Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General Storyline Of The Anime Version
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
Phoenix_alchemist
I've been wondering whether the storyline of the anime version was made up by bones after cutting and pasting bits of the manga together to make the first half of the series, and then slapped on their own story for the rest of it? Or did Arakawa Hiroaki-san help them create this storyline? Does anybody know?
Sycia
They did make up parts that the manga hadn't come to yet, and did re-arrange the sequence of events, but it all has to go through the approval of the manga artist; Arakawa sensei first~

I've read that Arakawa sensei also supervised the character design of those characters that hadn't appeared in the manga the time the anime was made (for example, Ed and Al's dad).
Basically Arakawa-sensei was still doing the story when Bones called to say they wanted to make the anime. So she can only give them the manga materials then. Also she told them the conclusion she had in mind as well as like what Sycia said, materials and background for some future characters.

She never had a hand in deciding how the anime story went. Bones took what she had given them and made their own story. Supposedly, the only thing Bones asked of her is how the characters would likely react when confronted with certain situations they themselves created. Whether they took her advice on such character behaviour is also questionable.
vegita625
I think a better question is did Arakawa take ideas from the anime? I don't really know how many manga chapters were out by the time the anime finished...

manga/anime spoiler:
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
cool_cola
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 28 2004, 03:00 PM)

manga/anime spoiler:
Were they up to the Greed part of the manga when the anime part came out?  Martel died the same way but much much earlier in the manga, sword down Al's armor to "slay the poor chimera attacking Al."  And that's where the manga and the anime split from each other the most was right after that.  So I'm wondering if Bones got the idea of Martel's death from the manga or vice versa.
</b>[/color]

what chapter was that happened?
vegita625
QUOTE(cool_cola @ Dec 29 2004, 08:24 AM)

manga/anime spoiler:
Were they up to the Greed part of the manga when the anime part came out?  Martel died the same way but much much earlier in the manga, sword down Al's armor to "slay the poor chimera attacking Al."  And that's where the manga and the anime split from each other the most was right after that.  So I'm wondering if Bones got the idea of Martel's death from the manga or vice versa.
</b>[/color]

what chapter was that happened?

looked it up, the last chapter of the area of chapters I referred to was Chapter 30.
Phoenix_alchemist
Well, I just got Newtype USA's january issue today and the FMA article answered my question completely. *slaps self on head* dry.gif

But thanks for answering my question anyways guys. laugh.gif

Apparently they moved some scenes of when Ed and Al were 12 earlier in the anime so people have time to connect with them and experience their trials and stuff, and how they mature through it all. The article says that Ed and Al reacted differently to events in ep7 & ep9 because they were of a different age than they were in the manga version. Also, scar is younger in the anime version and learnes lessons througout the story.

The article says only 4 volumes were out when the story for the anime was written, so the story writer, Sho Aikawa came up with his own ending.
Hikari no Hohenheim
The manga have a dark look the anime haven't. The enemies are really enemies; they dont turn "good" at all.
Sycia
Really? I always considered the anime far more sad and dark. The manga still has a lotta funny sequences and everyone doesn't seem as angsty~
hagane_no_tokage
O_o really? i think the manga is much darker... and i agree that the villains are much more...well, villainous...

what about Lust?

and don't forget how

and what about Lt. Ross?

if you ask me, while maybe the anime is a little more...shocking at times because you see it in motion...there is so much more that has happened in the manga that is totally untouchable by the level of pain and drama we have seen in the anime...
Hikari no Hohenheim
FullMetal Lizard said all I have in mind. Plus Scar being a real motherf*cker in the manga...
blueices
Though both the manga and the anime are dark in their own ways, one way in which I believe the anime was darker was in how Winry lost her parents..

I guess I prefer characters where the level of evil is sort of ambiguous (makes things interesting: having characters seen in a sort of shade of gray rather than black and white) For some, the fact that Lust and Scar had all these internal conflicts is what made them feel that the anime is much more dramatic

I think a better question is did Arakawa take ideas from the anime?  I don't really know how many manga chapters were out by the time the anime finished...

manga/anime spoiler:
[b]Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
</b>

If you had done your research more, you would know that the anime is the one who was taking ideas from the manga. The manga was started way, way ahead ( 2 years ) of the anime and a lot of the drafts ( future chapters ) were given to the anime company before they were even published.
Fresh_Coffee
I agree I think the Manga is a lot darker although sometimes the tension is released with funny moments. The manga has better villains.

blueices
Yea, I could see where you're coming from, Coffee...
It seems that most people's hatred when watching the anime goes to tucker..(at least for me it did).

vegita625
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 1 2005, 05:44 AM)
If you had done your research more, you would know that the anime is the one who was taking ideas from the manga. The manga was started way, way ahead ( 2 years ) of the anime and a lot of the drafts ( future chapters ) were given to the anime company before they were even published.

