Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On The Dubbing Of Fma.. Read This If You Still Have Doubts...
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jarrylyathealchemist
"I want to say that I am as big a fan of the show. I absolutely LOVE Romi Paku's Ed and I've watched up through episode 48. (I promised myself that I would not watch the last three because I want to be suprised when I record them...ya know...geniune honest reaction and all
BUT...having said that, for all you who are interested, the japanese creators of FMA personally selected my voice to be the voice of Ed. They wanted him to have a little more of a male quality and a little more "weighty" tone. So while I don't sound like the Japanese Edward Elric, I do have the blessing of the ones who created Fullmetal Alchemist. Try to enjoy the English dub..... I can promise you that everyone working on the series adores it. FMA RULES!" ~ Vic Mignogna (Voice of Edward Elric)
Pushin_Love
Right on... wub.gif Vic's da man.... biggrin.gif
jarrylyathealchemist
QUOTE(Pushin_Love @ Dec 2 2004, 11:34 AM)
Right on... wub.gif Vic's da man.... biggrin.gif

Definitely the Man! XD
darkangelslayer
how old are u vic? cz you dont sound that old...and i heard that the vioce of ed was by a girl.
angieness
Damn straight! I always knew Vic was a fan of the show so I had faith in him :3
jarrylyathealchemist
QUOTE(darkangelslayer @ Dec 2 2004, 01:21 PM)
how old are u vic? cz you dont sound that old...and i heard that the vioce of ed was by a girl.

The japanese seiyuu was a girl,I believe. Vic is definitely a guy. XD Check out his site. I promise. No girl.
Guest_alchemist
lol, i thought jarrylyatthealchemist was actually vig mignogna. haha. but anyway, since the JAPANESE CREATORS HAND PICKED vic to be the voice of ed, i think that they expect him to do a fine job and have no worries about it. so please, all you 'DOWN W/ DUBS, UP W/ SUBS' people, just stop it ok. it's really getting repetitive and disrespectful to the people who actually put an effort into making FMA top notch.
jarrylyathealchemist
Nope,I'm not Vic. XD He's a hard worker though. If you go to his site,you'll see what I mean.
Forcystus
i think that the dub is better then the japanese
xrninja
you honestly think that vic mignogna and aaron dismuke (i can't spell that, argh) and co are doing a better job that paku romi, kugimiya rie, ookawa tohru, neya michiko and the other japanese seiyuu? hm.
jarrylyathealchemist
Well,I can't really judge from the sub vs. dub because I only saw a few episodes in Japanese,and I'm not even sure if I saw Ed or Al in those. It was the last six episodes. I didn't like it at that point because I was completely lost...... XD;;;; I think Vic does an outstanding job with what he's given,and those people who don't like dubs or think they're inferior to the sub,just think about it this way. As Vic so put, the people who are now dubbing FMA all have the highest respect for FMA's original VAs, and they are working hard to bring the characters to life for the American audience.
xrninja
i have a great amount of respect for vic for trying so hard to get into ed's character, even if i don't like him as ed. when you've heard paku romi & the other seiyuu as the voices for the characters for 51 episodes, it's hard to hear anyone else as ed. like, really as ed, because his original seiyuu brought out so much of the subtleties of his personality through ed's voice. so i'm just curious as to the reasons why a sub watcher prefers the american VA cast.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Forcystus @ Dec 4 2004, 03:57 PM)

*squints eyes in anger* pistols at dawn..... be there mad.gif
xrninja
that's what "inner xrninja" is screaming too.
Queen of the dammed
Ed was okay I suppose in the dub... BUT ROY!!!!!!! OH THE HORROR!!!!!!
hagane_no_tokage
ed was actually pretty decent, i will admit that... he did sound a tad too old, but in comparison to some horrible dubs i have seen, vic has done a pretty good job as our hero. but roy...oh! poor roy... oogawa-sensei would just die if he heard what they have done to his character... T_T
TheVileOne
QUOTE(xrninja @ Dec 4 2004, 09:01 PM)
i have a great amount of respect for vic for trying so hard to get into ed's character, even if i don't like him as ed. when you've heard paku romi & the other seiyuu as the voices for the characters for 51 episodes, it's hard to hear anyone else as ed. like, really as ed, because his original seiyuu brought out so much of the subtleties of his personality through ed's voice. so i'm just curious as to the reasons why a sub watcher prefers the american VA cast.

