Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overrated Animes
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
xrninja
the DBGT dub was terrible. they crammed the first three or so episodes into the first dub episode and cut out so much stuff.
ἀρχή
I won't even watch DBZ. Just doesn't interest me.

Pokemon: even my 4 year old doesn't like it tongue.gif I think she's got good taste.
Shinsei Kage
DBZ, Naruto, and Inuyasha are all overrated if you ask me. Especially DBZ and Inuyasha, though.

And why is everyone saying that Inuyasha has memorable characters? I respect others opinions and all, I just don't see how the characters from Inuyasha are all that great. I found them pretty boring and cliched at some points. Especially with Miroku and Sango--I didn't see hardly any character development with them as individuals. But hey, these are just my opinions, no big deal. XD
Fresh_Coffee
DBZ *nods* as I stressed in my other post but Saliormoon( I know it isn't too great) was the Anime that pulled me in but I admit I use to watch DBZ until I lost count on how many times they died!
hitokiri
oh no i in no way shape or form deny that DBZ was truly designed for one target audience... the little boys who grew up reading the DB mangas or watchin the show. to the rest of the anime watching world, its pretty much mindless dribble with blond haired freaks that fight for no apparent reason.

i just merely want to point out how important it was to the culture dissemination of anime.
xrninja
QUOTE(Shinsei Kage @ Jan 1 2005, 06:49 PM)
And why is everyone saying that Inuyasha has memorable characters? I respect others opinions and all, I just don't see how the characters from Inuyasha are all that great. I found them pretty boring and cliched at some points. Especially with Miroku and Sango--I didn't see hardly any character development with them as individuals. But hey, these are just my opinions, no big deal. XD

i couldn't stand the dub so i didn't watch enough episodes with miroku and sango, but from what i see in the sub/raws, their personalities do change, subtly though, and you can sort of see their relationship with each other advance through the changes in their interactions and dialogue. it was kind of sweet biggrin.gif but yes, inuyasha definitely has its share and more of cliche moments.
love_me_destroyer
funimation dubbed inuyasha didnt they? thats mostly why it sucks so bad.
Goldfish
I dont know what you all get on TV, but it seems to me that you have the real stuff, then the made for north america, tv crap. Of course DBZ, YuGiOh etc all fall into that category.

Im sure there are some that are not overrated and are good in english, but I have yet to find one. The two seem to go hand in hand tongue.gif

Im canadian and Ill still always prefer subbed for obivous reasons.
vegita625
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jan 1 2005, 05:51 PM)
That is so true. DBZ is one of the first animes I really got into. I can't stand GT though. I wish they had just stopped after Z ended. Also, I think Pokemon and Yugioh will do the same. I guess as long as you introduce the concept of anime to younger kids they might go into more adult animes.

"They" did, some of the fans didn't want to, so they made trash and called it a continuation of DBZ, forgetting a couple hundred million pieces of the plot of both DBZ and DB that make viewers wonder how a plothole hasn't opened up and swallowed the whole universe at the very beginning of DBGT...
blueices
Saliormoon( I know it isn't too great) was the Anime that pulled me in but I admit I use to watch DBZ until I lost count on how many times they died!

Ditto wink.gif It was quite a time, I remember fondly the time I ordered vhs fansubs for Sailormoon season 5 from from Canada hahaha (just how did I survive w/o ethernet?)

I guess because they were the first anime I saw, I feel bad putting it down later. But hey, it was my "gateway drug" to the hardcore stuff ne?

Blue's progression... sailormoon, dbz, NGE, Cowboy Bebop, Grave of Fireflies (and similar depressing movies), (it just got darker from there.....)
.....[a few years later: a cheerier period]
.....naruto....FMA (though of course that isn't a happy walk in the park either).... biggrin.gif...I guess i'm just into the dramatic stuff

The criteria for overrated will vary from person to person of course...
For example: I wouldn't agree that Naruto is overrated because my criteria for overrated tends to lean towards the licensed anime that's been butchered in america. I have yet to watch one episode of FMA dubbed cause I'm kinda scared...hehehe
Cloud28
Inuyasha's dub wasn't so bad at all...the show is acutally pretty good but alot of ppl hated it becz the ending...laugh.gif
Haste
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 2 2005, 12:28 AM)
Saliormoon( I know it isn't too great) was the Anime that pulled me in but I admit I use to watch DBZ until I lost count on how many times they died!

