Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jazz
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Music
ἀρχή
Anyone into Jazz of any style or type?

I enjoy bop ('45's-'50's). Theloneous Monk is one of my favorites. He could make a phenomenal solo with just a few off time/color hits - quite insightful. There are tons of others that I like, but just thought I'd start the ball rolling.
Quistis88
I like ballads and some swing tunes. Acid Jazz is also nice, as well as latin stuff. I used to play in a Jazz Band and I had some good times there. Classics like stuff by the Duke and Count Basie never gets old. biggrin.gif
ἀρχή
I agree about Duke & Basie. The first swing I was introduced to hearing was Benny Goodman.
Thievesvinegar
The only time i hear jazz is in a store or an elevator or when i'm skimming thorugh the radio and find a good song on. Good stuff.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Dec 21 2004, 07:45 PM)
The only time i hear jazz is in a store or an elevator or when i'm skimming thorugh the radio and find a good song on. Good stuff.

You're a real aficionado, then...
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 15 2004, 04:41 PM)
I agree about Duke & Basie. The first swing I was introduced to hearing was Benny Goodman.

Benny Goodman is some darn good swing. biggrin.gif Pity I can't find very many mp3s of his recordings though, and I'm too cheap to buy a CD from the local music store.

What other Jazz artists does everyone listen to? I've been listening to a lot of Jazz again as of late and I would like to expand my horizons. biggrin.gif
ἀρχή
Dave Brubeck is great. He's the first to use non-standard time measurments in Jazz regularly. Also he's part of the Cool Jazz movement, so it's more accessible to most people.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I like older jazz I'm really not into the newer jazz they play on easy listening stations. I like Billie Holiday and Charlie Parker among others. I'm not a huge fan of the genre but I do enjoy the older stuff.
ἀρχή
When I was in college, my roomate had a tape from George Benson. I don't know what song it was, but the organ player sucked. We both thought that he must have been a friend of the family who pressured George into letting him do a solo on one track laugh.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
laugh.gif

I'll bet you this here state alchemist watch that him being family is exactly what happened.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 15 2005, 01:37 PM)
I like older jazz I'm really not into the newer jazz they play on easy listening stations. I like Billie Holiday and Charlie Parker among others. I'm not a huge fan of the genre but I do enjoy the older stuff.

Billie Holiday is cool. biggrin.gif Though I think I might prefer Ella Fitzgerald. Oldies are goodies. The new things aren't too bad, but I still prefer the sound that Jazz had back then.

QUOTE(arche @ Jun 15 2005, 01:41 PM)
When I was in college, my roomate had a tape from George Benson. I don't know what song it was, but the organ player sucked. We both thought that he must have been a friend of the family who pressured George into letting him do a solo on one track laugh.gif

Horrible solos really can ruin a good song. laugh.gif I'm curious to hear what that organ solo sounds like.

I dug up a recording of my high school Jazz band. biggrin.gif I played a piano solo in it, so I thought maybe I could share. See if I sound anything like the organ solo. laugh.gif The song is "Riverscape", composed by Fred Strum. Some notes may sound a little harsh, but I was told to play louder. biggrin.gif

[attachment removed to make room]
Elderberry
Whee, lovely music! happy.gif *still hyper* I liked your piano solo, Quistis-sama! smile.gif I..possess no instrumental talent...so all I can do is screech piercing notes...laugh.gif|||

(Actually, I dropped by and listened before you sent me the PM, but I forgot to comment...happy.gif;;;)
ἀρχή
That was a much better solo than the organist laugh.gif

Soloing like that is tough because you have to worry a lot about phrasing to keep it interesting as well as what notes your playing. If you're not careful, you get too conscious about what you're playing and then you're just hitting everything wrong.

