Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For people who are still at school, post your school timetable!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Kihaku
dreamcatcher: What subject/subjects do you study at university???
Hmm.. School is stressful if you make it stressful. I stopped stressing long ago tongue.gif
oh well, people still think that I care way too much about it tongue.gif
It's just that I want only top marks in certain subjects and am ambitious.
I'm also critical and a perfectionist..but I'm allowed to be since I can't stop making careless mistakes and being a complete idiot.
Ah, I'll be having my last subjects in the ME (Matriculation Examination) next spring.
I've tried to convince myself that I don't care a bit about them anymore, since the universe and world are against me tongue.gif I still want to just curse those horrible unfair tests! *waves staff*
I hate you! mad.gif The results are nothing! *lightning strikes some random object*
dreamcatcher_alchemist
Kihaku, I'm taking Theatre, Child Psychology, Biology, Elementary Topics of math I (how to teach little kiddies), Oral Communications, and History of the U.S. since 1877. I have a full plate this semester and I alredy know that I'm failing one of my courses. dry.gif
Kihaku
Wow! That sounds like a lot! You can actually take so many courses!
ooh.. which course are you failing? Hmm.. you can't concentrate on a specific subject then?
Here we have to do that and that's what's hard... I guess I'll apply to a few...but not too many because I hate entrance exams. tongue.gif
dreamcatcher_alchemist
I'm actually taking more classes then most. Most people stay between 14-16 credits a semester, but I'm taking 18.

I'm failing my math course, but it can't be helped. The teacher is horrid, she can't teach. So I'm just not worrying about it and focusing on my child psych and my history classes.

I just wish my finals schedule wasn't so bad.

Finals:

Monday
10-11:50
1-2:50
3-3:50

Tuesday
8-9:50
1-2:50

Wednesday
2-2:50
mei_tenshi
Monday - Friday

1st period: US Government AP
2nd period: Psychology
3rd period: English Literature AP
4th period: Physics AP (though it's more like listening to the teacher talk about whatever he feels like talking about that day, and it's not physics 80% of the time, though he says physics is related to everything, and after having him as a teacher for two years in a row, he's startning to convince me...
5th period: Lab Experience (Basically, it's just being the teacher assistant for the abovementioned physics teacher.)

My classes seem so mundane...that's the California public school system for ya.

I wish we had Japancese... sad.gif
xrninja
my schedule wouldn't let me fit in AP Lit or AP Physics, so i ended up taking AP Lang and regular physics instead. we have the same teacher teaching both physics classes, and God, he's such a bad teacher. he's okay for AP because he has to teach for the test, but in regular he doesn' lecture or anything and then we take AP's old tests. it sucks. AP Lang is a little over my head with the philosophy a lot, but it's actually more interesting than i thought, even if we don't get to read all the books Lit reads. and i heard that american gov was so boring from last year's seniors, so i took it over the summer. but lucky! you only have 5 periods! i've had 7 since i was a freshman, but since i took gov over the summer i only have 6 next semester laugh.gif and yeah, the california school system sucks. remember the exit exam we took in soph yeah and how ridiculously easy it was? and the STAR and SAT9 tests?
Bling_bling_Angel
*eyes twitch* Ohhhhhh... my head hurts soooo bad from my Apologetics exam...
Quistis88
What were the questions, Angel? smile.gif
Bling_bling_Angel
*weeps* Here's some:

1.]Explain how God is eternal in a proper syllogism.

2.]As an apologist-in-training, how will you explain that God is simple and infinite?

3.]Define omnipotence in relation to God's equanimity and ubiquity...
xrninja
ooh, for the first one it reminds me of our lang discussion on that essay by boethius, about the conflict between free will and God being able to see each person's future...except that our free will still exists and God can see a person's past, present, and future all at once as present in His time, and how he's outside our measures of time because he's eternal. and that's similar to that other essay by st. augustine, the city of God, where he talks about how the world could have been created, if God is eternal and unchanging. and how if God is unchanging, how could he have created the world, which would cause a change? but again, because he's eternal, he's outside the dimensions of time and space that He chose to put our world in, and is "resting in the infinite spaces outside of it." which doesn't answer your question at all, but it's interesting tongue.gif

oh, and what's an apologist? i'm guessing not someone who apologizes a lot.
Carnal Malefactor
Apologetics is the field of study concerned with the systematic defense of a position. Someone who engages in apologetics is called an apologist. The term comes from the Greek word apologia, meaning the defense of a position against an attack, not from the English word apology, which is exclusively understood as a defensive plea for forgiveness for an action that is open to blame. When John Henry Newman entitled his spiritual biography Apologia Pro Vita Sua in 1864, he was playing upon both connotations.
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 9 2004, 10:10 PM)
Apologetics is the field of study concerned with the systematic defense of a position. Someone who engages in apologetics is called an apologist. The term comes from the Greek word apologia, meaning the defense of a position against an attack, not from the English word apology, which is exclusively understood as a defensive plea for forgiveness for an action that is open to blame. When John Henry Newman entitled his spiritual biography Apologia Pro Vita Sua in 1864, he was playing upon both connotations.

