Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ed's limbs in Episode 51
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
Tellus
Ed's Missing Arm And Leg In Episode 51

in the last episode.... al gave ed his body back completely right?? BUt why when Ed is in ''our world'' he got a robot arm???
ἀρχή
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('c0c86b4dfd859024c13be0322deb6cb5')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="c0c86b4dfd859024c13be0322deb6cb5" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->When Ed went through the gate the last time, he had to take his body with him. Before he was able to take over the body of his doppleganger in the 'real world'. Since his doppleganger is dead in the 'real world' he had to take his own body with him<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

hope that helps. I'm sure others here can be more specific if you need that, but that's what I think is the case.
Kitoky
*nods in agreement*

It's something you have think hard about. smile.gif
Victory_to_Battle
eh... still confused... guess you couldn't put that in simpler terms could you?
Omakase Shimasu
I thought it was because he had to sacrifice his arm again for bringing back both Al's body and soul. biggrin.gif;

@VtB: arche's saying...
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('303bd0dff3096211d4d3fd71cd105cfd')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="303bd0dff3096211d4d3fd71cd105cfd" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END--> During Edward's first time through the Gate he entered the body of his dopelganger. The second time he didn't. Instead he went through the Gate, body and all.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

EDIT: btw, I added spoiler-tags in the topic description.
Phoenix_alchemist
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('fd9b41754bc702c7c9d587647edc8f3c')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="fd9b41754bc702c7c9d587647edc8f3c" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->Can bodies go through the gate? I thought only souls were able to travel between the worlds using that gate. Or am I missing something?<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->
Elderberry
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('80168afbc91c355beed3c468455f8c81')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="80168afbc91c355beed3c468455f8c81" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->Well, since supposedly everyone has someone that looks exactly like themselves across the gate, if they get forced into the gate their soul jumps into that other body.
However, Ed ended up getting killed in the other body, and got sent back to the gate, where his soul returned to his original body. But then, when he got sent to the gate again, the Ed on the other side of the gate was already dead, so he got sent over in his own body...
...Apparently he lost the arm and leg again as a price for reviving Al's body (Ed didn't have a Philosopher's Stone, so he was supposed to sacrifice his entire body to bring Al back, but Al's memories of the past 4 years went into the cost of the transmutation, or so they seem to have explained...
(It's all kind of confusing- You should try rewatching the last few episodes, and listen to what the characters say more carefully... happy.gif)
<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->
Kitoky
Woah that does make sense...

*thinks*
AliCat
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('2982d484587068fc5b7f1535d7c5aa6a')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="2982d484587068fc5b7f1535d7c5aa6a" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->So...even if Ed got back to his world in the movie, he'd still be sans his arm and leg, right?<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->
Le Monkey
QUOTE (AliCat @ Jan 13 2005, 08:05 PM)
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('9d1b062eba2b0423143bce598968cd37')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="9d1b062eba2b0423143bce598968cd37" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->So...even if Ed got back to his world in the movie, he'd still be sans his arm and leg, right?<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

yeah , i think so.???
Guest_Tellus
BUt when he in our world he got a robot arm.. and in that time so advanced technology hasnt been made... Al gave him his whole body back and then ed sacrifises himself to get Al back.... ...So where did Ed get that robot arm that worked?
Phoenix_alchemist
I think he came through the gate without an arm so either Hohenheim or Ed himself had to build a new arm.
ἀρχή
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('65b1c13af32245edc2aa05b192f05b54')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="65b1c13af32245edc2aa05b192f05b54" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->When he went through the gate in the final episode, he brought his mechanical arm with him. He'll now have to maintain it in the other world.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

I think that's what's being questioned right now. If not, just ignore me.
jessin
QUOTE (arche @ Jan 15 2005, 03:04 PM)
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('539639910873df852dd3686150bbf58a')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="539639910873df852dd3686150bbf58a" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->When he went through the gate in the final episode, he brought his mechanical arm with him. He'll now have to maintain it in the other world.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('6835643d28df330f4c2bf32181189b73')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="6835643d28df330f4c2bf32181189b73" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->But will the arm work in the other world? That's the world without magic (aka our world) and I know for a fact we don't have automail.....besides, he didn't use that arm when we saw him in Munich.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->
ἀρχή
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('901e5d37ee102698ffee5e0171ef9e67')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="901e5d37ee102698ffee5e0171ef9e67" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->neither world has magic. Alchemy is based on science technically. Automail is also just mechanical, so there's no reason for it not to work. It's just regular nuts and bolts put together.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->
jessin
QUOTE (arche @ Jan 15 2005, 03:27 PM)
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('eb0975be695e4eff4335d2370c759619')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="eb0975be695e4eff4335d2370c759619" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->neither world has magic. Alchemy is based on science technically. Automail is also just mechanical, so there's no reason for it not to work. It's just regular nuts and bolts put together.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

