Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fruits Basket
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chibi-Usa
Fruits Basket (フルーツバスケット Furūtsu Basuketto?), sometimes abbreviated Furuba (フルバ?) Directed by Akitaro Daichi, the twenty-six episode Fruits Basket anime series was animated and produced by Studio DEEN. It premiered on TV Tokyo on July 5, 2001, with the final episode airing on December 27, 2001.
(Source - Wiki)

List of Characters

Plot Summary: Tohru Honda is 16 year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, the handsome boy Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure. However, these young men and parts of the rest of their family (both close and distant) hold a curse; if they are hugged by the opposite gender, they transform into animals of the Chinese Zodiac. Everyday is an adventure for sweet Tohru, as she gets to know everyone in the large family better (especially Yuki and Kyo), in both common and bizarre situations. But, the Sohma Family curse is certainly no laughing matter... it also holds horrible cruelity and heartbreak.

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: bishounen, body switching, love triangle, male harem
Episodes: 26
Age Rating: PG
(Source - ANN)

----------

I've seen just about 4 of the dvds and it's a great anime to me!And I just luv kyo-kyo!
anime lover girl
2 eps.that's all i've seen.but....I love Kyo too.
Kihaku
I've seen the whole series, just the anime though. I haven't read the manga, but I've heard that it still continues much further from where the anime left off.
All in all I think the series was really beautiful and touching. biggrin.gif
The idea was great and it had some good themes too. I liked the way the plot progressed, how it ended(although it seemed like there was a lot of unfinished buisness) and wrapped things. It was cute and poignant with a bit of hilarious parts too.The characters were great, individual and interesting. I really liked the cute bishonen look too biggrin.gif Hmm.. yes my favourite is Kyo. He's a cute, hothead with a lot of determination and a good heart, but I really like almost all of the characters. I wish that certain characters had been given more time to be focused on... but it was a fairly short series after all.
Alphonse
I'm a huge Furuba fan and I've read most of the manga and seen the whole series.
It's super seriously cute. Literally. Serious in the parts where you expected it to be and way cute in the rest. ^^ I love the little fights Yuki and Kyo have. My favourite character would definately have to be Hatsuharu. He's sexah awesome but I wish they would have focused more on him and Hiro. I think Hiro is adorable! ^^

The series, as a whole, was short but well made. Most of the characters were very well thought out and the plot was nicely done, aside from the quick cut off. The art was also very good.
Overall, I give the anime a whole 8/10. ^^
Ninie
I love this series very much, too! happy.gif My favorites are Haru and Shigure, but I like everyone! Okay, except for Rin... I read the manga more than I watch the anime, though.
Quistis88
Wasn't there already some sort of Fruits Basket thread that spread over a few pages?
Ninie
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 3 2004, 09:44 PM)
Wasn't there already some sort of Fruits Basket thread that spread over a few pages?

Maybe you're right... Now that I think about it, I think there's one...

*Go check*

EDIT: I didn't find one...
Vx Tao Ren xV
It may just be me, but did anyone else find the ending of the anime a little (just a little) dragged out..?
Kihaku
I actually loved the ending! I guess it's because it focused mainly on my favourite character... also it was the only "story"(I think) that lasted more than one episode, which gave the possibility to make it more in-depth. I probably loved the end most of all! biggrin.gif
Ninie
For the ending, they took an event in the manga and made it seems a lot more important than it really was... That's why I don't really like it, even if I really like Kyo... It focused too much on him, and
Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

