Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fma Dvd/bd (first Series) Discussions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Phoenix_alchemist
I've heard some complaining about the voices of the US dub, how expensive they are and other stuff, so I'm just wondering how amny of you are gonna dish out the $200-$300 or so for the whole set?

I'm copying current FMA DVD (U.S. release) info here. 12/08/06 ~ Tombow smile.gif

Volume 1: The Curse (Episodes 1-4): Release Date: February 8, 2005
Official Price: $29.98 (Amazon Price $19.99)

Volume 2: Scarred Man of the East (Episodes 5-8): Release Date: April 5, 2005
Official Price: $29.98 (Amazon Price $26.99)

Volume 3: Equivalent Exchange (Episodes 9-12): Release Date: May 31, 2005

Volume 4: The Fall of Ishbal (Episodes 13-16): Release Date: July 26, 2005

Volume 5: The Cost of Living (Episodes 17-20):Release Date: September 20, 2005

Volume 6: Captured Souls (Episodes 21-24): Release Date: November 15, 2005

Volume 7: Reunion on Yock Island (Episodes 25-28): Release Date: January 10, 2006

Volume 8: The Altar of Stone (Episodes 29-32): Release Date: March 7, 2006

Volume 9: Pain and Lust (Episodes 33-36): Release Date: May 2, 2006
Official Price: $29.98 (Amazon Price $21.99)

Volume 10: Journey To Ishbal (Episodes 37-40): Release Date: June 27, 2006

Volume 11: Becoming the Stone (Episodes 41-44): Release Date: August 1, 2006
Official Price: $29.98 (Amazon Price $21.99)

Volume 12: Truth Behind Truths (Episodes 45-48): Release Date: September 5, 2006
Official Price: $29.98 (Amazon Price $20.99)

Volume 13: Brotherhood (Episodes 49-51): Release Date: September 12, 2006
Official Price: $29.98 (Amazon Price $15.76)

(Release dtates may not be completely accurate. sleep.gif)

Volume 13. release came earlier to accomodate the FMA "Shambara.." movie DVD release.
For FMA movie DVD release discussions, please go to FMA moviie DVD release thread in our FMA movie sub-forum. smile.gif

TheVileOne
I like the English voices and I have no problem paying money for the all the DVD's.

Keep in mind Phoenix_alchemist, that the DVD's are going to have the original Japanese language track along with English subtitles, so if people don't like the English voices, they don't have to listen to them. Plus, the DVD's are going to have all the original openings and endings for the series intact and uncut/unedited. So am I going to buy the series on DVD in the US? Fuck yeah.

Just a reminder to American/English fans that don't like the dub, region 1 Funimation DVD's are the only way you are getting legal Japanese/subtitles.
Ninie
I'm not gonna buy all, but certainly some of them.
I love seeing people using the excuse of how they hate the English voices to justify them not buying the DVDs while continue to scream how they "would love to support FMA".

It's impossible to believe that they don't know the R1 DVDs come with the option of Japanese audio track with English subtitles. After all, this fact has been advertised and practiced for so long in the industry.

Just a bunch of hypocrites trying to act with a higher moral ground.
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif After having seen the dub and heard their US voices my decision to buy the DVDs has become officially official (knew the US VAs would pull through!), even though I already have both the subbed and dubbed versions on my PC. ^^;; As soon as I've gotten my hands on those DVDs though, I'll be throwing them off the harddrive to make way for other not-yet-licensed anime and whatnot. tongue.gif
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 3 2005, 01:58 AM)
I love seeing people using the excuse of how they hate the English voices to justify them not buying the DVDs while continue to scream how they "would love to support FMA".

It's impossible to believe that they don't know the R1 DVDs come with the option of Japanese audio track with English subtitles. After all, this fact has been advertised and practiced for so long in the industry.

You hit it right on the nose man.
Ninie
I would buy them all! It's not because of the voices that I won't but because of the money! One anime dvd costs about 40-50 $ CAN. I usually have 70-80 $ CAN in my pockets, and I have other things to buy... Too bad it's not my birthday everyday! sad.gif But I will try to find some job this summer, so maybe I will be able to buy... Half of them? Maybe more? Who knows.
Quistis88
"Eventually, yes."

I don't have CN, so even the dubs have been downloaded. I also want to own the entire series in Japanese, and I do not want to go to the trouble of importing, and I certainly refuse to buy bootleg versions. Therefore, the US DVDs will be the only decent choice.
Phoenix_alchemist
I don't have much problem with the english dubbing, in fact, I like them better than most dubs I've heard.

