Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overrated Animes
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Kitoky
Do you anyone of you think that an anime is a bit overrated ?

My two greatest concerns are Dragonball Z - I really don't understand it's popularity when it's basically all fighting and if the world is in danger go find the dragonballs and wish for Shenron and everything's peachy. Even though the DBZ series have diff parts like GT, or Z, or whatnot, I think they should come up with more original plot then just some guy tryin to take over the world and it seems like everything revolves around Goku - to be honest, I was interested in DBZ when it was about Gohan going to highschool and trying to make it but then it switched to the world is in danger so I just sweatdropped and flipped off the TV.

My other is YuGiOh - I mean, why? When I tried getting into YuGiOh, I just couldn't do it...there was something about it that didn't y'know hooked me into the plot - I think it was half because of the dubbed voices T.T - I'm gonna try finding a subbed one because if I'm not mistaken usually subbed are of a better quality and enjoyment then dubs.
Carnal Malefactor
InuYasha is the #1 most overrated anime ever. No question about it.

DBZ and Pokemon and that crap, I don't even consider, since they're marketed towards young kids, but IY is a kids' show masquerading as a show for older teens, young adults, and manages to pull it off. I have nothing but contempt for that.
Zio
I agree with What, No Bacon's statement of the most overrated anime. The fans of that series make it worse, treating it like it is SO much better than every other anime....and they type so horribly.
Quistis88
InuYasha for me as well. Ugh. Memorable characters, but . . . that's about it.
telepika
Yup, definitely Inuyasha.

I know people are going to kill me but I think Naruto's overated. biggrin.gif The mangaka has some good ideas but most of Naruto is just fighting and it takes forever for the story to move on. Think about what happens in every episode: the hero is being defeated, he shows a new technique and surprises everyone, that music with the drums and the "HO!! SUYO!!" comes on, then he fights with new determination until the next episode when the whole cycle starts over again. And the main characters keep on disappointing me. Naruto is smart sometimes but most of the time he fails to think of the obvious answer. Sasuke is vengeful and
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
. Sakura never helps in battle.

Don't get me wrong. I love Naruto but it's not the best anime out there. If only more happened in every episode... Look at FMA, every line of dialog is interesting and helps carry the plot and the fighting never carries over into other episodes.
sasuki_604
God, I thought I was the only one who thought Inyuasha is overated.
I can't stand that anime. Nice characters but the plot?? It just seems so repetitive. dry.gif
hagane_no_tokage
i personally really like inuyasha...but i liked it MUCH better before viz uh...destroyed it and brought it to america to be eaten alive by rabid 12-year-old fangirls. miroku is my absolute most favorite anime guy character ever, but i will admit that after 39+ volumes of manga, it's time to start really wrapping it up. the manga is *so* much better than the anime in the fact that there's none of the crap filler than the anime was so cluttered with. i pretty much stopped watching the anime once it came to the US, but i've been avidly following the manga for a long time now.

as for overrated, i'd say that yu-yu hakusho is way up there... okay, maybe the story doesn't totally reek in the japanese version, but i can't even sit thru an ep of the dub... the voices are horrible, the animation...leaves a lot to be desired, and did i mention the voices are horrible? gawd, kuwabara's voice just *really* grates on my nerves... i know that's a little unfair, to judge the anime based on the dub, (i *usually* try and give the benefit of the doubt) but after all the oohing and aahing from the american audeince over something that, IMO, sucks like a leech, i have absolutely no desire to pursue the original version whatsoever.

and i will cast another vote for DBZ... what's so great about a show that could have been done in about 50 episodes if they just cut out all the screaming and powering up?

PS:@ Kitoky: yu-gi-oh is actually a relatively decent show... i watched a bunch of later raw episodes when i was in japan for a month and a half, and the american version really does it no justice. if you can find some subbed episodes, you might be surprised ot find a pretty okay show beneath the nasty crust the dub has put on it...
Gashole
QUOTE(Kitoky @ Dec 13 2004, 06:45 PM)
My two greatest concerns are Dragonball Z - I really don't understand it's popularity when it's basically all fighting and if the world is in danger go find the dragonballs and wish for Shenron and everything's peachy.  Even though the DBZ series have diff parts like GT, or Z, or whatnot, I think they should come up with more original plot then just some guy tryin to take over the world and it seems like everything revolves around Goku - to be honest, I was interested in DBZ when it was about Gohan going to highschool and trying to make it but then it switched to the world is in danger so I just sweatdropped and flipped off the TV.

