Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Mustang And Tonights Ep
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
damanimelover
ohmy.gif Wow I am shocked at this character. I didnt know he was evil! What a devious character. I cant believe he lied and used the boys. Here I thought the ones from the other ep were the bad guys..the girl and the guy who did what ever he did to the faith guy back in ep 1 and 2. I dont think I am going to like this mustang guy at all! mad.gif
xrninja
exactly how carefully were you watching and listening? roy did what he did for ed's own sake; without a recommendation from a highly-ranked officer, ed wouldn't be able to take the national alchemist test. then the series would be crap...roy mustang and his gang are the good guys.
hagane_no_tokage
watch and learn, my little friend... roy has his own agendas sometimes, it's true, but he's really not a bad guy at heart. i didn't like him much at first, either (except for the fact that he was...extremely attractive... wub.gif ), but once you get to know him better, you will want to squeeze him just like the rest of his fans.

plus the dub didn't do his character justice at all... watch the fansubs, he comes across quite different in the original version. the dub makes him sound like a pedophile and a psychopath. yes, he's a tad twisted and a bit of a delinquent...and he does love a good joke at a friend's expense, but he's not a bad guy once you learn a little more about him... you'll see he does what he does for the good of the people important to him.
xrninja
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Dec 5 2004, 12:51 AM)
plus the dub didn't do his character justice at all...  watch the fansubs, he comes across quite different in the original version.  the dub makes him sound like a pedophile and a psychopath.

are you serious? blink.gif (grrrrAAAHH inner xrninja just exploded) but the dub here doesn't air for another 7 minutes, so i guess i'll see for myself.....and if they screw up riza, i swear, all hell is gonna fricking break loose.
hagane_no_tokage
yah, i couldn't even continue listening... ~_~ i had thought that the dub for hagaren was decent...until i heard roy. now i'm boycotting. *gets picket sign* hell no, roy would never sound the way you made him! hell no, roy would-- dry.gif i need a different catchphrase...

whadda we want?
GOOD DUBS!
when do we want 'em?
YESTERDAY!
Zio
So you hate the dub just because of Mustang's voice? That's sad. It's tolerable for me. And Hughes's voice and Hawkeye's voice is better than I expected.

(Wait, I got hooked on FMA because of the dubbed version, so I guess I don't know much, huh?)
damanimelover
I went back and watched it a 2nd time and he still used them. Sure if it want for him they most likely wouldnt of been able to take the test but he did tell them before that they could take the test so right there was a lie. Also as he told his people he had a backup plan on the train and that was the boys. Also you forget to mention how the one eye guy was set to do this by mustang so hence my feelings he is evil!
hagane_no_tokage
@Zio: hey, i gave it a chance... but i just can't sit through something that does no justice to one of the best characters... i hadn't watched hagaren (even tho i had it downloaded), and i saw the first ep by chance one night on adult swim, and i was like, "hey, this is pretty cool!" so i decided to go watch it... but even tho the dub was what prompted me to actually sit down and watch the subbed version i had dl'd, and even tho i thought it was pretty okay initailly, once i learned how poorly mustang's voice had been done, i just couldn't respect it anymore.

i'm sort of one of those hated sub-purists, you could say... i'm super-critical of dubed anime, because i really don't think a lot of effort goes in to keeping the character voices and motivations at the same caliber as the originals... half the time, it's as if the actors have NO IDEA the motivation and BG of the character they are playing, and to me, that is what is sad...
Queen of the dammed
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! MUSTANG-SAMA: A PEDO AND PSYCO!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! STUPID FUNI!!!!!! YOU SCREW UP MY ROY!!!!!!!! MY ROY!!!!!! MY TAISA!!!!!!!!!! ROY IS A GOOD GUY YOU HEAR ME!!!!! A GOOD GUY!!!!!
xrninja
QUOTE(damanimelover @ Dec 5 2004, 01:11 AM)
I went back and watched it a 2nd time and he still used them. Sure if it want for him they most likely wouldnt of been able to take the test but he did tell them before that they could take the test so right there was a lie. Also as he told his people he had a backup plan on the train and that was the boys. Also you forget to mention how the one eye guy was set to do this by mustang so hence my feelings he is evil!

