was analyzing the works using dialectical journals and prompt questions, which really got me thinking about the deeper meaning and what the author is trying convey.

Anything that makes me think outside of my comfort zone is motivational.

I extremly agree with mei_tenshi.I also like videogames*drool*
Cloud28
i get excited when watching bleach! lol!
xrninja
when i have the inspiration for a drawing and the time to do it smile.gif or when i'm going to go the library or book shopping, or i have some manga i'm going to translate. or when i know i'm going to have a good fight in karate. of course knowing i'm going to go out with my friends gets me excited, and also if i know no one's going to be home and i have the house to myself :3 and if i have a lot of anime ready to be watched.
also_cursed
I love to figure out puzzles. There is nothing more satisfying than that lightbulb moment when I see the answer to a problem I've been working on. This is increadibly cheesy, but it's true for almost all of my classes (math, english, history). I also really like coming up with ideas, even if I'm not patient enough to write them down tongue.gif
Thievesvinegar
arche, have you ever read Douglas R. Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid? I'm having trouble understanding some of the stuff.

Hitokiri, kudos to you and your family. Admirable, however I don't know if you can really say that not one single human being gave you any kindness. Maybe i'm being too optimistic. But maybe there's kindness in that steel heart of yours. Some things just don't fall under equivalent trade.
mei_tenshi
@also cursed: I know what you mean. I used to do a lot of brain teasers, and even went out to buy books of them. These days the puzzles are mostly Physics homework. >.< Something the teacher likes to say is "You can't get 'AHA!' without 'HUH?'" The AHA! moment after a challenging problem is truly awesome. biggrin.gif
edsgirl
What motivates me right now is being able to take care of myself so that I can take better care of my child. I hate my job with a passion, but it pays my bills and lets us live a pretty comfortable life. In my spare time I like to read and sometimes i even try to draw dry.gif , that usually doesn't turn out okay. I just try to do something different whenever I can!
Quistis88
Things that inspire/motivate me:

Reading
That's a given, isn't it? If the content/plot of whatever it is that I am reading is really good, then it inspires me to do the same and write something spectacular. Haven't done so yet, since the Muse leaves for her coffee break every time I get that feeling and sit down at my computer. But I feel motivated to improve my writing skills, which I know still has a long way to go before it reaches anything that remotely resembles excellent quality.

Video games
RPGs, especially, since I love games where you can't win just by button-mashing. It inspires me to think about strategy and the like. And if the soundtrack is really good, it will make me want to compose a little something of my own.

Money
If I didn't get paid for the job that I didn't even apply for, then I probably might not go. But then, I'm not so cruel that I'd deprive the children of their musical education. I just wish I didn't have to do it in Chinese. I would be able to do so much with them, because they actually understand English. At least I get money for OT.

Philosophy
Makes me think about things, and ask impossible questions that I can't ask anyone except for people who knows what the topic is. I did this with my friends once and they just said it's "too deep" and "what does that mean?" Inspires me to learn more about the potential depth of everyday things just to spite them.

Morons
They help me get in touch with my cynical/evil side. How is that motivating? I don't know, it just is. Helps inspire me to work hard to rise above them, perhaps, just to show them that I can.
Thievesvinegar
^morons can be inspiring? wow.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Jan 18 2005, 06:48 PM)
^morons can be inspiring? wow.

Well, I thought that since we have to share the world with them, they might as well be good for something.
Thievesvinegar
Fair enough. But often when i'm pointing and laughing, i end up the moron.
Kawaii_Demon
Well many things interest me ^^.

First off my boyfriend. He's just a great person to be around and has this energy that it just spreads to everyone ^^. He's smart and really makes me stop and think about my future because most of the time I'm just living in the moment. My Gabey is just a great inspiration to me in many ways ^^.

The second the thing is art. I draw.. alot.. Learning new things about drawing and expressing myself through it. Like when I draw it makes you try to figure things out and put it down on paper. You can always try to find ways to try to improve yourself when your drawing whether its anatomy or putting things in perspective. You can put deep meanings into your artwork or just very simple ones.^^.

Reading for the same reasons as mei_tenshi..

And a couple more things I might say later... ^^'''''
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jan 18 2005, 08:35 PM)
Philosophy
Makes me think about things, and ask impossible questions that I can't ask anyone except for people who knows what the topic is.  I did this with my friends once and they just said it's "too deep" and "what does that mean?"  Inspires me to learn more about the potential depth of everyday things just to spite them.

Yes, I've read up on philosophical issues just to ask people about them and get the "what good is that?" response. I like it as it helps me maintain a bit of arrogance over the common person tongue.gif

arche, have you ever read Douglas R. Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid? I'm having trouble understanding some of the stuff.

