Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 7 . . .
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kristen ~Wildkittie~ Zarathustra
Oh man. I REALLY regreted watching this episode after I saw what happened. 0_o;; I tapped the episode too.

Poor Nina. I seriously broke into tears watching what happend. *gets shot because she knows it's only a cartoon* ._.;; It gave me nightmares after I went to bed after watching it.

What was running through your mind while watching this episode? (If you saw it . . . DON'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY. 0.o'' )
ἀρχή
I've been dying for my friends to see episode 7. When I saw it, it broke my heart too. I just couldn't believe what I saw. Nina is just like my daughter, so it was especially hard for me as a father.
Blck Shdw
Yeah I just saw episode 7 also, but i had already seen it in the manga on this website so i noe what was going to happen. its still extremely sad and more realistic. sad.gif
JTails724
yeah I saw it, and was like wow....very sad episode
kungfustickman
I knew this might happen! My brother the all time critic was surprised by this episode. I thought this was a good episode because it went against traditional TV and gave the audience a reason to start yelling at the TV. If you continue to watch FMA I promise that you will be talking you your TV.

By the way nice avatar JTails724. Mmmmm fox.
QUOTE(kungfustickman @ Dec 19 2004, 12:10 PM)
If you continue to watch FMA I promise that you will be talking you your TV.

I already was. tongue.gif
Dragoon
TwT *Sniffles* It gave me nightmares too. I bet if Al was his normal self, he would cry too. The thing that made me start crying was when Nina called Al and Ed her big brothers one last time. It was a lot sadder than Ep. 3.
Ailuro
Eh, I thought the Japanese version of episode 7 was the saddest. Especially the ending theme. T^T
vegita625
QUOTE(Dragoon @ Dec 19 2004, 12:45 PM)
TwT *Sniffles*  It gave me nightmares too.  I bet if Al was his normal self, he would cry too.  The thing that made me start crying was when Nina called Al and Ed her big brothers one last time. It was a lot sadder than Ep. 3.

I remember in the manga at one point, Al was talking about how his and Ed's lives were so tough, and how neither of them can cry. Ed feels he shouldn't cry and won't and Al wishes he could cry but he literally can't. I was kinda annoyed that that wasn't in the anime script at the same point, but oh well...
QUOTE(Dragoon @ Dec 19 2004, 12:45 PM)
TwT *Sniffles*  It gave me nightmares too.  I bet if Al was his normal self, he would cry too.  The thing that made me start crying was when Nina called Al and Ed her big brothers one last time. It was a lot sadder than Ep. 3.

I never cried during episode 3, but it was sad. This one was worse. . .
darkangelslayer
when i read the manga i felt sad but when i saw the anime i was really angry, not at the show but at tucker.i kept cursing at him.
vegita625
QUOTE(darkangelslayer @ Dec 19 2004, 04:05 PM)
when i read the manga i felt sad but when i saw the anime i was really angry, not at the show but at tucker.i kept cursing at him.

Well in the anime Tucker obsessively tried to justify his actions, in the manga he tried to justify his actions once or twice then that was it, Ed and Al left in disgust after having them arrested and all that, then Scar took out both of them in the manga soon after that, taking out the guards on the mansion then Tucker, then Nina. That was sad, that whole thing. In the anime, Tucker is obsessive and obviously psychotic, although he had one of those evil smiles that I love on good villains when he was laughing talking about "You and I are the same in a way, aren't we Edward?" So people are gonna be sad, but they're gonna be mad more than anything against Shou Tucker...
telepika
Thus emerges the true nature of FMA. You guys will get a break from the sadness after the next episode, but after Dr. Marco is discovered, the tragedy will never stop until the end. Just warning you. FMA is not a show for little kiddies. It portrays the true nature of the world, both the good side and the bad side. biggrin.gif

Was that a spoiler? I don't think it was.
ἀρχή
That was definitely not a spoiler. The appeal of the series is now presented; it shows reality of life. Life is painful and there are many pains that one must suffer. So, we can identify with the pain of the characters. The further the series goes, the more we can appreciate the happy times and empathize during the bad times. The series does a good job at portraying this.
edsgirl
It was a pretty depressing episode, but i'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. In a way I was glad that nina was put out of her misery. She was in pain after all.
suger_snake
blink.gif OMG i Cryd throw half the hole show last night it was so sad i had a dream about it after words -.-;

and when ed cry omg i just could not stop
ἀρχή
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Dec 19 2004, 08:24 PM)
In a way I was glad that nina was put out of her misery. She was in pain after all.

Think about that a bit. I find it interesting to think about putting Nina out of her misery. You want that, but you also want what Ed wants, to bring her back. If you've ever experienced loss, you'll know that that episode is very evocative. You want to find peace with the loss, but you also want your own will to have the person back the way it was. Very emotional to think about that.
suger_snake
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 19 2004, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Dec 19 2004, 08:24 PM)
In a way I was glad that nina was put out of her misery. She was in pain after all.