Didn't do any research, just shot out something that was going through my head. I was just wondering how far the manga was when the anime got to that point. If chapters always came out monthly, that would go to about 24 when FMA started, plus another half a year or so when Greed entered the anime (assuming no stops in weekly episode production), they would be around manga chapter 30, plus a couple for the "future chapter drafts." Just checking. That and anime always seems to be based on its manga counterpart if there is one. I just never heard of an anime that came out before its manga counterpart, so I figured the manga was out beforehand.
Fresh_Coffee
Yea, I could see where you're coming from, Coffee...
It seems that most people's hatred when watching the anime goes to tucker..(at least for me it did

I also hate Tucker! I think I do with a passion and how he was always whispering in the anime. It just annoyed me so much.

blueices
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 3 2005, 07:50 PM)
I also hate Tucker! I think I do with a passion and how he was always whispering in the anime. It just annoyed me so much.

At least he is not really in the Manga because Scar killed him

Fresh_Coffee
Hahaha that was pretty funny

Queen of the dammed
Or
blueices
mwahahaha! I loved that one too!

Or how about

Omakase Shimasu
I think you mean Yoki. biggrin.gif
Fresh_Coffee
Omakase Shimasu
Sensei? biggrin.gif;;

hagane_no_tokage
i know this is a real delayed reaction, but i just have to say kudos to blue's comment about
blueices
[blue Views tokage's comment...blushes..
"flail-suru" laugh.gif ]

Its one of the many reasons why Episode 15: Ishbal Massacre was so so so good. FMA definetly serves up the drama.
Fresh_Coffee

Fma has tension. Everytime I had to go somewhere I always thinking about watching Fma.
bdogthehog
I am loving all this discussion, you guys are hitting all the high notes for sure, and its obvious the majority of you have read all the manga... unfortunately I have only read up to chapter 34, i need chapter 35 to the end, minus 41 and 42. any help would be incredible, thanx

peace
Tashi
blast, i need to read the manga
Merc
FMA has always been a great source of drama and human interest. It hits a lot of tough issues and never ceases to induce ulcer-causing angst in all of its characters. There's so much back stuff to the story it's incredible. I'm just glad the series was handled as it was in anime form. Just think, the studio who could've bought it could've wanted a "lighter" and "funnier" version. o_0;

~Merc
blueices
To those in search of manga:
Check out Anime-source wink.gif
Fresh_Coffee
Or go to serpent Cross they have the Zip files. You have to wait each month for it to come out since it's twice as long as normal manga. Example Naruto.
blueices
Yup Serpent Cross is a good source ( I actually came across that first)
Prob is I haven't been able to dl a single zip....(maybe they went over their limit for the month?)
In the end I got I downloaded the earlier volumes from this website, and got the later chapters the hard way...saved them from anime source (shhessh)
Fresh_Coffee
I did that too for couple of them it was tiring atleast I got the manga/.
vegita625
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Jan 6 2005, 06:21 PM)
i know this is a real delayed reaction, but i just have to say kudos to blue's comment about
roy suffering for the death of winry's parents...  i thought that was really cool and showed that even tho he puts up a tough and unbreakable facade, he's really a good person with a lot more conscience than he lets on...

Episode 37...

It's a great episode, hilarious in many, many times, as well as showing more of Roy's personality, like this one part from the episode, shows so much more about him than he ever means to show, same as "It's starting to rain." People who've seen this part know what I mean.
Fresh_Coffee
*Sniff* Roy is a good character I can't see why some Dub-fans hate him.
AliCat
I know I'm new but I think dub-fans hate Roy because so far (they just aired episode 9), Roy has seemed like a right jerk. Dub fans, at least English ones, don't really know him yet. Now, I've seen the fan-subbed ones, so I know what he's really like, but if I'd stuck with the dubs I'd hate him right now too. However, he's a good guy *huggles Roy even if he doesn't like it*.
vegita625
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 8 2005, 12:55 PM)
*Sniff* Roy is a good character I can't see why some Dub-fans hate him.

his good character shines in episode 13 for the first time, and barely at that. Before that, all you see is the sarcastic, controlling, manipulative jackass, nothing else. You don't see any of the stuff about the Ishbal War, nor his caring for his subordinates and friends. You know Hughes considers him a friend, but you haven't seen much of him acting as a friend as of the end of episode 9.
Fresh_Coffee
That's true but I like the saracastic Roy. His dream to get all the females in the military wear mini-skirts XD
vegita625
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 13 2005, 05:42 PM)
That's true but I like the saracastic Roy. His dream to get all the females in the military wear mini-skirts XD

(which is also episode 13...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.