Although I'm definately going to buy the special edition of the 1st disc when it comes out, I'm not sure if I have enough money to buy the rest at a steady rate. College sure costs a lot of money. sad.gif And my job doesn't really cover college expences and that many luxury items.
definingmind
I'm going the "eventually, yes" route. I like FMA and all, but it's not on my priority list for anime series to buy. Right now I'm just trying to buy all of the X TV series DVDs, that and the Oh! My Goddess series.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Phoenix_alchemist @ Jan 2 2005, 11:21 PM)
College sure costs a lot of money. sad.gif

Unfortunately, yes . . .
hitokiri
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 2 2005, 08:58 PM)

well i'm not in it to support anyone.... but me. i got my subs all burned on dvd in divx/xvid format and i have a divx region free dvd player for my tv. so i'm just gonna sit back and watch my illegal subs on my tv and smile in the satisfaction that nobody benefited in any way but me..... laugh.gif
Penguin
I am one of those people who don't really tend to like dubs but I am still going to buy the whole boxset with the first DVD and keep on going until I have them all. Just because I have downloaded all the episodes doesn't mean I don't want to have the actual thing.
Quistis88
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 3 2005, 12:41 AM)
well i'm not in it to support anyone.... but me. i got my subs all burned on dvd in divx/xvid format and i have a divx region free dvd player for my tv. so i'm just gonna sit back and watch my illegal subs on my tv and smile in the satisfaction that nobody benefited in any way but me..... laugh.gif

Why, hitokiri, you sly thing. laugh.gif

If only the electronics and technology in my possession had such capabilities . . .
CosmicMoon
Yeah, internet's too slow to download all the episodes, lol so might as well get the box set. ^^
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Penguin @ Jan 3 2005, 07:44 AM)
I am one of those people who don't really tend to like dubs but I am still going to buy the whole boxset with the first DVD and keep on going until I have them all. Just because I have downloaded all the episodes doesn't mean I don't want to have the actual thing.

Just for future reference Hitokiri, its probably smarter if you didn't admit to committing a crime or downloading/watching illegal subs on the message boards.
hitokiri
oh yeah i also eat small children, crap on people, kick dogs, i shot jfk, i'm the one kidnapped the lindburgh baby, and i'm the guy that created SARS.... whatever... if the man's gonna get me, he'll get me...
Dreakon
Wow, is this the only thread in the forum that isn't infested with dub haters yet? I love the dub, but I just don't have the money for the DVD's. I may get some of them as I watch the episodes and as I make more money, but until then I can't promise anything. wink.gif
Kirara
Yes I am going to buy them as they come out, I already have the boxset reserved smile.gif

Money is not an issue (well it is, but truth be told the FMA series isn't that expensive compared to some other R1s of anime) but I do wish they would release them quicker, I am impatient.
xrninja
QUOTE(Kirara @ Jan 3 2005, 02:51 PM)
Money is not an issue (well it is, but truth be told the FMA series isn't that expensive compared to some other R1s of anime) but I do wish they would release them quicker, I am impatient.

i'm waiting to come across a small (or large) fortune, or else i won't be able to afford them. T__T

actually, penguin|tired never got me a christmas present. hint hint, cough cough. wink.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(xrninja @ Jan 3 2005, 07:48 PM)
actually, penguin|tired never got me a christmas present. hint hint, cough cough. wink.gif

You can always start nagging. biggrin.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jan 3 2005, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE(xrninja @ Jan 3 2005, 07:48 PM)

You can always start nagging. biggrin.gif

i spent econ whacking him with a roll of paper after reminding him. rolleyes.gif
saiyanprince
There are a lot of Dub haters in this group but I too side with them. I have never heard and english dub that was even remotely as realistic as the Japanese voices. Besides, most people here have probably seen all the episodes via some illegal download. We have connected with the original characters and their voices and listening to it in english feels like a different person. I'm still gonna buy the box set since it will have the japanese with subs. FMA has got to be the best anime series ever.
miss_neko
heck yeah ima buy it! it might not be cheap but it's worth the money
water_alchemist
maybe i'll buy it...But i might not because i already have all the episodes in english and jap.
kei-chan
i like the japanese seiyu's voice.

hohoho, i will buy the dvd ass soon as i found it biggrin.gif
inneRdemonS
yeahh, im gettin it as soon as the whole set comesout, the box set prolly.IPB Image
lupin2000
i have just bought the first dvd. i love it. the only problem i have is that they use the origional intro song, than the one we see every saturday night. mad.gif sad.gif
Apple Juice
Cool. biggrin.gif

How's everything else?
lupin2000
the rest is fine.... i would have liked a few more special options though.... but in the end i give it a 8 out of 10
Apple Juice
Did you get the starter or not?
TheVileOne
Its rather humorous there is someone upset that they DON'T have the second opening on the DVD, when the source of many of the purists complaints on the Adult Swim broadcast disdain is that they don't use the original openings and edit the endings.
KevLar
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Feb 8 2005, 05:16 PM)
Its rather humorous there is someone upset that they DON'T have the second opening on the DVD, when the source of many of the purists complaints on the Adult Swim broadcast disdain is that they don't use the original openings and edit the endings.
[snapback]109458[/snapback]

I agree. The intro/outro is the only problem I have with the dub and I usually hate dubs. The american tv views should be upset they won't get to see the cooler openings (the 4th being my favorite).
Kirara
I got the boxset today and I think they might have accidently forgot to charge me for it. I bought a few other things so I am not entirely sure but my bill was pretty darn low for the amount of stuff I purchased. Not that I am complaining.