bald (bard would have sounded cooler. did anyone else expect him to have a lower voice, like the original?) wasn't set up to attack general hakuro (i can't believe they're calling him haRUko, why change it?); he was attacking him regardless, for his own reasons. and if ed didn't have a recommendation, it's not that they "most likely wouldnt of been able to take the test," they WOULDN'T have been able to. the military's not going to arbitrarily make exceptions for a cute short kid and a suspicious-looking suit of armor. roy didn't trick them out of malice -- roy is the reason ed will be able to take the test and gain power he desired. or else he would have been sent back to rizenbool and the series wouldn't be worth watching.

and i'm still a die-hard sub fan, but this dub episode was okay. the only voice that really sounded like the original's was marin-chan's, though mellow.gif ed's voice is growing on me, riza's was passable (my dad was hogging the tv so i didn't hear her "wari komi shitsureishimasu. go kagetsu de wa mada umaremasen kara!!" or hughes gushing over gracia and fetus elysia), and roy's would be better if he'd change the inflection in his voice more often, he's way too monotone and emotionless. hughes, though -- oh hughes, what have they done to you. i'm so sorry, hughes!!
hitokiri
yeah its honestly cause of the voice that roy comes off that way. get your hands on a subbed copy of ep 5 and then make the judgement. and even if you still feel that way wait till 37.

riza was ok, but i felt that hughes was to clownish.

i'm with hagane, i really hate funimation but i honestly tried my hardest enjoy the dub but naw....no thanks sub and raws will do for this guy

but i am glad those of you who havent seen FMA before the dub to be able see it now, though i do suggest obtaining subbed copies and checking them out. listen to emotions that are conveyed, much different that the us dub interpretation. honestly its like some of the people who do the voices (i called them this cause i really don't consider them actors in any capacity) had never seen nor heard of FMA until the morning that they showed up to record the lines.
Evil_Alice
I thought it WAS pretty mean
But it meant that Ed could take the test
I thought that in general, it was a interesting episode.
But when Ed went on the top of the train, I thought he was gonna fall off and land in the ocean. I thought the part with the terrorists shoting at Alphonse and getting hit by ricocheting bullets was funny also.
Zio
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 5 2004, 01:38 AM)
but i am glad those of you who havent seen FMA before the dub to be able see it now, though i do suggest obtaining subbed copies and checking them out. listen to emotions that are conveyed, much different that the us dub interpretation. honestly its like some of the people who do the voices (i called them this cause i really don't consider them actors in any capacity) had never seen nor heard of FMA until the morning that they showed up to record the lines.

And you know the deatiled workings of how the voice actors got the job? No, you do not.

And I will not get the subbed copies because of several reasons:
1. My laptop is very old and can't handle anime episodes.
2. Downloading stuff is grounds for immediate termination of my internet acess.
3. Last time I checked, downloading fansubs of licensed animes is illegal.
4. Why should I buy a bunch of Hong Kong subtitled crap where the dubbed version makes less mistakes.
5. I just don't want to, because the important thing to realize is: The manga is 100 times better than any form of the anime could ever be. In fact, it's like that with 99.7% of the anime/manga series. (The only exceptions I have seen are Excel Saga and FLCL)
Evil_Alice
You shouldn't download the subs if it's illleagal, ya know
It might be better, but it's illeagal
[/public service announcement]
I could just get em from Japan leagally
^__^
hagane_no_tokage
QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 5 2004, 02:07 AM)
And you know the deatiled workings of how the voice actors got the job? No, you do not.