I wonder what's the real ending's gonna be...
Kihaku
Yeah, I had that feeling too. But I loved it anyway!
Lucky you, you're reading the manga. Is it a lot different?
Ninie
I like the manga better. The anime stopped at something like the 4-5th book. The manga is longer, so there is more place for characterization (sp?) Characters like Kisa, Ayame, Hiro, Haru and Momiji who are seen only in a few episodes are much more developped. And there's manga-only characters like Kureno who are really great! And everyone's secrets are revealed, even the ones of Shigure and Akito, who were never explained in the anime. And Tohru is more intelligent than they wanted to show in the anime...
Kihaku
Wow! After the 5th book! I figured that they really wouldn't show much... but I was glancing at a few books and thought that the story seemed pretty much the same..
The manga is still ongoing isn't it? I really loved the anime and the manga is usually much better in most cases.. maybe I should check it out more... I've been meaning to for a long time biggrin.gif
Ninie
You should! And yes, it's still ongoing. There's scanlations, I think, but I don't read them. I only read it when it's published in french. They're at the 11th book, and I can't wait for the 12th! It'll be Ritsu on the cover! happy.gif
Kihaku
11 books in Japan too then?
Yeah, I wouldn't read the scanlations either... It's licensed by Tokyopop anyway..I just checked today that they're in the 7th book. I keep on checking in case I feel like buying... and the further they get the more money I'll have to spend at once if I decided to buy...
batou
I've seen the anime and am currently reading teh manga. I personally find the manga to be better for reasons already stated.
Toby-Chan
No, not 11 volumes. I personally own volume 14, so I know it's at least that. I got that back in June, so 15's probably out by now.

And, yeah, you may know there's a lotta hype about chapter 98. tongue.gif

That said, Fruits basket is, in my opinion, one of the best anime ever. It's the only one besides Haibane Renmei that challenges FMA on my favorites list. (They're pretty much all equal in my favorite-ness, but... I dunno. I think Furuba really takes the cake.)

I adore Tohru. More people should try to be that understanding. I think the world would be a better place if everyone watched Fruits Basket.
ronyaloe
I LOVE this anime!!!
I watched all 25 episodes and it was awesome!
It's one of my favorite anime.

Well.. I like most of all characters,
however, i like Hatori the most..
but really.. i like all of them.. tongue.gif
Kihaku
Toby-chan: chap 98? I read somewhere about a certain character being something else that wasn't so in the anime(drat I'm not being clear enough..) It's shocking to know when you haven't read the manga...
Yeah, I admire Tohru, although she seems sometimes a little too good.
Hmm..also Fruits Basket gave me a lot to think about with its certain themes. I loved the way situations were touchingly depicted *sighs*
For example Kisa's, Momiji's, Hatori's and of course Kyo's "stories".
Toby-Chan
Kihaku, I think I know what you're talking about, and yes, it's all true. (Gasp!) Crazy, isn't it?

Having begun with the anime, I was hesitant to read the manga, seeing as I couldn't imagine anything coming close to being as good as the anime, but I ended up beginning to read it, and like it. I wish it would come out in English faster, since I'm not fond of relying on word of mouth, and my own crappy Japanese reading skills.

The art was very good towards the beginning, nearly identical to the anime, but recently, it's gotten a little sub-par. (I believe the new style came around when the author took off a year for her hand or something)

The manga's good, anyhow. I reccomend it. biggrin.gif
Fire Alchemist
I think the Manga is better...coz...I understand it more...I have the whole series...it's soo cool...but I really think the Manga is better
dreamcatcher_alchemist
I've just started to collect the manga, though I can't find volume three anywhere. I love it, and I think I like it more then the anime, though the anime was very good.

is the whole hype about chapter 98:

Quistis88
QUOTE(dreamcatcher_alchemist @ Dec 8 2004, 07:26 PM)
I've just started to collect the manga, though I can't find volume three anywhere. I love it, and I think I like it more then the anime, though the anime was very good.

is the whole hype about chapter 98:

the thing with Akito being a woman or something to that effect?

I haven't seen chapter 98, but yes, I suppose it must be. I've seen someone post a scan of it. Rather . . . unexpected.

You can't find Vol. 3? All I ever see is Vol. 3! I can't seem to find any others. tongue.gif
dreamcatcher_alchemist
are you serious? out here all we see are 1,2,4, and 5. I want to buy the others, but I would like to have 3 before I read the others. you never know what you're going to miss. ^^;

I saw the DVDs for the anime in th store at the mall, yesterday. They wanted $30 a piece. >.< too expensive!
Kihaku
Wow! I'm feeling compelled to buy the manga.. *hands start to itch*
I've seen them in the shop and they're already up to 6.. or was it 7?..already. *counts money*. Well, there's always the cheaper German one, but they come out really slow...
No worries! If the manga isn't finished yet in Japan the English one will surely catch up. It's actually better if it comes out only once every two months, because they would catch up too quickly and then the wait would be longer.
DVDs... yeah, they're sooo expensive. I can't imagine buying them(not that I can find any anyway). If only they would squeeze more episodes into one..