Hmmm....I suppose so. It just looked like his arm didn't work. Maybe it was broken and there's no way to fix it.
AliCat
QUOTE (jessin @ Jan 15 2005, 03:35 PM)
Hmmm....I suppose so. It just looked like his arm didn't work. Maybe it was broken and there's no way to fix it.

<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('ba6b21076aa11286e2fe679292dd1091')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="ba6b21076aa11286e2fe679292dd1091" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->Maybe it was gone BECAUSE we don't have automail. Does the gate play tricks like that? His automail arm and leg vanished because automail doesn't exist here. It's a possibility I guess. Or, he's trying to be conspicuous. Wooden limbs wouldn't garner as much attention as someone with fully functioning mechanical limbs.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->
phoenix dying
In the last epsiode ed arm hangs limp when he is packing his case. But on the train he is holding the paper with it, WTF!?!
QUOTE(phoenix alchemist @ Jan 15 2005, 06:43 PM)
In the last epsiode ed arm hangs limp when he is packing his case. But on the tral hin he is holding the paper with it, WTF!?!

Maybe BONES decided to mess around with our brains first, and the arm was actually working throughout the time until he got on the train. tongue.gif And why it would work, is probably that it *is* possible for automail to work in 'our world', but that it just hasn't been created at that time. We do have mechanical arms now, although I'm not sure if any have been fitted on people. blink.gif
Yukina_Raven
QUOTE(phoenix alchemist @ Jan 15 2005, 06:43 PM)
In the last epsiode ed arm hangs limp when he is packing his case. But on the train he is holding the paper with it, WTF!?!

Excatly what I was asking when I saw that. And to be honest, I still don't understand that. Methinks we never will. ^^;

Unless the movie explains something, which I doubt it will.

Episode 37 - I laughed so hard I cried. laugh.gif
this is weird! sumbody find the right answer plz!
vegita625
Maybe he hides the fact he can move a non-biological arm, so when it's uncovered, he, by habit, doesn't use it, BUT since he has gloves and long sleeves on, he's able to act like it's a normal arm in public. Just a guess, but he prolly let's it hang limp while it's exposed out of habit. This is 1921 or so that we're talking about, did they have that kinda technology at the time?
armagedon46
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Jan 20 2005, 01:28 PM)
Maybe he hides the fact he can move a non-biological arm, so when it's uncovered, he, by habit, doesn't use it, BUT since he has gloves and long sleeves on, he's able to act like it's a normal arm in public.  Just a guess, but he prolly let's it hang limp while it's exposed out of habit.  This is 1921 or so that we're talking about, did they have that kinda technology at the time?

Best idea I have heard so far. But in this time they didn't have eve technology for bendable prosthetic arms. They have things that strap around your body but nothing that connects to the *socket*, they don't even have mechanical arms now adays.
In Bones version of the universe for our world, advanced cybernatics and neurology was available to us in 1921 or... they simply messed up.
brigadier mustang
am i the onli one that has a headache right now trying to reason out what happened ph34r.gif
He does hold the paper up with it, and he reaches it up to the sky at the end, I think vegita625 is the most accurate so far. As for the whole "why does he have it in the first place" part, *deep breath*

[Spoiler] When he originally goes through the gate he leaves his original body in the gate and enters his "other body". His other body then dies and enters the gate, throwing his soul back into the gate into his original body. When Al restores his body he switches Ed's with the one in the gate. When Ed brings back Al he goes through the gate, grabbing his original, auto-mail body and leaving, or sacrificing his other world, complete body. [/Spoiler]

or so I have come to believe.

