Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Employment Status
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Zio
I am currently umemployed. I really need to find a job that suits my skills. Eitehr one that involves reading, playing games or being a complete cynical and sarcastic man with a odd sense of humor.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Zio @ Jan 12 2005, 01:44 PM)
I am currently umemployed. I really need to find a job that suits my skills. Eitehr one that involves reading, playing games or being a complete cynical and sarcastic man with a odd sense of humor.

I can't understand why those skills are so undervalued in the market these days. Especially the cynical and sacastic man with an odd sense of humor. I've been trying to sell that in my last few interviews, but they just say it's not needed. I think that the business world is really going down hill because of that.
Zio
I know! It's like they are trying to force to be Stand Up Comics or something! Maybe at my next interview, I should say that I am the perfect spineless employee and if they need someone to abuse legally, I'm their man.

I bet they would put me in a Marketing cubicle.
ἀρχή
You need to think back to your 1-12 education experience. That was meant to teach you proper corporate employee techniques. It was designed to teach you to be somewhere you don't want to be, do something you don't like and be nice to people you don't like. For those of us who don't do well in those environments, we are considered a lost cause sad.gif.

So, those of you in school now: remember that your school is teaching you to be a good, spinless employee without any capacity for independant thought.
blueices
For those of us who don't do well in those environments, we are considered a lost cause .

hmm, looking back on those days...I guess there's no hope for me... laugh.gif

work: Currently a student
In highschool I was a coat check (a surprisingly efficient source of cash)
Currently: Working at my university's SIPA admissions office...(workstudy dry.gif )
All in all, an efficient way to find out what's desirable in graduate school applications
But also yes, makes me realize I don't want to be that ideal spineless employee
le sigh
Jacen
Im 15, so I have a job at a grocery store (shop rite if anyone knows of it). I was just bagging until recently, next week I will most likely become a cashier.

Shop rite sucks dont ever work there.
ἀρχή
Cashier is where you make the real money smile.gif
Life to the Dead
i dont really have a full-time job, but i babysit sometimes (i cant legally get a job)
love_me_destroyer
I'm gonna start working at a store that sells anime and manga! woo hoo!
saiyanprince
you will never get a check then! You could tell them that you want manga/anime for work right? Equivalent trade?
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 12 2005, 12:14 PM)
So, those of you in school now: remember that your school is teaching you to be a good, spinless employee without any capacity for independant thought.

That's how the administrators see it.

Lucky for me, my teachers are rebels.
Quistis88
Sorry to burst in, but there is already an existing thread, so please post there instead. smile.gif

Employment Status

I should close this thread, I guess. Maybe later . . .
GuestHole
Maybe merge?
Quistis88
I need to find out how to do that first, which I am currently doing. tongue.gif

Yes, I'm stupid . . .
mei_tenshi
Gee, Quis, there goes my self-esteem! XP
Quistis88
Haha. Anyways, I figured it out now. Made a mistake, but fixed it. biggrin.gif
ἀρχή
I'll revive this topic from the depths of the second page with a note about a previous occupation I had.

Before I got into administration, I was a case worker for severly low income people with HIV. I specialized as a housing advocate, which meant that I'd help people negotiate housing law and housing assistance issues. I used to go into the special housing court every once and a while and help clients with mediation issues.

I'm not a lawyer, so I couldn't go before a judge, but I could help in the mediation process, which is when they try to work things out just before going to the judge. I remember having a lawyer try to bring up "cause" for termination of a lease during a "non-payment" termination mediation. I successfully shut the lawyer down by telling him to file a notice to quit for cause and we'll deal with that when it takes effect. We are only concerned with payment issues now and we have the payments.

Felt good to beat a lawyer here and there.
Nasser
Arche how old are you....?
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Nasser @ Jan 18 2005, 06:32 PM)
Arche how old are you....?

I'm 13

Just kidding

I'm 30 - an old guy around here.
Full Metalloid Alchemist
Jobless and not enjoying it, I want, NO I need a job because without a job I have no money, and without money well theres no anything.
Zarpia
I work as a baby siter, i get pay to watch a 4 month old baby sleep all day, cool.
edsgirl
I currently route parts for NCR(National Cash Register) via UPS. When some Walmart in the middle of nowhere has a problem with a cash register, it is my job to get them whatever part they need asap. Which is a pain in the ass! You woldn't believe some of the places I have to fly into dry.gif There is literally a Walmart in every tiny corner of America.
mei_tenshi
True. There's one smack-dab in the middle of my corner and it frightens me...*shivers*....It's too big, too much like a warehouse without the free samples of Costco....too easy to get lost in...>.<

I am still unemployed, unless you count for the chores around the house...well, not even that...Just bumming in through my school years! XP
Raven
Well, no... I don't have a job. I'm 17, still in school, and I get paid for learning! laugh.gif It's called the EMA (Education Maintence Allowance)! I get £30 a week if I attend all my lessons, and a £100 bonus if I do really well! biggrin.gif You can only claim an EMA if you:
A) live in England or Wales
cool.gif you or your parents/gardians have below a certain wage a month
C) decide to stay on the whole year

blink.gif I wonder if cause a wave of young immigrants into Britain, all wanting to come to school and get money for learning. blink.gif ph34r.gif
RogueAlchemist
Currently working as a server in a restaurant, but only one weekend a month while I'm at school. Any more days, and I wouldn't be able to pass my classes or go to my horse shows!
Le Monkey
I dont have a job....
I had one but I gave it up because I couldnt keep up with school work...
bryantq
Lets see...

