Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dvd Extras For Volume 1: The Curse
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
TheVileOne
<Moving from FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sun-forum where all DVD related threads are being collected currently. 02/21/07 ~Tombow.>

From the official Funimation FMA website, DVD extras for Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 1: The Curse DVD due out on February 8th:

-textless songs
-production art
-Japanese commercials
-image gallery
-trailers

Pretty standard stuff for an anime release. I wish they would've put something like interviews with the English voice cast or something.

Remember the volume 1 DVD starter set also includes:

http://www.fullmetalalchemist.com/blog/trioforuse.jpg
-volume 1 DVD
-metal FMA box for the first five DVD volumes
-premium collector's booklet
-Fullmetal Alchemist OST
Phoenix_alchemist
Wow, that box looks pretty nice, and it comes with the soundtrack I wanted.

Any word on the cost?
TheVileOne
I think most places are selling it for $34.99.
Phoenix_alchemist
Is that most places as in Best Buy or Wal-Mart or places like suncoast or FYE?

And wow $34.99 is pretty good for a DVD, a nice shiny metal container and a soundtrack.
TheVileOne
That's probably most places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Discount Anime DVD, etc.

Though I believe Best Buy will have it for $33.99.
Kirara
Ah those extras are pretty disappointing. But the box set and soundtack do look really nice. I can't wait smile.gif.
DarkWater Alchemist
woo, I like the box, and it's cool to get the soundtrack too... the only problem for me would be the postage costs :'(
Peachilicious
The box looks really nice, and I want that CD. wink.gif I wonder is that the actual Japan released soundtrack, or a domestic version...? huh.gif
TheVileOne
Well the soundtrack would be the same either way. It would be exactly the same as the OST in Japan. Plus I believe Funimation has a US distribution deal with Tofu records who I believe released the soundtrack in Japan...or something.
angieness
told you guys it was a metal tin that came with the soundtrack! XD It's totally worth the money, I mean if you bought the DVD alone which is $19.99-29.99 depending on where you go and then bought the soundtrack alone which a lot of places like to sell from $15.99-18.99 that would be anywhere from 36-48 if you bought them seperatley so you're essentially getting the tin and the 20 page colored book for free. I believe there's going to be 3 seperate metal tins, each that come out with certain volumes. Plus isn't it like 4 episodes a disc or so? We're totally lucky! I feel pretty bad for Gantz fans because the studio who did it are making ADV only put 2 episodes a disc X_o

At work I got release dates for volumes 2-4, I'll write them down when I go in today and let you guys know
TheVileOne
angieness is right. Its a great time to be an American FMA fan right now smile.gif . 4 episdoes a disc is pretty generous. 5 would be awesome though biggrin.gif .
miss_neko
does anyone know whats in the premium collector's booklet?
*~Oashisu*~
Heh, I read in an Anime magazine that its to come out on Feb. *, and with the tin an CD its $49.98... But you never know, coul be wrong.
Full Metalloid Alchemist
Whoa, that looks pretty sweet and the price aint to shabby? But will the tin box hold just this DVD or will it ba able hold the entire series? Also how many dvds are there in all?
TheVileOne
The tin box will be able to hold 5 DVD volumes. So its for the first 5 volumes on DVD.

And seriously guys, bow down to Funimation!
Phoenix_alchemist
*Takes a bow*

Do you know how many discs they are planning to release? If they keep up the 4 episodes per disc that will take 13 DVD's. Or will they be releasing 5eps/disc or 3eps/disc?
TheVileOne
13 volumes total from what I understand.
From the pictures, it can be seen that the booklet is the "Alchemist to the Backbone" found in the R2 DVD packages.

"Alchemist to the Backbone" lists information on the characters, some interviews with the staff, tidbits and the names of most of the significant characters(official anime spelling, e.g. Zolf J. Kimbly). It's divided into 13 parts, one with each R2 DVD.