I think DBZ, along with Sailor Moon, was one of the first anime that came out. It is also revolutionary in that it was the first anime where the characters have spiky hair and can produce fireballs out of nowhere.

Then again I'm not an anime encyclopedia. Don't trust me.
telepika
Yeah, Yuyu's overated. Hate to say it. The animation's bad, the storyline sucks... But there are some good things to Yuyu Hakusho. The characters are very interesting and complex, especially Hiei. And I like the voice acting for Yuyu's dub; it's just the script that's bad. I haven't seen all of Yuyu though. I've heard a lot of interesting things about what going to happen later on in the series and I have good faith in the mangaka for Yuyu (He wrote Hunter X Hunter, my second favorite anime). Hopefully that'll justify Yuyu's popularity. The fanfiction for Yuyu's pretty good too. Has anyone here read A Gift of Unusual Nature by Windlily? I highly recommend it if you're not afraid of shonen-ai and pervertion. cool.gif

About Yu Gi Oh! Being okay. I can believe that knowing 4 Kid's history for destroying good anime.
hagane_no_tokage
hunter x hunter is written by the same mangaka as yuyu? blink.gif never would have guessed! but i just coulnd't watch yuyu, mainly because the animation was so bad. for the most part, if the animation is not good, i just can't get into the show... i know that's kind of superficial of me...but as an artist, i just can't bring myself to watch something that is not estheically pleasing...even if it's a good story... the only exceptions have been lupin III (i don't even know *why* i like that show so much...it's so old and cheesy! but i love it and i can't explain it!), musekinin kanchou tylor (the animation wasn't *that* bad...but it was kind of old-school 80's anime, so not the best as far as artwork goes), and flame of recca (another kinda weird old style i didn't particularly care for, but i really enjoyed that show). same goes for manga... loved the gravitation anime, couldn't read the manga... the artwork was just so... well... not good! i really hated the style... same for sCRYed...beautiful anime...nasrty weird manga style... didn't like it at all...
telepika
laugh.gif Yuyu's animation is getting better. Surprising ha? I understand though. Me and my sister used to make fun of Yuyu's bad animation. I remember when they used four colors per scene and had no background... Those were the days. The only reason I keep on watching Yuyu is because I'm waiting for when
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
. If I never heard about what would happen later, I would have stopped watching Yuyu a long time ago.

Yeah, Yoshihiro Togashi does HXH. I was surprised too until I learned that Killua=Hiei, Gon=Yusuke, Kuropica=Kurama, and Leorio=Kuwabara. They look and act the same, well almost.
Kihaku
Inu Yasha overrated? Oh well, I can't say anything to that, because I haven't watched it. I don't think the manga is that bad though...
DBZ...I don't know... seems like hardly anyone likes this show tongue.gif
I like it, but I don't really care for the fillers and prolonged fights. Most of the great themes are lost then.. but if you don't mind the fighting so much, it's actually quite a good series. biggrin.gif
And Yu-gi-oh!... one of my favourites. Really biggrin.gif! I actually was totally hooked onto it right from the first episode even though I was watching the dub tongue.gif . I just loved the feeling and atmosphere it created and I really loved the characters too. But it's really long, so it's kind of good that it wasn't made longer. I think I started getting a bit full of the "card battles" at the end, but despite that the story is great! The subbed is of course better(it dub is so censored and changed) even though I didn't like the sub quality....
Naruto? Oh... this is about the "fan thing" tongue.gif . I don't think it's overrated, but maybe some take their fandom too far? Don't know tongue.gif .

Hmm.. overrated? I'd say Sailor Moon. I actually used to like it, and I still think that the manga was okay, but the anime is way too prolonged and repetetive that it makes me sick. Without that the story would have probably been interesting.
lime_chan_the_wannabe_alchemist
yea I gotta agree InuYasha is overated*sadly knows a rabid 12 year old fangirl*
Kitoky
Oh yes! That's right, Inuyasha.

Yes I would have to agree that it is overrated. When the series first began it was pretty interesting, but now it seems like they're just delaying to get to Naraku. Sadly, Naraku is my favorite character in that anmime T.T. Inuyasha shouldn't have that many episodes - I think it goes up to the 100's. The other reason why I'd say it's overrated -- is like some said, the scary hyperactive fangirls who think they're the almighty otaku of anime -.- Or the ones that claim every bishounent hey know regardless of character or whatnot.

As for Naruto - I can't really say, I've seen the first couple of episodes of the subbed and it seemed more of a comedy, with Naruto and his sexy jutsu.

