Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overrated Animes
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Haste
Indeed, Yu Yu isn't for "morons". I like it, whenever I get a chance to watch it, and last time I checked my IQ was about 141, so I don't think I am that stupid lol
Kute Mymy
i totally think... inyuasha
blink.gif i never liked it for some reason anyhoo`
Fresh_Coffee
Telepika where are you? A lot of people are saying Rk's Overrated. *whimpers*
telepika
OKAY!!! Why is RK overrated people?!!! Why? The Tokyo Arc's pretty lame, I understand that but the Kyoto Arc's just as good as Naruto (It's better than Naruto in my opinion). Okay, maybe it's because only the Kyoto Arc is good but compared to stuff like Inuyasha and Yuyu Hakusho (I like Yuyu. I love Hiei, but plotwise and animation-wise it pales in comparison to RK) RK is so the better.

Here's why I like RK:

1. Good animation: I love the fighting sequences, I love their stances. Look at this!!! Is it not cool? Then the scene when
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
That was one of the most beautiful parting scenes I have ever seen.

2. The complex characters: The characters are what make RK such a good anime. Sanosuke, Sojiro, Saito, Aoshi, Shishio, and the best of all, Kenshin. Shall I reveal why I love Himura Kenshin so much? Warning, if you read this next spoiler then you'll ruin RK for yourself because even with the battle sequences and the amazing plotline, I watch RK only to find out more about Kenshin because he is such an amazing character.
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

Perhaps I like Kenshin a little too much and maybe glorified his character, but I am sure this is an anime you cannot pass off as overrated!!!
Kihaku
Falling mMan: oh no.... Digimon is underrated. Pokémon somehow shadows it.. (now thats overrated for sure) I don't know why. Digimon has a great story and great characters and isn't so repetitive as Pokémon. Many see it as a "Pokémon copy" and don't/didn't give it a chance.

Felidae: Oh yes! I don't understand the obsession with Hellsing. It's an anime based on violence.. but that's my opinion. I just never got into the story.

telepika: Noo..not Yu-gi-oh! tongue.gif The story is underrated...
RK however.. Well, I don't think it's overrated, mainly because people tend to like the start and not the end, like it rightfully should be tongue.gif
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Haste @ Jan 4 2005, 08:54 PM)
Indeed, Yu Yu isn't for "morons". I like it, whenever I get a chance to watch it, and last time I checked my IQ was about 141, so I don't think I am that stupid lol

blink.gif Damn Haste! I knew you were smart but 141. That is really smart. You beat average by 36 points... I wonder what other people's IQ's are. (unless they are too embarassed to tell tongue.gif jk)
Cloud28
well...my is around 80 so...
Ninie
About Rurouni Kenshin... I don't think it's over rated! Okay, I didn't see the anime, but the manga is one of my favorite. Sojiro = wub.gif
telepika
Well I like Yuyu but I'm not going to post my IQ score because that would be showing-off. tongue.gif

And I'm sorry Kihaku. sad.gif But that's what I feel.
Toby-Chan
Heh. If you're talking about internet IQ tests, those aren't reliable in the least smidgen. And even if you did get in an official IQ test, IQ really dosen't amount to a hill of beans. People think it's all important, but it means next to nothing.

I should know. I got high scores, and I'm one of the most clueless people I know.
Falling_Man
Yeah, I was kinda iffy on Digimon. It was popular for awhile (partly because of sat. morn. slot) and it had products out, bu then it died out in popularity.

And another one that's underrated: Jing King of Bandits.
Ya don't hear about that one too much around here...
(points to avatar)
Fresh_Coffee
More people who don't think RK is overrated!*Is happy* Ninie Soujiro does rock. Join the Club happy.gif. I'm too obessed with him. About Digimon being a copy of Pokemon it's not true. I believe that Digimon actually kept out before Pokemon with a toy but didn't broadcast on air till later. I'm not sure though... but Pokemon and Digimon came out at around the same time. sleep.gif I have never seen Yu Yu I've seen HunterxHunter though. Killua so funny *thinking of Anime moments in HunterxHunter*
telepika
HXH is GOOD!!! That anime is underrated!
happycloud
IY is soo overrated...its just demons fighting each other and i guess theres a little cursing but its not like its that bad
saiyanprince
I loved DBZ even though there is no story line or real character devolpment. The cool thing about DBZ was that it was the first REALLY successful anime to come to the US and be a staple for Saturday morning cartoons. It opened up the door for any other anime like....FMA. It is probably on my list of top five for originality. The best now being FMA because I believe it to be the most well written story in anime. The character development is also unsurpassed by any other anime I've seen.
Cloud28
dbz was kinda cool for a while but...gets bored after a while....

i liked the manga though..laugh.gif
blueices
DBZ might have been better if death meant something...In the show, Death was just like a vacation gone awry and now you have to wait for the right opportunity to make your way back to alive-land.