*reads spoiler* So I was right. tongue.gif Kind of freaky and it changes certain things about the anime...
dreamcatcher_alchemist
yeah it does, though I haven't actually read that far yet.

I was re-watching the anime last night and I'm determined to get the dub. I really do wish they'd squeeze more than three episodes to a disk though. $30 is way too much, even for a great series like this.
Kihaku
But that part does come quite late...
*reads spoiler again* Ah, like that. Now that makes things interesting. Oh...I'm so wanting the manga more now!

It's only 3 episodes a disk? I thought it was 5... 9 disks..Okay I'm not typing that amount here tongue.gif . But if the manga is better, wouldn't it be satisfying enough to own that and be content with at least seeing the anime? That's how I usually think anyway.. but I can understand if you really want it.
dreamcatcher_alchemist
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Dec 9 2004, 04:42 PM)
But that part does come quite late...
*reads spoiler again* Ah, like that. Now that makes things interesting. Oh...I'm so wanting the manga more now!

hehe, me as well.

I like the fansubs I have, but its not all of the episodes and a few of them don't work either, so I'd like to own the entire series as well, you know? But that's what christmas is for, lol. I always get gift certificates to movie stores and this time I actually know what I want.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(dreamcatcher_alchemist @ Dec 9 2004, 08:19 AM)
yeah it does, though I haven't actually read that far yet.

It kind of makes you wonder, in both the anime and manga if that's the reason that Akito didn't let Hatori marry Kana, because there is an implied... well actually it may be stated, but I haven't read the chapter yet, hint that Akito and Hatori are lovers. I'd have to ask my friend to confirm that though

I was re-watching the anime last night and I'm determined to get the dub. I really do wish they'd squeeze more than three episodes to a disk though. $30 is way too much, even for a great series like this.

Actually, not exactly.

And, as for the dvd; What're you talking about? Furuba is like, the most cost-friendly US release ever. It's only 4 dvds, 6-7 episodes per disc. If you buy them at Target, they're 20 dollars each, and you can possibly find them cheaper online. The whole series retailing for 80 dollars is a super super bargain.
Kihaku
dreamcatcher: Well, good for you then! biggrin.gif

Huh? There are different versions of the DVDs? 80 doallars is quite a lot... but I guess it's little for 26 episodes...
*reads spoiler* Drat I'm always doing this! That definitelly brings another turn of events too! I prefered the first option though tongue.gif .
dreamcatcher_alchemist
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 10 2004, 02:47 AM)
From what I've heard, Shigure is in love with Akito.  And I'm guessing Kureno (The bird) was Akito's little slave for a while.  (But apparently, Kureno's into Uo.  o.o

And, as for the dvd;  What're you talking about?  Furuba is like, the most cost-friendly US release ever.  It's only 4 dvds, 6-7 episodes per disc.  If you buy them at Target, they're 20 dollars each, and you can possibly find them cheaper online.  The whole series retailing for 80 dollars is a super super bargain.

really?

target for $20? I know where I'm going today! mwahaha!
riyo
hi...did furuba have characters in the manga that weren't in the anime, like the rooster character, and other one i cant remember? I just kept thinking about that during the anime...
Ninie
Yes,
dreamcatcher_alchemist

Yeah, we didn't meet the Horse or the Rooster in the anime. pretty good though, 10 out of 12 animals. lol.
Ninie
QUOTE(dreamcatcher_alchemist @ Dec 12 2004, 12:48 AM)
I think I met Rin briefly in the manga though its not clear if its her. She was Haru's ex? yikes. She seems to be lean a little more towards Shii-chan in the few moments that we see her...

dreamcatcher_alchemist
Senefen
How many issuses of the manga are there
Kitoky
Furuba is ....wow.

