Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rurouni Kenshin
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Shadow Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story (るろうに剣心 -明治剣客浪漫譚- Rurōni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Rōmantan?),[1] also known as Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X. directed by Kazuhiro Furuhashi, began airing on Japan's Fuji TV on January 10, 1996 and ended on September 8, 1998. It was produced by Aniplex and Fuji TV, and was animated from episode 1 to 66 by Studio Gallop, whereas the episodes from 67 onwards were animated by Studio Deen.
(Source - Wiki)

List of Characters

Plot Summary: Himura Kenshin is a vagabond with a dark past and sunny disposition. Not a ronin but a rurouni, he was never a samurai, but an assassin of utmost skill in the Meiji restoration, who in the turning point of the war simply walked away. His travels lead him to Tokyo in the 11th year of the Meiji era, where he befriends a female Kendo master, a former thief, a brawler and a doctor all with their own secrets. Together they fight off the enemies surfacing from the dark past that Kenshin cannot escape.

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, romance
Themes: historical, martial arts, ninja, samurai
Episodes: 95
Age Rating: Older Teen
(Source - ANN)

--------

*points to topic title*

*insert witty dialogue here*

<Edit the thread title form "What?!? No Kenshin?, C'mon, someone has to like it, right?" to "Kenshin (anime)" 05/25/07 ~Tombow>
Gashole
*insert a remark here*

Kenshin the anime sucks anyway.
xrninja
i didn't find anything after the shishio arc was particularly interesting. i didn't like kenshin or kaoru (<--recycled VA from a jillion dubs) voices in the dub, though. sano's was pretty good.
Tashi
yep, everything after the shishio arc was pure crap. but up till the end of that arc, i thought it was pretty decent, the OVA's kick major butt
Shadow Alchemist
So true. I need to see them again...
alchemist_master
man, Kenshin is awesome! *wispers Tashi has a point*
Akaina
That's because that was all filler... the manga is soooo much better. Go read scanlations or pick up the japanese ones or something, the english ones are too far behind.
In the manga we go from Shishio to Enishi... boom baby, the two villans right in a row. No dumb stuff in between. And it tells the story that is more complete than the OAVs do. I stopped watching a few episodes after the Shishio arc because I could tell it was a load of crap coming...
Ruroken the manga was awesome, the anime was so-so.
sevter
I actually liked the Anime better *ducks thrown objects*. The manga was a bit wordy on the technical aspects of swordplay and I didn't really like the art. The anime's art was better. I missed a few episodes though.

~Sevter "love Saitou" Maxwell~
Kihaku
I really liked the anime until after the part of the arc with Shougo and Sayo... I really liked that wink.gif then I started to lose interest and hope to finish it quickly, which I did wink.gif. The series did keep me otherwise pretty entertained. I also liked the first OVA, but the second was... quite horrible. I almost actually hated that...
I have read very litte of the manga. Not enough to compare, but it seemed a little better (although then there wasn't much difference) Sanosuke is my ultimate favourite character from that series! *waves Sanosuke flag*
sevter
*carries Saitou banner* I'm pretty fond of Battousai, next to Saitou of course. Battousai not Kenshin. I think that it's pretty funny how Kenshin talked about Battousai and himself as if it was two different, separate entities...

Don't you think he have to accept Battousai as part of himself to make himself whole? In the manga, I don't think he accepted that fact, even in the end.

Plus can anyone explain to me why

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
Kitoky
I think Kenshin ( the anime ) is pretty good watching it from the aspect of the Meiji Era of Japan and the Revolution's up and downs.

I didn't really like any of the main character, my favorite is Saitou but you can't blame me, he's pretty darn cool.
sevter
QUOTE(Kitoky @ Dec 27 2004, 03:45 AM)
I didn't really like any of the main character, my favorite is Saitou but you can't blame me, he's pretty darn cool.

*hyperly jumping up and down* Nope. Nah. Certainly not. I think Saitou's got some of the coolest lines there are. Gotta admire the guy's dedication with his Aku.Soku.Zan. and don't forgot his extremely sadistic sense of humour. It's fun to tease Sano *whisper* Chickenhead
Jaganshi
Kenshin was ok. The only reason I watched the first half was Sano. I started to lose interest, then Saitou came in. So I continued to watch. Yay for Chickens and wolfs! Anyway, I thought that Samurai X Was WAAAYYY better. Its all good though, Reminds me alot of Samurai deeper kyo.
Dreakon
I like the anime a lot, never looked at the manga. Am I the only one that didn't like Sano's dub (though bare in mind I hate all subs anyways and generally like all dubs)? He seemed too mono-tone when he was angry. Oh well... tongue.gif
sevter
QUOTE(Dreakon @ Dec 27 2004, 08:00 PM)
I like the anime a lot, never looked at the manga.  Am I the only one that didn't like Sano's dub (though bare in mind I hate all subs anyways and generally like all dubs)?  He seemed too mono-tone when he was angry.  Oh well...  tongue.gif

Oroooo? Let me get this strait...you like dubs and hate all subs but you hate Sano's dub? blink.gif
Ryan227
I havn't really seen too much of the anime or the manga but I've liked what I've seen and I'd really like to see more. From what I have seen though: I really hated the opening and ending songs tongue.gif the first ones anyway I saw them in Japanese and English and I thought they were pretty bad both ways (well the Japanese opening actually wasn't SO bad). When I was watching the sub I really only paid attention to Kenshin's voice, I really liked his english voice better maybe it was because I heard it first but I felt that it should be deeper then it was in Japanese...
Elderberry
My favorite character is Soujirou...I thought his sword technique was cool and I could kind of relate to him... smile.gif <---trying to imitate the smile...

