Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Hate?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Ninie
Okay, there's a question for AS viewers: Why do you all hate Roy? Many of us dub Roy fans liked him from the start. Why do you hate him after seeing only 3 episodes with him?
hitokiri
i'm tellin you its the voice, freakin it makes him sound sadistic and kinda like a pedophile....
Izumimon
But he's so LOVEABLE--!

Poor Roy! ohmy.gif
xrninja
the impression i'm getting is that the haters hate roy for tricking their dear sweet ed, even though all the tricking was done for ed's own good. "but even if roy hadn't tricked him and ed wouldn't be a state alchemist otherwise, roy shouldn't have been so mean and tricked him! poor ed!"
hitokiri
yes there does seem to be a higher level of fangirl-ness in this recent batch of AS members.... just look at the char discussion thread, there's almost nothing left but ed worshipping...and i don't know about you but "I LUV ED SO MUCH!!!!!!" being repeated over and over hardly seems like a discussion to me
Prinz_Zoisit
i don't hate Roy, but i don't like him, too, cause he is just the typical anime guy...^^;; without anything special in his character...
GuestHole
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 17 2004, 01:38 AM)
and i don't know about you but "I LUV ED SO MUCH!!!!!!" being repeated over and over hardly seems like a discussion to me

But there are a thousand different ways to discuss how one luvs Ed.
lime_chan_the_wannabe_alchemist
I like Roy sad.gif ,why must they hate him......
Tsutomu Saishuu
You know he even HELPED Ed too, and yet they hate him?
Elderberry
I agree! Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Taisa, but I still admire his abilities... happy.gif It makes me kind of scared to think of what Envy-bashing and Wrath-bashing will be like...*shudders* sad.gif
hitokiri
i hate wrath but my hate for him has nothing to do with his interpersonal relationship with ed.... i just don't like how much of a unk ass bitch he is... and honestly by the end of the series i started to really like envy, especially in ep 51.
Darkmetal Alchemist
Why you ask, simple mustang is a cocky manipulating bastard
Foolio
if you can kill a couple of hard working doctors just because you were ordered to, you suck in my eyes. no more to say.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Foolio @ Dec 17 2004, 08:39 PM)
Dein Glück
ist nicht mein Glück
ist mein Unglück

that's what logic says...
Foolio
aint it great tongue.gif
Kihaku
Oh come on guys, everyone is a little manipulative at times tongue.gif
And Foolio, did you pay much attention to that part? He didn't exactly enjoy it....
besides:
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
Foolio
im aware that he didnt enjoy it and that he deeply regrets it, but still...i dunno i was never just a big fan of him
hitokiri
also have you see the flashbacks in ep 25?

Foolio
yes (im up to 48 as a side note). maybe the series would have been better if he had just pulled the trigger, eh? nah, i cant really describe why i dont like him. its a mix between killing the docs, being to cocky, and nailing Riza in the backround (you know somethings going on with them 2).
Prinz_Zoisit
aint it great tongue.gif

depends...
Shirei
I don't hate Roy at all, but I haven't seen the dubbed. Frankily, I'm scared of dubbed, because they usually screw up their voices. Thats why I looove subbed. <3~ He's pretty cool, not to mention...hott as boiling water. Ouch..that would hurt, wouldn't it...? tongue.gif
hagane_no_tokage
i love roy... i think he's a great character, with a multi-faceted personality that is just so much fun to try and comprehend... the problem is, no matter how much i try, i just can't find that great persona coming thru in the dub. his voice is just aaaall wrong. i hated it the moment i heard it, and i've even given it a few second chances, thinking maybe it would get better with more episodes...but it hasn't. and it's amazing how much a voice brings to a person. imagine darth vader with woody allen's voice. ridiculous, huh? that's what we're seeing with roy here... we're looking for a lion, and we're getting an ant.

he just sounds...flat. when roy's being serious, oogawa tohru brings such depth into the voice of the character. he sounds noble and comanding, and demands a level of respect without verbal request. in the dub, he sounds bored, like he'd rather be snoozing at his desk than giving ed and al a lecture about why either one of them should become state alchemists. when roy is being sarcastic, his voice has a bite to it that tells you there's a real smartass under that polished exterior, but in the dub, he just sounds like a moron. i am terrified what is going to become of the scene with buraha. ohmy.gif

so it's not roy that we hate... we LOVE roy, he's the best taisa we could ask for... now all we ask is that his english voice do his character justice...and we've yet to receive.
Foolio
his dubbed voice definatly sucks, i cant find a word to describe it but bad. his og voice really makes him sound alot better.
Nemu
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Dec 17 2004, 04:52 AM)
i don't hate Roy, but i don't like him, too, cause he is just the typical anime guy...^^;; without anything special in his character...