Yu Yu Hakusho - I know a girl, well she's my friend though gets on my nerves at times. She is a huge fan of Yu Yu Hakusho, and loves Kurama so much that it's sickening. The manga for Yu Yu Hakusho - the artwork wasn't all that great, the same goes for Inuyasha. I think that's part of the reason why I don't bother reading those mangas. I'd have to agree the artwork wasn't all that great at the start of Yu Yu Hakusho and just like Inuyasha, the styles of the animation in Yu Yu differs by each episode, Inuyasha you can really tell - but in Yu Yu, you have to really concentrate on it to really tell.
telepika
Inuyasha went up to episode 160 something. In the end it got kind of interesting... Well I only saw part of the ending. I used to like Inuyasha during the first ten episodes but then it got too repetitive. I wrote this long rant about Inuyasha somewhere... I think it's in the worst anime thread then I moved it to the "I hate Inuyasha" thread... Well anyway, I'm tired about complaining about Inuyasha. The 3rd movie was pretty good though.

Okay, compared to Inuyasha, Yuyu, and Sailor Moon, maybe Naruto isn't that overated. But there are just too many people out there who worship Naruto.

@Kihaku: Yeah I also used to like Yu Gi Oh! I watched the dub, it was one of my favorite anime, I watched every episode... But then I realized that whenever the character wanted to get out of a situation while card dueling, the writer could just invent another card. The reason I watched Yugi was because I admired his skills in dueling, how far he thinks ahead, his strategies, and I thought that he was "Bloody brilliant." (I don't know why I said that. It just seemed appropriate at the moment. Now it's just so random...) But if you could just invent a card for any situation, then Yugi's suddenly not so brilliant. Then there was the friendship thing, the weird pop singing that's supposed to add drama but just ruins the situation, the terrible voice acting... I just couldn't take anymore so I abandoned Yugi after he left Duelist Kingdom.

And about Sailor Moon, I never got into that anime. Even when I was 7 I thought it was too girly. I got into DBZ instead. tongue.gif
I'll have to say Inuyasha is way over-rated. It was good for a while, I remember back in the days where I would watch it on the old Adult-Swim Action Saturdays. It was good until it started getting repetitive, because now it's basically "Oh no! A demon! I'll take care of him! SWOOSH! What?!?! He's really strong! A sacred Jewel in his forehead, oh no! I had better use a secret technique! SWIMMMMOOOSSHHHH! I defeated him, but the shard's taken by Naraku's bees! DARN YOU NARAKU!" replayed with different characters though.

I used to like Yu Yu, but I stopped watching after the Saint Beasts. I don't like when a series drags on. If a show gets more than 60ish episodes and I'm still watching, it's a good one.

I was interested in DBZ only in the Cell Saga, after that, I thought it was the same as what happened with Yu Yu,
telepika
Hahaha!!! That's so true about Inuyasha. Good one Guest.
Slashrose1010
FMA IS WAY OVER-RATED!!!!

JK, People, please don't tear my limbs off!

I like Yu Yu, and I like that the drawings aren't clean. Every body has their own style. I think Inuyasha is a lil repetitive and there is a lot of filler. but I still watch to see what happens in the end. Yu Yu does have very good character development and it has gotten progessively better I think. I especially like Kurama though. He is so calm and collective. I think Gundam is wayyyyy over done. There was like fifteen of them. The only one I watched the majority of the episodes was G-Gundam, that one didn't have a lot of political crap like Star Wars tried to pull off. I would REALLY like to see some adult animes (not hentai, but i wouldn't mind seeing that either) that are not tampered with with some good voice actors and unfooled around scripts.
telepika
My God, you almost gave me a heart attack with that first line!!!
Kitoky
Me too! Before I read on I was like "Wait...this is a FMA forum isn't it? O.o"
Slashrose1010
Lol, sry, I couldn't resist.
hagane_no_tokage
i agree that there are waaaay too many gundam series... but i loved gundam seed. even tho it's the same recycled gundam skeletal storyline they all seem to have (and that godawful masked villain character... curse you!!!)...i really did enjoy seed a lot. i look forward to watching the rest of destiny.
Kihaku
yeah.. got scared too tongue.gif if anything FMA is underrated. biggrin.gif

telepika: you didn't get that far then tongue.gif the dub did exaggarate the friendship thing a little, plus a lot with saving the world. Hmm... I also thought that Yugi was a great player. yeah, he really is, which is a pretty important point (a shy person like him to fight and have great significance), but there were quite a few of "there's one card in my deck than can save me" parts.... of course he drew it then tongue.gif .
Actually when I started watching Yu-gi-oh! I thought of it mostly as a joke tongue.gif There are still a few things that entertain me like that (like in Duelist Kingdom everyone was sure that Pegasus was cheating even though they knew he could capture souls...)
Later I started appreciating the themes of the series. biggrin.gif
DarkWater Alchemist
I would never say fma is overrated, it isn't known widely enough yet to be...

