Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Classical Music
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Music
Pages: 1, 2
Quistis88
I noticed that there's no classical music thread. So, how many of you kids/adults here listen to classical music? If you do, why and what are some of your favorites? If you do not, why don't you?

It doesn't necessarily have to be generic stuff composed by Beethoven, Bach, or Brahms or anything like that. Just general orchestral or symphonic stuff. Are you in your high school band? Playing instruments? Do you prefer to play classical music or listen to it?

Discuss.
ἀρχή
I like a lot of different styles of classical music. I love the Brandenberg Conterti from Bach. #5 (I believe) has a great harpsicord solo that's truly for a virtuoso.

I've been trying to learn to play Franz Schubert's Earlkonig adaptation. I love the poem and the piece is adapted for music quite well. If you haven't heard it, you should. Quite a sad poem, however.

I've recently gotten into some more modern stuff like Schoenberg. Not much yet, but I like the 12 tone theory stuff.

Oh well, some thoughts from me.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(arche @ Dec 11 2004, 08:22 PM)
I like a lot of different styles of classical music. I love the Brandenberg Conterti from Bach. #5 (I believe) has a great harpsicord solo that's truly for a virtuoso.

ya, this harpsichord solo is really great...

i am a big fan of BACH as you already know^^^^
Quistis88
Haha, Prinz and his Bach. biggrin.gif Harpsichords have such a unique sound. Though it is used nowadays (but rarely), it sounds best in the baroque genre.

arche, what sort of arrangement of Schubert's "Erlkönig" are you playing? Is it difficult?
ἀρχή
It's the original piano & voice, I think... I can't touch the 4 hands version as I don't have 4 hands o_O.

Is it hard? Not for someone who's good, which I am not sad.gif. I've left piano alone for a long time, so this is a way to get back into it. The real tricky thing about the piece is the triplet octaves in the treble cleft. It's also incredibly fast meter, schnell (metronome of 152!). Well, it makes sense since it's supposed to imitate a galloping horse smile.gif.

I've still got to work on my technique with octaves so I don't move my whole forearm. It's all about that supple wrist, but after a page, that wrist gets tired sad.gif. I guess I shoud go to the gym to work out some more.

Baroque music is really great. Where the romantic period often had music emulate natural sounds (smetna's(sp?) die moldau), Baroque is more programatic, which I enjoy a lot.
edsgirl
The only classical music i listen to is Moonlight Sonata and Pavirotti's version of Ava Maria. Probably spelled the names wrong, but I tried!
Bling_bling_Angel
I adore listening to Bach, Chopin, Czerny...
ἀρχή
I love playing czerny exercises smile.gif. I don't know why, but it's great to play stuff like that. I know I'm wierd....
Quistis88
Anyone here ever played the Hanon exercises? I find that they get so repetitive after a while . . . sad.gif
ἀρχή
Yep....Hanan's good for people who need technique help. I can rip through the first two sections pretty quickly, so although it's repetative, it doesn't bother me. If I don't play them for a long time, I really can't do anything on the piano, so I need to use them as warm up every day if I want to play anything well. My piano teacher would play through it at least once a day also. I was amazed to hear him one day when I was at his house practicing through them. It really helped me realize that you do need to have foundation in basics.
Chain Alchemist
hey, has anyone ever listened to Dvorak's (sorry, can't spell his name right on this keyboard) American quartet? I happen to be playing right now.
Prinz_Zoisit
hi!!^^

i recorded a piece with 4 voices(which are all mine and my original pitch)... because of the recording the whole thing is one half-tone higher than i recorded it...

it's a Pavana from Thoinot Arbeau, a renaissance composer....^^

maybe i'll post some more classical pieces^^
Chiyo
To be honest, I know no names but I do listen to classical music when I can. My father has hundreds of CD's and quite a few are from classical composers.

Yet more than anything I listen to the Celtic music, which could be classed as some form of clasical (I think). Some of the melodies have been around for many, many years and usually tell a story.

I like that aspect of classical music. You can create images in your head, much like what Fantasia tried to do (I don't know if anybody likes Fantasia but I do). To just be able to lie back and let your mind tell its own tale is so relaxing.
Prinz_Zoisit
hmm...yes.. you play role games a lot, no?
Chiyo
huh.gif Was that asking me? If so, I have no idea what you mean. biggrin.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Mar 5 2005, 04:04 PM)
I like that aspect of classical music. You can create images in your head, much like what Fantasia tried to do (I don't know if anybody likes Fantasia but I do).
[snapback]127117[/snapback]

Bach's(or general baroque) music is nothing for your imagination.. This(very artificial) music was just created for the music itself...it's the enlightenment period with beethoven chopin, etc which caused these imagination-music which is very dynamic and loud and quiet at the same time dry.gif ...

