Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hollywood Going Anime
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Kitoky
Okay, I don't know if it's a rumor or not but - I SURELY hope that it just is.

I heard that Hollywood's going anime I guess and all I heard is that Chad Michael Murray is going to play Kyo (Fruits Basket) and Orlando is also going to play someone (god forbid it be Shigure or Ayame). *prays*

I really just don't see why they would humiliate themselves and insult the name of anime. Anime should be kept to tv, animation. Not real life drama.
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif;; ....Street Fighter comes to mind.

Nooo~ not Ayame~~ ph34r.gif (Why Fruits Basket of all things?)
Le Monkey
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Not holywood! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo ph34r.gif ph34r.gif
lime_chan_the_wannabe_alchemist
NOOO!! they can't hollywood can't make a Fruits Basket movie*cries*,what gets me mad is that anytime the make it they also use American actors knowing sure as heck the characters are Japanese mad.gif ,*shudders at the thought*
Le Monkey
awfull aint it
Spartan-Church
Hollywood going anime? Good god, That has to be the worst thing EVER. How about we stick to anime with no actors playing characters, cause I bet teh actors will screw up.
Zio
Hehe...Street Fighter. Man, that was a bad movie.

Oh, the only anime I ever known getting a live action movie was Dragon Ball Z and it must have been bad or else America would have gotten it in stock.

Fruit Basket is not the only anime. Lupin III has been in the making for some time. There was even a poster for it made by someone in DeviantART.
QUOTE(Zio @ Jan 10 2005, 11:21 AM)
Hehe...Street Fighter. Man, that was a bad movie.

Oh, the only anime I ever known getting a live action movie was Dragon Ball Z and it must have been bad or else America would have gotten it in stock.

Fruit Basket is not the only anime. Lupin III has been in the making for some time. There was even a poster for it made by someone in DeviantART.

oh why did I forget the live action version of Evangaleoin*sorry I spelled it wrong*<.<
Kihaku
And what happened to DBZ? I actually would have wanted to see that one tongue.gif
Am I the only person who thinks that it might be interesting to see anime as live action?
Toby-Chan
I doubt it. Especially with an american studio. In Japan, maybe. But still very unlikely.

Don't forget about all the rumors that anime was supposedly going to be 'banned' from America. Don't be fooled so seriously by silly rumors. It was probably a joke.

And if it wasn't, may God have mercy on the poor souls of those who dare taint the name of Furuba.
Omakase Shimasu
@Kihaku: laugh.gif;; I thought it would be interesting to see too, but then I saw the Street Fighter movie and... well, it was a bit disappointing. Seeing the characters get played by actual men... without their signature steroid-manipulated-muscles... It just isn't the same. -.-

Maybe this Fruits Basket movie won't be so bad because they aren't Street Fighter characters... but still...

@Zio: which DBZ movie are you talking about? smile.gif The Taiwanese or the American?
saiyanprince
QUOTE(lime_chan_the_wannabe_alchemist @ Jan 10 2005, 10:02 AM)
NOOO!! they can't hollywood can't make a Fruits Basket movie*cries*,what gets me mad is that anytime the make it they also use American actors knowing sure as heck the characters are Japanese mad.gif ,*shudders at the thought*

From what I understand, anime is the Japanese representation of caucasian people. Hence the large eyes. I believe it was first derived in early Japan by the way they drew their clowns. So, white actors would actually be the right choice for the roles. But, I hardly believe there is an actor in hollywood who could accurately portray any anime character as they know nothing about Japanese philosophy.
QUOTE(saiyanprince @ Jan 10 2005, 12:44 PM)

From what I understand, anime is the Japanese representation of caucasian people. Hence the large eyes. I believe it was first derived in early Japan by the way they drew their clowns. So, white actors would actually be the right choice for the roles. But, I hardly believe there is an actor in hollywood who could accurately portray any anime character as they know nothing about Japanese philosophy.

yea thats true <.<,but for some reason I think Japanese people*well some*look more like the characters sleep.gif*I'll shut up now*
saiyanprince
QUOTE(lime_chan_the_wannabe_alchemist @ Jan 10 2005, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE(saiyanprince @ Jan 10 2005, 12:44 PM)

yea thats true <.<,but for some reason I think Japanese people*well some*look more like the characters sleep.gif*I'll shut up now*

I've seen plenty of Japanese people and I don't think ANY of them look anything like their anime counterparts. Anime character are large and angular in the face, they look like white guys. Except the hair, that hair could only be done in a cartoon enviroment. Not trying to strike up an arguement, just stating what I believe to be the obvious. In the end, it's only my opinion. And I think I'll shut up now wink.gif
Omakase Shimasu
I think Gackt comes very close to certain anime characters. Of course they're all pretty boys. cool.gif Not to mention RPG-based characters.
saiyanprince
What is Gackt?
Growler
The only saving grace for Evangelion is that WETA (the people behind alot of the Lord Of The Rings stuff have been involved

You ahve probably seen alot of this before but here is a link to some concept art

Evangelion
Omakase Shimasu
@saiyanprince: This is Gackt.