Think about that a bit. I find it interesting to think about putting Nina out of her misery. You want that, but you also want what Ed wants, to bring her back. If you've ever experienced loss, you'll know that that episode is very evocative. You want to find peace with the loss, but you also want your own will to have the person back the way it was. Very emotional to think about that.

out of her misrory all over that wall sad.gif *crys*
ἀρχή
now, here's the kicker. Put yourself in Nina's shoes. Imagine that you had no control over the fact that someone did this to you. How conscious was Nina of herself? You're going to have a natural desire to live, but what do you live for? It seems like a petty existence, but on the other side, she wasn't capable of understanding life/death (no understanding of the choice of suicide) and who knows if a chimera would be able to understand it. So if there wasn't any intervention, she probably would have lived on in this petty existence.
suger_snake
na i was not saying any thing agenst that but it must have been horabel for ed

poor sweat ed

and what do you think when they where talking about winry and al goes "well as a mater a fact"
Blade42
You mean when Ed is writing to his "girlfriend"? Al meant that Ed probably does like Winry...or something, I dunno. I shouldn't have even tried answering that question.
vegita625
QUOTE(telepika @ Dec 19 2004, 05:35 PM)
Thus emerges the true nature of FMA. You guys will get a break from the sadness after the next episode, but after Dr. Marco is discovered, the tragedy will never stop until the end. Just warning you. FMA is not a show for little kiddies. It portrays the true nature of the world, both the good side and the bad side. biggrin.gif

Was that a spoiler? I don't think it was.

With the small exception of a show titled "The Flame Alchemist" lol. Yes, that label did show up once in the beginning of that episode somewhere if I remember right, and the introduction right before the opening theme was changed to something like "A story about a group of people dedicated to their work, etc., etc." lol
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

Note from Quistis: NO MORE SPOILERS, PLEASE.
telepika
*Remembers the great episode 37* How could I forget about that episode. laugh.gif

Okay, okay. So there will be some breaks after Dr. Marco is discovered but the over-arching story of FMA is tragic so you dubbies better be prepared.

About episode 7, I was also traumatized when I saw it. I watched it alone in a dark room and freaked out... I couldn't look at the chimera once I found out what it was. Yes Nina was a cute little girl that I loved and she died but the fact that Tucker did that to his child... How could someone be so cold? Then I thought of Nina and how she was hurting inside. Despite these facts, I don't think it was good for her to die. Life is the most precious thing for me and if she lived, at least she had the chance of becoming human again and maybe moving on with her life. A slight chance but at least it exists. laugh.gif
Kuroi_tenshi_Anna
i cried too T_T poor Nina-chan...and just when i thought i was done crying, theres that pic of her and Alexander sleeping right at the end and i lost it again. oy.
Foolio
there is some serious over reacting going on here dry.gif
Ninie
This is a thread to post about our reaction to epsiode 7, and I'm sure the ones who posted would like to do it without being insulted because of what they felt. Good for you if you didn't feel anything. Some of us did feel something.

I had a nightmare after the first time I saw the epsiode... In fact, many FMA episodes made me so disturbing dreams... Maybe even just FMA in general, because I once dreamt about Riza, Havoc, and a spider/demon. That wasn't inspired by any epsiode... I think.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Foolio @ Dec 20 2004, 10:32 PM)
there is some serious over reacting going on here  dry.gif

That's a bit of an under-reaction, but hey, that's fine. But as ninie pointed out, it's a bit rude to state it in a thread where there is obvious emotional reaction to the episode. Some people have different triggers to their emotions than others, so it's not always a simple matter of over reacting, but rather connecting to real life issues.

My wife had a miscarriage last year and it effects me still, so this episode effects me to think that someone could conceive of hurting thier own daughter (and the fact that this type of treatment happens in real life). I wish my second daughter had survived. So I identify with the grief of this episode. Others may have similar experiences or know of similar experiences. None of that constitues an over-reaction.
vegita625
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 20 2004, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE(Foolio @ Dec 20 2004, 10:32 PM)
there is some serious over reacting going on here  dry.gif

That's a bit of an under-reaction, but hey, that's fine. But as ninie pointed out, it's a bit rude to state it in a thread where there is obvious emotional reaction to the episode. Some people have different triggers to their emotions than others, so it's not always a simple matter of over reacting, but rather connecting to real life issues.

My wife had a miscarriage last year and it effects me still, so this episode effects me to think that someone could conceive of hurting thier own daughter (and the fact that this type of treatment happens in real life). I wish my second daughter had survived. So I identify with the grief of this episode. Others may have similar experiences or know of similar experiences. None of that constitues an over-reaction.