And I will not get the subbed copies because of several reasons:
1. My laptop is very old and can't handle anime episodes.
2. Downloading stuff is grounds for immediate termination of my internet acess.
3. Last time I checked, downloading fansubs of licensed animes is illegal.
4. Why should I buy a bunch of Hong Kong subtitled crap where the dubbed version makes less mistakes.
5. I just don't want to, because the important thing to realize is: The manga is 100 times better than any form of the anime could ever be. In fact, it's like that with 99.7% of the anime/manga series. (The only exceptions I have seen are Excel Saga and FLCL)

maybe we don't know the detailed workings of the profession...but from a fan's point of view, it's extremely disappointing to see such shabby workmanship on the behalf of the characters we love. it seems that, while animation that is in english to begin with [disney, pixar, don bluth, etc], voicework is very professionally done... the emotions in the voices fit the mood of the scenes, and the characters are all protrayed the way it seems they were meant to be protrayed. now, i know that re-dubbing things is not easy, i've done it a few times, it's tough to make sound match lips that are already moving...but that's no excuse for poor execution of emotion. maybe we're wrong when we say that the voice actors for anime dubs have not seen the anime they are dubbing in it's original form...but it just seems to serve to reason, when placed in comparison to other animation with english voicework, that the caliber of anime dubbing is sub-par, and we look for a reason to explain why that might happen.

and yes, downloading fansubs of liscenced anime IS illegal... but i think it would be safe to say that most of us got most of the anime before it was liscenced...therefore making it no less legal than taping cartoons off TV. and just because the dubbed version doesn't have mistakes in the subtitling, it DOES have a lot of things that were lost in translation. so is that really any better than a hongkong sub with choppy words? and yes, i will admit that most manga is better... i do look forward to reading the rest of the manga as if continues. but if the subject is over the anime, i think i speak for most of the audience when i say that the dubbed version of hagaren just can't hold a candle.

nobody was looking to start a fight...the argument over sub vs. dub will never end, because there will never be a winner on a subject of opinion...
knuckles_79
wow thats a lot of typing
Elderberry
QUOTE(knuckles_79 @ Dec 5 2004, 04:37 AM)
wow thats a lot of typing

I'd recommend getting accustommed to large blocks of text here and there, knuckles_79-san. happy.gif Sometimes you need to type a lot to prove your point.
jarrylyathealchemist
QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 5 2004, 01:06 AM)
So you hate the dub just because of Mustang's voice? That's sad. It's tolerable for me. And Hughes's voice and Hawkeye's voice is better than I expected.

(Wait, I got hooked on FMA because of the dubbed version, so I guess I don't know much, huh?)

That is so petty,hating the dub over one little character. Who's voice actor in my opinion did a very nice job with what he had! Mustang was always an enigma to me to begin w ith. It takes a while to get to know a character like that. The dub does a great job bringing that out! So,please stop the dub bashing.

Besides,they got Hughes just right,I think.
Kirara
I have been lurking for awhile and have been debating whether or not to post but I think this post deserved my attention.

I personally can't wait to see the sub version of FMA, but right now I am enjoying the dub. Although I am behind in the anime I have read all the manga that has been released and I think I have a fairly good idea of who the characters are. I was worried about the intrepretation of Roy, Riza and Hughes too. And although I am sure that when I hear the sub I will enjoy it more because in general I prefer subs, the dub is just fine in the meantime. I would think the dub is doing its job because I don't know any new fans who were turned off of FMA because of the voices. I think sub fans should realize that sometimes it is hard to get used to something that is different. I know I am guilty of this when it comes to subs and dubs.

But to say that the voice actors don't care about the show is plain BS. In fact both the voice of Edward and Roy have stated that they are in love with the show. Now I still think Ed's voice is too old, but I do really appreciate that he cares and I can see that in his performance. I also know the voice of Roy cares considering he stays up late on Saturday nights to chat with fans. If that is not dedication I don't know what is. So I do understand if you dislike the dub, everyone has a right to their own personal preference. But I think you should give the english VA's a little more credit, whether you believe ir or not they are trying and they do care.
edsgirl
Nicely said kirara ! I'm new to the series, as well as the manga, it kinda dissapoints me to here dub bashing being new to the show. I think the voices are done pretty good, compared to some other anime's done in sub. By far this is the best ep. yet . I hope they keep up the good work! tongue.gif tongue.gif
Kihaku
I'm pretty shocked at what I'm reading...I don't watch the dub..but Roy's voice can't be that bad. I heard that it was supposed to be good . But you would know better.
And what's this with Roy being a bad person! No, no, no! he's one of the best people there are! Probably even too good... *cries*. Is that what the ep made him seem like? I can't remember it that well...but I don't remeber ever thinking that he was evil! Go Roy! *waves flag*
Reivier
QUOTE(Evil_Alice @ Dec 5 2004, 02:15 AM)
You shouldn't download the subs if it's illleagal, ya know
It might be better, but it's illeagal
[/public service announcement]
I could just get em from Japan leagally
^__^

