Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 10 - The Phantom Thief, Talkback Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
Final_Fantasy8989
FMA Espisode 10 airs in 2 hours (where i live)!! I cant wait! So when you see it post your comments/thoughts here.

jessin
I wonder if they're going to cut out the "*squish**squish* WTF you're a girl!??" part.....lol
Kitoky
They almost have to - it is afterall Adult Swim.
TheVileOne
Considering some of the stuff they get away with on their comedy shows, I doubt they will cut it.

ETA:
As I predicted, they didn't cut it and kept it in.

Kitoky
Of course. Seeing as though it's part of the action scene - they probably wouldn't or even couldn't.
TheVileOne
Great episode, I love Psiren. Luci Christian did a great job playing that character. Marc Stoddard played the Zenigata like Detective. He's also Inspector Meguire on Case Closed FYI.

Is Ed a glutton or what? He just wouldn't stop eating or pigging out in this episode. Even in earlier episode he eats like a slob. You think he'd be a little more sensitive around Al, since Al can't eat.
KnightusMaximus
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 15 2005, 10:14 PM)
As I predicted, they didn't cut it and kept it in.

Indeed.. I think its time we start giving [adult swim] credit where credit is due, for airing this series uncut, at least thus far. I'm glad both dub and sub watchers don't have to worry about missing anything the show has to offer.
TheVileOne
Yeah seriously guys, give it up and bow down to Funimation and Adult Swim!
Dark Sasuke
Lmao,that episode was funny. That preview to the next episode's kinda confusing though. BTW, feel free to post any spoilers about the next episode.
Final_Fantasy8989
Please put all spoilers in a spoiler save thinggy! But i really like that episode, the ending was great! But im kinda lost, what happened between episodes 9 & 10? Because at the beginning of 10 they where talking about their fail in finding the SS, so when where they done reminiscing?
ἀρχή
The best thing about that episode is the fact that it shows how easy it is to fool Al tongue.gif

I loved it when she shows up after each building is destroyed. The reaction is just priceless laugh.gif
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Final_Fantasy8989 @ Jan 16 2005, 04:22 PM)
Please put all spoilers in a spoiler save thinggy! But i really like that episode, the ending was great! But im kinda lost, what happened between episodes 9 & 10? Because at the beginning of 10 they where talking about their fail in finding the SS, so when where they done reminiscing?

Final Fantasy8989. Believe it or not, episodes 1 and 2 take place between 9 and 10. Remember at the end of 9 they were heading to Lior and three years had passed bringing us up to when episodes 1 and 2 took place. At the beginning of 10 they have left Lior and are heading back to East City to report to Mustang.
Toby-Chan
Ha! I heart Psiren.

They changed Ed's whole gender confusion thing! Pooh!
TheVileOne
I dunno, its pretty obvious she is NOT a guy, so maybe they didn't want Ed to look stupid.
Kitoky
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 15 2005, 10:30 PM)
Yeah seriously guys, give it up and bow down to Funimation and Adult Swim!

I shall never bow down to FUNimation or Adult Swim!

tongue.gif

FUNimation - uses crappy dubs and sometimes dubs theme songs.

Adult Swim - uses wrong theme songs and shortens the theme songs! Nuuu!!
Full Metalloid Alchemist
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 16 2005, 03:05 PM)
I dunno, its pretty obvious she is NOT a guy, so maybe they didn't want Ed to look stupid.

Her Ginormous breasts kinda gave that fact away.
Kitoky
Indeed....