I read a bunch of the manga up to around volume 16, and then I read a volume or two somewhere near the start of the Revenge Arc...
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

I liked the anime, but I kind of stopped watching after the Kyoto Arc, too, since I already heard that it wasn't created by the manga-ka. Before that it was pretty cool though, even if it did seem a little cheesy sometimes (well, it's kind of an old series now...happy.gif).

I like the anime a lot, never looked at the manga. Am I the only one that didn't like Sano's dub? He seemed too mono-tone when he was angry

That's what I thought too! I mean, it actually wasn't a horrible voice, but I thought it wasn't rough enough for Sanosuke (Ueda Yuji did a stunning job, though)...Well, that was when I actually tried listening to dubs- Kenshin's dub voice was horrible...
sevter
QUOTE(Ryan227 @ Dec 28 2004, 11:35 PM)
I really hated the opening and ending songs  tongue.gif  the first ones anyway I saw them in Japanese and English and I thought they were pretty bad both ways (well the Japanese opening actually wasn't SO bad).

Really? I really liked "Heart of Sword"
Fresh_Coffee
I also like heart of sword. The anime well the Manga base part of it was really good XD but then it just got crappy when they wanted to make money and started making stupid eps, but I think kenshin has the best OVA's ever. It was so sad how Kenshin got his scar. I think kenshin is one of the best animes! I've never read the manga I don't know how good it is compared to the anime.
Slashrose1010
I didn't see much of the anime but I didn't particularly like it. It was a pretty smart show and has a good base story but I couldn't get into it.
Maaya
Sorry, just had to butt in and reply before my nostalgia leaves me. Rurouni Kenshin might be old, but it's what made me a manga-fan...5 years ago. The anime has some bad sides (fillers!) but I love it. The manga is amazing. The OAVs...I love. Man, I remember watching the anime, bad quality...in japanese (of course, the jap voices are great) on real player...still loving it...

*nostalgic smile*
Shou-chan
*Points to sig* happy.gif I've seen and read the anime and manga, and I just love the series. My favorite character would definately be Captain Sagara.
xrninja
captain sagara is incredibly hot. *wipes drool*
Ryan227
QUOTE(sevter @ Jan 2 2005, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE(Ryan227 @ Dec 28 2004, 11:35 PM)
I really hated the opening and ending songs  tongue.gif  the first ones anyway I saw them in Japanese and English and I thought they were pretty bad both ways (well the Japanese opening actually wasn't SO bad).

Really? I really liked "Heart of Sword"

Heh actually like I said I didn't see that much of the anime I've only rented a couple of DVDs from the very beginning of the series so I only saw the first opening and closing and those were pretty bad... but Heart of Sword is the one played at the end of the ones on TV right? I do like that one tongue.gif
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(xrninja @ Jan 2 2005, 07:04 PM)
captain sagara is incredibly hot. *wipes drool*

*hands ninja a hanky*

I carry one around whenever I'm watching the show.

I haven't seen much of the anime, only the beginning up to what Cartoon Network is showing now, and some scattered episodes later in the series that I can't seem to remember...

But I like it, simple as that.
Fresh_Coffee
I agree Soujiro is cool. The man only smiles!
Kute Mymy
[QUOTE]I agree Soujiro is cool. The man only smiles!

LOL! yeah he is koo! but i seem to like Yahiko better laugh.gif
sevter
QUOTE(Kute Mymy @ Jan 5 2005, 11:41 AM)
LOL! yeah he is koo! but i seem to like Yahiko better  laugh.gif

Yahiko? I like him too but not as much as I like the other characters. He's just like someone's bratty little brother. I'm sure that Kaoru was tempted to kill him more than a few times. laugh.gif
itsokihadsubway
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 3 2005, 05:52 PM)
I agree Soujiro is cool. The man only smiles!
[snapback]73465[/snapback]

He was wicked awesome! </Mainerism> I kinda had to step back when he was spazzing out when he started to experience all his repressed emotions, though. It went from "Hey, I'll kill you and smile while doing so" to "Ahhhhhhhhh! What are these feelings?!!!!!" and the like.

But yeah. Soujiro=cool
Username05
I like Kenshine, the movies are much better than the show, thats my opinion.
Lots of blood and guts, very gory.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I saw up to ep 20 of the Kenshin series. It's pretty good. I much prefer the Samurai X Trust and Betrayal to the series. The Kenshin in the series was much too doofy for my taste. But I would like to finish the series eventually. I was renting it from GreenCine for a while until my mail started to get screwed up and I had to cancel because I wasn't getting my DVD's anymore.

