Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angel Sanctuary (天使禁猟区; Tenshi Kinryouku)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga > Let's discuss your fav manga series here!
Pages: 1, 2
DarkWater Alchemist
Yesterday, I bought the first volume (again, in French >_>) and I really liked it! (However, after visiting some sites, I had to remark that some names had been changed sad.gif but I think they're just bad translations of the kanji.)
Are there others here who've read this manga? I believe VIZ has licenced it in America, right?

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 1995
Author: Yuki Kaori
Artist: Yuki Kaori
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Gender Bender, Mature, Psychological, Romance, Shoujo, Supernatural

Summary
The angel Alexiel loved God, but she rebelled against Heaven when she saw how disgracefully the other angels were behaving. She was finally captured, and as punishment sent to Earth to live an endless series of tragic lives. She now inhabits the body of Setsuna Mudo, a troubled teen in love with his sister Sara. Setsuna's misery mirrors the chaos among the angels, and their combined passions threaten to destroy both Heaven and Earth.

Note: This manga may contain scenes/themes that may not be suitable or confusing to minors. Seek adult guidance before you view if you're 13 years old or younger.

Kihaku
A few years back I read two volumes of it (in German). I thought it was a little wierd, but maybe I wasn't used to that kind. I adore Kaori Yuki's art and themes though! biggrin.gif I'd really like to read more of it. Yes, it's licensed by VIZ, but the only volume I've seen at the stor is 4 (wow) Although I'd probably try and get hold of the German version if I ever get the money tongue.gif They're up to the final volume, 20 already! wink.gif
Anyway.... I was also pretty touched by Setsuna's and Sara's relationship. I never thought it was creepy although it raised a few questions in my mind. tongue.gif Still I thought it was beautiful.
DarkWater Alchemist
I don't know how many volumes they have in French, could be that they've finished it already.

THe love between a brother ans sister may be a bit weird, but I also think it's beautiful, and the art is gorgeous... I wish I could draw like that.

*thinks... 20 volumes x 5 = 100* let's spread that in 4 months ^^
Kihaku
Yeah and that's the cheapest manga I can get tongue.gif The German version is also 5 euros... Oh gosh 100 eueros.... but 8 vols of the English one would be as much...
The German one tends to be sold out too... (from all stock). It's scary....
Then there's also the artbook... If I'd get addicted to it I'd want that too tongue.gif
I have to wait a bit.. and think... hopefully I'lll be able to still read/buy it if I gather a lot of money tongue.gif
LordGohan
wats so good about it?

darkwater:for the longest time i thought your avy was a wolf...
luciferownsme
I've read the whole 20 book series!

I love it! I love it! I love it!

Kira Sakuya and Lucifer are so hot.....

I'd say the art out-does the story by a bit, but the story is pretty good anyhow.
Kihaku
Lucky you! wink.gif I'll have to take my time.. *sighs*. Also I'm pretty reluctant when it comes to new serieses. I remember liking it.. especially the art, but that was a long time ago...I have a feeling I'd like it more now. wink.gif
Since you like the art so much, do you also have the artbook?
luciferownsme
Yeah. I have both art books...*wallows in the almighty beauty of it*

I always end up scaring people explaining Angel Sanctuary.... is it my fault the devil is hotter than god?
Cbibi_chibi
I've read the whole 20 volumes. Well, the story is much deeper and better, than the anime.
Though I didn't like the (Warning! non- PG 13 spoiler! ->) incest part sad.gif
luciferownsme
QUOTE (Cbibi_chibi @ Jan 18 2005, 10:00 AM)
I've read the whole 20 volumes. Well, the story is much deeper and better, than the anime. Though I didn't like the .... part sad.gif

Yeah, most people get scared when I mention that part when explaining what the story is about....
DarkWater Alchemist
When i was looking for pics, I came across some German sites, it seems AS is really populare there... (and omg, the drooling... laugh.gif)

Me wantssss artbook too!