Hmm... have you seen this series in full yet, or is the dub a first of FMA for ya?

ἀρχή
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 21 2004, 02:14 AM)
Hmm... have you seen this series in full yet, or is the dub a first of FMA for ya?

I have seen it in full. There's a lot to the series and I like how it deals with issues of life/death and pulls your emotions around. That's what life is like.

The_Full_Metal_Alchemist229
QUOTE(Kristen ~Wildkittie~ Zarathustra @ Dec 19 2004, 09:13 AM)
Oh man. I REALLY regreted watching this episode after I saw what happened. 0_o;; I tapped the episode too.

Poor Nina. I seriously broke into tears watching what happend. *gets shot because she knows it's only a cartoon*  ._.;; It gave me nightmares after I went to bed after watching it.

What was running through your mind while watching this episode? (If you saw it . . . DON'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY. 0.o'' )

I was devistated but..this is the best anime show we're talking about here.....
I still cant believe that bastard did that... grrrrr mad.gif
this show is bound to have alot of twists....but in the end ITS A EXCELLENT SHOW!
hehe
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 20 2004, 09:08 PM)

You must have some sympathy for Izumi-Sensei as well, then. ;_;
Toby-Chan
I've watched episode 7 so many times that I stopped crying (After a few dozen). However, I still feel the emotional impact.

Episode 8 actually made me cry even more. Rrgh. ::Bites tissue::
ἀρχή
To be honest, if you've lived at all, you should be able to empathize with the characters. You don't have to experience the same pains as they have, but thier pains will resonate with you.

That's why I loved this anime over many others. It really hits human experience much better than many other shows. For all you people watching CN dub version, please keep up with it and post as you experience the show. You'll find the series will touch you too.

I really enjoy hearing people talk about how the show is unfolding to them. Not to put down us sub people, but I just got here and they've seen the whole series, so there isn't the same level of mystery there. So, thank you for expressing your feelings as the show progresses, you are feeling the same way I did when I watched it. I just couldn't handle once a week, and was able to watch the whole thing (I have low impulse control tongue.gif).
Toby-Chan
It's true. FMA has much more deep raw emotional honesty and dead-realistic character development than 98% of the anime out there, including shoujo. That's what makes it such an outstanding series, especially for it's genre. While shonen anime does have some depth, the plots generally revolve around an RPGish format of fight-to-fight plot motivation, and character depth consists of mostly 'dark pasts, and reasons for wanting to fight/get some powerful thing'.
With FMA, people have their motivations not just for a certain goal, but for life in general. Plus, the plot is intricate, and unpredictable, and far beyond average, but dosent' upstage the characters emotonal plights.

And that concludes 'Why I love FMA'. happy.gif ::Sits down::
Shaman_Girl88
I watched the episode on Saturday. It was so sad. sad.gif It made me cry when I saw it.
The_Full_Metal_Alchemist229
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 21 2004, 02:12 PM)
I've watched episode 7 so many times that I stopped crying (After a few dozen).  However, I still feel the emotional impact. 

Episode 8 actually made me cry even more.  Rrgh.  ::Bites tissue::

dont spoil episode 8 i havent seen it yet it comes on this saturday....
Ailuro
QUOTE(The_Full_Metal_Alchemist229 @ Dec 21 2004, 05:21 PM)
I've watched episode 7 so many times that I stopped crying (After a few dozen).  However, I still feel the emotional impact. 

Actually next Saturday. tongue.gif

But yeah, episode 8..

^ Not really a spoiler.
ἀρχή

The above is an Episode 8 spoiler, please do not read if you don't want to be spoiled - You have been warned!
vegita625
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Dec 21 2004, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE(The_Full_Metal_Alchemist229 @ Dec 21 2004, 05:21 PM)

Actually next Saturday. tongue.gif

Yea, I love having digital cable, I checked ahead, none of the Toonami or Adult Swim shows are being shown, although Read or Die will be playing, I believe at 11pm. At least they're only temporarily replacing those animes, and with a good movie, too.
Brewerm593
My dropped open at the end of the episode. ohmy.gif I just couldn't believe what I had witnessed. I got into the episode and the time flew by. I mean he lived with her and the dog for months and months. They would all play together.
Plus he is the one who encouraged him to create something like that canary, two years back. So he probably feels guily for what happened. Or when he saw the lady who was murdered, who looked like his mom.
Than he blacked out and started screaming, "MOM! I'M SORRY!" That episode is my favorite episode so far. I cannot wait till the next episode. I remember hearing from the preview of the next episode, that they thought they could do nothing but actually they can.
Another sad thing about this is that there will not be another episode on adult swim this week [on Christmas Day]. They will be playing those two movies, Read or Die, and the Animatrix. I much rather see Full Metal Alchemist.
Morkai
I was just reading through this, so I decided to post, Im not a member of these boards, but I think I'll sign up soon after this. Anyways reading about all this reminded me of that episode. Honestly after watching it I did not think I could continue watching the show, I stopped watching the subbed episodes for about 4 days. I did not cry, but I did feel like crying, it was a really sad and disturbing episode. It still depresses me even now.
Paige the soul alchemist
When I saw what happend to Nina, what her father had done to her my body started shaking uncontriibly, and I also started crying when I saw what happend to nina at the end of the ep. It was like...some of the things Edo-kun was felling was transferd to me. Are ther others that had this happen?
telepika
Yeah that episode was very touching... But surprisingly...

