Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 43 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Hikari no Hohenheim
43 is the last one released
Queen of the dammed
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Jan 17 2005, 07:23 PM)
*starts a "WE WANT ROY!" picket line with kasumi* laugh.gif

okay, tokage has been rolling this around on her brain for a long time now, and she thinks she has summoned the courage to bring it up and see if anyone else has been thinking the same thing...  blue's mention of hughes reminded me...

does anyone else think that <!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('f648941c1bc4fab5b4c46a463d5cc3cb')">Spoiler: (Click here to Display)</div><div class="spoiler"><div id="f648941c1bc4fab5b4c46a463d5cc3cb" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->it's possible that hughes didn't really die?  remember how we were all so shocked, appalled, and a little bit afraid of our favorite commanding officer when roy 'killed' ross?  and remember how surprised we were when we found out she wasn't really dead?  *dances* i was so happy!  i was like, "Yes!!!  i KNEW he couldn't have killed her!!" 

so it came to mind that perhaps something similar could have happened with hughes.  he's far more sly than people give him credit for...i think it's very possible (tho not necessarily probable T__T) for him to have faked his death.  after all, ross's death was faked for her own protection...  if hughes was a target because he knew too much, he could have done the same thing.   ph34r.gif  maybe he's still keeping an eye on roiroi and the others from the shadows!  muhuhahah!!!  no, but seriously...  we weren't shown where envy shot him...just the gun, and then a shot of his body in the phone booth...  the funeral was shown after any viewings, so we're not given any indication it was open-casket...  there has been no solid evidence that hughes is actually dead.</div>

anybody with me?  eh?  eh, eh??  come on, you KNOW he would LOVE to make a grand re-entrace...

hughes: *saunters into central HQ with a big basket of persimmons* YO!  sorry i'm late!  *starts peeling persimmon* anybody want some?

everyone else:  O________________________O;;;;;

hughes: *takes bite of persimmon* what?  you guys look like you've seen a ghost...  laugh.gif *big laugh*

sheska: HE'S AN ALIEN!!!!!!!<!--SPOILER DIV--></div></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->

But then the effect would be lost.... Though it was still sad though....
Kasumi
Yes, WE WANT ROY! laugh.gif tongue.gif

I have considered the same thought before, but dropped it because it was a bit too unlikely. And as Queen said, the effect would be lost if he came back alive.
It wouldn't seem Arakawa-style either...

Don't get me wrong, I would want him to come back... It's just that, it doesn't seem likely...
hagane_no_tokage
*clings feebly to the hope anyway*
Fresh_Coffee
Well Mei is important because she is the half sister of Ling isn't she?
Kasumi
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 18 2005, 10:35 PM)
Well Mei is important because she is the half sister of Ling isn't she?

That's what we believe, but there's no official word on her being Ling's sister/half-sister/relative yet. wink.gif
Full Metalloid Alchemist
Wait is Mei the little girl that was found by Yoki, who is looking for Ed?
Full Metalloid Alchemist
Sorry, Didn't mean to double post, my comp froze and resent the message, so if a kind mod would come to delete the extra post that wouild be good unless there is a way to delete the pst that i dont see
Kasumi
QUOTE(Full Metalloid Alchemist @ Jan 18 2005, 11:16 PM)
Wait is Mei the little girl that was found by Yoki, who is looking for Ed?

Yes, she's that little girl with the ultra-small panda. wink.gif
blueices
I want one of those Pandas!!

Anywho, I wonder why she isn't w/ her "assumed" half-brother. She seems capable of alchemy as well, so wouldn't she be useful to Ling?
Fresh_Coffee
Well there are other brother and sisters I don't really remember but weren't they all trying to get the throne or something except for Ling. Maybe she wants to be the Queen? XD along with Ed
hagane_no_tokage
BOL! when i first read that i was like O_o ed wants...to be queen...? *falls over*
vegita625
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Jan 20 2005, 12:42 AM)
BOL!  when i first read that i was like O_o  ed wants...to be queen...?  *falls over*

Well of course, don't you know that's why there are people thinking things like RoyxEd at all? ::shudder:: ugh... that's gruesome, but yea, I thought that too for a second (Ed wanting to be queen), but then I realized what was meant.
SweetJanie
*imagines Ed with Mei and Win with Ling*
*erases Mei and Ling*
Perfect!! laugh.gif
Anyway, I heard some nasty rumours...
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

Please tell me it isn't true and we'll have a happy ending!!! ;__; *begs*
Queen of the dammed
No, that won't happen, because it's not finished yet.
Mei/Ed....okay.....
blueices
blink.gif

[spoiler]Al turns into a rock??? [/spoiler]

Hahaha, If he can still talk, he'd be a great paperweight on my desk that I can talk to.

edit: why does the spoiler box look this bad? Is there another code now???
Yukina_Raven
*cracks up* A rock! How utterly random! laugh.gif

Anyway, is anybody else completely shocked by what happened in this chapter? (Not gonna put spoiler tags because I assume spoilers here are a given...)