I liked your solo. It seemed like you had a few resolution issues here and there, but it worked out because resolution can be more loose in jazz. I was just waiting for you to start ripping up some 7th arpeggios laugh.gif Then again, this is a slower song. I have a tendency to play fast and intense regardless of pace of a song unsure.gif

::Edit:: If I get the guts, I'll try to record a short snippet I wrote years ago and only remember half of it now.
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jun 15 2005, 05:20 PM)
That was a much better solo than the organist laugh.gif

Oh, thank goodness. laugh.gif

Soloing like that is tough because you have to worry a lot about phrasing to keep it interesting as well as what notes your playing. If you're not careful, you get too conscious about what you're playing and then you're just hitting everything wrong.

Yes, you are right. I find that if I concentrate too much on what notes I can/should play, I always have a bigger chance of playing a wrong one. If I don't think about it and just let my fingers fly to wherever they want to go, the result is much better.

I liked your solo. It seemed like you had a few resolution issues here and there, but it worked out because resolution can be more loose in jazz. I was just waiting for you to start ripping up some 7th arpeggios laugh.gif Then again, this is a slower song. I have a tendency to play fast and intense regardless of pace of a song  unsure.gif

I was a little nervous during the recording so I forgot about resolving. laugh.gif I'd play arpeggios but my band director always taught us that less is more, and repeating the same note over again in a creative manner can sound better than complicated solos.

::Edit:: If I get the guts, I'll try to record a short snippet I wrote years ago and only remember half of it now.

I want to hear arche on the piano. ohmy.gif
Elderberry
QUOTE(Quistis-sama)
I'd like to hear arche-sensei as well. laugh.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Jun 15 2005, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE(Quistis-sama)
I'd like to hear arche-sensei as well. laugh.gif
[snapback]192787[/snapback]

Yeah me too, bust out that sheetmusic and tape recorder Arche. laugh.gif

Ohh very nice Quistis. So very talented on the piano you are.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 15 2005, 06:49 PM)
Yeah me too, bust out that sheetmusic and tape recorder Arche. laugh.gif

I bet arche doesn't even need sheet music. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 15 2005, 06:49 PM)
Ohh very nice Quistis. So very talented on the piano you are.

Ahh, thank you. smile.gif I'm not all too good on improvised solos though. I do better when there is a written guide to follow, and I change it up a little bit.
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jun 15 2005, 07:50 PM)
Here, I sat down at the keyboard and just played. This is the type of stuff I play when I just want to play and not care about what I'm playing. It gets very rough, but has some moments of actual coherence tongue.gif.

Personally, I quite like it. It sounds like lounge music at some point. laugh.gif It gets better as it goes on, and I like the chords you use, especially in the 1:07-1:15 and 3:15-3:25 segments.

Don't be too critical. I didn't even look at the keys when I played. I typically just feel my way around. Since I haven't played in a while, I'm not up to playing anything structured and make it sound good tongue.gif.

Pretty good job for not looking at your keys. You do some pretty fast finger work. I want a husband who can play stuff like this one day, and I'll force ask him to play night and day every once in a while.

After listening to this again, it sucks tongue.gif. It's also long and it sucks sad.gif, so be warned! I wouldn't have even posted it except that I figured Quis posted something, I should.

Peer pressure, eh? biggrin.gif It did not suck. How did you record it though?
Elderberry
Arche-sensei, I liked it. happy.gif Then again, I have like no musical talent, so I can't critique it on anything. But it was fun to listen to, the entire 4+ minutes...tongue.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jun 15 2005, 10:05 PM)
Personally, I quite like it.  It sounds like lounge music at some point.  laugh.gif  It gets better as it goes on, and I like the chords you use, especially in the 1:07-1:15 and 3:15-3:25 segments.

Thank you. Yes it's loungy tongue.gif. I did keep with a general rhythm scheme, but varied a lot overall. I love using chromatics and altering chord qualities. I've become comfortable memorizing the intervals with my hands so I can hit No 3 7ths and alter from there.
Pretty good job for not looking at your keys.  You do some pretty fast finger work.  I want a husband who can play stuff like this one day, and I'll force ask him to play night and day every once in a while.