*kisses Bacon on the cheek* Thank you, sweetheart... brilliant quote, that one... and, yes, Ninja... it's what's written above...
Carnal Malefactor
My next question would be, why on earth would anyone want to take that up as their exclusive vocation?
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 9 2004, 10:13 PM)
My next question would be, why on earth would anyone want to take that up as their exclusive vocation?

*shrugs* Only priests take it up as their mission in life, no regular people. But my academy requires that seniors take it; we can't graduate from the school unless we complete it. No choice really; think "shot-gun"...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 05:23 AM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 9 2004, 10:13 PM)

*shrugs* Only priests take it up as their mission in life, no regular people. But my academy requires that seniors take it; we can't graduate from the school unless we complete it. No choice really; think "shot-gun"...

huh.gif

That seems harsh. Where do you go to school?
Bling_bling_Angel
It's a Catholic private school in Idaho... but since my father was in the military and we moved every 3 years and since my family didn't want me to board, I'm part of the satellite program of the academy. More like homeschooling; they send me exams and books, I study them, make sure I ace everything... XD that's my goal as a highschool student...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 05:27 AM)
It's a Catholic private school in Idaho... but since my father was in the military and we moved every 3 years and since my family didn't want me to board, I'm part of the satellite program of the academy. More like homeschooling; they send me exams and books, I study them, make sure I ace everything... XD that's my goal as a highschool student...

ugh... Catholic education... [shudder]
Gashole
I resent that.
Bling_bling_Angel
Hey, I'm Catholic... *shrugs* It's who I am... I was born one, I wish to live as one. Case closed. It's not as tough as the media exploits it to be, you know...
Gashole
You're a Catholic? ph34r.gif
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(Gashole @ Dec 9 2004, 10:31 PM)
You're a Catholic? ph34r.gif

rolleyes.gif Big surprise?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 05:30 AM)
Hey, I'm Catholic... *shrugs* It's who I am...  I was born one, I wish to live as one. Case closed. It's not as tough as the media exploits it to be, you know...

Hey, if you wish to live with unrealistic, elitist ideals and a completely warped world view, that's not my problem. But don't blame media exploitation for anything. They haven't touched the issue for years now.

What I do know is that I've got friends who went to Catholic school and they are, to a man, extremely resentful people when it comes to their upbringing.
Gashole
Eh, I don't know how I should feel knowing that we actually have something in common. ph34r.gif
Carnal Malefactor
I find it most frightening that there are catholics here at all.
Bling_bling_Angel
They're NOT unrealistic elitist ideals... I'm a teenager; we are skepticsim incarnated. We question EVERYTHING... frankly, they're not what people think them to be. I've been studying my Faith since, what? 3rd grade? No one will understand them unless they study it PROPERLY... it's a life-long process. No one gets the gift of Faith overnight, trust me.

And, oh, newsflahs: the military radio station's here are talking about the sex scandals regarding the Church AGAIN... pathetic...
Gashole
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 9 2004, 10:37 PM)

That's what we say about you atheists.
Bling_bling_Angel

huh.gif Why so, pray tell?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 05:37 AM)
They're NOT unrealistic elitist ideals... I'm a teenager; we are skepticsim incarnated. We question EVERYTHING... frankly, they're not what people think them to be. I've been studying my Faith since, what? 3rd grade? No one will understand them unless they study it PROPERLY... it's a life-long process. No one gets the gift of Faith overnight, trust me.

And, oh, newsflahs: the military radio station's here are talking about the sex scandals regarding the Church AGAIN... pathetic...

Skepticism is a good thing. I'm glad you at least recognize the fact that you should be exercising it at every turn. It makes you less susceptible to indoctrination. Whether you actually ARE excercising it is another matter...

And faith is not a 'gift'. It's something you create for yourself. It's not handed down to you on a special occasion.

Church sex scandals should be talked about. Here in Boston they turned a big portion of the community on its ear. The whole world needs to become aware of the kind of effect corruption within the church can have. It's not a new phenomenon, either. It's been going on for years, and it's about damn time people started waking up to it.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Gashole @ Dec 10 2004, 05:39 AM)

That's what we say about you atheists.

I'm not an atheist.
Gashole
What are you?

Well the priests don't represent the religion. tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Gashole @ Dec 10 2004, 05:45 AM)
What are you?

'skeptic', perhaps... 'deist' could be applicable... or even 'agnostic', if you're in a pinch. My belief system really has no name, but it's a belief system nonetheless.

Well the priests don't represent the religion. tongue.gif

No, but their behavior is indicative of a much bigger problem that the religion produces.
Bling_bling_Angel
Very well-said, Bacon...

No, sweetheart... I beg to differ. Faith is an unmerited gift. Hitler, Stalin, and all those asswipes of history were Catholic. They were born in Catholic families, were baptized, but did not get the gift of Faith.