Sorry, haven't read it, so I can't help you there.
Carnal Malefactor
Human suffering an humiliation inspires me.
Username05
I am intrested by people and there thought. We all look past the fact that another person would see something much differently than us. there vision, hearing, sence of taste and touch, personality, artistic talent, logical thinking, book smarts, language, evrything is different. I like to walk up to people and ask what was the last thought you had befor i so rudely interupted you. I think it is wonderful how even the way someone walks is different everything is customized to there life, ands it is imposible for someone else to change, or immitate someones thought.
Bling_bling_Angel
I'm motivated by the thought that I exist for a reason and that I do what I do because I must.
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Jan 18 2005, 10:22 PM)

The question then becomes for what purpose and who is the agent of action?
Le Monkey
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Jan 19 2005, 03:34 AM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Jan 18 2005, 10:22 PM)

The question then becomes for what purpose and who is the agent of action?

tongue.gif

That works
Raven
*sticks little finger in my mouth* Hmmm....
Well, I find anything involving fantasy interesting. Also, the strange and unusual fascinate me. Strangely, the prospect of money dosen't really motivate or exite me much. What does motivate me is the hope of being something better, and being apreciated for it. Also, proving people wrong seem to motivate me. Like last year my history teacher thought I would fail the exam, but I didn't. tongue.gif The idea of flying exites me; in a little training plane. It's quite ironic really; my parents allow me to have flying lessons, but the prospect of my driving a car seems to terrify them.
Le Monkey
AHHHH, you driving...
AHHHHHHH

Get off the roads kiddies!!!

AHHHHH
Chiyo
Deep question indeed.

I love to write, which is lucky because alot my course involves that. I love to let my creativity flourish. I do lots of studies on films, and now I get to choose which films I write about. I discuss the ideologies and subjects like that. I've found that I do that all the time now. It's as if I'm showing off to myself that I know what I'm looking for nowadays.

Reading, can't get enough of reading either. I try to add a range to my reading list so I don't stick to theone area.
Dark Alchemist1
girls and games intrest me
Le Monkey
^ You male??
Prinz_Zoisit
...uhm... what keeps my ambitions for things...

- everybody who posts philosophical questions in this forum...
- without this forum i wouldn't be able to think about philosophical questions as strong as i do now...
- i discuss with friends(i meet them only very seldom) about the past and about philosophical things...

- concerning Christianity, ...the things that happen to me every day, to see a structure in the happenings and events(may they still be very small).. they let me know that i live the right way, i think so...
- i like to read books that i see in shops, stories(like german mythology, general knowledge so to speak) that i was already interested for a long time...
- when i hear Bachs music, i can feel with him and when i see the notes i almost can feel at some situations why he chose a certain chord, etc...it's this mind-connection^^;;;

- anime often caused me to cry with it's music, the atmosphere, etc...(which is the same as with the baroque music)...something like that for me is worth to be loved.......-.-
- concerning school, ... i am happy and very thankful that i was accepted at the university on which i am now...

- concerning life, ... i am thankful for the talents, the mind, the body that i got, that i can hear such wonderful music, that i know such beautiful and intelligent ambitious admirable ppl in this world...

QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Jan 19 2005, 02:19 AM)
[snapback]90167[/snapback]

.......Did i hear the name B A C H?!?!?! Ask me, vinegar... ask me... i'll try to answer you any question about Bach and his mysterious messages through notes^^^^^^^^^^
eerabbit
i love to:
read..when i was in 5th grade, i walked into a pole a few times because i was too invovled in the story to see where i was going happy.gif
play with puzzles, especially if its a picture by thomas kinkade, theyre so pretty x]
play piano, but only when its a song i really like :3

music motivates me, sometimes when im listening to something, phrases i can write in poems [or pictures i would draw if i had the talent] seem to come out of the music and speak to me
Kaji_Renkinjutsu
I like books..Drawing, sleeping, videogames, and hanging out with my strange--but cool--friends.
Username05
Video Games!!! I love video games, they are awsome, and they are the greatest thing ever made. I just want Xbox live for playing Halo2, it isn't as fun when not playing other people.
Kaji_Renkinjutsu
QUOTE(Username05 @ Feb 17 2005, 09:02 PM)
Video Games!!! I love video games, they are awsome, and they are the greatest thing ever made. I just want Xbox live for playing Halo2, it isn't as fun when not playing other people.
[snapback]116516[/snapback]

Wanna know a few other really good things?

Rubber bands and magnifying glasses...-evil grin-

I like torturing people for fun...happy.gif
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(Kaji_Renkinjutsu @ Feb 17 2005, 08:06 PM)
I'm a sadistic freak who takes pleasure in not only tourturing other beings, but also posing and declaring statements in a pathetic attempt to become "cool."  I am too young and spoiled to fully understand the repercussions of what I type.

[snapback]116520[/snapback]

Godamn, don't <censored for the kiddies> around with torture.