My teacher stressed velocity when I was starting out, so I can rip up and down very fast. I actually didn't go as fast as I can in this piece because my fingers are tight. One of my favorite things to do is play is a half diminished scale with the half diminished chord underneath it. It has a nice sound and then resolves well into a 7th of the same chord (i.e. C half Dim to C7)
Peer pressure, eh?  biggrin.gif  It did not suck.  How did you record it though?

I have a full sized keyboard, which is basically an electric piano. I put a disk in it and then hit record while playing. I had to finagle getting it converted over to a midi file, but fortunately I could.

As you can tell, I enjoy riding the pedal laugh.gif I guess I like the dissonance created with sustaining notes and the resolution when the sustain is ended. It's used too much, but hey, I can't break the habit yet tongue.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jun 15 2005, 08:27 PM)
Thank you. Yes it's loungy tongue.gif. I did keep with a general rhythm scheme, but varied a lot overall. I love using chromatics and altering chord qualities. I've become comfortable memorizing the intervals with my hands so I can hit No 3 7ths and alter from there.

Wow, that's quite good. smile.gif I don't know why, but I have trouble with chord transitions. I never really use both hands when soloing, so I get so confused when I try to add the other hand with the chords.

My teacher stressed velocity when I was starting out, so I can rip up and down very fast. I actually didn't go as fast as I can in this piece because my fingers are tight. One of my favorite things to do is play is a half diminished scale with the half diminished chord underneath it. It has a nice sound and then resolves well into a 7th of the same chord (i.e. C half Dim to C7)

Ahh, I see. You can go faster? May we hear? I like half diminished and seventh chords as well, though I'm more likely to use the latter.

I have a full sized keyboard, which is basically an electric piano. I put a disk in it and then hit record while playing. I had to finagle getting it converted over to a midi file, but fortunately I could.

Very nice equipment you got there. biggrin.gif One day I'll have to move my piano into my room or something so I can record a thing or two. rolleyes.gif

As you can tell, I enjoy riding the pedal laugh.gif I guess I like the dissonance created with sustaining notes and the resolution when the sustain is ended. It's used too much, but hey, I can't break the habit yet tongue.gif

I like riding the pedal, too. ohmy.gif I was allowed to do that all the time in Jazz band and got used to it as well, so I am always reprimanded for my bad pedal work during my piano lessons (unfortunately, my piano teacher only does classical).

Don't break the habit if you continue playing Jazz. It could be a nice habit to have. smile.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jun 15 2005, 10:37 PM)
Wow, that's quite good.  smile.gif  I don't know why, but I have trouble with chord transitions.  I never really use both hands when soloing, so I get so confused when I try to add the other hand with the chords.

When I'm doing more structured stuff, I find it hard to do both hands also mostly because of rhythm issues. I'm not very good doing anything meaningful with my left hand except block chords or octaves.
Ahh, I see.  You can go faster?  May we hear?  I like half diminished and seventh chords as well, though I'm more likely to use the latter.

I'll have to actually practice for a bit to get my velocity up more. I can go much faster more consistantly when I regularly practice my Hannon excercises and scales. It would probably take me a month of regular practice to get my velocity up to 3/4ths what it was when I was in high school.
Very nice equipment you got there.  biggrin.gif  One day I'll have to move my piano into my room or something so I can record a thing or two.  rolleyes.gif

Or get a very long chord for a mic biggrin.gif
I like riding the pedal, too.  ohmy.gif  I was allowed to do that all the time in Jazz band and got used to it as well, so I am always reprimanded for my bad pedal work during my piano lessons (unfortunately, my piano teacher only does classical).

Don't break the habit if you continue playing Jazz.  It could be a nice habit to have.  smile.gif
[snapback]192879[/snapback]

My teacher was a professional jazz musician in RI. Guitar was his primary instrument, but he was still phenomenal with his worst instrument, the piano. He liked classical piano and guitar as well as jazz. His son told me that when he practiced in his living room while his son had on music videos, his father would copy the guitar solos without ever hearing them before. He was very good at understanding what others would play.