Curse you US mail, curse you to hell! mad.gif
Elderberry
I've seen most of the first part and a decent chunk of the Kyoto Arc, along with episode 95. The TV series is cute, although it's a little cheesy sometimes. The music of the series is pretty good, though. happy.gif

I agree that the OAV outshines the TV series in many ways. It's extremely violent in comparison, but very beautiful. rolleyes.gif
Mustang's Apprentice
I love the Kenshin series.

The only episodes I've seen are some random episodes in the first arc, but I've just recently ordered the Kyoto Arc from Blockbuster Online.

My favorite characters are probably Aoshi(just because of the kodachi and trenchcoat biggrin.gif )and Sojirou because he kicks ass.
Elderberry
Soujirou is my favorite character too! laugh.gif He's just so plain adorable! (And yes his skills are awsome~)
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Elderberry @ May 30 2005, 05:39 PM)
Soujirou is my favorite character too! laugh.gif  He's just so plain adorable! (And yes his skills are awsome~)
[snapback]182526[/snapback]

laugh.gif Soujirou is "da man", he is always smiling ~ He is also my favourite character and Hiko. Hiko is coolio he can't age, ever. 0_0
Mustang's Apprentice
I have a question concerning Soujiro.

I have yet to see the anime Kyoto Arc, but I've read the manga, and I want to ask what happens to Soujiro??

Does he just disappear after his defeat by Kenshin??
ALFA TSUME
QUOTE(Akaina @ Dec 7 2004, 07:59 PM)
That's because that was all filler... the manga is soooo much better. Go read scanlations or pick up the japanese ones or something, the english ones are too far behind.
In the manga we go from Shishio to Enishi... boom baby, the two villans right in a row. No dumb stuff in between. And it tells the story that is more complete than the OAVs do. I stopped watching a few episodes after the Shishio arc because I could tell it was a load of crap coming...
Ruroken the manga was awesome, the anime was so-so.
[snapback]50685[/snapback]

I agree with Akaina
i heard the comics where being made to slow and the movies whrer made faster than the production so its not that the 3rd season whith shogo amakuza was bad it just was
DameGreyWulf
RK is a good one
Sano own everything
RianDarkAngel
I love the Rurouni Kenshin series. I cried during the final two episodes >< ( The "Reflection" eppies)
StrawberryShampoo
RK is one of my favorite animes.... but I haven't seen the whole series yet. The furthest I've seen is the episode right after Shishio (sp?) was defeated. As for my fav. characters.....Sano and Soujiro.
DameGreyWulf
I don't know how far I've seen, I never keep track..
But I have episodes 1-29 burned onto a data disk
Dubbed though...
xMartelx
Ruroken is one of my favorite anime and manga. I like Sojiro too! tongue.gif
Shizuka85
I love Rurouni Kenshin! It's one of my favorite anime. My favorite character is Misao.
*~vachi~*
YAY!!
I was starting to think there were no rurouni kenshin fans!!
I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally like this anime!! itīs so great! and gotīs a great story...and itīs funny sometimes! (almost always)
itīs a shame that the revenge arc never come(or came, i donīt know... unsure.gif)
Well, my favorite character is...hard to say...soujiro and aoshi are both cool, but i think soujiro is stronger than aoshi...thatīs what i think...only a girl opinion...
OH!! i know !! My FAVORITE character is...Yukishiro Tomoe!! (female character) u can only watch here in the OVAS but she is the best character(also in the manga) and Kenshin (Shinta) is the best male character. (haha)
(i know, iīm weird...u didnīt ask for my favorite character...but i just want to say it...sorry!)
ice_cobalt
The revenge arc? Oh, it did come, in the form of the second OVA. I love that part, although manga readers of Rurouni Kenshin would prefer the manga since it's more informative, rather than the squeezed OVA.

My favorite male character is...Yahiko. Hehehe. He is absolutely adorable, although he whines and all. laugh.gif

Do I have a fave female character? Do I? Nah. I don't. laugh.gif
shinjikun
For a while, I had considered Ruroni Kenshin to be my favorite anime. I was never able to see the entire series, though. I did, however, see the special edition Samurai X video series. The first half was simply beautiful. However, the latter couple of episodes did nothing for me, although the series, in my opinion, was given a nice and tidy conclusion. I guess I'm a sucker for tragedies.

Cheers,
Shinji

Here ya go:
Lee_1995
I use to watch this anime when I was young like 5 or 6 its gettig old,yes,I know...
Winter Phantom
The show was good,and had a very simple ending.It was okay.I just hoped it was longer.
Hanozo
^^Yea the show just died after the Shishio series, but the manga is insane, my cousin gave me all of the volumes and you won't be able to compare the manga and anime smile.gif
fawks
I really enjoyed the anime (up til the fillers) and the manga... though during the final big fight the manga was just throwing in a bunch of names of sword techniques that i never remembered what they meant...

the OVAs were great... anyone know if samurai x: reflection is based on the manga? since i never saw that part in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.