She did big breasts =/
TheVileOne
This way in the dub, it makes Ed seem like he knew she was probably a woman but ended up groping her by *accident*. Accident, yeah right wink.gif .
Kirara
This way in the dub, it makes Ed seem like he knew she was probably a woman but ended up groping her by *accident*. Accident, yeah right

Ed's reaction to that was priceless (I bet Al would have been jealous if he knew). Still as soon as Psiren called Ed pipsqueak he got back to his senses. You gotta love Ed. laugh.gif
Full Metalloid Alchemist
QUOTE(Kirara @ Jan 16 2005, 07:31 PM)
This way in the dub, it makes Ed seem like he knew she was probably a woman but ended up groping her by *accident*. Accident, yeah right

Ed's reaction to that was priceless (I bet Al would have been jealous if he knew). Still as soon as Psiren called Ed pipsqueak he got back to his senses. You gotta love Ed. laugh.gif

Your reaction would have been priceless to if you had just grabbed an incedibly hot women's breast twice with no reprocussions. I bet the only real reason Ed kept chasing was for another shot and her big beatifull breasts. Also Ed wouldn't tell Al because Al can't feel so it just would have made him sad.
Kirara
Well since I am a girl and have my own, trust me I would not of had the same reaction as Ed.

And I think you are taking my Al comment a little too seriously, it was a lighter episode so I was looking at it in a lighter context, it was pretty obviousy Al was pretty smitten with Psiren, it was very cute. Though I think Ed was a little smiten too even though he wouldn't admit it. He was blushing afterall. smile.gif.
Full Metalloid Alchemist
I didn't say your reaction would be the same, but that it woud also be pricelss, which you being a girl and all would make it even funnier. As for the Al thing it doesn't matter this episode is filler anyway.
TheVileOne
Really guy, calling this or any episode of FMA filler for that matter is an insult to the greatness of the series. If you want filler, watch shit like Inuyasha or Naruto.
Linda
Adult Swim always have the best Anime Shows. tongue.gif I dont know any other station that shows anime shows except for TEch TV.
Quistis88
Psiren's voice acting wasn't all too bad.

I love how Al's gullible side shows through in this episode, too. tongue.gif
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 16 2005, 10:45 PM)
Really guy, calling this or any episode of FMA filler for that matter is an insult to the greatness of the series.  If you want filler, watch shit like Inuyasha or Naruto.

Umm... it is a filler since... it didn't add anything to the whole story, it served up nothing that affected the characters' developments, it had no effect on the general storyline, its settings was totally out of whack with the FMA world ( keystone cops?! ).
Queen of the dammed
Uhh... Ed has hormones and is a pervert too? Or Al can be easily fooled by sexy babes? laugh.gif;
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 17 2005, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 16 2005, 10:45 PM)
Really guy, calling this or any episode of FMA filler for that matter is an insult to the greatness of the series.  If you want filler, watch shit like Inuyasha or Naruto.

Umm... it is a filler since... it didn't add anything to the whole story, it served up nothing that affected the characters' developments, it had no effect on the general storyline, its settings was totally out of whack with the FMA world ( keystone cops?! ).

Well that just shows how much of a fan you are because you aren't paying attention. This was a very important episode. Ed and Al are given a clue where to next go on their journey to find the Philosopher's Stone according to Psiren. Ed also feels he's found just another person that is using alchemy for evil and wrongdoing, but this episode was part of his learning that the world is not as black and white as he thinks it is. Psiren isn't really evil, she's just trying to help her city in an odd yet dishonest way.

Filler, I think not. To lazy viewers, maybe.
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 17 2005, 03:20 AM)
Well that just shows how much of a fan you are because you aren't paying attention.  This was a very important episode.  Ed and Al are given a clue where to next go on their journey to find the Philosopher's Stone according to Psiren.  Ed also feels he's found just another person that is using alchemy for evil and wrongdoing, but this episode was part of his learning that the world is not as black and white as he thinks it is.  Psiren isn't really evil, she's just trying to help her city in an odd yet dishonest way. 

Filler, I think not.  To lazy viewers, maybe.

