Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nina's Voice In English Version
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
hitokiri
ok who came up with this accent and why?!!! after hearing that voice i'm actually looking forward to ep 7.
wah? is it good, or bad? accent? what accent? damn you east coast viewers, always getting to see episodes 3 hours before us west coast viewers get to. lucky you.
Shiroi
What do you mean...? You make it sound like both a good and a bad thing. I really like her voice, and I think it's very cute. I mean for crying out loud, she's a four-year-old. -.- I think the cute quality will only make episode 7 seam sadder.

On a side note, episode 6 was dubbed really well. Minimal script changes, and the overall effect of the episode was pretty much the same.
TwilightPhoenix
Tucker has a strange.... accent... it's almost like he's from London... but then not quite... I don't know... I didn't like his voice at first, but then I didn't care. Darn you Hiei! I could hear you in Tucker! Gaaah!

Nina's voice... .was good... erm, but then sometimes I couldn't understand her... but I guess that's how 4 year olds are.. hard to understand... x.x;

Gracia's voice... haha... I loved the dramatics she was putting on when she was giving birth c.C talk about freaking little kids out, yeesh XD
hitokiri
i find the voice annoying and grating......

and when i said i'm looking forward to 7..... well now i hope you understand.... i'm actually going to relish it now.
angieness
haha when she first opened her mouth I instantly thought oh god I know people are going to start complaining about this one...to be totally honest this is thus far the first voice in the dub to make me want to stab myself and that's coming from someone who's been defending the dub! Other than her voice I thought the latest episode was well done. I just wish they would have gotten an actual child to do her voice or at least someone a bit younger
Shiroi
*Scratches head*

Having a child with little experience do voice acting only adds to the problem. Perhaps it would have been better if she inhaled some helium before speaking. ^^; But she actually did sound like a four-year-old, and I believe that was the point. Or rather, close enough.

Out of curiosity, I rewatched a piece of the original just now... Yeah, her voice was higher, but she spoke remarkable clear Japanses for a little kid. dry.gif

On a side note, the "Just tell me what to wear to graduation" line seemed like a bigger, more deliberate crime. The original "Do you want me to wag my tail, too?" seemed more typical of Ed. Sarcasm and arogance are not interchangable, people! (Sorry, that was off topic...)
edsgirl
I think the voice compliments nina's age very well. Annoying! I wouldn't have expected anything more ! tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
grading new dub voices in this episode:

Tucker: F
Nina: B+
Gracia: B
King Bradley: B

next week: Scar
hitokiri
eh bradley was ok but did anyone else detect a bit of sean connery-ness in his voice?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 12 2004, 07:36 AM)
eh bradley was ok but did anyone else detect a bit of sean connery-ness in his voice?

No, but if it's there, it fits.

I think he sounded a little too young, but almost everyone in the dub sounds either too young or too old.
edsgirl
That's exactly the actor that came to mind when I heard his voice.
Zio
I found Nina's voice to be pretty damn adorable. And of course, Bradley is awesome when you add a dash of Sean Connery.
Thalandor46
They tried way too hard to make her sound like a little girl. The voice would be good if it didnt have that Homestar Runner sound to it. She's not nearly adorable enough...
hitokiri
i felt that is was annoying and that the VA was just plain trying too hard to pull of an over-exaggerated stereotypical four year old.....
Kirara
I liked all the voices except for Tucker. I do like Chuck Huber as Hiei, but that was the problem I kept thinking Hiei when ever I heard the character talk.
vegita625
QUOTE(TwilightPhoenix @ Dec 11 2004, 10:39 PM)
Tucker has a strange.... accent... it's almost like he's from London... but then not quite... I don't know... I didn't like his voice at first, but then I didn't care. Darn you Hiei! I could hear you in Tucker! Gaaah!

Nina's voice... .was good... erm, but then sometimes I couldn't understand her... but I guess that's how 4 year olds are.. hard to understand... x.x;

Gracia's voice... haha... I loved the dramatics she was putting on when she was giving birth c.C talk about freaking little kids out, yeesh XD

I laughed so hard, Tucker's voice is the same as Hiei's from Yu Yu Hakusho. I said to myself "Thinking in those terms, that's such a bad voice... but isolating this one anime, this is a pretty good pick for Tucker," while I didn't expect Hiei's voice, it does sound just as I imagined the American voice would sound. I'm more annoyed that the Fuhrer, if I heard right, couldn't pronounce R's very well. His voice got on my nerves.