How much of the series have you seen so far? Oo;
Shirei
I only saw ep. 1-8...but my sister has the rest, so I have to get caught up.
Nemu
I was talking about the one that said Roy was just a simple anime character with not much of a personality.

Psh.

I am offended. I have to admit that I thought this too but near ep 13 and onward I started to see that even that bastard has personality. =3
Queen of the dammed
After that I found him to be a HOT bastard..... biggrin.gif 'Cmon guys, give him more time!!!!! He'll sink into you!!!!
telepika
Why are all you sub viewers here? Go away or hide. Otherwise you'll scare away the dub viewers.

Hi dub viewers. Don't be scared. Voice your opinions!!! And please use concrete reasons and not just "Roy's hurting my poor believed Ed!!!" laugh.gif

[Although I'm more of an Ed fan then a Roy fan, I think you should give Roy another chance. You see you wouldn't be doing FMA justice if you don't acknowledge each character's complexity. Try to understand each character's situation and please be forgiving of their actions. Each character of FMA has a dark past they are not proud of, including Ed.]
Nemu
Heed telepika's words. They are so true.

You know, the first thing I ever saw of FMA (i've only watched subbed, I live in Holland, we don't get dub here... YET. >.> But they'll catch onto the new hype in the US soon enough. They've done it with Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball Z (oh dear god), YuGiOh...) anyway the first thing I ever saw was a very smirking Roy.

My friend had downloaded the subs as soon as they came out and she was at I don't know... episode 13? She showed me the end of episode 5, to show me what kind of a sneaky bastard that guy is, and how cool his alchemy was.

At first I thought he was a complete ass, being so mean to that "blond boy" and all, but it was only very amusing really. Then I watched the series and really came to like Roy.

Cause after all, he's a very lovable, cool, kickass kind of bastard. XD

Oh, and besides. Ed's not exactly a little angel either. >D Luckily. I would not have liked him if he were a really sweet guy.
Queen of the dammed
Here Dubbies dubbies dubbies...... Don't worry, my sister hates Roy too.... even though she's watched all the eps and chapters......
hitokiri
QUOTE(telepika @ Dec 18 2004, 03:59 AM)
Why are all you sub viewers here? Go away or hide. Otherwise you'll scare away the dub viewers.

i think we're all here for the same reason that the dub viewers seem to show up out of nowhere and start defending/loving ed/al/whoever.

[side note: i swear if i meet another random "hohenheim is an asshole, even i though i have no idea of who he is and i havent seen him in the series yet" person.......]
Ninie
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 18 2004, 10:35 AM)
[side note: i swear if i meet another random "hohenheim is an asshole, even i though i have no idea of who he is and i havent seen him in the series yet" person.......]

There are people just heard of him somewhere, and they already hate him?

<---- Likes Hohenheim

Yes, come, dub people! We won't eat you, even if you hate Roy!
Nemu
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 18 2004, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE(telepika @ Dec 18 2004, 03:59 AM)

i think we're all here for the same reason that the dub viewers seem to show up out of nowhere and start defending/loving ed/al/whoever.

GOD, I can understand what you're getting at.

I'm not letting the dubbies scare me away dammit. FINALLY a place to talk about stuff, and I'm having fun here!

Also, we subbies should not leave.

There's SO many questions about characters that the subbies should just refrain from spoilering, and keep answering all those questions for the dubbies.

We are NEEDED.

PS. I can imagine you would be annoyed with or dislike Roy, or feel threatened by his presence in the story, but really HATE? Nah. It's near impossible.
Foolio
eheh, yes hate is a stong word, really really dislike is more of the term.

(one phrase i hate more than death and public speaking is coming outta my mouth, strange)
RoyxRiza BigFan
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Dec 17 2004, 08:04 PM)
Oh come on guys, everyone is a little manipulative at times tongue.gif
And Foolio, did you pay much attention to that part? He didn't exactly enjoy it....
besides:
that was only in the anime... Roy wasn't the culprit in the manga