Ditto wink.gif It was quite a time, I remember fondly the time I ordered vhs fansubs for Sailormoon season 5 from from Canada hahaha (just how did I survive w/o ethernet?)

I guess because they were the first anime I saw, I feel bad putting it down later. But hey, it was my "gateway drug" to the hardcore stuff ne?

Blue's progression... sailormoon, dbz, NGE, Cowboy Bebop, Grave of Fireflies (and similar depressing movies), (it just got darker from there.....)
.....[a few years later: a cheerier period]
.....naruto....FMA (though of course that isn't a happy walk in the park either).... biggrin.gif...I guess i'm just into the dramatic stuff

The criteria for overrated will vary from person to person of course...
For example: I wouldn't agree that Naruto is overrated because my criteria for overrated tends to lean towards the licensed anime that's been butchered in america. I have yet to watch one episode of FMA dubbed cause I'm kinda scared...hehehe

You should really watch the dubbed verison, it isn't all that bad to tell you the truth, it seems to come along very nicely.
Toby-Chan
Inu-Yasha is disgustingly and grotesquely overrated. It's not terrible, per se, but it's not good either, and there's such a huge fanbase that swears that it's the best anime ever, that it's ridiculous.

I'd also say Naruto is overrated, however Naruto is good. It's much better than most action series, but it's not 'omgthebest!!11one11!" The plot is a little blah, but it does have some spiffy stuff in it, and it sucked me in quite a few times, but it's mostly shonen fanboy fodder. And most of the characters suck. (But Rock Lee is greater than 75% of the cast combined!)

And while I do like Yu-Gi-Oh, even uncut, it's not the best. Therefore, overrated.
Penguin
Inuyasha.

I used to be a big fan of this series but once it became so uber-popular with these teenybopper fans, I just had to get away. It is really overrated by the fans it has. Both annoying and equally disgusting. I mean, the series is good... until you see the same things happen over and over for the twenty-fifth time.
Slashrose1010
Penguin, I had someone in my class like that. She was like obsessed with Sesshomouru. I like him but jeez. It does get tiring sometimes to see the same thing over again. But you gotta love Miroku. Hehe, who can blame him. I mean if Sango walked by me I would probably do the exact same thing. wink.gif
Dark Sasuke
Inuyasha, and Naruto. Both these animes have a huge fanbase, both animes are good so it's not really a surprise,I'm a fan of both animes aswell. BTW, I think FMA will also have a huge fanbase, especially that AS started airing it.
Shinsei Kage
QUOTE(xrninja @ Jan 1 2005, 08:12 PM)
i couldn't stand the dub so i didn't watch enough episodes with miroku and sango, but from what i see in the sub/raws, their personalities do change, subtly though, and you can sort of see their relationship with each other advance through the changes in their interactions and dialogue. it was kind of sweet biggrin.gif but yes, inuyasha definitely has its share and more of cliche moments.

I never said I was watching the dub. In fact, I've never even seen the dub. o_O I was talking about what I had seen from the sub version. I know that Miroku and Sango developed as a COUPLE, but I didn't really see much development for them as individuals.
xrninja
yeah, i wasn't sure. i think sango does develop a little; her character grows stronger because of all the sorrow and pain she has to deal with, with kohaku under naraku's control and having to choose between her brother and her friends.
Quistis88
I find the Sango-Kohaku story quite sad. sad.gif There are some pretty touching moments, especially that one episode that focuses on the two near the end of the series.
Kihaku
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jan 2 2005, 05:01 PM)
(But Rock Lee is greater than 75% of the cast combined!)

And while I do like Yu-Gi-Oh, even uncut, it's not the best.  Therefore, overrated.