One, the so-called clue to the location to go next could easily have been given in any episode. Did Psiren have some unique knowledge on where the Stone is? NO, she was just a "Oh I heard about this stone thingee". This is just about the same "clue giver" role as any long-running quest kind of show has. Heck Pokemon has 10000+ of these roles going "Oh Ash, the super dooper beast you know of, its over there"... or even DragonBall's anonymous villagers "Hey kid, I've seen this ball before. Its in the hands of the overlord over the mountains." Anyone in FMA can be given Psiren's speech on where to go next and it won't matter.

The whole black and white grey thing has been splashed all over the whole entire 51 episodes with various characters. Frankly if you never notice this theme through the whole show, then you didn't pay enough attention. That then makes Psiren no special than any other person in the black and white thingee, plus the fact is other than episode 13 where Mustang mentions her name (and talks about her encounter with Ed to embarass Ed), she was never mentioned again. HEck, Ed doesn't even recall about Psiren or her behaviour in any of his deliberations later. So where did Psiren play an effect on him? Furtheremore Psiren has never had her goal as helping the city, it is the citizens who believed that her legend helped the city. Don't get distracted by her boobs like Ed did and get tricked like Al into believing her great she is. The effects of her action doesn't mean that is her intentions.

So in short, Psiren=nothing any other character can do and has no effect on the series + a setting totally out of sync with the series=filler.
BabyGurlAIKF113
whatever you guys are talking bout.... shoot
i don't know all i have to say it was a great episode
Full Metalloid Alchemist
First of all I wasn't insulting the show or episode I was just stating the fact. The episode had no greater significance in the storyline, do they ever have another encounter with Psiren that effects their motives or the plot of the show at all? Just because FMA has a few filler episodes its no big deal, just about every show with a plot needs filler, comedic relief etc. Do they ever return to the town in the episode? Its a place holder. Place Holder=Filler.
Kitoky
Edward doesn't have hormones like the Taisa does!

and Al don't fall for "sexy babes". Atleast...I don't think. His weakness is anyone who looks like a motherly figure - he remembers his mother.

I think it was funnier in the subbed because Psiren calls Edward "Chibi-chan".
Ailuro
But it does advance the plot. Without Psiren, the Elric Kyoudai would never have gotten the lead on Xenotime. And Xenotime also advances the plot. You get it? I'd say the only true filler is episode 37 and even that had meaning, it was to make the viewers happier during a very dramatic time in the series.
Final_Fantasy8989
QUOTE(BabyGurlAIKF113 @ Jan 17 2005, 07:55 AM)
whatever you guys are talking bout.... shoot
i don't know all i have to say it was a great episode

Yeah, i really liked the ending.
Jaberwok
Ok I'm a new fan of this series so I guess you could call me a virgin. biggrin.gif I enjoyed this last show even though I still feel a little lost at times. My question to the group however comes from the 15 second 'alternate universe' after the episode. Al was talking about he and his brother in another time and Ed was shown holding a black sword. Of course Elric, the black sword and sorcercy all go together in another story about an albino. Are they just getting my hopes up or is there some Eternal Champion crossover in the works?
Ailuro
You're thinking too much into it. It was just a play on words and doesn't really mean what you think it means. wink.gif
I'd explain it for you, but I don't wanna spoil anything. >_<
Jaberwok
Thanks for the info. I'll just shut up and enjoy the series then. biggrin.gif
Slash
I didn't think the episode was filler, and even if it were, it was very entertaining. smile.gif It was HILARIOUS when the buildings kept getting demolished. laugh.gif The next episode looks awesome (can't wait for 13 though). I wonder how the other two are Elrics?? huh.gif Anyways, a lot of people have trans circles on items or tattoos. I know Envy and Lust have tattoos but where is Gluttony's? Maybe on the tongue?

Please hide spoilers if there are any smile.gif
Ailuro
Once again, people are thinking too far into it, Edward and Alphonse are the only Elrics in the show.. well.. besides their mom and dad. Think, how else would the other two be "Elrics"?