I can speak for myself, and here it is as simply as I can put it. I like not having to read the subtitles while watching the show. And you know what, I like hearing the series in a language I can understand. I think the voice actors do a pretty good job, so its not a big deal. I've seen the whole series fan-subbed, and I just think of the English dub as an excuse to watch the whole thing again and experience it in a new way.
Elderberry
I thought that the Aaron person voicing Al did a fairly decent job (according to Ichigo no Aku, he's a 12-year old boy...), and I actually kind of liked the dubbed Al's voice a little (not as much as Kugimiya-san's Aru, but I still thought it was kind of cute...)...except that it sounded like he was reading a monologue at times (like when he was explaining Alchemy to Roze in episode 1 or the preview episode at the end...Well, it's a big improvement from childish/chibi/semi-chibi voices I've heard in previous dubs... *shivers*

I've seen the whole series fan-subbed, and I just think of the English dub as an excuse to watch the whole thing again and experience it in a new way.

I suppose you could think of it that way, but when I watch the dubbed version, it always feels so emtpy (like 80% of the emotion has been left out)...

Well, I still really don't like Ed's dubbed voice, but it's really nice knowing that the voice actors actually do have an obsession for the series they're working on...

And while I'm feeling especially random, it would be fun if I could more to Dallas. I always wanted to try doing Wrath's voice.. rolleyes.gif
mei_tenshi
I've never seen the subs, so I'm in no position to judge, but as a financially challenged anime fan who only has access to the trickle of anime on Cartoon Network, I'm grateful for anything -- dubs included.

Though Roy does sound a little creepy.
Shadow Alchemist
X_X

Gah! Must...see...fan-sub!

*dies again*
Sycia
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Dec 5 2004, 08:33 PM)
I suppose you could think of it that way, but when I watch the dubbed version, it always feels so emtpy (like 80% of the emotion has been left out)...

I think that's because the Japanese voice actors' performance is VERY strictly moderated. I mean, duh they have to get pass the producer and sound director of the anime, who sit behind a glass panel listening to every voice. The producer is the guy who REALLY makes the voice actors work according to how he wants the anime character in the situation he came up with, WORK.

Furthermore, the Japanese recording studios are different from the American (this is what I gather, but correct me if I'm wrong):

Japanese studio:

All the seiyuus sit in the same room (except for Al's voice actress, who had to record seperately; her voice needed to be processed), with multiple mics set up in front of monitors with the anime scenes being played, and they go up to the mics and perform when it's their characters' turn. Thing is, everyone interacts with one anothers' characters, so you can actually build up REAL tension and emotions much more easily when performing with the characters you're supposed to be communicating with.

American studios:

Everyone records seperately, in front of a TV, with the sound directors guiding them.

But normally no one complains about dubs unless they've seen the original, and felt the original voices and emotions with them. After all, I believe that's the main audience dubs target...
Queen of the dammed
They should do that in the dubs too!!!! It'll make it sound so much more realistic!!
Toby-Chan
I don't see the problem with Roy's dub. He sounds fine, outside of that he was a bit more proper in his lines and dialect in Japanese.

I understand that the actors were approved, and had enthusiasm for the show and original acting, but I still don't sit well with Ed's voice, but there's nothing to be done about it, so I won't just hole up in my elitism. It's just that in my mind, nothing at all can compare to the sheer talent of the original cast. Especially Paku. <3333 Her voice is just so.. awesome! (Is she in the FMA radio drama? I'd buy it just to hear the VA's. They're that talented.)

I respect Vic and his effort and everything, but to me, Ed is and always will be as he was. But by all means, enjoy the other performance.
Sycia
Radio Dramas? There's only ONE drama CD with a totally different cast (because that drama CD was made before the anime). It's the side story of the... imposter brothers. ^^; The person playing Ed then is also the woman doing Ichizen Ryoma (main character of Prince of Tennis).

Aside from that one, all other Drama CDs feature the anime cast. I have to admit it was a little painful to hear that first drama CD....
bunnylove
ph34r.gif ed sounded so void of emotion.....kinda. because i wasn't feeling the emotion i felt in the sub whenever he got called short and went crazy over it. al...sounds...muffled
Shiroi
I personally think Vic is a really talented voice actor. The fact that his voice is lower than Paku Romi's isn't his fault, and we can't hold that against him. In NA, there aren't that many cases where women voice for male characters, and certainly, there is probably nobody who will sound exactly like Paku-san. Even if there was, I'd much rather have Vic, who can act with emotion and fit his role, than someone with a perfectly fitting voice who sounds like he/she is reading the script for the first time.