Finally, Nina's voice is absolutely and completely perfect. I can't wait to hear how it sounds in ep. 7, that voice actor did a good job with Nina.
mei_tenshi
I liked Nina's voice! Sure, it was stereotypical, and perhaps a tad annoying at times, but that only makes her more endearing!

But then, this is coming from someone who's never seen the sub, so ignore me if you like. ^^
Des
I did not like Nina's new voice. XD; The interchanging of the R and the W got so irritating after a while. Her Japanese voice was much cuter.

>3333
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
kungfustickman
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 12 2004, 12:34 AM)

Agreed Tucker sounded so bad in this episode. It's like they tried to pass him off as some psyco or something.... blink.gif Man I really liked how he sounded in the Japanese version.

I'm happy how Hughes and his wife sound. Soo funny. rolleyes.gif
Ailuro
QUOTE(kungfustickman @ Dec 12 2004, 05:13 PM)
Agreed Tucker sounded so bad in this episode.  It's like they tried to pass him off as some psyco or something....

If that's what you thought of him, the dubbers did a good job. Cause he is a psycho. o-o
TheVileOne
QUOTE(kungfustickman @ Dec 13 2004, 01:13 AM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 12 2004, 12:34 AM)

Agreed Tucker sounded so bad in this episode. It's like they tried to pass him off as some psyco or something.... blink.gif Man I really liked how he sounded in the Japanese version.

I'm happy how Hughes and his wife sound. Soo funny. rolleyes.gif

Tried to pass him off as a psycho or something.

Well I'm assuming you do know:

_alchemist
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Dec 12 2004, 11:39 PM)
Transmuted his wife and daughter into chimeras?  Yeah this dude is so NOT a psycho  rolleyes.gif .

LOL of course he's not a psycho -__-' haha. well i guess since he is a pscyho/maniac/what-the-hell alchemist, his serial-killer voice fits him. lol. even though it sounded like a cross between a hillbilly and a british-man.
hitokiri
yes but in ep 6 he's not supposed to be a psycho yet....
Kirara
I don't think he was trying to sound like a Psycho, considering that was Chuck Huber's natural voice.
lialiakicks
Intentional or not, Chuck Hubber's voice SCREAMS psycho!

While I was watching ep. 6, I was like

And what in the world is up with Nina's dialect?! Yeah, yeah, she's four, but that's kinda ridiculous. Although the voice suits her well, they sould have made her speak a little more properly than she did in the Eng Dub. Her Jap. voice sounded fine... Hm... Tucker must not be doing his job as a father... Teach your kid to speak moron! >_<
SpaceDrake
Actually, I thought Nina's voice was frighteningly close to the ORIGINAL. If I recall correctly, Japnese Nina used really simple language as well... and the pitch and tone of the voice was identical. I adore them both, and really, if you don't like English Nina for being too high pitched and too "childish", you properly shouldn't like Nina in general.

As for Tucker... I dunno. For me the accent just WORKED from the word go. I can't explain it, but the voice just works for him and I can't wait for episode 7.

Gracia was done well enough, especially when she had to be annoyed or during the birth scene.

The Fuhrer, though. DAMMIT, that's the one voice I hated. Not deep enough, not COMMANDING enough. Granted, there wasn't an incredible amount of material to work with here, but it was enough to get me worried.

Ed and Al were golden, as always. Aaron Dismuke as Al just seems to get better every episode. I had my doubts about him at the start, but now... damn. I don't think they could have cast him better.
vegita625
QUOTE(SpaceDrake @ Dec 13 2004, 01:30 PM)
As for Tucker... I dunno. For me the accent just WORKED from the word go. I can't explain it, but the voice just works for him and I can't wait for episode 7.

Gracia was done well enough, especially when she had to be annoyed or during the birth scene.

The Fuhrer, though. DAMMIT, that's the one voice I hated. Not deep enough, not COMMANDING enough. Granted, there wasn't an incredible amount of material to work with here, but it was enough to get me worried.

Like I said about Tucker's voice, interms of "that's Hiei's voice," yea, it's a terrible pick. Comparing where the voice has been used in the past SEPARATE of FMA, it's a bad pick.

HOWEVER, if you just look at FMA all alone and isolated and separate all other animes in your mind so you just concentrate on FMA, Chuck Huber's voice is a perfect pick for Tucker. Hiei's voice is a bad pick for Tucker (their characters are too dissimilar), but the voice Tucker has sounds right, ya know what I mean? It's hard to describe.