Ed and Al lost their limbs for a complete stranger?! blink.gif Ouch, man. Seriously, that's harsh. Poor Ed, though. He always feel responsible for what happened to Al, and now this? I doubt he'll tell Al about it, but I'm sure he'll find out.

Still... So sad. ;__;
Felidae
QUOTE(Yukina_Raven @ Jan 21 2005, 09:40 PM)
Ed and Al lost their limbs for a complete stranger?! blink.gif Ouch, man. Seriously, that's harsh. Poor Ed, though. He always feel responsible for what happened to Al, and now this? I doubt he'll tell Al about it, but I'm sure he'll find out.

Still... So sad. ;__;
[snapback]93588[/snapback]

Hmm.... Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see what's so sad about this. I mean... Of course it's sad that they last parts of their bodies(or in Al's case, his whole body) and all that, but would it really have been much better if the "thing" was their mother? It wasn't capable of living anyway. Who cares who/what it was?

(Sorry if this was mentioned already... I didn't read through the whole topic. >__> )

[edit]Whoa, WHOA. Multi-tasking is bad for my spelling @__o *corrects some mistakes*[/edit]
[edit2]Damn it, that first edit only made things worse. X| *corrects more mistakes* I will leave it like that now, I don't care anymore. *sobs* AGH. AGH!![/size]
vegita625
QUOTE(Felidae @ Jan 21 2005, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE(Yukina_Raven @ Jan 21 2005, 09:40 PM)

Still... So sad. ;__;
[snapback]93588[/snapback]

Hmm.... Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see what's so sad about this. I mean... Of course it's sad that they last parts of their bodies(or in Al's case, his whole body) and all that, but would it really have been much better if the "thing" was their mother? It wasn't capable of living anyway. Who cares who/what it was?
[snapback]93592[/snapback]

Ok, I'll make a very, very simplified analogy so a normal person can understand to some extent (it's over simplifying, I know, ya don't need to tell me)

You have the options of going to a party with your friends that you know you will be awesome, or to do a big report that's due the next day and you've been procrastinating all this time. You can't do both. You choose the big report since it NEEDS to get done. You get into class with your report and find out you did the whole thing on the wrong topic or something, and the teacher won't accept it because you'd only get an F anyway. Are you pissed in the least that you missed the party to do a report FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER? Hell yea, even if your report would have sucked had you done it right, at least you'd have gotten something for your efforts, but you completely wasted your time on nothing.

Now that my overly simplified analogy is over, my feelings on this:
If I lost limbs and my brother's body to bring back my mom, and it failed as Ed's experience did, I'd have at least a little solace that what we brought back was some odd, wierd version of my mom, although brought back all wrong ("Why couldn't you make me right?" Freaky nightmares...). But if I found out that we lost everything for absolutely nothing, that even if it was all a successful human transmutation that it wouldn't have even been someone I knew, let alone my mom, I'd snap, I'd probably be ready for the mental institution after everything they went through and THEN this news. Get my drift?
filimonovna
Yes. Just... How can a person feel, knowing, that not only he himself, but his younger brother, the dearest person to him is suffering due to his and only his mistake? And not just a mistake, but a MISTAKE. Damn. Poor Ed. I would have gone crazy if I were him.
Felidae
QUOTE(filimonovna @ Jan 22 2005, 08:41 PM)
Yes. Just... How can a person feel, knowing, that not only he himself, but his younger brother, the dearest person to him is suffering due to his and only his mistake? And not just a mistake, but a MISTAKE. Damn. Poor Ed. I would have gone crazy if I were him.
[snapback]94359[/snapback]

That's not what I meant. Of course I think that this is sad and all... What I meant is, that I don't see what's so sad about the fact that what they created wasn't their mother.

I understand what you mean, vegita625, but I still don't agree. It was a failure.
I'm using the same example as you did now... It doesn't matter if I got an F because I did the wrong topic or because I just suck, the result is the same. So both would be a waste of time.

...But maybe that's just me.
Yukina_Raven
QUOTE(Felidae @ Jan 22 2005, 02:28 PM)
I understand what you mean, vegita625, but I still don't agree. It was a failure.
I'm using the same example as you did now... It doesn't matter if I got an F because I did the wrong topic or because I just suck, the result is the same. So both would be a waste of time.

...But maybe that's just me.
[snapback]94474[/snapback]

Ah, but the results wouldn't have been the same. If you had done the right topic, you would have been able to pass the paper in and, thus, get a grade that would most certainly not be a zero.

vegita625, that was an awesome analogy. You explained it perfectly and I totally agree with you! happy.gif
jade
I really can't wait for Mei to meet Ed. laugh.gif it would be funny if Mei was 13-14, Ed would probably have a BIG ego boost since there's someone shorter then him.