So true about Lee biggrin.gif

But Yu-gi-oh!... I think the card game is maybe overrated (so much hype..) but the anime is underrated.. mostly because all people/kids see is the card game. It's not just a card game.. It has great themes (yeah, not only about friendship) too, which aren't always seen through all the intense playing/dueling....
Toby-Chan
I think even if it's popularity skyrockets, FMA will not fall under the 'overrated' cateory, simply because it's so brilliant that it deserves all the love. ::Nod, nod::
telepika
Hear, hear!!! cool.gif
Haroken
inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin are so overrated it makes me sick.
definingmind
QUOTE(Haroken @ Jan 3 2005, 09:46 PM)
inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin are so overrated it makes me sick.

Amen to that Haroken!
My two cents: DBZ is way overrated! The first saga was great, but once they got to the whole Frieza saga, things seems to fall out at that point for me and I just lost interest. I mean yeah it was cool to watch Goku kick the crud out of the Ginyu Force (the Ginyu Force was pretty funny actually), but it just took so long to go through the planet explosion and then the Cell saga just seemed like a repeat of eariler sagas.
Powerful evil guy is coming to destroy Earth. Train some, get really strong. Get nearly beat, have Goku/Gohan/Goten save us all. Lather, rinse repeat...
I'm done...
vegita625
And while I do like Yu-Gi-Oh, even uncut, it's not the best.  Therefore, overrated.

"My dick is emitting a powerful aura..."
-Closed Captioning typo here in America lol

I'm not joking either, it happened...
xrninja
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Jan 3 2005, 10:41 PM)

XD i'm assuming someone got fired for that. laugh.gif
Quistis88
But I wouldn't fire that guy. biggrin.gif I'd let him keep his job just for kicks.
Kihaku
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Jan 3 2005, 11:41 PM)

Really? Really? blink.gif
When did this happen? How?

And yeah, I wouldn't fire the guy either tongue.gif
Toby-Chan
Ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's great!

I'd agree that Rurouni Kenshin is overrated. Not to the point of Inu-Yasha, but It still is. I do love that show, and it has it's brilliant moments, but not to the point where I won't acknowledge that it gets way too much credit.
love_me_destroyer
Gotta meet that guy.
Fresh_Coffee
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *laughing on the floor* I can't believe that actually happened. *still can't stop laughing* I really don't think RK is overrated since I love the anime so much. Soujiro rocks my socks. I don't really know any Rk fans except 3 other people and my anime-ish family so I'll take your word for it.
love_me_destroyer
wow. such toilet humor.
telepika
RK overrated!!! What!!! Okay, Inuyasha, DBZ, Yu Gi Oh! (Sorry Kihaku), and maybe even Naruto's overrated but RK?!!! No. I think RK is underrated. Sure, only the Kyoto arc of the anime is great but along side anime like DBZ, Yuyu Hakusho, and Inuyasha, wouldn't you agree that Kenshin's the best of the three? And if you agree to that then shouldn't Kenshin be as or more popular than them? Kenshin's a great anime people!!! It was my obsession before FMA!!! mad.gif
Cloud28
I never watched RK anyways...and i never heard of it..so its not over rated lol!
telepika
SEE!!! Cloud never heard of RK!!!

Kenshin's the chibi guy on my sig. *Points to sig* Check it out. Actually, read the manga because the manga's better. cool.gif
Cloud28
was that show ever on CN?
Haste
QUOTE(Cloud28 @ Jan 4 2005, 04:46 PM)
was that show ever on CN?

Yes it was on CN for a while and seemed like it was gaining popularity, but suddenly it went off from showing new ep's, but I think tonight I am going to email CN and ask them about it, because I was really getting into that show and I want to see the rest of the series.
telepika
I have to warn you Haste. After they get back to Tokyo from Kyoto, the rest of the anime is filler. Rest the manga if you don't want to be disappointed.
Fresh_Coffee
Telepika you don't think RK is overrated? Yah I have someone on my side! Then again *points to earlier post* I don't really know how many fans are out there. Soujiro is the best he smiles ALL THE TIME!Kenshin rocks too. His teacher never ages 0_o I don't know how many times I've said that.
telepika
Yay!!! Go Kenshin!!! cool.gif
Chiba
Rurouni Kenshin is really overrated, same with Inuyasha, RK is ok, but it's not as good as alot of people say, and Inuyasha just sux except for those dang Fan Girls that keep it alive! mad.gif
Falling_Man
J-ville, FL is almost devoid of rabid anime fans. (or at least my school is...)
I agree on Inu Yasha, DBZ/GT (DBZ they kept repeating scenes. that annoyed me)
Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon (can you even count that), and a few others being overrated.
(Maybe Digimon too?)