Of course there's only so much you can stretch a voice to fit. With Ed, it's not a matter of the original voice sounding better, it's a matter of how it expressed his character. With a somewhat higher Japanese voice, Paku Romi represented Ed as a young, innocent boy who was forced to grow up early. With incredible talent, she manages to fill his voice with emotion ranging from annoyance to confusion to a tremor of fear. Vic Mignogna, who has just as much talent, expressed the character as more of someone who already grew up and isn't as lost or uncertain. His voice also has a lot of emotion at times, but it seems more confident. That's why in the dub, Ed seems older, and people who have seen the original don't favor the change. Of course there have only been 5 episodes so far; the real emotion test will be episode 7.

Personally, I prefer the Japanese dubbing (I believe that word is still applicable) because I like the way Ed's character is represented. Some may think otherwise. Some people, who have seen the Funi dub first will probably like it better. Who knows? But dubbing and translating is an art; there is never a perfect voice or translation. I think a good dub only results when the entire cast cares about making it work and flow, even if it doesn't follow the original exactly. After all, in a lot of books, names are translated literally to keep the mood of the characters.

The more dubbing companies start to care about their work as opposed to how much money they can get out of it, the more the dubbing world will evolve. The FMA dub has its downs, but it also has its ups. I just want to see how more of it turns out before I can truly judge it.

I do have one major issue with dubbing companies. It's the same reason I admire Vic Mignogna. The companies don't make their actors listen to the original dubbing. I think they should, at least to give them an idea of what type of character they should be mimicking. The original voices are such a great tool; much better than a script and directors. If the characters are to stay as close to the originals as possible, the actors should listen to the originals. The anime was already dubbed once, and an example was set, so another interpretation can't be used. I commend Vic for going out and watching the originals; if he hadn't, his dubbing of Ed might have been nowhere near the mark.

The difference in recording methods shouldn't matter that much if the actors know what they're doing. Then again, I guess it depends on how experienced they are and all that.

These are all just my thoughts and views. Of course, I always prefer originals over anything, but that's just me. I give everything else a chance... until it pisses me off. Then I start complaining/flaming. And nothing about the FMA dub pissed me off that badly yet.
Queen of the dammed
The real test will be on Eps50-51, for all the cast....
vegita625
QUOTE(Queen of the dammed @ Dec 10 2004, 07:46 PM)
The real test will be on Eps50-51, for all the cast....

Putting it that way it's the dubbing company's final exam. I think the 1st real test should come before the last 2 episodes of the series... I agree that 7 is likely the first real test of emotion for Vic as Ed...
Rinslet

*horror face*

omg! go wash your mouth !!!
vegita625
QUOTE(Rinslet @ Dec 12 2004, 07:44 PM)

*horror face*

omg! go wash your mouth !!!

Why is the sub so much better when the creators of FMA themselves approve the voices of the dub?

In this kind of case, it's like saying someone from another region of the same country has a horrible accent but you don't. How can I make this analogy work? Because to that other person, they don't have an accent but you do. It's opinion and relative to what you think alone.

If you're very used to something, a change is likely going to be odd and possibly bad. If you're used to the Jap. subs, the American dub is probably going to be wierd and somewhat bad (at least, since as we have seen around here, "bad" is a mild understatement of some peoples' opinions)

Get what I mean? Just because you're not used to it doesn't mean its bad. Now if majority of people who never saw the subs STILL didn't like the dub, THEN you can outright say it's bad and yell at people who say it's good, because that just means it's so obvious that it's downright pathetic.

Ok, I'm done... at least for now...
Crystalix
The dub voices are ok, but the only conserns are Roy, Hughes & Al's voice. I just downright think they could of found a better person for Roy and Hughes voice. But for Al, I can barely hear him, his voice is too mumbly. (in my opinion) ohmy.gif
Mera
QUOTE(Shiroi @ Dec 10 2004, 06:10 PM)
I do have one major issue with dubbing companies.  It's the same reason I admire Vic Mignogna.  The companies don't make their actors listen to the original dubbing.  I think they should, at least to give them an idea of what type of character they should be mimicking.  The original voices are such a great tool; much better than a script and directors.  If the characters are to stay as close to the originals as possible, the actors should listen to the originals.  The anime was already dubbed once, and an example was set, so another interpretation can't be used.  I commend Vic for going out and watching the originals; if he hadn't, his dubbing of Ed might have been nowhere near the mark.