That's where I fail. I'm not as good at hearing others play and mixing in with them. I have a tendancy to be very loose and willing to make tons of mistakes. I find the mistakes to be part of the value at times especially when playing a jazzy style. I just wish I could get into all the standards but I just don't take the time to practice all the chords in all keys with all qualities to be perfect with any key at any time sad.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jun 15 2005, 08:54 PM)
When I'm doing more structured stuff, I find it hard to do both hands also mostly because of rhythm issues. I'm not very good doing anything meaningful with my left hand except block chords or octaves.

But at least you use that left hand for more than single bass notes. biggrin.gif

I'll have to actually practice for a bit to get my velocity up more. I can go much faster more consistantly when I regularly practice my Hannon excercises and scales. It would probably take me a month of regular practice to get my velocity up to 3/4ths what it was when I was in high school.

You must have been quite the virtuoso, eh? I haven't done my Hanon in a while. I generally don't like them very much. mellow.gif But if it helps, I have no choice.

Or get a very long chord for a mic biggrin.gif

Hmm, that, too. Well, I'll look around. The only recordings I can make until then are on the flute or my voice. If I sing a song, will arche also sing a song? laugh.gif

My teacher was a professional jazz musician in RI. Guitar was his primary instrument, but he was still phenomenal with his worst instrument, the piano. He liked classical piano and guitar as well as jazz. His son told me that when he practiced in his living room while his son had on music videos, his father would copy the guitar solos without ever hearing them before. He was very good at understanding what others would play.

Ahh, those people seem like prodigies most of the time. Very good ear, and probably has perfect pitch.

That's where I fail. I'm not as good at hearing others play and mixing in with them. I have a tendancy to be very loose and willing to make tons of mistakes. I find the mistakes to be part of the value at times especially when playing a jazzy style. I just wish I could get into all the standards but I just don't take the time to practice all the chords in all keys with all qualities to be perfect with any key at any time  sad.gif

Like Art Tatum once said, "There is no such thing as a wrong note." biggrin.gif But I have a tendency to not want to "mess up", so I follow the Count Basie motto of "if you find a note tonight that sounds good, play the same damn note every night."
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jun 15 2005, 11:07 PM)
You must have been quite the virtuoso, eh?  I haven't done my Hanon in a while.  I generally don't like them very much.  mellow.gif  But if it helps, I have no choice.

Well, I sacrificed repetoire for technique when I was studying piano. That basically meant that I didn't do as much actual classical pieces. But when I'm loose, I can fake things much better and I don't worry as much about what notes I hit. When I'm not loose, I get uptight about what I'm hitting and I can't get myself out of trouble as easily. I'm not a naturally talented person like most people I know who play instruments.

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jun 15 2005, 11:07 PM)
Hmm, that, too.  Well, I'll look around.  The only recordings I can make until then are on the flute or my voice.  If I sing a song, will arche also sing a song?  laugh.gif

Not on your life! You'll never hear me sing dry.gif.

A greate vocal jazz is Lambert, Hendrix and Ross. I highly recomend them. They're from the Bop era and is just awesome.
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jun 16 2005, 06:37 AM)
Well, I sacrificed repetoire for technique when I was studying piano. That basically meant that I didn't do as much actual classical pieces. But when I'm loose, I can fake things much better and I don't worry as much about what notes I hit. When I'm not loose, I get uptight about what I'm hitting and I can't get myself out of trouble as easily. I'm not a naturally talented person like most people I know who play instruments.

Ahh, that's quite good. I am a contrary case: my technique isn't all that good. I'm sure that comes in rather handy, the faking things bit. biggrin.gif

Not on your life! You'll never hear me sing dry.gif.

. . . what about your daughter? biggrin.gif I demand more recordings from your end of things. This is a Jazz thread, and although discussion is always good, I think Jazz needs to be played and heard.