IPB Image

And here's a link with more of his beautiful self if you're interested. biggrin.gif Click me!!
saiyanprince
So they look like a rock band, are they any good? Have they been featured in any anime? Sorry I'm lazy and i didn't surf the site very well! dry.gif
Slashrose1010
I read a lot of negative feed back.. Yes I think this might be a bad idea but it also might be good. Look st it this way. People in America will have more association with anime and may get into more of the "authentic" stuff. Also, I do think getting big names like Orlando Bloom is a bad idea. I would prefer no name actors to do VA. Hopefully they don't make it extremely commercial and just ruin anime as we love it. If it gets to a point where I think it is just wrong, I'll be with you guys with strike pickets tongue.gif
Fresh_Coffee
0_0 fruit basket? Movie real people? Someone please help me not fall down. It's bad enough Orlando Bloom is the new James Bond. I mean I like Orlando Bloom and all but James Bond is not his part in my opinon.
saiyanprince
SHUT UP!!!! Since when did orlando bloom get the new Bond role??? I thought they were going with Clive Owens? BTW, Orlando Bloom sucks. He was good as Legolas and that's it. Pirates would have been a wreck if Johnny Depp had not saved it. Orlando Bloom got lucky with LOR. His luck will soon end when people start realinzing he can't really act. I'm surprised it's taking hollywood this long to get it.
Fresh_Coffee
Yes Orlando Bloom is the new James Bond. Orlando Bloom to me dosen't fit the part of James Bond. They should just keep it as Pierce Brosnan they think his too old though.
Growler
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 10 2005, 02:55 PM)
Yes Orlando Bloom is the new James Bond. Orlando Bloom to me dosen't fit the part of James Bond. They should just keep it as Pierce Brosnan they think his too old though.

actually he will be playing bond in a younger role and not necessarily as the suave secret agent rather his younger life

Bond Announcement

i dunno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
saiyanprince
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 10 2005, 02:55 PM)

Have you seen his last movie? Brosnan is lookin tired. Do you know who clive owens is? He was in that crappy King Arthur movie and recently the movie closer. He could have done it, but Bloom? What is hollywood coming to? There is no hope for a better future in movies. BTW, Bloom would have to gain like 40 lbs in muscle to even fill the Bond role that skinny little rail. He couldn't lift a finger much less a gun. God I can't stand him.
Fresh_Coffee
I'm just saying that I would PREFER Pierce Brosnan INSTEAD of Orlando Bloom. Yes I know who Clive Owens is.

actually he will be playing bond in a younger role and not necessarily as the suave secret agent rather his younger life

Really? Thanks for the info
Slashrose1010
^Young Bond: wonder what that movie is about... Still... Orlando Bloom?
telepika
Orlando Bloom as James Bond!!! What!!! You know why he's popular? It's his crazy female fanbase. All he needs to do is wrinkle his forehead then girls swoon and say that's good acting.

Oh, btw has anyone else heard the rumors of a Rurouni Kenshin live action movie?
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jan 10 2005, 12:29 PM)
@Zio: which DBZ movie are you talking about? smile.gif The Taiwanese or the American?

Wasn't it made in Hong Kong? The version I watched was in Chinese, I think, and while I don't remember much about it, I'm pretty sure it was bad, like a lot of Asian slapstick movies.

There's a City Hunter movie starring Jackie Chan. I remember laughing at it even though I didn't understand a word any of the characters said (again, the movie was in Chinese).
Quistis88
Orlando Bloom as Bond!? Spare me. He's only hot in Lord of the Rings. That's it. And I thought his acting really lacked in Troy.

Don't kill me, Bloom fangirls.
Fresh_Coffee
Yah I thought he was pretty bad in Troy. Well I like him kinda of but not to the point where I would actually think he would be cool as James Bond. He dosen't have the look or the "coolness".

Telepika: RK action movie 0_o More Info please!
Kirara
Fruits Basket as a movie? Where did you hear this? Well I am 100% sure it is not true. If this was even remotely true you would hear it at one of the main anime websites like www.animenewsnetwork. And that goes for any anime-related hollywood movie.
sevter
Ah well...I hope it isn't true since if one muscle its way into the Anime market, the others will surely follow *shudders* how they're going to butcher the Anime...