Whether the American booklet is the whole 13 parts compiled into one or just the holder + the first part(and remaining parts given with each new DVD, following the R2 format) is still a question.
jarjar111
So I am confused, is the box set which is coming out in Feb. for the first half (25 eps) then a second box set for the other 26 eps? Are they really doing 4 episodes a DVD!?! If so can you give a link? I love this show!
Zarpia
they're like 4 episodes per dvd, unles is a season dvd box set, but for that one is just 4 episodes.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(jarjar111 @ Jan 18 2005, 03:25 AM)
So I am confused, is the box set which is coming out in Feb. for the first half (25 eps) then a second box set for the other 26 eps? Are they really doing 4 episodes a DVD!?! If so can you give a link? I love this show!

The first tin box will hold 5 DVD volumes. So 4 episodes for 5 DVD volumes is 20 episodes. So, 13 DVD volumes total, they will probably release two more DVD box sets.
jarjar111
So every DVD which comes out has 4 episodes on it correct? tongue.gif
Sounds cool, but here's a question. The textless openings and endings? Will it only contain opening 1 and 2 and such (like stuff we saw on TV) or all of them, like the torrent version?
TheVileOne
QUOTE(jarjar111 @ Jan 18 2005, 03:49 PM)
So every DVD which comes out has 4 episodes on it correct? tongue.gif

Most of them probably will. I think 4 times 13 is 52, and there are 51 episodes. So that means one volume will probably only have 3 episodes.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 18 2005, 05:13 PM)
Sounds cool, but here's a question.  The textless openings and endings?  Will it only contain opening 1 and 2 and such (like stuff we saw on TV) or all of them, like the torrent version?

No. For TV they show the second opening, READY STEADY GO in its entirety, and an edited version of Kesenai Tsumi, the first ending.

The DVD's will contain all the openings and endings from the original Japanese broadcasts. So Volume 1 would have unedited versions of the first openings/endings, Melissa and Kesenai Tsumi. So basically, yeah, like what you might have seen on the torrents.
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 18 2005, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 18 2005, 05:13 PM)
Sounds cool, but here's a question.  The textless openings and endings?  Will it only contain opening 1 and 2 and such (like stuff we saw on TV) or all of them, like the torrent version?

No. For TV they show the second opening, READY STEADY GO in its entirety, and an edited version of Kesenai Tsumi, the first ending.

The DVD's will contain all the openings and endings from the original Japanese broadcasts. So Volume 1 would have unedited versions of the first openings/endings, Melissa and Kesenai Tsumi. So basically, yeah, like what you might have seen on the torrents.

oh good! thank you!
jarjar111
After the first DVD is released when is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, etc. going too come out? Thanks
angieness
Alright sorry for the delay, here are the dates for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th DVDs! Keep in mind it's likely they might change since they're so far ahead. Sorry for not having the names of the DVDs, at work we do have them but since the district manager is coming tomorrow and I was busy cleaning up the store I didn't have the time to write down the titles. From what I remember volume 4 was called The Fall of Ishbal or something along those lines, so don't quote me on that, I just remember it involved Ishbal. I can give the full titles Saturday since that's when I work again

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 2: April 5, 2005

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 3: May 31, 2005

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 4: July 26, 2005

again it's likely the dates might change, it doesn't look like there's going to be a specific pattern in the releases, perhaps almost bimonthly?
TheVileOne
Well the release for the first DVD was delayed about a month b/c of problems with the manufacturers of the metal boxes overseas.

Angieness, the release for the first few volumes looks bi-monthly, yeah.
Hmmm.... so FUNimation is calling Ishu-whatever "Ishbal"...
Kirara
That sucks, I was really hoping for monthly releases, I really think bimonthly releases is dragging it out too long.

Also I will be flying back from Italy on the date of the volume 3 release, so I guess my copy will be waiting for me at Suncoast when I return. wink.gif
TheVileOne
Ah quit yer whining Kirara. Bi-monthly is better than quarterly or nothing at all. Plus there's still the new episodes every week on cartoon network.
Kirara
Ah quit yer whining Kirara. Bi-monthly is better than quarterly or nothing at all. Plus there's still the new episodes every week on cartoon network.