A greate vocal jazz is Lambert, Hendrix and Ross. I highly recomend them. They're from the Bop era and is just awesome.

I've heard Hendrix before and I quite like it. Haven't heard the other two though, but I'll see if I can download anything. I've been madly downloading some Django Reinhardt these days. laugh.gif

ADDITIONAL POST:

I found a microphone extension cord today, so I was able to make a short recording. My technique probably sucks badly, but . . . yeah. This is the FFVIII Piano Collections arrangement of the song "Shuffle & Boogie". Have fun listening, and please critique if you can. Maybe I could do some recordings for the Classical thread, too. laugh.gif

[attachment removed to make room]
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I'm slow but I get there. That was good Arche!

EKE is right it does sound like music I would hear in a lounge but that's not a bad thing. laugh.gif

Again Quistis, very nice.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 27 2005, 04:40 PM)
I'm slow but I get there. That was good Arche!

Thanks.

Quis, I'll listen to yours a bit later. I've got some music playing now and don't feel like changing it (nothing bumps New Order on my computer laugh.gif).

:edit:

I listened to the piece Quis smile.gif. That must be fun to play. It's got a lot of freedom areas to branch out to play on some hackneyed minor pentatonics as I would probably do laugh.gif

I recently saved one of my fake book sessions. I guess I'll put it up here when I get the file exported.

:edit2:

Here's the piece. It's Unforgetable played very loosely. For some reason I made a lot of pauses, which I'm not sure why. Either I felt at the time it was what I wanted to do or I was fishing laugh.gif The harmonic structure is pretty loose also as I didn't like the fake book's chord presentation. I didn't prep this, so it's fairly raw, but I have very little tolerance to polish anything anyway (hence why I don't play with other people - I have no interest in making what I play sound perfect).
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Jul 3 2005, 02:08 PM)
I listened to the piece Quis smile.gif. That must be fun to play. It's got a lot of freedom areas to branch out to play on some hackneyed minor pentatonics as I would probably do laugh.gif

Yes, it is quite fun. Would you like the sheet music to it? biggrin.gif I bet you can do a much better job of it than I can.

Here's the piece. It's Unforgetable played very loosely. For some reason I made a lot of pauses, which I'm not sure why. Either I felt at the time it was what I wanted to do or I was fishing laugh.gif

I thought the pauses was you exercising your artistic license. laugh.gif

The harmonic structure is pretty loose also as I didn't like the fake book's chord presentation. I didn't prep this, so it's fairly raw, but I have very little tolerance to polish anything anyway (hence why I don't play with other people - I have no interest in making what I play sound perfect).

I really like it, it's quite calming and beautiful. This shall go on my playlist as well. smile.gif Nice work, sir arche.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Jul 9 2005, 03:28 PM)
Yes, it is quite fun.  Would you like the sheet music to it?  biggrin.gif  I bet you can do a much better job of it than I can.

I'd love the sheet music for it.
I thought the pauses was you exercising your artistic license.  laugh.gif

Ah, yes, that's it...artistic license unsure.gif
I really like it, it's quite calming and beautiful.  This shall go on my playlist as well.  smile.gif  Nice work, sir arche.
[snapback]208915[/snapback]

I'm honored smile.gif
Hugh the Hit Man
I played in the Jazz Band back in High school. We did a recording last year of our "Best of 2006" It was pretty cool. Although I wasn't the best soloist, I soloed all the time. Guess thats what happens where you're the lead tenor. Oh, well.... I still think that Jazz is the greatest music on the planet!
Envy II
I love jazz! I love playing it and listening to it. I'm not really fond of the newer jazz, or smooth jazz, though. It's the older 1920s to 1950s jazz that I like.
Alchemist_of_frost
jazz is the best fourm of music ever invented every aspect of my life has somthing to do with it. the only podcasts i have are of jazz and i play the alto sax.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.