The best shows [for me anywho] have taken death really seriously and its presence makes you more concerned for the characters and the outcome of fights...etc.
Starsword
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 13 2004, 07:09 PM)
InuYasha is the #1 most overrated anime ever. No question about it.

InuYasha is sooooo not the most overated anime. DBZ for sure is though. I Mean look how many episodes it took to kill freeza!. Could you tell me why you think Inuyasha is overated?
saiyanprince
I agree BlueIces, death means nothing in DBZ. What really takes me about FMA is that you see a boy grow into a young man and all that that journey entails with just about every lesson and hardship imaginable in four years. Besides that, the writing was some of the best I have ever seen. It is no small feat to capture an audiences attention for 51 episodes.

Has anyone ever seen the series Samurai Deeper Kyo. That was well written and well animated for 26 episodes. Any fans?

No double-posting allowed~ Use the [Edit] button instead~ wink.gif
~Omakase Shimasu
Omakase Shimasu
Have to hand it to Toriyama, the concept was pretty original. biggrin.gif At the time... I think...

Ummm... Overrated anime... I don't want to repeat stuff anymore than it already has. tongue.gif Ugh, what am I talking about, I can't even think of any at the moment. biggrin.gif;;
K1ller0fs0uls
I might have... but I doubt thats a overrated anime... that may be a under rated one.
saiyanprince
DEFINATELY underrated. It doesn't have near as much overall appeal as FMA but the series has some of the best character development. I'm pretty good at guessing which direction an anime will take or the foreshadowing that occurs. Samurai Deeper Kyo caught me totally off guard. Just when you thought the end was near a completelt different obstacle presents itself.
K1ller0fs0uls
thats awsome... I might want to look up that anime
hitokiri
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jan 6 2005, 05:58 PM)
Have to hand it to Toriyama, the concept was pretty original. biggrin.gif At the time... I think...

the original characters of DB are nothing more than animed-up version of the characters from an ANCIENT chinese story of a monk's journey to obtain some scrolls/enlightenment.
Omakase Shimasu
Um, now that you mention it~ -.-

Well, the [not-]dying part could still be original, right? The dragon balls were memorable. X3
Fresh_Coffee
Well, the [not-]dying part could still be original, right? The dragon balls were memorable. X3

I find that funny happy.gif(in a good way) original that they don't die.
Slashrose1010
I know what you mean with the dying not being any real threat to any of the characters of the show. Goku has been brought back... I thinik, at least three or four times now (since the Z stopped and GT started, I don't know if he dies in GT, but probably will.)

Any show that has had many generic duplications of it is more than likely going to become or already is overrated (yugioh and pokemon). [What happens if I said FMA was overrated? I think I would be banished from the forums and sent to the Shadow Realm XD]

Someone said this before but Detective Conan is underrated (think it was Tokage or Hito.) I've only seen the American Dub and some of the voice actors are bad/recycled, but the show was basically good. Some of the cases were pretty hard to solve, though I did manage to figure a few out.
Haste
dbz...geez it's been over drawn...way too much...finally I got back on the site..for some reason I couldn't get on the site
blueices
Another overrated anime (already mentioned I believe)
FLCL
I watched all 6 eps in one marathon and I came to this conclusion.
By the time I got to the third episode, I only kept going cause I figured..."well there's free chinese food (anime club event) and I guess I have to finish it off properly"
There seemed to be a lot of hype for this show...but really I think those who reviewed it positively were high.
If you're high, I'm sure this show would be amaaaaazzzing.
Starsword
Does anyone else here think that witch hunter robin is kinda boring? I know that it is for me I just couldn't get into the storyline. All they do is kill witches. I like the guy with orange glasses though, he reminds me of me (a computer nerd) tongue.gif
K1ller0fs0uls
to be honest i really don't like witch hunter robin tht much eather... just kinda boring to me.
Felidae
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jan 7 2005, 04:13 AM)
Any show that has had many generic duplications of it is more than likely going to become or already is overrated (yugioh and pokemon). [What happens if I said FMA was overrated? I think I would be banished from the forums and sent to the Shadow Realm XD]

Generic duplications of Pokčmon? I must have missed those.