Inu Yasha is overrated. Just check a random general anime forum...

DB Z is just bad - I just don't like it, and I don't care if people do, but...

YuGiOh is too funny - most of the time al the chars are huge idiots, but what a wonder! the dutch voice actor for yami yugi has this sensual voice... He sounds kinda sexy laugh.gif

Naruto might be a little overrated, but Ionly just started to watch it, and I don't complain so far...
Sycia
QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 15 2004, 09:07 AM)
I'll have to say Inuyasha is way over-rated. It was good for a while, I remember back in the days where I would watch it on the old Adult-Swim Action Saturdays. It was good until it started getting repetitive, because now it's basically "Oh no! A demon! I'll take care of him! SWOOSH! What?!?! He's really strong! A sacred Jewel in his forehead, oh no! I had better use a secret technique! SWIMMMMOOOSSHHHH! I defeated him, but the shard's taken by Naraku's bees! DARN YOU NARAKU!" replayed with different characters though.

*Dies laughing*
XD Yeah, that's what the series has become. Though I wanna add one thing in.

OH! Inuyasha's going to look for Kikyo! Kagome goes depressed and angry, and the dog can't seem to figure out why, or even if he does he seems too fickle. Really it's quite annoying.

Overrated anime in my book? Fushigi Yuugi. It's another repetitive one that reminds me of soap opera. And makes me want to slap the main character girl 60 times over with a red hot frying pan for overreacting to EVERYTHING.
lime_chan_the_wannabe_alchemist
not trying to make InuXKag fans,but I'm getting annoyed with the pairing,sorry if I made anyone mad its not like I have a problem with it but, I've seen some fangirls*at my school*go crazy about the pairing.I feel like saying"Ok! they make a cute couple please shut it!",I can be so mean at times sad.gif
Kitoky
QUOTE(Sycia @ Dec 15 2004, 05:56 AM)
QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 15 2004, 09:07 AM)

*Dies laughing*
XD Yeah, that's what the series has become. Though I wanna add one thing in.

OH! Inuyasha's going to look for Kikyo! Kagome goes depressed and angry, and the dog can't seem to figure out why, or even if he does he seems to fickle. Really it's quite annoying.

Overrated anime in my book? Fushigi Yuugi. It's another repetitive one that reminds me of soap opera. And make me want to slap the main character girl 60 times over with a red hot frying pan for overreacting to EVERYTHING.

*nods furiously* I hate Miaka...hate hate hate hate hate a thousand times overrrrr!!!!!!!! >.<
telepika
@ Lime: It's understandable.
Des
Inuyasha is SO BLOODY DAMNED OVERRATED. X____X I hate all those fangirls who are all like, "oooooo, Inuyasha is the best anime ever!!!!11111!!!!" Come on, people, the plot is DULL. ._. Miroku's the only cool part of that show.

But what really pisses me off.

I have the "pleasure" of having two of my good friends at school being Inuyasha fangirls.

And Jessie, bitch, is BOYCOTTING FMA because it took Inuyasha's timeslot. >___> IT HAS BEEN ON THE AIR FOR THREE YEARS NOW, PEOPLE. >< Time to buy the DVDs and move on to better anime.
-Zhou Yu-
I am a strick Otaku, I respect all anime and I don't think any anime is overated.

@des Spell correctly, your not funny.
Cloud28
just now, i think eva is overrated...i mean its such a old anime series now...laugh.gif
Kitoky
Age doesn't really mean anything...I've seen the Evangelion series and have the manga and it is very good O.o

But if you feel that it is overrated, then that is your opinion ^^
Tsutomu Saishuu
Yeah, I also think Eva is overrated. The storyline was good in the beginning , but as it neared the end it went to crap. Also the movie wasn't too great either.
Sycia
Hmmm yeah I forgot Eva. I don't hate it in particular, but it does leave me wondering what's so special about it that created so many cults around....
I thought eva was incredible! Totally revolutionary, philosophical ideas.
telepika
@Des: Did you know that the number of people watching Adult Swim during FMA's time slot has gone up 94% since last year? biggrin.gif And 130% among female viewers!!!
Kitoky
QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 16 2004, 12:27 AM)
I thought eva was incredible! Totally revolutionary, philosophical ideas.