While Im currently a student at the University of Arizona, i also work as a Sr. Web Developer and Graphic Designer for a marketing firm in Phoenix. I also have a part time job as a Web Developer for the Office of Conitnuing Education and Academic Outreach here with the University, as well as run my own business, PhoenixNetworks.

wink.gif sounds like a lot, but isnt much work -- at least im paid well smile.gif hehe.
Slashrose1010
I am high school student at Sun Valley high. I am the leader of the chess club and creator of the D&D club. (JK) I will be looking for an actual job next summer. Hopefully something that pays alright dry.gif any suggestions?
shogunskey
im a student but om still employed at my parents diner/fruit market

it a fun job for now anyway
Shaman_Girl88
I don't have a job. I want one, but my mother won't let me get on. I want some extra money so I can go buy more anime DVDs.
Elderberry
I don't have a job, but I suppose I'll find one over the summer...sleep.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(bryantq @ Feb 10 2005, 07:43 PM)
Lets see...

While Im currently a student at the University of Arizona, i also work as a Sr. Web Developer and Graphic Designer for a marketing firm in Phoenix. I also have a part time job as a Web Developer for the Office of Conitnuing Education and Academic Outreach here with the University, as well as run my own business, PhoenixNetworks.

wink.gif sounds like a lot, but isnt much work -- at least im paid well smile.gif hehe.
[snapback]110828[/snapback]

i'm tired of this, bryantq *rolleyes*
Steel Alchemist
I am a straight A student. I hope to pursue a career in Biology. I do not have a job however.
Elderberry
Haha...I still don't have a job...laugh.gif||
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Jun 10 2005, 05:55 PM)
Haha...I still don't have a job...laugh.gif||

ohmy.gif wha... I thought I was the only one laugh.gif You live in Jersey? That is fairly close blink.gif
Celestial Shadow
Since I iz 16 and get no allowance I went out and found a desperate corporation (JCpenneys') and tricked them into hiring me. Now I will be able to buy anything I want...Mwhahahaha... (Please excuse any insanity, boredom did it...)
Slashrose1010
I suppoese I could be a forum gigolo... Any starters? biggrin.gif

I should make easy cash by making a children's TCG or write children's stories with sexual innuedndos... those are usually good sellers
Celestial Shadow
._. I will behead you if you do anything in your new job that I dislike...
Zarpia
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jun 10 2005, 08:57 PM)

I should make easy cash by making a children's TCG or write children's stories with sexual innuedndos... those are usually good sellers
[snapback]189304[/snapback]

You will be rich in no time
Quistis88
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jun 10 2005, 07:57 PM)

No comment. And yet "no comment" is a comment. Ahh, paradoxes.

I would like to get a second part-time job in addition to the crazy teaching one that I already have. I'd like to work in a bookstore. biggrin.gif But with the way my next year's schedule is looking, I probably might not have time. We'll see, I suppose.
AlphonseRules
I work at a grocery store but I'll be quiting soon so I have some time to relax over the summer. Sweet freedom! laugh.gif
Koori
After 15 years of working Ö ten of those as a single mom, Iím now able to be a stay home mommy with my daughter born in April and soon to be 12 year old son. Believe it or not, that has always been my dream. Canít help it my Mom was awesome raising my five siblings and me; I wanted to do the same.

My previous work experience I spent 10 years working in restaurant business when I lost that job due to child care problems (being a single mom can do that) I decided to put all my self taught computer knowledge to use and got into office work. Continued that once I moved out to California and got married, my last job was the BEST, I worked for a small family owned Tai-Chi video company. They had two offices, ours and one in Australia. I was the only employee for the US other then the boss lady, and could make my own hours pretty much. I really liked that job ... the hours and boss was the greatest, when the boss went back to China for a family reunion she brought gifts back for both of my kids (and me). But now that I am a stay home mom Ö maybe Iíll work on that novel of mine.
DarkFireDemon
I don't have a job,I'm still going to school.
~Edward~Elric~Fan~
I work in Remax Suburban. I sell houses, and am a secretary happy.gif. I get paid a lot, so even if there is a lot of work to do I am willing to do it for the money tongue.gif.
Carnal Malefactor
You sell houses at 16?

\How'd you swing that?
Kenji
and bought a $50k Audi at 16... O.O
~Edward~Elric~Fan~
Abstruse Eulogy: Well my dad is co-president there. So they let me, anyways I am quite smart biggrin.gif. I like the selling houses part better than being a secretary. Its more interesting, and fun tongue.gif.

Kenji: Yeah I never thought I could do that laugh.gif.
Molecular Alchemist
I'm a clinical lab tech and this time, i work on human specimens happy.gif I'm also an adjunct professor for Human Anatomy and Physiology, and i WAS a security guard...until last weekend smile.gif and a grad student...which is a full time job in itself, if you ask me
~Edward~Elric~Fan~
Wow blink.gif. You seem like the busiest worker in here tongue.gif.
Chiyo
I'm about to leave student life and become officially unemployed....oh the joy. Applying at places anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.