Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just How Do They Do It?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Queen of the dammed
<Moving the thread from FMA Character discussion forum to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sub-forum where all plot-hole story-hole threads are being collected. 02/19/07 ~Tombow>
<In my attempt to collect all similar theory/thoughts threads on Homunculus in one forum, I'm moving this to FMA Anime forum. Also, temporrily closing till I can sort out all homunculus threads. 02/24/07 ~Tombow>

I bet this has been posted before, so if it has, hit me, but I keep noticing when the homoculus regenerate, their clothes regenerate with their wounds as well.... I mean does it make the clothes part of their bodies as well??? Wouldn't it make sense if their skin would grow back and not the clothes....
ἀρχή
I never thought about it. I imagine the homunculi have their clothes as part of their body to save on the costs of buying new clothes all the time. When you think about it, Ed keeps ripping his shirt and pants, but always finds another pair quick enough of the same thing. He needs a wardrobe change.
Gashole
It's anime. That's the way it's supposed to be.
And Bart Simpson has a whole robe of the same shirts and shorts.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Gashole @ Dec 31 2004, 10:06 AM)
It's anime. That's the way it's supposed to be.
And Bart Simpson has a whole robe of the same shirts and shorts.

Yes, and for some reason I believe it smile.gif.

Could you imagine having to constantly come up with different wardrobe for an anime character? I think the production volume would drop dramatically if every character had to change their clothes everyday.
Hikari no Hohenheim
About the Homunculus... Those black clothes are indeed part of their bodies. Have you see in the clothes the red lines and circles that are used to get them weak, like when Lust were cruxified? Most homunculus (Greed, Pride, even Lust) uses other clothes upon the black ones. Others, like Envy and Sloth, only show those black clothing with their real forms.
Toby-Chan
In Fruits Basket and Azumanga Daioh, the characters change clothes a lot.

That's beside the point though. As for Ed, don't you think he just transmutes himself another coat/shirt? It'd be easy enough for him, right?

And he does so change clothes. I remember my friend pointed out that his black shirt is different at some point. Something to do with the zipper and stuff. Way too observative. tongue.gif
Gashole
Ed's black shirt changes cause he actually outgrows it.
Queen of the dammed
Hmm.. I see, but the thought of being born with your clothes on is still indeed quite strange... blink.gif
Omakase Shimasu
Maybe the rating also has something to do with it? biggrin.gif
FullmetalFreek00
the stranger the better! and besides...if the homunculus spent time look for new clothes every time they get cut up or a part of their body chopped off, it would be pointless...its better if they regenerate their clothes along with their bodies so it doesnt waste time smile.gif
ἀρχή
I'll admit, I'm not up to seeing an episode where envy has to shop for new clothes because she got her old set all bloody.

Wrath wasn't born with clothes. They're not born with clothes nor would it be part of their body - well, maybe it is, but that just doesn't seem right to me. Only Envy has that ability it seems. Omakase Shimasu has it right I think smile.gif.

EDIT: I didn't think about that with Azumanga Daioh, but they also wear their uniform a lot. I think that's why uniforms are very popular in cartoons.
Omakase Shimasu
laugh.gif The mental image is priceless. All FMA characters who face the problems of loosing their clothes 24/7, together in a mall. rolleyes.gif Utter chaos and mayhem guaranteed for sure.

Thanks, arche, but to be honest I don't even know what the actual rating of the series is. biggrin.gif;;
ἀρχή
I'm sure Gluttony has trouble finding things in his size. He's pretty limited in his selection. It would be funny if all they had was a light blue liesure suit for him ohmy.gif
Toby-Chan
Aw man, I'd pay to see some of those antics.

Envy: I'd like a leather miniskirt, men's size 2.
Clerk: o.O
ἀρχή
I can see Sloth forcing Wrath to try on clothes. I imagine that Wrath would rather not wear any clothes anyway since it's more natural for him to be that way.
Queen of the dammed
Sloth: Com'on Dear, wear some clothes, it's improper to walk around nude.....
Wrath: BUT MUMMY!!!!! I DON'T WANNNA WEAR CLOTHES!!!! *starts throwing a tantrum and tansmutates objects within his reach*
Clerk: O.o;

Greed: One pimp vest, size 5 please

Scar: IN THE NAME OF GOOD, HAND ME MY MAN'S SIZE 6 COAT!!!!!!!
Clerk: errrrr..... Okay.......
Toby-Chan
Envy: Here, get this kid one of my outfits, only... skip the loincloth. He wears shorts until he's cool enough to be on my level.
Wrath: (Pouts)

Lust: I want you to fit Gluttony here with some tight-fitting leather pants.
Clerk: Uh... ma'am, I think maybe tight leather wouldn't be such a good idea. A sweatsuit mayb-
Lust: What? Do you want to hurt the poor dear's feelings or something?! *Waves talons threateningly)
Quistis88
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jan 2 2005, 05:41 PM)
Envy:  Here, get this kid one of my outfits, only... skip the loincloth.  He wears shorts until he's cool enough to be on my level.
Wrath:  (Pouts)

Haha. laugh.gif So true, so true . . .
Shinsei Kage
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 31 2004, 03:37 PM)
Aw man, I'd pay to see some of those antics.

Envy:  I'd like a leather miniskirt, men's size 2. 
Clerk:  o.O

^ The thought of that nearly killed me from choking on my food. XD

And, I think that the homunculus' clothes being a part of their body is also due to the fact that the creators didn't want any "private parts" to be showing when they regenerated. Also, arche, Envy is a male. =P

But, wow. I would jump at the chance to see the homunculus shopping at the mall for stuff. Hell, throw in ALL of the Hagaren characters, even the ones who never get their clothes messed up!
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Shinsei Kage @ Jan 2 2005, 09:26 PM)
Also, arche, Envy is a male. =P

I didn't realize I referred to Envy's gender improperly. Anyway, it hardly matters considering Envy can't remember his true form. He's so ambiguous.