I have auditioned for Funimation before an they do in fact play you the original anime before they let you audition. They also provide copies of the originals to the VAs if they want it to let them get to know their character.
I also really liked the fact that the directors had already seen all of the series before they started on it. They were able to give me a good description of the character before I started.
I also, being a fan of the series myself, admired that everyone working on the series were huge fans themselves.

PS:sorry I didn't register. I'm mostly a lurker but I thought I'd share my experiences with Funimation.
Research Alchemist
ph34r.gif ed sounded so void of emotion.....kinda. because i wasn't feeling the emotion i felt in the sub whenever he got called short and went crazy over it. al...sounds...muffled

i agree with this. the first episode i saw was a dubbed one. the first one to air in america actually, i was just sitting up watching tv and loved it. of course at that point i thought the dub was just fine. then i downloaded the fansubs and after seeing it in japanese i watched another dub. well the emotion of the chars voice just wasn't the same to me. it was not near as strong and ever since it's been harder for me to watch it dubbed.

i still think it's pretty good and watch it when it comes on adult swim, but i think i will always personally prefer subbed.
Dragoon
cool.gif Yeah, Al could speak up a little bit. I just got into FullMetal on the 3rd episode, that was my actual 1st episode I have seen of the series.

Side-Note: wink.gif Does anybody know where I can download episodes without the use of torrent and dry.gif does anyone know what dragon is in japanese?!
SpaceDrake
Dragon in Japanese is Ryuu. And you really can't get the subs sans Torrents. The DVDs start hitting in a few months, have patience.
Sycia
Dragon in Japanese is either 'ryuu' or 'doragon'
hitokiri
QUOTE(SpaceDrake @ Dec 16 2004, 09:48 PM)
And you really can't get the subs sans Torrents.

thats a filthy lie, but unfortunately i can't tell you due to the rules.
eerabbit
even though the dubs are ok..the original japanese ones are always the best...probably cuz they can really bring out the character and make you cry like hell T_T
blueices
probably cuz they can really bring out the character and make you cry like hell T_T

Agreed.
I seriously doubt that episode 25 dubbed will be nearly as emotionally effective than it was in the original
TheVileOne
QUOTE(blueices @ Jan 11 2005, 04:48 AM)
probably cuz they can really bring out the character and make you cry like hell T_T

Agreed.
I seriously doubt that episode 25 dubbed will be nearly as emotionally effective than it was in the original

Don't be so hasty in saying that. Considering the great job they did with episodes 3 and 7, I think they might suprise you.
Kwizard
I hope it is not ruined.............
TheVileOne
I can assure you FMA is not ruined by its dub. Its just another way of experiencing an already fantastic series. Funimation and the English VA's totally brought their A game, and the've done a fantastic job so far.
Queen of the dammed
I think everyone should be stayed tuned to Ep 25... THE ACID TEST!!!!!!!!!!
TheVileOne
I think a better metaphorical wording for it would be "litmus test" but that's just me smile.gif .
I see no problem with their voices. Everyone interprets their voices differently. Some might not like Ed with a female voice, and some don't like ed with Vics. I can see it happen both ways. Everyone is doing a great job in both Japan and America.
As for those who think The American or Japanese voices don't fit? Here's just a thought. A while back on a LJ community, someone posted about how some hated the American voice acting, he/she also posted a clip of digimon from some other country. He didn't even sound like a kid, like someone was speaking in slow motion. xP so either way, it could be worse.
But it would be very cool if they did it in one room. Imagin Ed and Roy together in the same room. In my opinion that would be priceless.
Kirara
I like the dub, but actually I thought the performances were emotionally off in episode 7. I did like the dub performance in episode 3 and 8 though.

Now keep in mind I formed my opinion after not seeing any of the sub yet so I am merely basing it on how I think the character should sound in a given situation and somewhat off what I read in the manga.
full-blownidiot-alchemist
Look you gotta respect the voice actors. It's their job to make it good. I'm almost positive that they are not trying to sabatoge the show. The reason I bout the subbed version is because of the english dubbs so they have to be doing something right.

Vic is doing a heck of a job I think. Same with the 12 year old playing al. I enjoy the person playing Hughes as well. Roy is possibly one of my favorite characters, and we haven't really gotten to see that much of him yet, so his real test is episode 12. I've also been a fan of Damen Clark since Yu Yu Hakusho so I enjoy his scar too.