how true he may be cocky (yes but he is very good at acting out), manipulative (duh! how does he score with so many chicks! he even bag the first prize by the end of the series- opss O0O should not have say that)! but a bastard? come on almost every anime character can be a bastard (well for males that is.. rolleyes.gif ) and those anime gals would be bitches is it? rolleyes.gif
Kihaku
Yeah... and it's mostly the "cool guys" who have "the bastard side".
For example Vegeta from DBZ tongue.gif But anyway... I don't think Roy is "a bastard" type at all... because if he was... I doubt he'd have so many girls/women after him tongue.gif In my opinion he's very caring, loyal and unselfish.. not much of a bastard type, or? tongue.gif Roy haters, you could check the Roy-thread for the great list of his great qualities that we came up with biggrin.gif Maybe you could change your mind.....?
telepika: I liked what you said! Exactly that!
But hmm... I'm not going to run away and hide tongue.gif
Don't worry dub viewers! I honour your opinion so long as you state it properly.
Of course I'll like to argue with that, but don't be afraid! *hides lightning staff behind her back*
Queen of the dammed
We're open to opinion.... Stae your Argument and present your proof..... We might have a nice debate....(BUT USE PROPER ENGLISH WITH CAPITALS, CONNAS, FULLSTOPS AND DON'T JUST USE THE SMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif )
kungfustickman
QUOTE(Darkmetal Alchemist @ Dec 17 2004, 12:23 PM)
Why you ask, simple mustang is a cocky manipulating bastard

That's what some people thought at first. Oh well wait and see.
Kirara
Um I am a little lost I have not seen anyone say that they hate Roy. How can someone already determine they hate a character who barely has had a part yet. I admit from reading the manga I am more of an Ed fan, but I do love Roy. I love all the good guys.

And I think we should refrain from labeling ourselves and Dubbies and Subbies. I feel it just seperates fans. Besides I am jealous of all the people who got to see the subs and got to watch the show without the fear of being spoiled.
BakaOnna
i like Roy A LOT better in the manga. he's cooler in the manga and does some very interesting things.... that i won't mention cuz i'll ruin it for the ppl who's still reading the manga. as for the anime.... he's alright.... and i have seen the whole sub version... and i still think he's alright.
angieness
I personally never disliked him, he's not my favorite but he is up there! At work we got in the trading arts figures (suncoast for you people wanting to flock out and buy them XD)we already sold out of Edward but alas poor Roy has only been bought once and that was by me cause I bought one of each
Kihaku
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 18 2004, 07:09 PM)
AND DON'T JUST USE THE SMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif )

What's wrong with the smilies????? blink.gif

But anyway... I also prefer manga Roy to anime Roy. At the moment anyway(not that there is really much difference.I prefer the way he's drawn in the anime though). His character seems deeper... I think. And he's funnier too tongue.gif
Ryan227
Hey I've only been watching the dub and I've liked Roy since the first time it showed him tongue.gif At first is voice did sound a little odd but now I'm used to it. He's not my favorite character but I don't hate him, I don't even dislike him. I think it's obvious why so many dub people would be Ed or Al fans after the first three episodes, I mean they're the main characters and they got the most development so you feel like you know them best so you like them best. Ed was my favorite character at the beginning and I still like him but he's not my favorite anymore. Not every dub fan hates Roy and loves Ed!

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I can't spell and I'm lazy sad.gif
Nemu
QUOTE(Kirara @ Dec 19 2004, 08:16 AM)
Um I am a little lost I have not seen anyone say that hate Roy. How can someone already determine they hate a character who barely has had a part yet. I admit from reading the manga I am more of an Ed fan, but I do love Roy. I love all the good guys.

And I think we should refrain from labeling ourselves and Dubbies and Subbies. I feel it just seperates fans. Besides I am jealous of all the people who got to see the subs and got to watch the show without the fear of being spoiled.

Well~... I had friends who managed to download the eps earlier sometimes, and they kept spoilering shit, or almost-spoilering actually.

Lucky nothing much had been spoilered...
Kirara
Well~... I had friends who managed to download the eps earlier sometimes, and they kept spoilering shit, or almost-spoilering actually.

Oh I have been spoiled quite a bit too. All accidentally of course. I downloaded an AMV the other day which claimed it had no spoilers, but of course it did (luckily that was one I already knew). It's just so hard not to be spoiled when you want to find out as much as you can but everywhere you look there are spoilers sad.gif.
Shinsei Kage
Aw, I like Roy! He's cool! But, uh, a lot of people have said that the manga Roy is better than the anime Roy. I've only seen the manga, so...care to explain why? And with no anime spoilers, if possible?
Foolio
was anyone else pissed off when he didnt die in the end? i wanted nearly everyone to, itd be like a uber-Bebop ending.
Queen of the dammed
Not really, I mean then the ending would be even more disapointing... (HE NEEDS TO BE IN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!)
About the smiley thing, I meant something like this:
mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif sad.gif mad.gif ph34r.gif mad.gif ph34r.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
That sort of thing...
hitokiri
QUOTE(Foolio @ Dec 19 2004, 04:50 PM)
was anyone else pissed off when he didnt die in the end? i wanted nearly everyone to, itd be like a uber-Bebop ending.

but then there would be no apple feeding......
Queen of the dammed
Us fangirls would attack the Bones HQ if they did kill Roy....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.