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Mar 5 2005, 08:29 PM)
huh.gif  Was that asking me? If so, I have no idea what you mean. biggrin.gif
[snapback]127208[/snapback]

you love to use your imagination... do you play any roleplay games like WARHAMMER etc?!?!!

P.S.: I like your writing skills, chiyou...they're really admirable. Where do you come from?!?!
Falling_Man
Ah, classical music. Wonderful stuff. To tell the truth, I like music in general. (Probably because musicianship is in my blood)

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you what that piece is or who it was made by. I get too absorbed int the music to bother looking in the program to see what it is. (although I've only been to two or three concerts) I recently went to a concert at the local symphony hall with my mother, her friend and my sister. I tried listening to the crescendos, decrescendoes, time makings and what the dynamics were, because I need to write a report on a concert I attended. But I couldn't. dry.gif Too absorbed, then I lost focus after intermission and my mind wandered.

Yes, I am currently playing in my high school concert band (we also do 70-80's pep music at our football games). smile.gif GO PERCUSSION!!!! biggrin.gif

@Prinz:What, like rpgs where you dress up and play DnD with your friends? Or rpgs like Final Fantasy? tongue.gif I'd reply, but it'd almost be like spam...
Chiyo
@ Prinz_Zoisit

Oh no I don't play roleplay games, but I find some music inspires me into writing fanfiction sometimes.

I'm from ye olde England, and thank you for the compliment. I've found my English put to shame by some people around here. You know an awful lot about classical music and I admire that. Shows a high level of intelligence I believe.
Ryu
For eleven years I've danced ballet and haven been surrounded by classical music.

So ya, in addition to a little Ryu history, you get to tune into my calssical favs:

Ballet inspired:
Chopin
Tchaikovsky
Prokofiev
Stravinsky

Other personal favs:
Pachelbel
Handel
Vivaldi
Sibelius
Mozart
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Falling_Man @ Mar 5 2005, 11:54 PM)
Ah, classical music. Wonderful stuff. To tell the truth, I like music in general. (Probably because musicianship is in my blood)
@Prinz:What, like rpgs where you dress up and play DnD with your friends? Or rpgs like Final Fantasy? tongue.gif  I'd reply, but it'd almost be like spam...
[snapback]127332[/snapback]

...yea, another musician^^ there aren't so many ot there in the world^^
uhm... FinalFantasyVII was the best game i played ever. I can't say it often enough... it was like a never-ending dream to me(the 4 cd's for PC)...*sigh*...
i always play RagnarokOnline(also like a dream to me), ut only if it is for free^^;;;...currently, you have to pay 100EU a month^^;;

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Mar 6 2005, 01:30 AM)
@ Prinz_Zoisit
I'm from ye olde England, and thank you for the compliment. I've found my English put to shame by some people around here. You know an awful lot about classical music and I admire that. Shows a high level of intelligence I believe.
[snapback]127363[/snapback]

i like ppl who like to show what makes their country admirable(like their culture, music, writing, etc)^^
Chiyo
Germany is well known for its composers after all. I suppose England has its writers.
Falling_Man
And America is well know for idiot leaders...

Has anyone heard of a piece called Symphony No. 9? I think it's composed by a Russian named Dvorjak. (most likely butchered it) He made it after a trip to America. I think it's great and it captures the general idea of 'A New World' very well. I play it in band class. That's where I learn most of my classical music pieces.