The only way to watch an anime is all the way through without sleeping.
AliCat
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 24 2005, 09:47 AM)
By the time you finish doing that, you'll believe anything you see and won't really have any doubts about it's versimilitude tongue.gif
[snapback]96429[/snapback]

You mean...there really isn't another world and a gate and all that stuff? And here I had my hopes up. *blinks away sleep* lol laugh.gif
Yeah but I did it twice, once with sleep, once without. Only problem is you absorb too much and become mentally addicted and you can't stop thinking about FMA for the next 2 weeks. happy.gif

I'm about to register, I can't right now cuz I'm at skewl.
Queen of the dammed
More like it's been in my system for 4 months already, and it's not about to go away... laugh.gif
Daveman!
That 2 weeks is something of a minimum, unfortunately. sad.gif
Forock
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('6835643d28df330f4c2bf32181189b73')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="6835643d28df330f4c2bf32181189b73" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->But will the arm work in the other world? That's the world without magic (aka our world) and I know for a fact we don't have automail.....besides, he didn't use that arm when we saw him in Munich.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

[/quote]

that is a mechanical arm anyway, and so it should work properly in the 'real' world. The weird thing is what they said 'people concentrates more on technology in the real world', but actually this arm is way more advanced than nowaday's technology... and do you remember those tanks and big guns in the alchemist world? they look pretty much like nowadays...

Why does he still got the arm? A dilberate mistake probably...maybe an implication that 'the journey continues'...
Daveman!
I'm assuming anyone reading this has already been spoiled so...

His arm works! He holds the paper up with it, and he reaches it up to the sky at the end. I think vegita625 has it right.

My Current Ending Theory (As you can never be sure of true meaning with a sub):
1.)He has his auto-mail body because when he originally goes through the gate he leaves his original body in the gate and enters his "other-world body".
2.)He then dies and his soul goes back into the gate, into his original body.
3.)When Al restores Ed he switches Ed's auto-mail body with the one in the gate and in order to pull the body and soul through the gate he sacrifices the stone and therefore himself (him being the stone and all).
4.)When Ed brings back Al, he sacrifices his other-world, complete body, the memory of their travels, and their bond/love as brothers (as they are seperated).
5.)As Ed's body and soul enter the gate, Ed's soul goes into his original auto-mail body so that he exits in our world instead of entering "The Truth"/Heaven/Nirvana/Wtfever. (You know, the nifty gold glowy place where Ed grabs Al's soul from in the first few episodes)

I should just draw a little diagram or something.
Forock
Wow! .....but didn't Ed get his whole body back because the stuffs in the door grabbed his arm and leg back from that little boy (forgot his name ^^")? Or it might be possible that the form of Ed's soul is based on his memories- and as he's had this auto-mail body for such a long time, his soul doesn't recognise the original limbs.

And...do you think it is possible that the mechanical arm and leg are made by his father when he got to the real world? He's been living for 400 years and it wouldn't be surprising that if he has actually learnt it out of interest. ^^"

It is just what I think anyway
Daveman!
Yeah, and in the world of anime anything can be redefined at any moment for any reason. Case in point: flaming anger faces.

Also: Al loses his memories becuase in order to regain what he lost he must give up what he gained (Hohenhiem says this to him, I think I was in the bathroom the first time I watched it), so he had to give up the 4 years he was in the armor.

He may have gained a life with his brother in exhcange for his body, so that may be part of the whole seperation business.

Ed might have regained his leg going through the gate, but the arm is still part of the price he payed and such, since Al is still alive. Hohenhiem said that his body went through the gate and therefore he could not perform alchemy, so the same thing may have happened to Ed, except he lost his arm like he did in the first place.