All and all they are different, but both have the same story. In the future I have a hunch that some days I'll be in the mood for subs and other days dubbs
Darcon
This is a message I posted in the fan-sub forums on a similar topic; posting for consistency:

This is just my opinion, but I believe anyone who CANNOT speak perfectly FLUENT Japanese and understand the dialect COMPLETELY should not have the right to judge whether a dubbing or a subbing is better (or put down those who like dubbings, either).

I myself can enjoy both dubbed and subbed anime, and I know that some dubbings can get pretty sub-par, but from my experience it is usually unpopular anime (mostly OVA's) that smaller companies bring over. The anime Adult Swim is showing is a good example of excellent dubbing.

I haven't heard the Japanese voices for FMA, since I unfortunately overlooked the series before it got licensed, but from what I've heard of the English voice acting FUNimation has done a great job on it (I love the way Ed's character is portrayed!). Sure, I can tell some actors (such as Al's) took a couple of episodes to get into their character, but that's expected of any VA. Still, even if I had heard the Japanese voices, I have no right to judge whether or not they are superior to English voices, even if I would have preferred Japanese to English.

Sorry, I just felt like peacefully ranting a bit; I just can't stand people who shun me (some of my "friends" come to mind...) because I enjoy watching dubbed anime as well as subbed, kind of like I'm "inferior" or something of the sort.

PS - I do NOT respond to flames, so don't make yourself look like a fool! biggrin.gif
jarrylyathealchemist
QUOTE(Darcon @ Jan 24 2005, 06:49 AM)
This is a message I posted in the fan-sub forums on a similar topic; posting for consistency:

This is just my opinion, but I believe anyone who CANNOT speak perfectly FLUENT Japanese and understand the dialect COMPLETELY should not have the right to judge whether a dubbing or a subbing is better (or put down those who like dubbings, either).

I myself can enjoy both dubbed and subbed anime, and I know that some dubbings can get pretty sub-par, but from my experience it is usually unpopular anime (mostly OVA's) that smaller companies bring over. The anime Adult Swim is showing is a good example of excellent dubbing.

I haven't heard the Japanese voices for FMA, since I unfortunately overlooked the series before it got licensed, but from what I've heard of the English voice acting FUNimation has done a great job on it (I love the way Ed's character is portrayed!). Sure, I can tell some actors (such as Al's) took a couple of episodes to get into their character, but that's expected of any VA. Still, even if I had heard the Japanese voices, I have no right to judge whether or not they are superior to English voices, even if I would have preferred Japanese to English.

Sorry, I just felt like peacefully ranting a bit; I just can't stand people who shun me (some of my "friends" come to mind...) because I enjoy watching dubbed anime as well as subbed, kind of like I'm "inferior" or something of the sort.

PS - I do NOT respond to flames, so don't make yourself look like a fool! biggrin.gif
[snapback]96342[/snapback]

It's been a long time since I've been here. I see my absence didn't change some people's opinions at all. I've become good friends with Vic over the last few months,and I have seen lots of his previous work. He is a very talented Va, as are his friends who appear in several other dubbed animes with him. I respect him wholeheartedly.
Penguin
I don't mind the dub in any shape or form. I have watched each episode on AS when it airs just to see what dialogue they have changed or the what-not. However, I cannot get used to the voices.

I am not saying they are bad or that I dislike them because, personally, I think the voice actors are doing a wonderful job. I just can't get myself to get used to them in any shape or form.

I don't speak fluent Japanese, and I will admit that. I can only understand so many words and phrases. However, I guess language barriers don't bother me at all that much. It's true I can't grasp onto the emotion displayed to through the voices fully, but I sure as hell can tell when someone is happy, sad, afraid, nervous, etc. when I can hear them talk and really, that's all I need to understand the feeling. The tone of their voices displays everything to me.

I don't know. I've heard the arguement of how you cannot understand it unless you speak fluent Japanese, but I know what I hear when I hear it. I've watched both sub and dub and I can grasp the feelings through the Japanese language just as well as I can through the English. I don't have a problem with either of them. Maybe it is because I am a very fast reader and that gives me a chance to look around at the expressions and listen carefully at the same time without being distracted.

*shrugs* I know people will disagree with me but that is how it is for me. Maybe it's because I have been watching and listening to the Japanese language for five or more years now. I don't think I would continue on clicking on the menu to change it to Japanese with subtitles if I couldn't get an enjoyable feeling out of it. Don't get me wrong, there are a few titles where I would much rather prefer the dub when it comes to the emotions in the voices.

Either way, I enjoy Hagaren in all formats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.