Downloading subs is legal in Canada. tongue.gif
FullMetal Edward
I was just suprized how different his attitude was in the anime from the manga
luciferownsme
Roy is evil appearing in the dub? I never thought Roy was evil, a jerk maybe but evil no.... curse my lack of channels! I must see how awful it could be! (don't ask why...I just do, kinda like how I watch Yu-Gi-Oh! in English even though I saw it all in Japanese)

And pedophile? he's a pervert not a pedophile. We want the miniskirts not the huggling of little children! MINISKIRTS!
hitokiri
you know all legality issues aside we are stating ours opinions here. so if someone doesn't like the dub just because of one char's voice that's their right. hell i could simply hate the dub cause i feel the color saturation level is a little off (though thats not the case). just like its your right to like the dub, i merely suggested trying out the dubs. so in short....i'm sorry you have a problem with someone trying to make suggestion, but quite frankly theres no need to try to take a high horse i'm right and your a downloading criminal punk stance. but whatever dude.

and i will/have admited that i AM biased towards subs and raws, not just because of VA stuff but quite frankly cause its IMPOSSIBLE to translate ANY language based on one protolanguage to any other language that is based on a different protolanguage, without at least some loss of context. thats just the plain truth. there are many words that just don't have proper come off just right when translated. again this is my opinion. but to those of you that speak an asian language and one that is not an asian language, think about it for a second... if you think i'm wrong, hey good for you..... if you think i'm right again good for you.....

oh and as for the manga supporters, i really enjoy the manga as well but the manga and the anime almost have nothing to do wtih each other. its like watching an anime and an ova. same chars, different interpretation.

in closing me, hagane and all the other sub/raw lovers are not trying to ruin your love of the dubbed FMA, but rather we are trying to further our love of the original FMA. if you don't wish to view it, hey thats your decision. we're just simplity putting it out there that maybe if you viewed it you might enjoy it.

peace
vegita625
QUOTE(xrninja @ Dec 5 2004, 01:37 AM)
general hakuro (i can't believe they're calling him haRUko, why change it?)

. . . . .

hughes, though -- oh hughes, what have they done to you. i'm so sorry, hughes!!

Maybe there was a typo in the script and when they finished one recording, they realized it and said "screw it, he's not gonna show up again, so just go with it..."

Also, with hughes, I thought it wasn't perfect, but nobody's perfect. I was laughing my ass off after hearing him yelling about his wife and daughter yelling, "That's great! They actually did a good job with him!" Him going gaga about his wife and kid did sound just like the japanese version imo (except the language and a tiny bit lower). "Hughes, can I give a female perspective on this? BABIES AREN'T BORN AFTER JUST 5 MONTHS!" "Oh man, she thinks we were serious?"
hitokiri
oh almost forgot...

luciferownsme: LOVE THE SIG PIC tongue.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 5 2004, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE(xrninja @ Dec 5 2004, 01:37 AM)
general hakuro (i can't believe they're calling him haRUko, why change it?)

. . . . .

hughes, though -- oh hughes, what have they done to you. i'm so sorry, hughes!!

Maybe there was a typo in the script and when they finished one recording, they realized it and said "screw it, he's not gonna show up again, so just go with it..."