If you're talking about Digimon or Monster Rancher, those aren't rip-offs of Pokčmon. All three series are based off games(or in Digimon's case, Tamagotchi... Do those things count as games? Whatever.) and are completely different.
I don't know exactly about other anime with monsters, but I highly doubt that they are duplications of Pokčmon. Japanese just seem to like monsters. Or something.
Kihaku
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jan 6 2005, 03:58 PM)

That's what I like to think too! biggrin.gif
Now it doesn't seem maybe that original tongue.gif. The same themes are used quite often...

hitokiri: And Dragon Ball started out as based on the Chinese legend.. The new characters had nothing to do with it..

And actually I thought it was pretty appealing that death wasn't such a big thing in DB. it suited it and I liked it's way of going over all boundaries. Dragon Ball is an appreciated manga even amongst mangakas. I don't like to hink that it's overrated. The anime however.. I'd say it's high rated for the wrong reasons. "Cool fighting" and stuff like that. *sighs*

telepika: now worries ! biggrin.gif You have your opinion, right wink.gif

Generic duplications... I have to think of that too. I must say that when I first watched Yu-gi-oh! the first thing that came into my mind was Pokémon... but of course they're very different...
And monsters.. yeah, something that seems to be popular... but are all the shows featuring poeple then duplicates of each other? tongue.gif Sorry bad example.
Omakase Shimasu
Yay~ Backup's arrived. happy.gif Thank you~ And to add to your comments:

QUOTE(Kihaku @ Jan 7 2005, 07:28 PM)
Dragon Ball is an appreciated manga even amongst mangakas.

Same can be said for Yu-Gi-Oh!. ^^v (Just thought it should be said for some reason)
Kihaku
Even Yu-gi-oh! is? biggrin.gif That's new to me! biggrin.gif but well.. Yu-gi-oh! hasn't been around as long wink.gif But thanks for saying that! I really feel great now! Both animes versions tend to be dissed tongue.gif
Omakase Shimasu
*noddle* It is! When I was searching for those promised fanarts I stumbled upon a site with an article about it. wink.gif
Kihaku
Could you give me the link? Could you? If you remember it, that is...
Omakase Shimasu
Oooov~ ph34r.gif I'll have to search for it though~ That might take some time. Willing to wait for it? biggrin.gif
Kihaku
Oh yes! biggrin.gif Don't take too much trouble though wink.gif
Omakase Shimasu
No problem, I'm pretty sure that I'll find them easily enough by retracing my steps around the Net. wink.gif
Fresh_Coffee
Anyone think Ranma 1/2 is overrated? I seem to be the only one 0_o
telepika
Yeah, Ranma 1/2 is overrated. The first few episodes were good but the later episodes were too repetitive.
love_me_destroyer
^ I agree.
AmethystDuckie
Hopefully this one wasn't mentioned, or I'll feel silly. Eva (Evangelion). So many people worship it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad. But definitely overrated to me.
HatoriSoma
i think fooly cooly was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated i watched the whole series and i had no idea what was happening and i didnt like the art either dry.gif
Fresh_Coffee
Evangelion has be mention, it's alright a lot of people have said over and over again Inuyasha. Telling us that a lot of people feel Inuyasha is a overrated show. I think Evangelion is overrated too , I hated the characters they were always whining. I respect if you like them though.
FMA4ever
QUOTE(HatoriSoma @ Jan 9 2005, 02:03 AM) [snapback]79593[/snapback]

i think fooly cooly was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated i watched the whole series and i had no idea what was happening and i didnt like the art either dry.gif

Yay! I don't like Fooly Cooly either. It made me mad just watching it. dry.gif
Nepharski
On my deathbed, I'd wager Naruto is pretty damned overrated. On another Forum I frequent, there used to be a time period where we'd have a new thread expunging the worth of Naruto every few days, like clockwork.

I don't much care for the artstyle, characters annoy me, and the plot doesn't seem to go anywhere from the episodes I've seen.
JoshP1389
QUOTE(FMA4ever @ Jul 11 2006, 04:03 AM) [snapback]420625[/snapback]

QUOTE(HatoriSoma @ Jan 9 2005, 02:03 AM) [snapback]79593[/snapback]

Yay! I don't like Fooly Cooly either. It made me mad just watching it. dry.gif

NOT VERY OPENMINDED ARE WE?

And I'll take this time to say that Gravitation will make you gay. LITERALLY!
Vampire Alchemist
Inuyasha is overrated. It gose on and on. I mean like it, but they could of shorten it a little. Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ are the same way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.