Meanwhile, it seems the 2 of us are the only ones seeing potential probs with the Fuhrer's voice, which is odd, I figured I'd see more people complaining about him than anyone else in this episode. I did NOT expect complaints about Nina, her voice fits her perfectly, cute and innocent sounding, even if it is stereotyped. And I already explained Tucker, though I wasn't surprised people didn't like "Hiei's voice" for Tucker... yea, that's about it...
Quistis88
Just heard Nina's voice. I don't know . . . it does seem like the voice actor's trying a little too hard. It sounds a little off. Not enough consistency, I suppose. I still love the Japanese Nina more.

Tucker doesn't sound . . . THAT bad. But it'll take a while to get used to.
lialiakicks
Uh, Quistis88...

Quistis88
xrninja
lialiakicks
Ailuro
Queen of the dammed
fullmetal_psychokiwi
Wow, Nina's voice was extremely annoying...Kinda made me want to cry. It was cute when she laughed, though.
hagane_no_tokage
i agree...i heard it last night... i had previously missed her, and now i'm none too bereft about it. ;p didn't care for her choice of american VA at all. tho not as disappointing as roy.
BakaOnna
oh, i haven't been caught up with the dub since episode 2. hmm.... maybe i should watch a little more of the dub. i want to here Nina and Tucker's voice.
darkangelslayer
i thought it was cute
vegita625
I thought Scar's voice was a pretty good pick...

Dreakon
Nina's voice is the only one that got to me. I didn't mind everyone elses voice much at all but Nina's was just to kiddish for me. I know she's a kid but I have been around kids a lot in my life and very few of them actually went "Hewwo", "Repwy" and ect, ect, ect. It wasnt THAT bad though I suppose, but it couldve been better. wink.gif
coins
Im with the manslayer on this one (hitokiri) the VA definately tried waaay too hard to sound cute...kinda ruined the whole ep. 7 thing...im actually a bit glad she's gone
Kitoky
QUOTE(Thalandor46 @ Dec 12 2004, 01:25 AM)
They tried way too hard to make her sound like a little girl.  The voice would be good if it didnt have that Homestar Runner sound to it.  She's not nearly adorable enough...

Thank you! I agree with you 100%! They tried too hard to try to me it sound little.

And to be honest when Nina was talking about her mother on the floor, I couldn't understand her...at all! I was squinting to listen to the tv.
chocolate_eds_everywhere
How can u guys be so heartless.....oh nevermind your name is manslaughter tongue.gif
actually i loved nina she sound just like my little sister who is exactly nina's age
i kinda think tht nina knew what her dad was gonna do to her though when tucker said he was on the end of the line
i loved how ed went insane on tucker and punched him out. it was great. biggrin.gif and the fact that al didn't realize that it was nina ma me pissed off. mad.gif
sweety_pie
i thought Nina was sooo cute but they did try to hard to make her sound like a little kid. i was watching FMA last night and i could bearly understand what she was saying she sounded like she had a speach problem or something. other than Nina's voice she was adorable and the episode was awesome.
Damascus
QUOTE(Kitoky @ Dec 24 2004, 09:22 AM) [snapback]65785[/snapback]

QUOTE(Thalandor46 @ Dec 12 2004, 01:25 AM)
They tried way too hard to make her sound like a little girl. The voice would be good if it didnt have that Homestar Runner sound to it. She's not nearly adorable enough...

Thank you! I agree with you 100%! They tried too hard to try to me it sound little.

And to be honest when Nina was talking about her mother on the floor, I couldn't understand her...at all! I was squinting to listen to the tv.

blink.gif You squint to listen to the TV?

Anyway, I do think the VA tried to hard for the kid voice, slurring the R's into W's. The original Nina was so adorable!!!!! XD
Fullmini Alchemist
I think that her voice is quite fitting in the English version. It sounds so young and innocent.
Lt. Misha Mustang
I know she's so adorable I was crying when she died lol im such a crybaby
Fullmini Alchemist
me too, Ed was so broken after that and she was so cute.
Weapons Alchemist
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 12 2004, 03:41 PM) [snapback]53316[/snapback]

i find the voice annoying and grating......

and when i said i'm looking forward to 7..... well now i hope you understand.... i'm actually going to relish it now.

blink.gif mad.gif I'LL KILL YOU FOR SAYING THAT, how would you like to be.....well......you know (I dont know how to put in a spoiler caption)

*Runs out side and starts hitting everyone in my way*

*Runs out side and starts hitting everyone in my way*

"Ok im good now biggrin.gif ,wanna be friends" *Hides knife behind back*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.