Stupid thinking is making my face hurt.
Forock
a-ha, in my opinion 'flaming anger faces' means comic relief- which is common in a lot of animes- and it is different from the science that it is talking about, further more characters don't use these kinda 'comical moves' in essential bit, or else it would be extremely confusing. ^^"
Even though there are laws of anime, a good anime (if talking about plot-wise) still follow the laws they set down, i.e. if they say earlier that you cannot fly without valia crystal gem, then you cannot. That said, FMA violates its own laws it sets down quite a bit, especially in the later parts where it deviates a lot from the manga. Hence its plot is bad.
Forock
FMA violates its own law? the part that you said deviating from the manga is it when people start to use the 'fake' philosopher stone and create things regardless to the law?
It is true that it has to maintain consistancy throughout the whole anime, but this is just another point that it is getting at- towards the end it said that 'the world isn't equal, and sometimes you can get something without having to exchange' This is what the philosopher stone is indicating, and it is an extend from the original 'flawed' law of alchemy
Things like he needs to clap to do alchemy but later he don't need to clap to do it? Things like he can kick his brother into water without a single bit of care but later turns all so "Al, Al, don't step near the water" later? Things like the Sins put the order to kill off the Elrics if they're in the way but Al is so conveniently let off by Pride and Lust? The many inconsistent ways in killing off the Sins and the handling of their paralysis in vicinity of thier body parts for all 4 of them. Also if the whole exchange in alchemy need not be equal, then why must Al's memories be taken away at the end? Doesn't an uneven exchange(if exchange is even needed) means that one can gain or lose more? So why can't Al gain more or be even worse? Hoenheim of the future looks like the first Hohenheim(if we believe Envy's face)? These are just a few examples of their bad writing. Nobody's talking about their deviating from the manga. dry.gif
Chiyo
Wow there is alot of thinking going on here. I was confused about the arm and leg swap that goes on, but alot of what has been said here makes sense. So, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Dark State
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 29 2005, 04:59 AM)
Things like he needs to clap to do alchemy but later he don't need to clap to do it? Things like he can kick his brother into water without a single bit of care but later turns all so "Al, Al, don't step near the water" later? Things like the Sins put the order to kill off the Elrics if they're in the way but Al is so conveniently let off by Pride and Lust? The many inconsistent ways in killing off the Sins and the handling of their paralysis in vicinity of thier body parts for all 4 of them. Also if the whole exchange in alchemy need not be equal, then why must Al's memories be taken away at the end? Doesn't an uneven exchange(if exchange is even needed) means that one can gain or lose more? So why can't Al gain more or be even worse? Hoenheim of the future looks like the first Hohenheim(if we believe Envy's face)? These are just a few examples of their bad writing. Nobody's talking about their deviating from the manga. dry.gif
[snapback]100891[/snapback]

Alright, I'm going to answer some of the answers which I can

clap to do alchemy: During the progression of the anime Ed grows and learns, he's a dynamic character. So the clap is either preference or just something that he overcomes through the course of the series. Also, if you notice, Ed doesn't clap when he's desperate. So desperation could be a factor to overcome the clap.

Kicking Al into the water: When did he kick Al into the water?

Al's memories: Al uses the philosopher's stone to bring Ed back alive. However, Ed uses equal trade to bring Al to life in his old body. The memories are just one of the sacrifices needed to be made.

Honeheim's looks: Yeah, I noticed that too. That is a definite flaw in the anime.

The anime may not be perfect, but how many animes of this size are? I don't get what the point of ripping on it is....it's a great anime, and portrays its messages well. You're looking too deeply into it tongue.gif
bryantq
Hoenheim's ageless appearance is most likely to due to tampering with his body via alchemy. Remember how he was talking to dante about how the body was deteriorating just like his...
Dark State
QUOTE(bryantq @ Jan 30 2005, 10:18 PM)
Hoenheim's ageless appearance is most likely to due to tampering with his body via alchemy. Remember how he was talking to dante about how the body was deteriorating just like his...
[snapback]102969[/snapback]

Wasn't their longetivity only caused by swapping bodies via the philosopher's stone? Their bodies would deteriorate because the body was wearing down. The same honeheim was probably just a mistake, or the flashback was there for us to see who honehiem and dante were.
Tobu Ishi
QUOTE (arche @ Jan 15 2005, 02:04 PM)
<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('65b1c13af32245edc2aa05b192f05b54')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="65b1c13af32245edc2aa05b192f05b54" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->When he went through the gate in the final episode, he brought his mechanical arm with him. He'll now have to maintain it in the other world.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

Actually, if you look very closely, you can see that Ed does not have his automail arm. He has a very crude prosthesis. It dangles loosely at his side while he's packing his clothing, and he doesn't gesture or hold things with it. On the train, it holds one side of his map, but if you look closely he's propped it against the armrest and wall of the train and the fingers don't grip the paper in a natural fashion (they look like they've been pressed into place around it like a clothespin). Likewise, when he reaches for the sky, he bumps the arm awkwardly up onto the windowsill instead of lifting it completely, and it moves very stiffly. The fade into his old automail arm is his imagination.