..I think reading the Amnesty international manual has gotten to me.
Quistis88
Sorry, Thieves. That word is a no-no. mellow.gif
Slashrose1010
Slash's Motivations: Bettering one's self, school, people (Ma' and Pa'), desire (games, skill, music, comics), fun biggrin.gif I like writing stories though I usually only get half way through then get bored dry.gif
Kihaku
The first things that comes to mind: Manga and Anime. Wait that is two things... but anyway... I'm prob. too addicted to certain series. If I see a certain volume at the shop or at the library my heart races and right when I start watching a certain epsisode I feel excitited. I guess the pleasure I get while I enjoy it is great too. biggrin.gif
Oh and books... films... and if i suddenly come up with something great for my story wink.gif Also writing/reading/watching and getting to a good part motivates me. Good series can keep my spirit up and put me in a better mood if I'm feeling depressed.
Hmmm.... also getting good results. In anything... School, sports and in general anything good that happens to me.
Waiting for a certain event.. meeting a friend I haven't seen for a long time.. maybe meeeting new people...
Of course money... I love getting money biggrin.gif
Kaji_Renkinjutsu
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Feb 18 2005, 12:51 PM)
Slash's Motivations: Bettering one's self, school, people (Ma' and Pa'), desire (games, skill, music, comics), fun biggrin.gif I like writing stories though I usually only get half way through then get bored dry.gif
[snapback]116812[/snapback]

Speaking of writing stories..I have a whole bunch saved on my comp..I'm just too lazy to finish them. What's the point of finishing them, anyhow? Whenever I get REALLY far, my comp has a meltdown..then we have to reprogram the entire thing--everytime.
Slashrose1010
A few of my interests are: Girls, Writing, Anime, Video Games, Comics, Movies, Music, Guitars, Rock, People and Friends, Family, Travel, Cooking, Science Fiction, Drawing, Art in General
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Kaji_Renkinjutsu @ Feb 18 2005, 04:45 PM)
Speaking of writing stories..I have a whole bunch saved on my comp..I'm just to lazy to finish them. What's the point of finishing them, anyhow? Whenever I get REALLY far, my comp has a meltdown..then we have to reprogram the entire thing--everytime.
[snapback]116947[/snapback]

Mei has a bunch of creative writing stuff stored away, too, though it's not so much her getting lazy as her not getting inspiration for the next part. Sometimes, she just gets this strong urge to continue a project and she just keeps at it until that wears off, and she works on something else (be it another story or another hobby). There's really no pressure to finish it, but Mei really would like to do so eventually. Finishing a story is like completing a thought and mei doesn't like to do things part-way.
Kaji_Renkinjutsu
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Feb 18 2005, 04:49 PM)
A few of my interests are: Girls, Writing, Anime, Video Games, Comics, Movies, Music, Guitars, Rock, People and Friends, Family, Travel, Cooking, Science Fiction, Drawing, Art in General
[snapback]116949[/snapback]

-nod- I like everything on your list...just scratch off girls and cooking. I'm horrible at cooking...The best thing I can make is cereal. ^^;;
Look! It's the talkative teenybopper who keeps wanting to be the last poster of the thread!
Kaji_Renkinjutsu
QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 18 2005, 04:51 PM)
Look! It's the talkative teenybopper who keeps wanting to be the last poster of the thread!
[snapback]116952[/snapback]

o.0 huh.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Kaji_Renkinjutsu @ Feb 18 2005, 04:53 PM)

o.0 huh.gif
[snapback]116954[/snapback]

It doesn't help you any to prove Guest's point. Try to avoid short expressions and smilies. Two or three words wouldn't hurt, but keep it tame for the lil'uns. mellow.gif
Kaji_Renkinjutsu
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Feb 18 2005, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE(Kaji_Renkinjutsu @ Feb 18 2005, 04:53 PM)

o.0 huh.gif
[snapback]116954[/snapback]

It doesn't help you any to prove Guest's point. Try to avoid short expressions and smilies. Two or three words wouldn't hurt, but keep it tame for the lil'uns. mellow.gif
[snapback]116956[/snapback]

Okie dokie...I was just wondering what the heck she was talking about--now I get it, though.
blueices
To help get things back on track:

Nothing excites me more than music.

It has the incredible power to make a lame movie time-less, to make your bad day into a good one, to give you energy at 4am when you're desperately trying to write a paper, and to simply control your every emotion...happy.gif
Slashrose1010
@Kaji: Gassy is a girl dry.gif I made the same mistake. Gender confusion is always fun on forums biggrin.gif

Other Interests: Playing football, volley ball tournament this coming friday, Greek Mythology, Norse Mythology, Japanese samurais, shoguns, Oni etc.

Edir: @Blue: Yeah, I know what you mean. Music can evoke so much emotion and can be soo creative. There is no better creation of man than music.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.