I'm trying to get my mom into FMA. She likes Inuyasha, well a little too much, so I wanted to get her into something I like. I thought FMA would be an easy show to get obsessed about because... well, it's FMA. Apparently I'm mistaken or my mom's too obsessed about Inuyasha to give FMA a fair chance because so far she thinks FMA has no humor, no plot, and no romance and is a kid's show. I realize this is shocking. (I don't know what in the world's wrong with my mother *Shakes head*).

Well, I showed her episode 7 to prove that FMA isn't a kid's series and show the great power of FMA which arche and Toby-chan both so beautifully described. After the episode, she gave me this weird face then shook her head as she walked away... She probably thinks FMA's too depressing now or she likes FMA and is too stubborn to say it... I don't know. Parents are strange!!!
ἀρχή
I'm sorry to hear that telepika. I think that the show goes beyond typical anime, so that may be part of the issue. It may require an openness to accept it and give it time. The series is one of the funniest, saddest and tension filled series I've seen.

Perhaps we can all work together to convert her over to FMA Fandom smile.gif.
fmalchemist
I almost cried during that episode. I couldn't yell at the T.V since my parents were in bed but I kept thinking. "His own daughter." For some reason I don't cry often during T.V shows. only Wolf's Rain successfully made me cry. Mainly because I realy liked on of the characters. Anyway, I did find it very sad.
~~Monk Chaser
OMG SO FREAKING SAD!!! And please don't insult Inuyasha! I'm also obsessed with it! HOW COULD THAT BASTARD DO THAT TO NINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She was so sweet and innocent and had an EVIL DAD!!!! I wanted to cry but my mom + bro were in the room so I didn't... lol your mom loves anime?? I can barely get mine to say the word anime and my brother doesn't see the difference between anime and cartoons...I'm on Adult Swim so please no spoilers! I hate the way adult swim runs the schedule but I love the shows... like I really wanted to see "Jaken's plan to steal the Tetsusaiga" in Inuyasha but then they had to put on Read Or Die (which was great by the way) and Animatrix (which SUCKED!!). I think they should change their name to "anime swim" because that's really all they play! There's only like 3 series left that are made by adult swim (Sealab, ATHF and Harvey Birdman are all I can think of right now), then there's a few from fox (Family Guy and Futurma) then Venture Bros. and the rest is anime! I also hate how they keep changing the schedule. By the way, any Sealab or Inuyasha fans here? And did anyone see Perfect Hair Forever? They BETTER MAKE IT A SERIES!! Sorry about the ramblings.. i talk too much and I get off subject easily.. Anyway I love Inuyasha but it just doesn't touch you like FMA does.

~~Monk Chaser
p.s. Telikpa, I love your little Kenshin cartoon at the bottom of your posts! Kawaii!
thehunted
HOW CAN SOMEONE DO THAT TO THEIR OWN FAMILY I MEAN COME ON!!!!!!!!! THAT IS BEYOND WRONG! also how can adult swim allow those movies again i mean the anime is so much more important because we have already seen them i want more FMA it is even better than Inu Yasha and i loved that show!
kungfustickman
QUOTE(~~Monk Chaser @ Dec 22 2004, 09:08 PM)
I can barely get mine to say the word anime and my brother doesn't see the difference between anime and cartoons...

Amen to that and I'm glad you like anime. Mmmm that Tucker character is pretty evil eh. I still think he is the evilest character in the series. Mmm glad tht you are enjoying the show. cool.gif Before we watch a movie my dad once asked if it was some animated thing. He slept throught the Cowboy Bebop Movie. blink.gif And he slept through episode 7 with Nina. blink.gif Will they ever learn....

Edit:

Wow. Some people feel very.. passionate.. about this episode. Just wait 'till later episodes. They'll be throwing fits.

Har har har so true..... Grrr resisting the urge to spoil. Although this episode was a real wake up call for this anime. After this episode I organized my FMA into neat folders (with proper lables) or in the case of adult swim viewers (neat little VHS tapes with detailed lables.)
Ailuro
Wow. Some people feel very.. passionate.. about this episode. Just wait 'till later episodes. They'll be throwing fits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.