Yu Yu Hakusho, RuroKen (least the manga), Bebop, Trigun and a few others
I'd say aren't overrated. (course its not like I'm an expert at this stuff)
Slashrose1010
I like YuYu, Bebop, Trigun too. I like Inuyasha but it isn't as great as fangirls make it out to be. No one in my school even likes anime, except for me and a few dorks whom I don't talkt to. I don't think FL CL is overrated.

RK I think is overrated too. I don't think it's terrible but yeah a lot of people make it out to be something great. Z/GT definitely overrated, though I've seen every episode of Z tongue.gif I used to be a fan when I was younger. Gundam is overrated. I only watched G Gundam, it was OK but too many people talk about it(or at least use to).

Teen Titans is underrated tongue.gif I like that show. I guess an Americanized kinda anime. The show is great and has a good story. Not a lot of people like it though because it is kinda a kids show (though there are dark sub-plots). I love Slade. I would cosplay as Slade if I had his build and could make a metal mask like his tongue.gif
love_me_destroyer
FLCL is kinda like sealab 2021, love it or hate it. you like yu yu? blink.gif whats your IQ?
Falling_Man
*shrug* wouldn't know.
I'm not sure if we're counting the americanized anime
or anime-esque cartoons.
vegita625
QUOTE(love_me_destroyer @ Jan 4 2005, 06:29 PM)
you like yu yu? blink.gif  whats your IQ?

Excuse me, but Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the best animes on Cartoon Network (next to FMA, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun), so what are you implying exactly? It has awesome action, interesting plots (that don't repeat), and character development, what's stupid about that show? Not only that, but Funi did a pretty good dub job on it.
Felidae
Well... I know a lot of people would love to punch me in the face for that statement, but I'd say Hellsing is overrated.

The anime was broadcasted on some channel I don't receive here, and everyone kept talking about how great it is. Then after some months, the manga came out, I bought the first volume, and, really... what's so great about it? It's basically just watching Alucard and some other characters being all cool while killing each other. Wheee. I really wonder where the story went.
Altough I have to admit that the artwork is pretty good.

The second would be Yakitate!! Japan
I mean, c'mon, an anime about BREAD? Okay. Maybe it's just not my taste.
[Insert random stupid joke about bread and taste here.]

Yeah... And then some of those already mentioned. I have to say I kind of like Inu Yasha, but it isn't as great as everyone says(Note - I've only watched the first ~52 episodes).
love_me_destroyer
jeez, vegita. dont have such a hissy fit.
edsgirl
Anything Gunam, except for the originals. It's getting old and boring. they try to come up with new ideas, but it always comes out the same in the end rolleyes.gif
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Jan 4 2005, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE(love_me_destroyer @ Jan 4 2005, 06:29 PM)
you like yu yu? blink.gif  whats your IQ?

Excuse me, but Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the best animes on Cartoon Network (next to FMA, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun), so what are you implying exactly? It has awesome action, interesting plots (that don't repeat), and character development, what's stupid about that show? Not only that, but Funi did a pretty good dub job on it.

Finally, someone who likes Yu Yu with me. I like the plot and it doesn't really repeat. It has a lot of gadgets too smile.gif I think Sensui is pretty cool but I like his original side better than that stereotypical representation of an Italian. That was prob the only bad voice acting, the accent was horrible. I like Yusuke's though. I like Kurama and Hiei the best though.

BTW My IQ is about 126 the last time I checked. I think average is about 105. And also, the test was designed for an older age group. So no, I'm not a nimrod for liking Yu Yu.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.