LordGohan lol, must be because it's upside-down ^^

luciferownsme Yeah... Kira and Lucifer are hot indeed (and I've only seen 2 pics of lucifer... o_O)

(Warning! non- PG 13 spoiler! ->) Incest is a bit scary when you think of it or imagine it with people you know:D In the story, it's more something mysterious, and Setsuna's really worried about his love for his sister... he tries to do something about it, but you can't just stop love.

edit: The french also have 20 volumes out. Still I ordered vol 2 and 3 in English... I don't know in wich language I'm gonna continue cool.gif
luciferownsme
QUOTE(DarkWater Alchemist @ Jan 20 2005, 02:59 PM)
When i  was looking for pics, I came across some German sites, it seems AS is really populare there... (and omg, the drooling... laugh.gif)

Me wantssss artbook too!

luciferownsme Yeah... Kira and Lucifer are hot indeed (and I've only seen 2 pics of lucifer... o_O)

Being the person I am with way too much time and apparently no life, I can scan the artbooks, if you would like. And Lucifer is hot....and kinda of a stoic, but I can live with that....I have him on my computer like there's no tommorrow. My friends always complain his nose is odd and at times sort of disappears(damn the frontal view to hell...no wait, send it to heaven, we won't be needing it down here...)
Bling_bling_Angel
The artwork's top-notch... but the (Warning! non- PG 13 spoiler! ->) incest...? mellow.gif Let's not even go there...
Kihaku
luciferownsme: Both artbooks? I know one is called "Angel cage" but the other?
Lucky you! biggrin.gif

Chibi_chibi: uh... you didn't like the (Warning! non- PG 13 spoiler! ->) incest part? But.. I thought that was big part of the story...

DW Alchemist: yeah, it's pretty popular there since the volumes are always sold out tongue.gif
Hmm.. you don't know wich version to buy? I thought the French one was cheaper?
I'll never be able to find the English one, but I can at least order the German ones.. all at once (unless they're out of stock again). But I understand that buying a few at a time doesn't feel so bad for you wallet.

Bling: You didn't read it then???
luciferownsme
Yup yup! Both Artbooks in all their glossy page glory. The Second page is Lost Angel. I want more Lucifer-sama....
Kihaku
Are they the original Japanese ones?
Darn it... I really love that art so much...
Hmm.. maybe I could buy the artbook (Angel Cage) first and then if I'm totally hooked.. it wouldn't matter having debts.. (um.. what am I saying...)
Lucifer.. Lucifer... You've been talking about that guy.. but I simply can't remember him (I've only seen te OVA and read two vols of the manga).
I'm soo curious...
luciferownsme
yeah, the original Japanese artbooks in their glossy page glory...

Lucifer shows up in the ending parts...
The devil is so sexy....*melts like a chocolate bar over his almighty sexiness*

My friends always complain he has a bizarre nose though >>

OT:
And he's not in the OVA since the OVA doesn't get anywhere near the apocalypse.
DarkWater Alchemist
Would you really do that, lucifer? blink.gif That would be so cool ! And for the legalness-freaks: if I like it (wich I probably will), I'll look desperately for the books anyway. I'm a kapitalist somehow, I like to own stuff wink.gif

Yeah, the problem with the french manga I read is that I don't understand much of the typical 'spoken language', things I never learned at school, so then i need a dictionary. I want to read some in English, to compare, but because of the price and the easyness of buying in a shop (where I have a client card *_*) I'll probably buy the rest of the volumes in french.

Oh, wait, the VIZ version is a bit larger than the one of Tonkam... bigger is better laugh.gif
Kihaku
luciferownsme:
Ooh... Lucifer is hot! biggrin.gif Bizarre nose? What on earth is wrong with his nose? I didn't see anyting wierd about it...

Hmm.. if he doesn't show up in the OVA I probably wouldn't rmember him.. it's also been a long time since I read the manga in German( those two volumes) they were form the start and now all 20 are out. biggrin.gif

You're scanning the artbook? Good for you! And thanks too! biggrin.gif

DW Alchemist:
I also like to really be sure that I like something before buying it. I'm a kapitalist too in a way.
I like owning stuff.. but there's no room on my shelf (I make room for manga..) and my poor money.. I need a better job.
I also prefer the English version.. I like the size of the books... I also like reading in English rather than in German(even though I understand both well enough) and I like to spread the manga to my few friends who would read it and don't understand German.. *sighs*
luciferownsme
I don't why my friends say he has a weird nose. I can't see anything wrong with it...

Well one difference is that after Setsuna gets his butt kicked by Kira's friends, what he says to Kira who is attempting to make sure he's still alive.

In the Viz version:
Setsuna: "I want you to do me"

Sakura Crisis:
Setsuna: "I want to f___"
DarkWater Alchemist
Thanks! I didn't realize some of the pics I already saw where from the art book...

I don't know what would be wrong with lucifer's nose either...