I remember watching a Street Fighter rip off when I was a kid but I thought the movie was quite acceptable. But then, Street Fighter's a game, not an Anime.
telepika
@Fresh coffee: It's just a rumor I heard from my sister. According to her, there was an article about it in Anime Insider a few months ago, but I haven't heard anything since (Not from animenewsnetwork.com or anything). So I think it's just a rumor.
Le Monkey
anyone seen the anime ridduck, its only a half hour but its quite good
Fresh_Coffee
Well did they did Battle Royale into a movie but then again it was Japanese actors.
sorry I mentioned Japanese people looking like the charcaters sad.gif ,I guess I just want anime to stay well anime not live action*well then again it kind of depends on the series*
Fresh_Coffee
... I know what you mean Lime-Chan if they were going to do Fruit Basket I think it would be really weird. Since they change into animals.
Toby-Chan
On the topic of looking like anime characters, some people do, and some don't. However, somehow, Japanese are more likely. There are some art styles in which the character's anime-like features still strongly resemble asian facial appearance, (Ex: Ghibli Movies, Rurouni Kenshin OAV, etc.)

Plus, look in the cosplayers. I've seen 3 convincing American cosplayers, tops. The Japanese pull it off much better, imo. (Maybe I could find some pics of those excellent Naruto players. Dayng, they're good!)

And there is a good deal of live action anime remakes in Japan (Cutie Honey, Sailor Moon, etc.) in which the characters look like excellent counterparts to their anime characters, even though it may seem impossible.

I dunno, I'm rambling.
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(saiyanprince @ Jan 10 2005, 09:14 PM)
So they look like a rock band, are they any good?  Have they been featured in any anime?  Sorry I'm lazy and i didn't surf the site very well! dry.gif

Gackt is a solo-singer, although he was once a member in a group/band called Malice Mizer. In my opinion he's great. I love his songs, especially Vanilla. biggrin.gif But I guess it's all a matter of preference. Um... I'm not sure what you mean by 'featured in any anime' but he isn't a voice actor as far as I know. ^^;;

@Guest/Zio?: Oh, it was made in Hong-Kong? biggrin.gif;; Sorry, it's been so long since I last watched it... I think you're referring to the same movie though. Bulma was dubbed B-ko, and the evil badguy looked like a Power Ranger's rip-off. ^^;;
Kitoky
The only actually Live Action animes I know is Sailor Moon Live Action and I heard something about Evangelion.
here are a very Japanese cosplayers* I have more links if you need any*
http://multi.cosplay.ne.jp/cappera/cosplay/rarsatu.htm
http://www.costume.jp/photographs/Comiket/55/FS17.htm
http://www.dhp-online.com/jaz/cos.html
Omakase Shimasu
Naruto and Iruka are adorable!! laugh.gif They even cosplay Harry Potter characters? Harry's cute, but for the life of me I can't figure out if it's a boy or girl playing him there. biggrin.gif;;

Oh, I can't see anything with that second link. It doesn't seem to be working. ^^
saiyanprince
QUOTE(sevter @ Jan 11 2005, 01:53 AM)
Ah well...I hope it isn't true since if one muscle its way into the Anime market, the others will surely follow *shudders* how they're going to butcher the Anime...

I remember watching a Street Fighter rip off when I was a kid but I thought the movie was quite acceptable. But then, Street Fighter's a game, not an Anime.

Streetfighter is an anime if you've ever seen the 4(?) movies they released. They even tried a Saturday morning American brand cartoon. That was bad. Come to think of it, the movies were not anime, but they were animated and very well. You should at least check them out. They are worth seeing.
Enigma Alchemist
There's rumors around more than Fruits Basket becoming live action, I heard from a pal that they're working on a liveversion of the GTO anime as well.
It seems weird though that they took that anime, of all their is to choose. They'll find it a hard time to make it even come close to the original =)
DarkWater Alchemist
*screeeeech*

No live action movies >_< Come ON! If they got the money, why don't they make a good anime... a tremendously good anime with the budget of a live action. I don't really think it will happen, and I hope so even more.

I've seen pictures of those sailor moon live action people, but I didn't read the article.. i thought it was about a show, but I can be wrong.

Kase: Gackt is cool. I did read half of an article about him (in french, that's why >_>) and he seems to be a mysterious guy. And I only know one Malice Mizer song, and a few of Gackt solo...
Forgiven
I agree. I mean, a live action Dragon Ball movie? wtf? Whats next, a musical?
Dickens
i saw the trailer for that while I was in the cinema last week.

*shakes head*

it looks awful
Forgiven
QUOTE (Dickens @ Mar 18 2009, 04:33 AM) *
i saw the trailer for that while I was in the cinema last week.

*shakes head*

it looks awful

Ew. I just saw the trailer on Youtube. They butchered it. It looks like your typical American "I don't know how to act" movie.
Hagane no Baka
Okay this is actually the other way around; making a live action movie into an anime.. but for me it's just as bad dry.gif

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...t-anime-version

I just so hope they won't do it!!!!!!!!!! I hate Twilight! dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.