Gah, I keep wanting to explain it. x_X
ἀρχή
It's hard to not explain things, but I enjoy reading the 'theories'. What makes me happy about it is that people are actually using their brains when they watch the show smile.gif
Slashrose1010
I use my brain. maybe they aren't blood related, just by marrital ( I have thought of that before)... Maybe they trained under the same master.... How about, they were adopted by Hoenheim (can't spell) or Hoenheim tought them alchemy. Maybe they can use alchemy without trans circles, like the Elrics (someone said it was genetic or heredotery before) Are any of these right? (you can put it as a spoiler so others don't have to read if they don't want to know the answer) smile.gif thanks for listening to me jabber on.
ἀρχή
I think it would be better for you to wait and see.

It's funny since I didn't watch it with these previews and I secluded myself for a weekend to watch all the episodes. I can't imagine the torture you all must feel waiting for the next episode tongue.gif.
Slashrose1010
^Arche: you got that right... I got ants in my pants. I want to see 13 badly too. I heard Roy explains how even if the trans circle is an item or tattooo you still need to give something up (the air around you, the moisture from your breath, just something) This sounds very intersting.
Ailuro
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 17 2005, 04:20 PM)
I think it would be better for you to wait and see.

It's funny since I didn't watch it with these previews and I secluded myself for a weekend to watch all the episodes. I can't imagine the torture you all must feel waiting for the next episode tongue.gif.

Doesn't it just give you a great feeling inside watching everyone guess? biggrin.gif
Slashrose1010
^Did you guys download the episodes or what? (I wish I had cable/DSL to do that sad.gif)
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Jan 17 2005, 07:27 PM)
Doesn't it just give you a great feeling inside watching everyone guess?  biggrin.gif

Aren't we so sadistic tongue.gif

I don't think the cliff hangers have really even hit yet. There were so many cliff hangers in this series that I would have died if I had to wait once a week for an episode. I had to know what happened next.
Ailuro
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 17 2005, 05:36 PM)
Aren't we so sadistic tongue.gif

I don't think the cliff hangers have really even hit yet. There were so many cliff hangers in this series that I would have died if I had to wait once a week for an episode. I had to know what happened next.

Ugh, I hated it when I had to wait. And it was when the cliffhangers were the most fatal. x__X;
*has been a fan since way back*
ἀρχή
Yes, I'm glad I picked up a bit after the need to wait for anything tongue.gif.
QUOTE (Ailuro @ Jan 17 2005, 10:53 AM)
But it does advance the plot. Without Psiren, the Elric Kyoudai would never have gotten the lead on Xenotime. And Xenotime also advances the plot. You get it? I'd say the only true filler is episode 37 and even that had meaning, it was to make the viewers happier during a very dramatic time in the series.

Note: that clue could have been given by just about anybody. Psiren had no special knowledge on Xenotime. She blurted it out like any commoner could on any anime series. In fact that whole line is the only thing that is even related to the next episode or storyline. In fact, if the Xenotime clue was given by a Lior citizen when Ed was leaving the city and this Psiren episode gets chopped, no one would have noticed anything missing. In fact since Xenotime is not even given a location on the FMA map, the fact is the producers could have simply let Ed stop over in Xenotime as a mid-way stop and stumble upon the mystery as well.

Don't read the spoiler if you don't want to know some stuff of the next episodes.
Stop over for one or two hours, wander around town, stumble upon the girl at the mine, rescue her, go in the party and proclaim themselves as the Elrics, get thrown out. Decide to stay the whole day to explore the mystery of the 'Elrics'. Which is what the Xenotime arc is in a way.
That is what classifies this Psiren episode as a filler, simply it contributed nothing significant to the FMA storyline.

TheVileOne
Kind of like unregistered guests contributing nothing significant as well.

Filler is called filler usually not just because it doesn't contribute or add anything to the story, but its boring, unentertaining, and there's no plot progression. And nothing could be further than that for one episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. Its like calling the Stand Alone episodes of Ghost In The Shell filler, which I assure you they are not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.