I've been saving lots of pics, and putting them in my third photobucket account (third, yeah, I know, I know...) http://photobucket.com/albums/v306/Angel__Sanctuary/
Kihaku
Hmm.. that line doesn't sound like a very big alteration.. biggrin.gif
Setsuna says that? biggrin.gif Interesting...
There are other shonen-ai hints in it, right? At least so I've heard.. but I don't remember finding any myself... ( I could also have not been paying attention)
I really curse my broke situation now... *sighs*
Those pics are just awesome! First the artbook then the manga.. *starts thinking*
DarkWater Alchemist
Shonen-ai hints... first thing I can think of is Rosiel and Katan...
I bought a poster today, they're only 3 after all, but I wish they were a bit larger, for the sake of my wall, I need more posters sleep.gif
nezz
lucifer is the coolest.
and nothing is wrong wif his nose!!!!

i finished all the 20v and it is quite good. kaoru yuki is definately my favourite shoujo mangaka!!! biggrin.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
I fear my ordered manga's aren't going to arrive anymore, if they have it in stock, it's always really quick. Dammit >_<

EDIT: Yay, it helps to complain, today I got the mail that my manga's have arrived (it's mailorder service where your items are sent to a shop, and you can the pay them cash there. I like it smile.gif)
Dancing Alchemist
Yeah, I've read it before twice.
Prinz_Zoisit
hah! lucif!

i got all these images as a postcard collection!! they're soo precious to me although i don't really like Angel Sanctuary!!^^;;
Kihaku
Yeah well.. if it'a small poster..tongue.gif okay I'm dumb and never think..
Oh anyway.. I love the poster! biggrin.gif *apploads*
I've been reading a bit of the manga and my my fav at this point is Kira smile.gif....*wants Kira poster*
I'm waiting for Lucifer to appear... wink.gif.
Yup.. that's an awesome sig! biggrin.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
Oh, I wish they had a Kira poster >_<
Kira-sempai is the best ^^

and thanks ^^
Kihaku
They didn't have a Kira poster? *sighs*
Just finished reading vol 5 of the manga wink.gif I'm actually beginning to like Kato a lot too wink.gif
For some reason I've been paying attention to Setsuna looking like a little kid... I don't know he seemd so much older before, but he suddenly started seeming like a kid to me.. smile.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
Phew, vol 4&5 have arrived at home ^^ Me knows what she'll be doing tonight biggrin.gif

Count Cain is cool too, though I sometimes don't understand who is who and what's going on exacly, but you get used to it. The setting is great (I love 19th century cosumes) Cain is always dressed sooo se.. stylish. *innocent*
Kihaku
Yay for you! biggrin.gif
I've got up to vol 9... I think.. and sometimes I'm a little out of it...
Maybe it's easier to understand if I read as a book (instead of on the screen)... like Count Cain wink.gif ... but yeah even that can be a bit wierd.. like "Kafka" for example.. I don't know if I understood the end that well.. I really loved the part about Cain's childhood.. so sad, depressing but beautiful...
DarkWater Alchemist
Yeah, I know what you mean..; AS needs a certain amount of concentration in order to be able to follow what's going on. Most other manga's aren't that complicated. Thas also one of the reasons why I read AS in English ^^
Kihaku
I also read it in English... or well the scanlations.. I somehow have found it very hard to cencentrate.. so much text.. tongue.gif But I can always read it again. smile.gif
Oh.. so you ordered the English version of AS?
Tamago
QUOTE(DarkWater Alchemist @ Jan 11 2005, 06:39 AM)
Yesterday, I bought the first volume (again, in French >_>) and I really liked it! (However, after visiting some sites, I had to remark that some names had been changed sad.gif but I think they're just bad translations of the kanji.)
Are there others here who've read this manga? I believe VIZ has licenced it in America, right?
[snapback]81327[/snapback]

I HAVE UP 2 BOOK 5!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!! IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tamago
QUOTE(DarkWater Alchemist @ Feb 25 2005, 04:56 AM)
Phew, vol 4&5 have arrived at home ^^ Me knows what she'll be doing tonight biggrin.gif

Count Cain is cool too, though I sometimes don't understand who is who and what's going on exacly, but you get used to it. The setting is great (I love 19th century cosumes) Cain is always dressed sooo se.. stylish. *innocent*
[snapback]121415[/snapback]

THEY HAVE COUNT CAIN IN AMERICA??? blink.gif
DarkWater
it's me, just not logged in. I just read that VIZ is going to licence Count Cain, I didn't check Viz's website though...
And yeah, I'm buying the English books, and trying tot to read scanlations, but there are enough other things to read
meanwhile.

