Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Must He Suffer
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
suger_snake
<I'm going to close the thread because the thread goes all over OT random discussions of FMA characters on Scar, Nina, Archer, and so on. I'll try to salvage some good posts on Ed's suffering by moving those posts to other Ed discussion thread later. 02/23/07 ~Tombow>

Some posts to be moved to other Ed thread. Please do not delete this thread.
~Tombow

blink.gif so vary sad that ed has gone throw all of the pain in his life
ἀρχή
Most people in the world suffer through pain either physical, mental or both. The series helps us see someone triumph over their pains. Yes it's dramatized, but the fact that it is shown the way it is, allows us to identify with the characters most.
suger_snake
true

i think it is sad i cryd to the chimera episode

Note from Quistis: Don't double-post . . .
Blade42
Yep, we all know Nina's death was sad... Poor Nina. Such a good kid.
Hedera
Blade42
Yes... I think, Nina's death in the anime was even more sad, than in manga... in the anime she was sooo cute... I had such an awful feeling when I heard the voice of chimera (wich was created from Nina and Alexander) - "Onii-chan...". Oh God...
Blade42
yeah...actually I almost cried, and it's really hard for anything/body to make me cry. I liked Nina ....
Hedera
I almost cried too.... no, I actually cried a little... it was just too sad...
Foolio
at least Scar put her outta her misery, would you rather have her wondering around in pain?
Queen of the dammed
Poor Scar....
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 09:40 PM)
Poor Scar....
He has a mad bro who practicaly destroys everything....and then he dies in Lior with no arms..... *sniffle*

I agree. I felt quite sympathetic toward Scar at that point.
Blade42
Me too, and I'm glad that Scar put Nina out of her misery.
Queen of the dammed
Why do I get a feeling that he's gonna be hated to bits by the n00bs?
xrninja
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 07:50 PM)
Why do I get a feeling that he's gonna be hated to bits by the n00bs?

scar? yeah, they'll hate him to death. but scar definitely made my cool list near the end of the series.
Blade42
Because he murders people they might end up liking, or just because he murders people in general.
Queen of the dammed
But unlike Kimberlee or the other guys, HE HAS A REASON TO DO SO!!!!!!!!!!! he may not be my type of guy, but he's just an old softie inside...
ἀρχή
Don't forget the rate of episodes on CN. They will get the same impression we got when we watched them (at least me),
Blade42
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 07:56 PM)
But unlike Kimberlee or the other guys, HE HAS A REASON TO DO SO!!!!!!!!!!! he may not be my type of guy, but he's just an old softie inside...

Really, he is a softie inside... His reason is .... he's got to do something for his brother, I think. Stupid memory loss. I forgot.
Queen of the dammed
I never actually hated him... I mean when you've got the likes of Envy and such he's hard to hate....
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Blade42 @ Dec 19 2004, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 07:56 PM)

Really, he is a softie inside... His reason is .... he's got to do something for his brother, I think. Stupid memory loss. I forgot.

Queen of the dammed
Yes, but Kimberlee probably killed as may people for killing's sake....
xrninja
kimblee's just a sadistic bastard that likes making people and things go splody.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 10:22 PM)
Yes, but Kimberlee probably killed as may people for killing's sake....

True. He makes me sick. Scar doesn't as his motives have value.

It's nice to see a show that has a lot of 3 dimensional characters.
Queen of the dammed
Though of course then we shouldn't hate the terrorists that much since their motives of killing people have value.....I mean they don't just kill people like Kimberly.....
hitokiri
no kimblee's got a reason, he likes to see things go boom.... its not a very good reason but at least he's got one. now archer however, that guy just likes war.
ἀρχή
You bring up a good point. I think there's still a difference with Scar, I hope......
Queen of the dammed
But the reason behind Kimberly's actions are just not meaningful enough..... (I'm wondering how Kimberly looks like in the manga.....Is he as mad as his anime counterpart?)
Kasumi
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 19 2004, 11:38 PM)
no kimblee's got a reason, he likes to see things go boom.... its not a very good reason but at least he's got one. now archer however, that guy just likes war.

If liking to see people go boom is a reason, then why isn't liking war a reason as well?

ph34r.gif Wait, am I defending Archer? NOOOOOoooo! *bangs head on the nearest wall*
ἀρχή
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 19 2004, 10:38 PM)
no kimblee's got a reason, he likes to see things go boom.... its not a very good reason but at least he's got one.

It's the same as killing for killing sake. Everyone has a reason to kill. Even if it's simply for pleasure of the moment. The question is whether the reason has any ethical value. Obviously if the world began and ended with Kimblee, then it's ethical, but it doesn't.

Right now I'm drawing blanks on Scar, so I can't justify much for him, but I want to, so I feel there must be something there.
Queen of the dammed
Actualy I think Archer and Kimberlee were troubled as kids because they didn't get enough love..... *Hugs Kid!Kimberlee and Kid!Archer, then punches Adult!Kimberlee and kicks Adult!Archer's groind*
ἀρχή
Yes, get them when they're young, otherwise, you'll lose them forever no matter what you try.