Since it is my money I am spending I can whine if I want to. Of course Bimonthly is better than quarterly or nothing at all but just because something is better doesn't mean it is good. That is like saying it is better to be sick then to be dead, very true (in most cases) but being sick still sucks. That is an extreme example, but you know Vile One you don't have to praise everything about FMA and Funimation. If something warrants criticism I am going to criticize. Bi-monthly will take two years for a complete release, that is an unreasonably long time if you ask me.
Can someone explain what Bi-Monthly and Quaterly means? Thanks! tongue.gif
Full Metalloid Alchemist
Bi-monthly means every two months, while quarterly means one for every quater of the year, maybe? So that would be like 4 a year, one every four months.
ἀρχή
Bi-monthly does suck. That means I have to pacify myself with something else for two months at a time sad.gif
It seems too be released at a good pace hear me out, Feb,[skip month],April,May,[skip month],July, August<? Following his release dates:

"Fullmetal Alchemist volume 2: April 5, 2005

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 4: July 26, 2005"

And I know they are subject too change but it seems like its well spread. blink.gif
*~Oashisu*~
I agree that it is at least better than it coming out Quarterly, or just randomly. Other series DVDs sometimes only come out all the way after the series is over... That wouldnt be good. We would all have to sit and wait, counting the days. >.>
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Kirara @ Jan 20 2005, 07:48 PM)

Since it is my money I am spending I can whine if I want to. Of course Bimonthly is better than quarterly or nothing at all but just because something is better doesn't mean it is good. That is like saying it is better to be sick then to be dead, very true (in most cases) but being sick still sucks. That is an extreme example, but you know Vile One you don't have to praise everything about FMA and Funimation. If something warrants criticism I am going to criticize. Bi-monthly will take two years for a complete release, that is an unreasonably long time if you ask me.

This doesn't warrent criticism though. I actually think bi-monthly releases are pretty good and reasonable if you ask me.

First of all, you don't know it will take 2 years just because it seems volumes 1-4 seem to be released every 2 months. Second so what if it does? It will give you a long term goal for the next couple of years smile.gif .

Plus did you ever think with the DVD production, that maybe bi-monthly is the fastest amount of time they can get it out and still be good?

This just seems to be an insignificant issue to complain about. I'm just happy that we are getting any DVD's seeing as to how some big corporations like dreamworks royally screw up with DVD releases for high quality anime.
Ah I am sure Funimation can release the series once a month, they have done it with Yu Yu Hakusho (which is partially monthly and partially bimonthly). Besides by the time the first DVD comes out 13 episodes will be shown on tv. By the time they get up to the 13th episode on DVD it will be the 4th DVD. This gives them a lot of room to release DVDs earlier. Plus I read that they are already working on episode 25.

And I don't need any more long time goals. With all the book, anime and manga series I am into I will be collecting series for many years to come. I was hoping I could get FMA without all this ridiculous waiting. And if it will be released every two months it will be approximately 2 years since there will be 13 DVDs, you just have to do the math.

And I still don't see what the big deal about complaing is. I am not saying that I hate funimation or I am not going to buy the DVDs because of this, I am just saying that I am a little upset that the DVDs will not be released sooner. Besides having to wait longer it is also something that I will have to spend money on for a longer period of time.
Kirara
Is it just me or does anyone else want to get rid of that guest feature. I logged in but then when I posted I was logged out as a guest. sad.gif.

I hate it because I can't edit my post and I always end up making typos Plus I don't like to be anonymous, so everytime I accidently post as a guest I make sure to say it is me.

But to add something of "substance" to this post. Another point is I would actually prefer that DVD releases were before the Television releases. I always worry that I will somehow miss the television episode but if the episodes were out on DVD first I wouldn't have to worry about this. And I know once it comes out on DVD I will eventually see all the episodes but with a series like FMA you can't watch episodes out of order. But oh well!

And to make you happy Vile One I am still very excited that FMA is being released here. I wanted to see the series for a long time. And with all my complaints (though I don't think I complain that much) I do admit what we are getting is much better than nothing at all.
Besides the DVD manufacturing process and packaging, they have to take in the concern that the TV broadcasts(and repeats) should be allowed to have their possession of the audience for a while. If the DVDs are available just after or even at the same time as those broadcasts, who will bother to watch them and give the stations the needed ratings to attract advertisters/sponsors?