Also, when he's walking down the street, if you look carefully, he's limping noticably.

My theory? Ed's automail vanished when Al restored his body. He was dumped into the other world without it or his limbs, after they were given up for Al's restoration. Since the prosthesis has some rudimentary movement and the jointed hand bears a resemblence to his automail's hand, I'm guessing he described what he knew of automail to an artisan in Europe and they did their best, but it's probably worked by straps and remaining muscle movement, like modern prostheses in our world today. Likewise, he probably has a peg leg or simple prosthesis in place of his leg (hence the limp).
Actually if you compare his automail drawing in munich with the one he 'made' himself in the fight against wrath & sloth, they are one and the same.

And there's no such advanced jointed limb in 1930's. The limbs they have then are movable pieces with claws/forceps that specialise very well in one kind of function or are carved immobile pieces of wood that looks in shape like real limbs but texture is wood.

So that's his automail from the FMA world, makes me wonder how people then can easily just let it go. Scientists should be clamouring to get a close look at such advanced design. dry.gif
hidden_death
o.0 okay i think i see now
About Ed clapping and not clapping - that's not a deviation from the manga at all. In the manga Ed also learns to perform alchemy without joining hands - he learns the trick from Scar. And when he was desperate he used Scar's "one-arm" alchemy without joining the hands or anything.
Ed's getting better. He may not always perform that one-hand thing easily, thus ordinarily he joins hands. But he definetely can do it.
Queen of the dammed
Actualy, Ed clapped first before he disintergrated stuff... he was just reminded how Scar deconstucted elements but did not reconstruct them (during the fight with number 48), unlike other alchemists... and I belive the tatto on Scar's arm is some sort of complex array, so it's not one-arm either....
AA battery
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 29 2005, 02:59 AM)
[snapback]100891[/snapback]

*high 5 you* I totally agree with you... BONES had made quite a few plot holes that made the anime itself much inferior to manga.

Someone asked when Al got kicked into water? Go rewatch episode 3, when Ed was sparing with Al after he got his automails.
I have rewatched episode 3 for quite a few times (cuz it's one of those that shows them as kids ^^) and yea, when watching the third time (after I have seen episode 43 or sth like that) I was going "WT*" too... Ed himself kicked Al down to the water (I can see why BONES put this in... somewhere in manga, I believe, was the chapter where Al was questioning Ed about whether or not his soul was real, and then I think, in their discussion on the hospital roof, Al said "and you threw me into water!" so this is probably why BONES threw Al into water there... but totally, bad timing, bad point to put it there) and after Al turned into the stone Ed was all freaked out when he knocked Al into water by accident! like omg, this point really... sucks.

as for the ending... well, they just HAD to wrap it up like that so that they can make a movie like decades (well, it does feel like decades...) later to keep us in suspense, keep us addicted to FMA (DARN IT I GOT TOO ADDICT TO IT NOW ;-; ) so that we will keep on buying all the fancy (and sadly, lovely~) FMA merchandise because we are all waiting for the FMA movie therefore will think of FMA occasionally and well you get the point x.x

as for how Ed destroy that armor brothers in the 5th labortory (forgot their name...), he DID clap.... just not like a LOUD CLAP, but all he needed was to hold his hands together and there he made his circle. (however, for this part I checked with manga instead of anime because I was too lazy to dig out my DVD... ^^; sucks with 40G hard drive x.x)

Actually, for the automail... I believe that Hohenheim and Ed crafted it after Ed went through the gate... I think it's possible for those two (and Hohenheim lived for that long... also, Ed saw how WInry make it for quite a few times he gotta remember something)

Attached picture:
1) Episode 3, where Al OBVIOUSLY got kicked into water by Ed.. BONES, you are SO DEAD.
2) Chapter 15 P17, read the bottom right... I believe that's the reasoning for why BONES throw in that scene in Episode 3

Manga >>>>> Anime _
Chiyo
Aww rejected...I wonder why that is?

Sorry, its Ed/Win within me. I did also look at the water incident and got confused. Slight slip up there.
While putting back AL and trying to get him back to his world he lost his right arm and left leg in doing so. Hi mind had to find escape so he went to the other side. Atleast that's what I believe. I think it will work since automail is different from alchemy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.