We are at a bit of a disadvantage, however, because we don't have a string section. (aside from an elec. bass)
Alchemy's Lover
I love classical my all time fav. composer is Hayden. He is a genius. Scherzo is the best song to play it is so much fun. biggrin.gif
yukiroche
I live by Classical Music! I probably wont exist without it of course since I'm a musician and all heh heh! I listen to Handel, Schubert, bach, mozart, beethoven, KRIESLER, antonio vivaldi, rossini, paganini (my hero!), bernstein, brahms, sibelius, chopin, stravinsky, strauss, shostakovich, dvorak, copland, gershwin, holst, haydn, liszt, mendelssohn, rachmaninov, schumann, tchaikovsky, delibes, and wagner! heh heh I'm a classical nerd.
ἀρχή
I had just recently looked at my cd's - haven't listened to many in a while. I remembered that I was trying to work on a general collection of classical and jazz music from different periods. I've got some representatives from many different periods - chant/madrigals, baroque (which I like mostly because it's music for music sake and not so dynamic smile.gif), classical period, romantics and trying to work on getting some 20th century people. I like some 12 tone stuff but it takes a few listens to "teach" yourself to appreciate the dissonance smile.gif. I just now need to fill out the collection, but I imagine it'll wait a while as I'm not rolling in money right now tongue.gif.

I will say that I do not enjoy vocal classical except some madrigal and chant. I'm not an opera fan at all. I love to listen and appreciate the quality of technique required to play certain pieces.

My favorite classical piece is Albonini's Adaggio in G - pretty much the only piece anyone knows from him tongue.gif. Anyway, it's in the movie Gallipoli and whenever I think about it, I think about the movie and it brings me powerfully sad thoughts.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(arche @ Mar 10 2005, 07:26 PM)
My favorite classical piece is Albonini's Adaggio in G - pretty much the only piece anyone knows from him tongue.gif. Anyway, it's in the movie Gallipoli and whenever I think about it, I think about the movie and it brings me powerfully sad thoughts.
[snapback]129805[/snapback]

ah, yha.. i know that piece(the only one i know from him)... it has a very impressing beginning^^

P.S.: welcome back, arche^^
Quistis88
QUOTE(arche @ Mar 10 2005, 11:26 AM)

Am I a sad, sad person if I've never heard of him? mellow.gif

arche's post made me take a look at my CD collection as well, and I find that everything that is not burned is practically all instrumental. ph34r.gif 3 of them are Christmas CDs and the 3 that are piano solos are all jazz/lounge-like, such as "Entertaining Solo Piano for Cocktails." Why do I even have this stuff . . .
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Mar 10 2005, 10:14 PM)
Am I a sad, sad person if I've never heard of him?  mellow.gif
[snapback]129877[/snapback]

no.. you're not.. albinoni isn't very famous..... i only know this(only piece i know) piece from him, because i searched the download-machines for "baroque music".... and surprisingly it showed me albinoni's g- thing...^^
Firewitch-Robin
I love classical though I prefer the slow and soft classicals over the loud and fast unless it's like the Tempest cuz that one was incredible.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Mar 10 2005, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Mar 10 2005, 10:14 PM)
Am I a sad, sad person if I've never heard of him?  mellow.gif
[snapback]129877[/snapback]

no.. you're not.. albinoni isn't very famous..... i only know this(only piece i know) piece from him, because i searched the download-machines for "baroque music".... and surprisingly it showed me albinoni's g- thing...^^
[snapback]129882[/snapback]

He's not famous at all. In fact, even people who specialize in music don't know much about him. That one piece is really his only famous piece. I have a CD of other works by him and they're not bad, but nothing really phenomenal like Bach or other famous Baroque musicians.
Celestial Shadow
I love classical music! One of my faves is Pachbel Canon (sp?) It's so beautiful...I like most of the old composers, Beethoven,Bach,Mozart, but I like some of the new stuff too. Most of the new stuff I like comes from anime and video games though, but I can't help but love the pretty instrumentals they sometimes have. Pretty much anything with a piano and a violin is gonna be good. (No not just because the only thing I can play is a violin >_< ) Truthfully, I need more instrumental and classical music.
ἀρχή
I'm currently listening to Arnold Schönberg's Three Piano Pieces. It's a good example of atonal music. You get a general sense of a key, but it then slips out and moves on, so you never really get a sense of a key.

I've got to find Survivor from Warsaw. It was my first introduction to atonal music and I'm still getting used to it.
Celestial Shadow
What is atonal music exactly?
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Mar 18 2005, 09:23 PM)
I love classical music! One of my faves is Pachbel Canon (sp?) It's so beautiful...
[snapback]135636[/snapback]

yes.. the pachelbel canon in D-major is the most perfect canon(in its harmony) that i know... this leading of the accords(which always are repeated) sounds very complete, full and perfect in itself... it was often used in many after-pieces from other composers, until now...

QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Mar 18 2005, 11:32 PM)
What is atonal music exactly?
[snapback]135715[/snapback]

uhm, first this atonal music sounds as if it is music which is composed by accidentally hitting on any keys of the piano(it seems that it does not mater what you're playing).....

but if you pay more attention, you hear that some themes and subjects are repeated.. that means that the composer indeed got a certain structure in the music...

but to me, this atonal music doesn't sound very aesthetical^^^^
Celestial Shadow
It doesn't sound like it would be very pretty. Maybe cool in that you can pick up hidden patterns but that's it. I'll stick with the classics ^.^ And that bit of knowledge about Canon was interesting to know, thanks.
ἀρχή
atonal music basically is music without an actual key. We're very trained to be used to tonal (key related) music, so it's tough to get into something that isn't related to a key. I still find it hard on a first listen to enjoy music like this, but after hearing a piece a few times, I can begin to appreciate it's dissonance and odd resolutions.

In a more musical sense, atonal music treats all 12 tones equally as valid, so there isn't a gravitation point of resolution. Dissonance is hard to appreciate (real dissonance). I have to prepare myself intellectually and emotionally to listen to this type of music, but I believe that good pieces with this evoke more in me than the typical classics.
Slashrose1010
I just downloaded some songs from Beethoven and Mozart, and plan on getting more. I will flip through this thread later and probably try some of the songs mentioned, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Quistis88
I'm happy you're trying to get into classical now, Slash. biggrin.gif

Go for some Chopin if you like piano music (Polonaise in A-flat, Op. 53 is a favorite of mine), and try some of Mozart's operas (Die Zauberflöte has some good stuff).
Slashrose1010
I couldn't find that first one by Chopin, but I did enjoy the other one you suggested. I have always liked the commonly heard pieces like Greensleeves, Fur Elise, and Moonlight Sonata, but I have never really listened to any of these great composers in depth. I guess, I finally decided to listen to more now out of boredom, curiosity and impulse. I wonder who really influenced Mana classically. I love his style, especially in Moi dix Mois. Who are some great Gothic Composers? (french or italian preferably?)
Quistis88
Sorry, not very familiar with Gothic composers, if there were any (which I'm sure there were, but I've never heard of any).

You liked the other one I mentioned? Die Zauberflöte? ALL of it?
Slashrose1010
Ano... Yes? Why wouldn't I like it? blink.gif I dunno, the one I have is 6:34 minutes long... is that the correct amount of time?

Aww, shucks... I wanted to hear some gothic stuff tongue.gif Are there any other composers/pieces I can leech off of? ohmy.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Sep 24 2005, 11:41 AM) [snapback]291615[/snapback]

Ano... Yes? Why wouldn't I like it? blink.gif I dunno, the one I have is 6:34 minutes long... is that the correct amount of time?

Aww, shucks... I wanted to hear some gothic stuff tongue.gif Are there any other composers/pieces I can leech off of? ohmy.gif

The entire Die Zauberflöte is about 2 hours long. It's an opera, after all, and since it's a singspiel, there should also be spoken dialogue.

Catch me on MSN one time and I'll send you a few things. smile.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
hello, this is a famous classical music from Johann Sebastian Bach played by me...^^
Quistis88
Ahh, I've heard this one before but did not know what it is called. Very nicely done, Prinz. smile.gif Bach is difficult to play, especially on guitar, I think.
Aog
Im in band at school so get to hear a lot of music.
Right now were learing how to play "Menuet from Anna Magdalena's Notebook" By J.S. Bach. I play a trumpet.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Aog @ Oct 25 2005, 09:22 PM) [snapback]304195[/snapback]

Im in band at school so get to hear a lot of music.
Right now were learing how to play "Menuet from Anna Magdalena's Notebook" By J.S. Bach. I play a trumpet.

that's nice... Bach is nice!^^
Aog
Its hard to play though...
Quistis88
Of course it's hard. It's Bach. tongue.gif
adamclark
i particularly love beethoven. moonlight sonata is one of my favorite pieces of music. i even bought one of those cheap $10 cds you can get at walmart or target with "classical piano" and put it on my ipod.
cornmaster
Gustav Holst's Planets Suite is pretty awesome, but it's an hour long unless you download each song seperately (you need to use the name of the planet). My favorite "planets" are Jupiter-the bringer of jollity and Uranus- the magician. Hungarian Dance #5 is pretty sweet too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.