*nods* I agree whoever you are ^-^;;
Ninie
I don't think Eva is overrated... Only by some of the fangirls. I only saw a couple of episodes, and it was good, but when I told someone I liked anime, but Eva wasn't my favorite... She started being cold to me, and she almost never speak to me now. blink.gif She wasn't a close friend, but still...
Fresh_Coffee
Inuyasha and DBZ. I'm sorry I wanted to say this forever DBZ IS OVERRATED!! After awhile it was ok but then they wanted to make money off the show so badly they started making more and more seasons you have to let go of it SOMETIME! How many times do they die? Sorry to anyone who likes DBZ I just think it's way too long and they should have cut it sooner.

Sailormoon I got nothing aganist the Anime because it was the first one that I can remember that came to Canada it was the thing back then. Maybe it was a bit to long but it wasn't as long as DBZ and maybe the series got kinda of stupid with the flying horse. It's like a classic to me anyway because it was the first one I EVER watched but not the BEST.

Inuyasha is Overrated I never really watched it though but I have so many friends who like it. Well I had friends who liked it before the Dubbed but quickly stop liking it. I can't really say except there are too many fan girls.

Naruto I don't think is overrated but the plot right now in the Manga is kinda of on the dull Side. Sakura dosen't fight and is inlove with Sasuke like nuts but his so rude to her most of the time(sorry SasuSaku fans if this offended anyone). The Power levels is getting out of hand. We'll just have to wait for it to get better.

The characters in Eva were annoying that's all I can remember from the series it was ok other than that I couldn't stand the characters. Sorry to anyone who enjoyed all of them.

Ranma 1/2 that was way too long that I just gave up on it. It was ok in the beginning but it just dragged on. WAY TOO OVERRATED!
Zim87
i guess DBZ Inu and Naruto are all overated to hell. i dont see how YuYu is overated. dont know too many people that even watch it. and i just LOVE love hina. happy.gif sooooo underated!!!!!

hey? whats up with my sig? it isnt working all the way......
Jaganshi
QUOTE(telepika @ Dec 13 2004, 07:51 PM)
Think about what happens in every episode: the hero is being defeated, he shows a new technique and surprises everyone, that music with the drums and the "HO!! SUYO!!" comes on, then he fights with new determination until the next episode when the whole cycle starts over again.

I totally agree. The Ho suyos were pretty funny at first, but they got annoying after a while. Plus it take forever for the characters to actually fight. Like during one episode, Kakashi just stood there with his hand over his eye patch for like, the entire episode. In which he just talked to the guy he was fighting. I mean come on, their just trying to drag it out. Like DBZ.
love_me_destroyer
DBZ, Gundam wing/seed, Inuyasha. those three are way to overrated
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(DarkWater Alchemist @ Dec 15 2004, 11:35 AM)
YuGiOh is too funny - most of the time al the chars are huge idiots, but what a wonder! the dutch voice actor for yami yugi has this sensual voice... He sounds kinda sexy laugh.gif

You think so too? X3 Which VA are you talking about exactly? The one who voice acts Yugi (first two seasons, I think) or the one in the third season? With Noah...? @.@
luciferownsme
Inuyasha and DBZ are way to overrated.

DBZ was remotely decent but then it repeated again and again. Akira Toriyama's company made him write so much he can't make up a story anymore(what my Japanese teacher said. He wanted to stop at like every arc in the comic after a while)

I don't think Yu-Gi-Oh! is that overrated... but I just watch the sub and then watch the dub. It's hilarious to see the difference in the lines.
Cloud28
i don't think inuyasha is overated..but dbz definetly..
hitokiri
let's see overrated animes.... inuyasha, wolf's rain, akira, astroboy (which i hate more than anything else animated), princess mononoke, pokemon, and anything else that is a commercial for merchandise more than a movie/series.

i'm not gonna argue over the DBZ issue but i do want to say DBZ led more people into the act of watching anime than any other show. without it anime wouldn't quite be the same as it is now.
water_alchemist
dbz is overrated... dry.gif
Slashrose1010
That is so true. DBZ is one of the first animes I really got into. I can't stand GT though. I wish they had just stopped after Z ended. Also, I think Pokemon and Yugioh will do the same. I guess as long as you introduce the concept of anime to younger kids they might go into more adult animes.
Cloud28
DBZ is like more the symbol of anime..lol
hitokiri
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jan 1 2005, 07:51 PM)
That is so true. DBZ is one of the first animes I really got into. I can't stand GT though.

the reason GT sucked so much ass was that akira toriyama DID stop at DBZ. GT was licensed from him, he had nothing to do with it really; other than gettin paid royalties that is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.