btw, Tamago, neither me or Kihaku live in the US ^^
Celestial Shadow
I have a close online friend who's psycho about it, thus I know ALOT about it...Set-chan, Kira and Michael are... *droolz* But I don't want to ->personally read the manga for 2 reasons: (Warning! non pg13 spoiler ->) Incest and the fact I know the ending and way too many spoilers, not necessarily thanks to my friend but rather thanks to the wonders of the Internet -_-

But since I got Netflix, I was thinking about watching the anime because if Angel Sanctuary was free, I'd still read it even knowing what I know. But my friend says the anime is drawn worse (it is in my opinion) and that it's all serious; there's no fun stuff.
DarkWater Alchemist
Aww, don't let (Warning! non pg13 spoiler ->) incest stop you ^^ For what I know, it only appears in the beginning of the manga, and nothing really happens. Knowing spoilers is less fun, I know all about that sad.gif

OT: I also think the art in the anime doesn't equal that of the manga, and for unknown reasons ends where the 'first book' story of the manga ends. After all, the anime isn't that bad, because I've seen worse adaptations, but the manga is way better.
Celestial Shadow
Well I know the ending of it, and I know what happens to one of the characters I like very much sad.gif
Kihaku
Yeah.. I agree with DW... The (Warning! non pg13 spoiler ->) incest isn't something "big" after all tongue.gif.
The stroy revolves around much more.

Yeah.. I don't want to know what happens at the end.. or fancy spoilers either, I'm not suspecting anything happy though sad.gif. Still.. AS hasn't been uptil what I've read (10vols) as horribly tragic as I expected.

OT: I actually don't remmebr much of the anime.. but I know that it kind of scratched the surface or so it seemed to me. Three OVA eps doesn't exactly equal 20 volumes.
Celestial Shadow
From what little I know of the ending, it doesn't seem...bad *is trying not to spoil it* At least what I know. It's just...I don't like that it...happens...
DarkWater Alchemist
If AS was just a little Shakespearian, the only one alive after all that happened would be... damn. This is hard with so many 'immortal' chars. It might be Kurai or Kira - just someone who can sit down in the end and wonder how this ever could have happened. I sort of like that kind of outcome for tragic disastrous stories ^^

I still haven't read enough to know what might happen though ^^
Celestial Shadow
I doubt it will be Kira...is all I will say.
Kihaku
Ooh.. it won't be Kira.. *cries*. Well.. then I don't care. tongue.gif
Ah, I could just finish the manga, but I never get down to it.. still stuck with vol 11 tongue.gif
Tamago
I love this manga, Aaaaanywaaaaaay..... Like the dumba** I am, I forgot 2 pick up book 7 cause I forgot I hade 6!( huh.gif )
I love it though! My sis loves the Mad Hatter, & I love Kurai!

OT but hate, hate, HATE the anime!

Zaphikel's cool, and so is Raziel! I hate Sara though.
DarkWater Alchemist
Oooh, I just read book 6, the Mad Hatter is cool ^^ But there are so many chars I like ^^ Kira, Uriel, Zaphikel, ...

Raziel is hugely cute, he's one of the very very rare characters of any manga I'd draw as a puppy or something.
Well... I really should buy vol 7 soon. Depends on this Saturday, wether I've got money left after visiting the animecon biggrin.gif

Anyway. I'm nog gonna check out your art, lucifer. I don't wanna do homework >_>
luciferownsme
Sara is so ungodly annoying, though girls in the lover of main character boy category usually are mildly if not incredibly annoying.

I love Zaphikiel. He's so cool. Lucifer is my favorite even though his personality is a bit not too great...
Kihaku
Celestial fangirl, I see you're a Kira fan too *waves Kira flag*

Maybe what's stopping me is the confusing story? Also there are so many characters that I'm getting mixed up. XD. But I'm getting the hang of it...
Ah, Kira is such an interesting character.. somehow the revelation in vol 11 didn't surprise me at all... Anyhow for some reason when he's in a bigger part of the story I find myself more interested and reading more..
Yeah, I don't fancy Sara that much either.. but she's not overly annoying...

The story is interesting... It's just probably because it's confusing that I'm not so into it...
Interesting that you'f mentioned Kira and Micheal...
Hmm.. I really like Micheal too, especially after I learned something about him... although after Kira I like Kato the most...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.