Also, with hughes, I thought it wasn't perfect, but nobody's perfect. I was laughing my ass off after hearing him yelling about his wife and daughter yelling, "That's great! They actually did a good job with him!" Him going gaga about his wife and kid did sound just like the japanese version imo (except the language and a tiny bit lower). "Hughes, can I give a female perspective on this? BABIES AREN'T BORN AFTER JUST 5 MONTHS!" "Oh man, she thinks we were serious?"

i actually missed all the squealing, so i'll have the watch the first 10 minutes again when they replay it on thursday. but for all of his speech after than he talked in almost a -complete- monotone, and i was thinking, don't tell me he did the telephone scene like that too ph34r.gif but ahh did they add in the "she thinks we were serious" line in? i liked it better in the japanese version where the viewers are led to think that hughes is a complete goober and then you know a minute or so later that OH they were just checking the phone line! XD what about the part where roy hangs up and hughes is complaining about the phone line? "shoganei, naa..." and falman goes "shoganei no wa anata desho!" my sub translated is as "ahh, what a bummer..." and "you're the bummer!" which i thought was hilarious, even though it's a little off of the original laugh.gif how did the dub translate it?
Kirara
and i will/have admited that i AM biased towards subs and raws, not just because of VA stuff but quite frankly cause its IMPOSSIBLE to translate ANY language based on one protolanguage to any other language that is based on a different protolanguage, without at least some loss of context. thats just the plain truth. there are many words that just don't have proper come off just right when translated. again this is my opinion. but to those of you that speak an asian language and one that is not an asian language, think about it for a second... if you think i'm wrong, hey good for you..... if you think i'm right again good for you.....

That is absolutely true, but in that case you cannot win unless you are fluent in the language so you can watch it raw because subtitles and dubs are still both translations of the original version. Just be happy that once the DVDs come out the original version will be on it. You are never going to get subs on tv, and some people are not lucky enough to be able to download the original version. As I said above I also prefer subs, because overall I do feel Japanese VA''s have more talent than their English counterparts. But I also think voice acting might possibly get more respect in Japan than the states...just a guess.

And personally I didn't think Roy sounded evil at all, he certainly did not sound like a pedophile. He sounded just fine to me. And as you said the anime is also just an intrepretation of the manga. I realize the manga and anime are extremely different. But since the manga came first, the anime is still an intrepretation of it. The english version is also an intrepretation. Also you have to consider that the Japanese producers had a part in how the characters would be voiced. Vic Mignoga stated that he wanted to play Ed higher but the Japanese producers told him to play it lower. I think it is safe to assume that they might also have had a part in the intrepretation of Roy in the English version.
xrninja
i think it'd be cool if hagaren was played on the international channel; they always keep the anime they play subbed (like slayers and evangelion). and they play it around 9, which is good for the early-sleepers.
Kirara
Except not everyone gets the international channel (including me) so that would be horrible. But if I had the channel I wouldn't mind, except I thought they played anime raw without subs?
Toby-Chan
I'd agree with you, that they didn't have to add the "She thinks we're serious" line, just to dumb it down. It does make Hughes seem like less of a 'goober', and even makes Hawkeye seem a little foolish. O.O And as we all know, 'Hawkeye' and 'Foolish' don't belong in the same sentence together. She's by far the most sensible person on the cast.

I did like Hughes' voice, but the line changing was a little too... you know. He sounds sentimental and goofy in the original, and in the dub he sounds... well, I don't recall him saying anything about a "Hot love goddess", or 'Hormones' in the original.

The one line I did like for him was "Good grief", because, well. It's just so goofy and Hughes-ish that it made me giggle!
(They should have made him say "What a bummer" in the dub. That woulda been so fantabulous!)
angieness
You guys are forgetting that in the very first few episodes Roy does seem like an arrogant jerk I mean that's how he originally came off! I think the voice reflects that. Of course he's not evil and of course we have yet to see the many layers of Roy come up. Hughes' voice cracked me up, I didn't think it was bad it was just funny cause I could still hear Krillin in his voice. Hawkeye's voice sounded good to me, she sounded in character and pretty close to how I pictured her.