I can already see empathy from my 4 year old, so you can never start too early.
Queen of the dammed
I SHALL TRAVEL TROUGH TIME AS RESCUE THESE POOR MISGUIDED SOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XDDDDDDDD
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 11:08 PM)
I SHALL TRAVEL TROUGH TIME AS RESCUE THESE POOR MISGUIDED SOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XDDDDDDDD

But then who will we hate when we watch the series? We need them to be bad if not to teach us what bad does to people.

Eh.....plus I don't think you'll succeed, sorry smile.gif.
Queen of the dammed
There's still Dante.... AND I WILL SUCCEED!!!!!!! (I like little kids... biggrin.gif They're just so cute... wub.gif)
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 11:58 PM)
There's still Dante.... AND I WILL SUCCEED!!!!!!! (I like little kids... biggrin.gif They're just so cute... wub.gif)

Ok, go ahead. Don't forget to bring me a souvenier from your time travel trip wink.gif
Kasumi
Well, good luck and hope you will succeed, Queen. tongue.gif Rescue those poor misguided souls and change the anime FMA future. More importantly, make sure Archer never goes ANYWHERE near Roy when he grows up. Gotta make sure he doesn't

tongue.gif
Nemu
I'd just like to say one thing.

what's with everyone feeling so sorry for poor Ed, when Al's gone through the same and worse? And what about the others? They so arent the only ones, you know.

Everyone suffers. It's good for the storyline. Else it would just be a comedy, and even in comedies the characters suffer - it's for the ones that are slightly sadistic. XD
Bloodless
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 19 2004, 08:32 PM)
Though of course then we shouldn't hate the terrorists that much since their motives of killing people have value.....I mean they don't just kill people like Kimberly.....

That may be somewhat true, but when it comes to killing, no excuse is a justified one...

Besides, we can always hate Wrath, he's so annoying... And Tucker, too...

It's easier to indetify with Ed when he suffers, and, well, he's an animated bishounen - animated bishounen must suffer, it makes things more interesting.
Guest_Isiserah/Iyami_*
Why must Ed suffer the most, despite what he has been through WITH Al?! I feel...*sniffle*....so bad for him. I love to see his golden eyes gleam with determination and happiness, it makes me happy. But I hate to see his golden eyes blank with sorrow and agony, it makes me cry. He had such a dramatic childhood, him and Al, Ed still is having a dramatic life, he had no time to be a child when he made his life purpose to getting his brother's body back. He doesn't even truly care about what happens to himself, that maybe one reason why many pity him more than anyone else. He's not important to himself really. And yet, even after all that pain, all the sorrow, all the remorse, he still has the will to believe in something, be himself, and grin and smile all the way. I respect that! I would have no will to go on if something like that happened to me...

And yet....the series of unfortunate events still trail on for Edward Elric, and yeah many others.

For one thing, Ed has carried more of a burden than anyone else, and the focus is, well, more focused on him so yes he is more idenified than others. He's the main character, ya' know? The fact that his intentions are good, but something misleading still, makes him a more pitying character for me. He keeps everyone out most of all. He can be very closed-minded, hot-headed, stubborn, and not listen to anyone. He doesn't know it, but he makes everybody else suffer too.... sad.gif
Longsword
Ed Suffers because of the mistakes he made, and because world is not a paradise: as Roy says in the end, it is an imperfect world but that's what makes it beautiful. None of us goes through life for any length of time without suffering tremendous losses: we will see loved ones die and we will face adversity. It is our actions that determine our worth. Ed just had to face his sorrows at a very young age.

But remember; Ed finds lots of joy in his journey, too: he makes great friends and grows up tremendously: from a big-mouthed brat he goes on to be the savior of the world. He learns that for every action there is a reaction. He also learns that sometimes a man must make unplesant choices, such as becoming a servant for a brutal military dictatorship in order to attain his goals. What sort of man would he have become if he'd not gone through all those trials for the sake of his brother?

Quick comment on previous posts on Scar: I see him as our dark mirror. His character makes us ask from ourselves: If we saw our entire nation slaughtered and our way of life destroyed, would we be strong enough not to hate? Strong enough not to seek revenge? If the pitiful survivors of our people were then procecuted mercilessly like the Ishvarlans, and our religion supressed, would we still seek peace? Or would we be like Scar, and hunt down our tormentors with any and all weapons available to us?

I fear that many would be like Scar and very few would be like Ed who always finds it difficult to strike the mortal blow, even against his worst enemies.
Guest_Isiserah/Iyami_*
...That almost sounds like something Ed would say, cutting out the "brat" comment.

I still just feel bad for him. But you're right, he made a mistake, and he's paying for it. But....just now, I mean, what happens now to him and....I can't stand homunculus...not for what they do to him...ENVY!!! *glares at Envy tip toeing across the room*

Envy: *runs out screaming* I DID'NT DO IT!!
Alchemist Adiktus Alexuna
QUOTE(suger_snake @ Dec 20 2004, 04:41 AM)
blink.gif  so vary sad that ed has gone throw all of the pain in his life
[snapback]60533[/snapback]

Not all the time there is happiness... Somtimes we need to have pain. dont forget that some pain someday will be happiness.

for example:
Al is return back to human body but lost memory. >>Pain

To able to return back, Ed do something else to retrieved back its memory.
When is memory back, He is glad that his bro is ok .>>Happiness

If there is a sacrifice for one thing, but their is a repayment about it.

thats the example. sometimes we need to have pain .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.