I mean, of course Natsuki Takaya didn't intend it be a comedy but it turned out that way, and I think it's very entertaining to read and watch. It definitely has it's dark moments so there's a little bit for everyone.
My opinion:
[Note: Definition of opinion - do not put Kitoky's name on revenge list.]
Tohru-kun is...well...annoying, to me atleast. She does have her good points, but overall....well maybe annoying is too harsh of a word, how about "not exactly to my taste" kinda character? She's kind, she's ditzy yes, and she cares about people wayyy too much for her own good, but I think she beats herself up too much, seeing as though her mother, Kyoko was a very strong person, I would think Tohru would've been a bit stronger than this. I think I've already gotten sick of seeing Tohru's teary eyes. Though she is quite humorous at times ^^.

My favorite character is definitely Kagura. I can see why people would hate her because she's very devoted to Kyo to the point where she's so annoying you want to kick her out of the entire manga (or if you can even kick her period). I think her character needs to be looked into more. I think she feels that she is kinda left out of some things with the Sohma Family because she being the Boar -- since Boar is more for a masculine person. Though seeing her beat the crap out of Kyon-Kyon is absolutely hysterical. "Oh my god! Kyo-kun! Who did this to you!?"

She is absolutely devoted to Kyo, but she IS willing to give him up if it's best for him. To me that is the ultimate sign of love.

Am I ranting? I'm sorry *blush blush blush*
Kihaku
QUOTE(Kitoky @ Dec 13 2004, 05:12 PM)
I'm sorry all you Tohru-Yuki fans, it looks like it's gonna be Tohru-Kyo.

Wow! really? You think? *gets all wierd*. I actually prefer that one. Really! But

I agree with you. Tohru's attitude is just a little too good to be true and can be annoying. Usually I hate those types, but with all that she's been through I like to understand her.
I really like Kagura too biggrin.gif Well, I'd be her in the zodiac and she kind of reminds me of myself sometimes.. certain mood swings tongue.gif
Although I don't really like the fact of her beating my fav. character....
even if I love her obsessiveness over Kyo. biggrin.gif
Fire Alchemist
Fruits Basket is awesome...i need to buy volume 6 of the manga...i have the DUB and SUB of the anime...their separated...I got my SUB from Hong Kong...
Kitoky
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Dec 14 2004, 06:41 AM)
Wow! really? You think? *gets all wierd*. I actually prefer that one. Really! But
what about Kagura then?

For Kagura-

Since Kagura felt that she needed to be the first welcome Kyo with open arms to the Jyuunishi, she was blinded temporarily by the fact that Kyo doesn't only need her - he needs the rest of the Jyuunishis as well. She discovers alot about Kyo and why she needed to give him up.
Kihaku
Aha.... but... (okay this is probably not a spoiler but just in case)
Kitoky
Have you seen the series and read the manga? all of 'em?
Kihaku
Hmm.. I think I mentioned before that I've seen the whole series but I'm not familiar with the manga (read only a bit from the beginning), that's why I used "but that was in the anime" . If you remember, I'm really thinking of buying the manga too biggrin.gif Without that I'd kind of be missing essential parts of the story.
Kitoky
In some aspects the anime is alot funnier than the manga but the manga has just everything so I recommend gettin' the manga.
Kihaku
Yeah, many have! biggrin.gif I'll probably check it out next week when my friends and I are going to a certain shop.... I bet they're dreading it already...I can get very wild at that place... tongue.gif
dreamcatcher_alchemist
I need to pick up mangas 4 and 5 since those are all we have up to right now, but I have till wait till after christmas... makes me sad. then I can pick up the rest of the dubb as well.
Kitoky

Now did Natsuki Takaya-san surprised me on that one...like wow.
Kihaku
And I always read the spoilers tongue.gif
Yeah, like I mentioned before, that was really surprising. One reason why seeing the anime doesn't really count tongue.gif.
I still don't know how to react to that latter part... tongue.gif
dreamcatcher_alchemist
the latter part still saddens me though it makes sense. I don't like what it does to Shii-chan's personality though. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.