As for everyone complaining even if you despise the dub and hate Funi

BUY THE DVDS! ^^; Support the original creators! The money spent on the Funi DVDs DOES go towards the original creators. Also the original studio did have input on the English voices so you should complain about them too laugh.gif
edsgirl
I think that the voice fit roy's charecter just fine. Now I haven't seen the fansubs yet, but I think it suits his personality . Shoot me if I'm wrong! tongue.gif I have a feeling i'm totally going to die.
Nips
I'm quite fine with Roy's voice. It could have been a bit better, and it could have been a lot worse. Keep in mind, though, that this is only the what... fifth episode? The second episode Roy is featured in. Travis Willingham will most probably grow on me, like Ed's and Al's are right now.

Besides, I won't be able to make a real assessment until episode 13... Mini skirto! ;P
Queen of the dammed
Actualy, after watching it a few times over, it doesn't sound too bad...Well it does pull Roy's personality ok-ish...
Ok I missed this week's episode of FMA, but now I'm curious...I know the re-run is Thursday at 12:30, but does that mean tomorrow night or the night after? This is why I try to avoid watching anything after midnight...the days get too confusing...
xrninja
i think they mean 12:30 thursday as in 12:30 early early friday "morning." tongue.gif i watched one of the episodes going by that time, anyhow.
Nips
The Thursday re-run is technically on at Friday morning, a.k.a. 12:30 a.m. So you go through Thursday, don't sleep, watch FMA, and when you sleep after that, you'll wake up to a Friday morning.
biggrin.gif Thank you both!
mei_tenshi
To Nips: When you put it that way, I wish I had a big tall pitcher of coffee by the TV. I watch the Saturday ones, so that's a little better (get 'em while they're fresh!). So if it's on at midnight, would that be Saturday night or Sunday morning? Just curious...
Cloud28
so this eps 7?
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Cloud28 @ Dec 7 2004, 06:40 PM)
so this eps 7?

I thought we were on 5...? huh.gif
Toby-Chan
We are on episode 5. Episode 5 is fun. Episode 7 is... is.. ::Bites lip and goes to cry in closet:: I am spoling nothing! ;_;
vegita625
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Dec 7 2004, 06:20 PM)
To Nips: When you put it that way, I wish I had a big tall pitcher of coffee by the TV. I watch the Saturday ones, so that's a little better (get 'em while they're fresh!). So if it's on at midnight, would that be Saturday night or Sunday morning? Just curious...

On majority of 24-hour clocks, 12 midnight is considered 0 hour, so I'd say morning. Think about it, it goes from 11PM to 12AM. The way I like to look at it is this way: is 12 noon in the morning? Nope. So is 12 midnight offically night? Nope.
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(vegita625 @ Dec 8 2004, 11:35 AM)
On majority of 24-hour clocks, 12 midnight is considered 0 hour, so I'd say morning.  Think about it, it goes from 11PM to 12AM.  The way I like to look at it is this way: is 12 noon in the morning?  Nope.  So is 12 midnight offically night?  Nope.

Ack. Brain hurts. I'll just let my inner clock take over to get my body in front of the TV when FMA is on. wacko.gif
Fire_Cat
QUOTE(damanimelover @ Dec 5 2004, 12:43 AM)
ohmy.gif Wow I am shocked at this character. I didnt know he was evil! What a devious character. I cant believe he lied and used the boys. Here I thought the ones from the other ep were the bad guys..the girl and the guy who did what ever he did to the faith guy back in ep 1 and 2. I dont think I am going to like this mustang guy at all!  mad.gif

blink.gif How can you not like him he is cute to the max cool.gif
edsgirl
He's cute in a creepy best friends big egotistical way. Did I spell that right? Anyways, this charecter is growing on me , I kinda like him now!

I meant best friends little brother always staring at you kinda way! dry.gif

Note from Quistis: Posts combined. Like Kihaku said, please don't double post. smile.gif
Kihaku
Please, don't double post. Use the edit button. But I'm glad that you're starting to like Roy... although I don't undrstand what you meant...
Best friend's little brother? More like best friend's cute older brother tongue.gif
mei_tenshi
11 hours and 20 minutes to go...how will I survive?!?!?!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.