Somebody needs to do a parady on this somehow. It would be hilarious to see them arguing over clothing smile.gif.
Shinsei Kage
Maybe if we beg and plead and grovel enough, the creators will make an OVA spin-off of sorts that would feature all of the characters from FMA doing every day things, like....shopping at the mall. But that will never happen, so I'll just have to wait until someone makes a (GOOD) fanfiction featuring that instead.
Queen of the dammed
Or I could try DRAWING it..... though it wouldn't look any good....
Toby-Chan
I was thinking of doing something of the sort for deviant art. One more item on my procrastination list. biggrin.gif
ἀρχή
I just saw episodes 21 & 22 again. Well, at the end of Episode 21, Scar has his shirt ripped to expose his tattoo. In the beginning, of episode 22, Scar's shirt is brand new o_O

I guess they took a break from the fighting to go shopping for Scar's shirt tongue.gif
Toby-Chan
Continuity errors with costume are fun. tongue.gif

But then again, that's been pointed out with Ed's various rips. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- it'd be easy enough for a good alchemist to transmute a new item of clothing, or at least repair the cloth. Am I right?
ἀρχή
The thing is that Scar can't transmute new clothes tongue.gif. So I guess Al could have done it for him. Either way, they had to stop the fight to do it. Maybe Scar has an extra shirt with him all the time. Kind of like Armstrong tongue.gif

Toby - love your new sig - Okasa's so funny smile.gif
hagane_no_tokage
QUOTE(Shinsei Kage @ Jan 2 2005, 10:05 PM)
Maybe if we beg and plead and grovel enough, the creators will make an OVA spin-off of sorts that would feature all of the characters from FMA doing every day things, like....shopping at the mall. But that will never happen, so I'll just have to wait until someone makes a (GOOD) fanfiction featuring that instead.
[snapback]72644[/snapback]

*raises hand* actually, my sister and i are working on a pardoy fic based on just that. heh heh heh....look forward to it sometime soon! XDDDDDD

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jan 3 2005, 08:18 PM)
I was thinking of doing something of the sort for deviant art.  One more item on my procrastination list.   biggrin.gif
[snapback]73652[/snapback]

check this one out... sketch i threw together for aforementioned parody fic... not finished yet, but getting there. XD toby-chan, i'd love to see yours!
Queen of the dammed
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Jan 25 2005, 04:22 AM)
check this one out...  sketch i threw together for aforementioned parody fic...  not finished yet, but getting there.  XD  toby-chan, i'd love to see yours!
[snapback]96958[/snapback]

Darn. You draw so much better than me...... >.<
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 24 2005, 08:11 PM)
Toby - love your new sig - Okasa's so funny smile.gif
[snapback]96946[/snapback]

Sankyuu! o^.^o Made it meself!

check this one out... sketch i threw together for aforementioned parody fic... not finished yet, but getting there. XD toby-chan, i'd love to see yours!

Coolies. Envy's wearing Pants? o.O

XD Actually, I did once draw a picture of him wearing boy-clothes just for the heck of it. It's the only good pic of him I've ever been able to draw. I'm really bad at the male figure, even the extremely feminine male figure, so that may explain why my doodles of him in his normal clothes don't turn out well. (And I always suck with hands and shoes. sleep.gif) Omg! Envy in boy clothes!
Shinsei Kage
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Jan 24 2005, 09:22 PM)
*raises hand* actually, my sister and i are working on a pardoy fic based on just that.  heh heh heh....look forward to it sometime soon!  XDDDDDD

check this one out...  sketch i threw together for aforementioned parody fic...  not finished yet, but getting there.  XD  toby-chan, i'd love to see yours!

Yay, I can't wait now! XD Oh, I like the pic! I could never fit that many people in one picture...not without horribly distorting them, anyway. sleep.gif

Oh yeah, are those two original characters in the pic going to be in the fanfic? o_O
hitokiri
i think in a world where you can give someone your arm via alchemy, the ability to regenerate clothing is not a big deal.
Queen of the dammed
QUOTE(Shinsei Kage @ Jan 26 2005, 05:50 AM)
Yay, I can't wait now! XD Oh, I like the pic! I could never fit that many people in one picture...not without horribly distorting them, anyway. sleep.gif

Oh yeah, are those two original characters in the pic going to be in the fanfic? o_O
[snapback]97608[/snapback]

Actualy I think that if OC characters are done well, they're realy cool biggrin.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 26 2005, 01:08 AM)
i think in a world where you can give someone your arm via alchemy, the ability to regenerate clothing is not a big deal.
[snapback]97628[/snapback]

What's sad is that the giving of an arm via alchemy seems believable to me, but the fixed shirt isn't.

Of course you're right - it's just an anime. It's not like the whole world depends on it.....or does it dry.gif
Shinsei Kage
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Jan 26 2005, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE(Shinsei Kage @ Jan 26 2005, 05:50 AM)

[snapback]97608[/snapback]

Actualy I think that if OC characters are done well, they're realy cool biggrin.gif
[snapback]97659[/snapback]

Oh, I don't have a problem with OCs or anything (unless they're mary-sues), I was just wondering is all. XD
Queen of the dammed
I've made an OC too, but he's not completly ready to stand up to the scrutiny of other fans yet..... biggrin.gif;
hidden_death
never really thought about it untill now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.