Anyways I couldn't be more happy with the boxset. It is so nice that people were commenting on it as they walked past my desk at work. And the CD is awesome and the booklet that comes with the DVD is really neat, and I am so happy to finally get to watch the original version. smile.gif

And also for the person complaining about not having Ready Steady Go on the DVD. That will come in due time. On the DVDs we are getting all the songs. There is nothing to complain about. Although just getting any opening on Adult Swim is a miracle because that usually doesn't happen.
TheVileOne
I also got the starter set and it is great. I checked out the little booklet it came with, and when the hell are those action figures coming out?! Cause they look awesome.

Anyway, 8 more weeks until the DVD release for The Scarred Man Of The East! Save your money now.

FYI, in case anyone didn't know, Best Buy is selling the regular DVD release for $19.99 just to give you an idea. Not too bad since a lot of new anime on DVD single disc volumes seem to go as high as $25-30.
Kirara
I also got the starter set and it is great. I checked out the little booklet it came with, and when the hell are those action figures coming out?! Cause they look awesome.

I think I remember hearing March. I want them too. Something more to spend my money on Hooray!

In other news I gave my boss (who has never watched anime before) the first 12 episodes and after the first 4, she and her husband seem to like the show. The only bad thing is I gave her the first 12 in hopes she would catch up to episode 13 but that was not the case. Now hopefully she remembers to tape the repeat for herself tomorrow.
AlphonseRules
I got the starter set today and was very pleased. I finally got to see the only 4 episodes that I missed on Cartoon Network. The DVD is great and the Booklet and Soundtrack are pretty cool extras(not much info in the booklet though). My favorite of the first 4 episodes was #3 Mother.

Can't wait until Volume 2 on April 5.
Linda
Yup, 8 more weeks. What better waiting a month for 2 episodes? or Waiting 2 months for 4 episodes? I think they did that in Japan i heard it somewhere Hmm.. Probably Not
TheVileOne
It'll be 4 episodes. 13 volumes total, so one will probably only have 3 later on.
The Blackrose
QUOTE(KevLar @ Feb 8 2005, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Feb 8 2005, 05:16 PM)
[snapback]109458[/snapback]

I agree. The intro/outro is the only problem I have with the dub and I usually hate dubs. The american tv views should be upset they won't get to see the cooler openings (the 4th being my favorite).
[snapback]109508[/snapback]

I hope you're not serious. RSG isn't that bad of an opening, but I seriously want Rewrite (or at least UNDO) to be shown when the time comes.
TheVileOne
They will be shown. Except just on the DVD's and not on Adult Swim.
lupin2000
i only got the dvd... i was going to get the box, but target didnt have it. mad.gif
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(lupin2000 @ Feb 8 2005, 05:07 PM)
i have just bought the first dvd. i love it. the only problem i have is that they use the origional intro song, than the one we see every saturday night. mad.gif  sad.gif
[snapback]109357[/snapback]

Yeah I like the Adult Swim intro better too. But I can see that every Saturday at midnight(11:30 starting this week). If they did not use the original opening on the DVD I would never have seen it. Also, I thought that there could have been more/better extras on the DVD.
TheVileOne
I agree alphonserules, but anime DVD releases typically have very little or are sparse in the way of extras. ADV seems to be experimenting with more contemporary extras on their DVD releases like audio commentary and cast and crew interviews.

I actually wish Funimation put some stuff like that on the FMA DVD's, even if it is just the English cast/crew because I want to hear from them.
AlphonseRules
Yeah, I think it would be awesome to have Aaron Dismuke talk about what its like to play Alphonse at his age. All his friends are probably jealous.
TheVileOne
From what I understand, Funimation is going to be including audio commentary on all the episodes of the final Yu Yu Hakusho DVD release along with cast/crew interviews (probably English C/C only). So hopefully they will do something like that for FMA.
angieness
The set is gorgeous! I can't wait until the next starter comes out ^^ Will it be with volume 5 or 6? Also can't wait to see what the set comes with
AlphonseRules
Are the discs that don't have the starter set as an option still going to have special edition as an option. If so what kinds of goodies should we expect.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(angieness @ Feb 11 2005, 05:08 AM)
The set is gorgeous! I can't wait until the next starter comes out ^^ Will it be with volume 5 or 6? Also can't wait to see what the set comes with
[snapback]111275[/snapback]

It'll probably be volume 6 since the starter set holds the first 5 volumes.

QUOTE(AlphonseRules)
Are the discs that don't have the starter set as an option still going to have special edition as an option. If so what kinds of goodies should we expect.

No. The only DVD's like that for an anime series I can really think of are Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, and even for those the special edition is just a second disc with the show in DTS...nothing fancy in the way of more extras.
lupin2000
what comes in the box sets?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.