You watch the show, get interested, then buy the DVDs when they come out. That's the working model the industry is following.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 21 2005, 02:38 AM)
Ah I am sure Funimation can release the series once a month, they have done it with Yu Yu Hakusho (which is partially monthly and partially bimonthly). Besides by the time the first DVD comes out 13 episodes will be shown on tv. By the time they get up to the 13th episode on DVD it will be the 4th DVD. This gives them a lot of room to release DVDs earlier. Plus I read that they are already working on episode 25.

And I don't need any more long time goals. With all the book, anime and manga series I am into I will be collecting series for many years to come. I was hoping I could get FMA without all this ridiculous waiting. And if it will be released every two months it will be approximately 2 years since there will be 13 DVDs, you just have to do the math.

And I still don't see what the big deal about complaing is. I am not saying that I hate funimation or I am not going to buy the DVDs because of this, I am just saying that I am a little upset that the DVDs will not be released sooner. Besides having to wait longer it is also something that I will have to spend money on for a longer period of time.
[snapback]92785[/snapback]

Think about it this way. Now you will have more time to save up for the next release wink.gif .
Chibi Viki
Is it just me or does anyone else want to get rid of that guest feature. I logged in but then when I posted I was logged out as a guest. .

I hate it because I can't edit my post and I always end up making typos Plus I don't like to be anonymous, so everytime I accidently post as a guest I make sure to say it is me.

why don't you just log in and check the box w/ the label "remember me in this computer/remember my login" ? Works for me, and I don't have to log in everytime i come here.

what's the guest feature for? it's for people who are not registered as members of this forum.
Kirara
why don't you just log in and check the box w/ the label "remember me in this computer/remember my login" ? Works for me, and I don't have to log in everytime i come here.

I do that is the point. I am logged in for awhile and the one time I forget to check I am not logged in anymore.

what's the guest feature for? it's for people who are not registered as members of this forum.

Well no other forum I belong to allows unregistered users to post. You can browse the message board without posting to see if you want to join and then register to post.

Besides the DVD manufacturing process and packaging, they have to take in the concern that the TV broadcasts(and repeats) should be allowed to have their possession of the audience for a while. If the DVDs are available just after or even at the same time as those broadcasts, who will bother to watch them and give the stations the needed ratings to attract advertisters/sponsors?

You watch the show, get interested, then buy the DVDs when they come out. That's the working model the industry is following.

There are shows (such as Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragonball Z) that the DVDs were released before the tv airdate, so it is not impossible. You can also look at it the other way around. Certain people might not buy the DVDs because they have already seen it on TV.
angieness
Here's the titles of volumes 2-4! Sorry it took a while, I hadn't worked in the past few days and didn't want to bother my coworkers

Volume 2: The Scarred Man of the East

Volume 3: Equivalent Exchange

Volume 4: Fall of Ishbal
Hilde Knight
I don't think it'll be bi-monthly. From what I've seen, companies will make release dates far apart so they have more room to work with. They don't want to make promises of monthly release dates in case something comes up, so they give out more spaced out release dates.

Also, in my experience, anime DVDs will generally have better features as releases come out. wink.gif I remember being really unsatisfied with the GTO extra features, but then around the third DVD I think it was, they had an interview with the creator which I really enjoyed. So, I'm guessing we'll eventually get those better features, we just got to be patient.

Besides, I think the box and CD more than make up for poor features.
Hey angieness, Can you give us the release dates for those DVDs please? I think we all wouldnt mind... biggrin.gif tongue.gif
angieness
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 24 2005, 12:29 AM)
Hey angieness, Can you give us the release dates for those DVDs please? I think we all wouldnt  mind... biggrin.gif  tongue.gif
[snapback]95713[/snapback]

I already posted it on the other page but for those who missed it here it is

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 2: April 5, 2005

Fullmetal Alchemist volume 4: July 26, 2005
Apple Juice
Hey thanks for that Vile, I was wondering what extra things would be included. I will definately be picking this up. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.