Also, Mei and Ling might be rival clans, since it doesn't make sense that the Mei knows Alchemy and Ling doesn't. It would be better if Lan Fan and Mei started fighting smile.gif

haha can't wait biggrin.gif
Yukina_Raven
I forsee Mei being a bit disappointed when she meets Ed, considering the mental images she has of him. laugh.gif

Anyway, anyone know when the next chapter is suppose to be relaesed? (In Japan, of course.)
hagane_no_tokage
they're released monthly, and they've been coming out around the middle of the second week of the month, so something should be coming around by say february 10th or so... i'm supposing. happy.gif can't wait!
Queen of the dammed
Arakawa is evil in a way which BONES shall never achive. That's why we're all here wanting more. I NEED MORE ROY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TanukiFan
Arakawa-sensei is evil in that she releases slowly, but good in that she releases in abundence of good things! Balance... Balance... balance...

but why would their own father say that?! so MEAN!
QUOTE(Yukina_Raven @ Jan 21 2005, 01:40 PM)
Ed and Al lost their limbs for a complete stranger?!

Which really could mean that Trisha was already revived, thus she can't be revived for a second time wink.gif
Queen of the dammed
For some reason I highly doubt that....
Senefen
I'm back from Europe! Woooooot! Yes for the past 3 weeks I have been without internet.... I went into FMA withdrawl around the 15th....
Read the chapter yesterday

That would probably be a good topic to start ^^. Ask how people would cope if it had been their sibling. I've got a younger brother and I'd probably set off to find a way to bring back his body. Not sure about the military tho...
Yes poor Ed, mind you as a fan girl I'm quite happy with the angsting content. Just makes them more lovable....

Also, Mei and Ling might be rival clans, since it doesn't make sense that the Mei knows Alchemy and Ling doesn't. It would be better if Lan Fan and Mei started fighting
Not everyone has the skill. Mei is obiously naturaly talented, while Ling isnt. I think its a personal thing rather than a clan thing. Like some people can swim like a fish and some can swim like a brick.

WAIIIIII! Bring back Al's body! Hurray for Hope!

The national alchemists are certainly in trouble. Still havent seen a female one though.
Ailuro
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 25 2005, 10:27 PM)

Which really could mean that Trisha was already revived, thus she can't be revived for a second time wink.gif
[snapback]97639[/snapback]

*Crack!Theory alert* Pride is actually Trisha!! ohmy.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Jan 29 2005, 11:21 PM)
*Crack!Theory alert* Prida is actually Trisha!! ohmy.gif
[snapback]101902[/snapback]

Crack theory is right. ohmy.gif *confiscates crack*
Full Metalloid Alchemist
Honestly, seeing the other things that have happened would that really be that suprising
Queen of the dammed
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Jan 30 2005, 06:21 AM)
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 25 2005, 10:27 PM)

[snapback]97639[/snapback]

*Crack!Theory alert* Prida is actually Trisha!! ohmy.gif
[snapback]101902[/snapback]

That would just be WRONG (Besides the fact that it's OVERUSED by BONES)
Roland
I was under the impression that Ed finding out he hadn't actually made his mother was a good thing, and that Hohenheim intentionally 'let him know' to give Ed some new hope.

On Ed's finding out that he didn't make his mother, when he dug up that grave, he doesn't seem to upset because he seems to come to an epiphany. I could swear that he says something like "So it IS possible to bring Al back!" Or something close to that, I'm too lazy to look all the way through that manga again so if someone else would I'd appreciate it.
Roland
Also, how do we know that Hohenheim or the military didn't confiscate the creation that Ed and Al made? Perhaps they replaced what he made with whatever was in that grave.

Seeing how dark the military is, would you really find it hard to believe they would do something like that?
Senefen
Also, how do we know that Hohenheim or the military didn't confiscate the creation that Ed and Al made? Perhaps they replaced what he made with whatever was in that grave.
It was burried by the time Roy and Riza got there. Besides, as Ed said, one who as died cant come back the same as they were. I Think the Thing wasnt really important to the military, I cant see what they'd use it for.

Ok from now on all crack stores will be closed in an attempt to cut down on crack theories.
Michiyo-
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 43 here. smile.gif

Those who have already read further chapters are also welcome to join the discussions, but please do not post any future chapter content on this thread.

This thread is Spoiler Party thread for chapter 43 content, meaning, posters do not have to use Spoiler tags while posting about chapter 43 content on this thread. smile.gif

For the reading reference, please send a PM to A Pierrot's Aria and ask for "Reading Reference Assistance for week 38."
(For more detailed explanation on this, please read Tombow's post here.)

Thank you, A Pierrot’s Aria, for all your help!! ^^
Michiyo-
reserved for chapter information
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.