It's sickens me, those sex scandals. They're supposed to be PRIESTS and they're doing those perverted things... how f^ckin' messed up. I cannot believe what made them do that. However, my defense on behalf of the Catholic Church is, juss because a handful of messed-up priests did it, does NOT mean that the Church is evil. Take this for an example: Juss because the Italian Mafia has a few gangsters who support an orphanage does NOT make the mafia a good organization...
Gashole
IPB Image

Well, let's now move on, shall we? biggrin.gif
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(Gashole @ Dec 9 2004, 10:51 PM)
IPB Image

Well, let's now move on, shall we?  biggrin.gif

For once, THANK YOU, Gassy... aaaand next on the topic is-...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 05:49 AM)
Very well-said, Bacon...

No, sweetheart... I beg to differ. Faith is an unmerited gift. Hitler, Stalin, and all those asswipes of history were Catholic. They were born in Catholic families, were baptized, but did not get the gift of Faith.

It's sickens me, those sex scandals. They're supposed to be PRIESTS and they're doing those perverted things... how f^ckin' messed up. I cannot believe what made them do that. However, my defense on behalf of the Catholic Church is, juss because a handful of messed-up priests did it, does NOT mean that the Church is evil. Take this for an example: Juss because the Italian Mafia has a few gangsters who support an orphanage does NOT make the mafia a good organization...

If faith is a gift, then it's one you give to yourself. I refuse to accept any ideas to the contrary, because they're intellectually dishonest.
"Faith" that you're told to accept is artificial. It's indoctrination. That's why so many Catholics turn their backs on their religion later in life. They feel taken advantage of.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 05:53 AM)
QUOTE(Gashole @ Dec 9 2004, 10:51 PM)
IPB Image

Well, let's now move on, shall we?  biggrin.gif

For once, THANK YOU, Gassy... aaaand next on the topic is-...

VETO!

I'd like to stay on this topic until it's resolved.
Gashole
Or maybe they happen to be the ones who do all the rituals only because their family does it and don't really understand anything at all.
Bling_bling_Angel
Sweetie, didn't Gashole juss say to change the topic?

If you wanna debate, so be it.

How sure are you that it's intellectually dishonest? *slaps forehead, gets another bruise* This is what I get for NOT paying attention to my books... I can't answer that one. I promise I will, though; after I've looked it up.

Catholics leave the Church because of IGNORANCE...

*shakes head* Why is it that we always clash? What must I do to clear you up?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 05:57 AM)
Sweetie, didn't Gashole juss say to change the topic?

she's not the boss of me! tongue.gif

If you wanna debate, so be it.

Then it's on!

How sure are you that it's intellectually dishonest? *slaps forehead, gets another bruise* This is what I get for NOT paying attention to my books... I can't answer that one. I promise I will, though; after I've looked it up.

It's common sense. Faith is an irrational belief in something that can't be quantified that's yours and yours alone. If you have such a belief that was passed down to you, it's indoctrination.

Catholics leave the Church because of IGNORANCE...

Quite the opposite.

*shakes head* Why is it that we always clash? What must I do to clear you up?

What makes you think it's you that'd be doing the clearing? biggrin.gif
Gashole
< Will not participate in the debate cause admittedly is not a good role model for Catholics around the world.

Unless what you say really bites.

Edit: TRIPLE POSTING! If you were a GP then you'd be a hypocrite.
Bling_bling_Angel
*weeps* You love to make it SO hard for me, don't you?

Oh, Good God... I'll answer your queries some other time.

As for Catholics leaving out of ignorance, believe me, I KNOW. I work as the secretary of the Catholic director here and I see Catholis coming back to church after a few lessons because they "never knew" what was right and true about their religion in the first place... please don't contradict me on this point, I begging you. I know it to be a act already and my hips hurt too much to mkae me debate any longer...

As for "clearing up", my mom always says it's the girl who should end and argument/debate and be the firts to offer to make-up...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Dec 10 2004, 06:07 AM)
As for Catholics leaving out of ignorance, believe me, I KNOW. I work as the secretary of the Catholic director here and I see Catholis coming back to church after a few lessons because they "never knew" what was right and true about their religion in the first place... please don't contradict me on this point, I begging you. I know it to be a act already and my hips hurt too much to mkae me debate any longer...

It's not an act. I really am this evil and iconoclastic. cool.gif
Bling_bling_Angel
Sorry about that... I meant "FACT" not "act"...

And, no... you're not "evil"... you juss love to make it hard for me... ALWAYS... no matter HOW much I try to please you... *goes on and on and on and on...*
Gashole
IPB Image

@Bling: Please do not let yourself get all emotional during the debate.
Bling_bling_Angel
*weeps* But that's how I am!!!

*gets booted out of the forum by Gashole*
Quistis88
NOTE: Bacon, I'm deleting those two extra posts of yours. tongue.gif Bad boy, triple posting. *cracks whip*
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 9 2004, 11:21 PM)
NOTE:  Bacon, I'm deleting those two extra posts of yours.  tongue.gif  Bad boy, triple posting.  *cracks whip*

*clings to Mommy* He's being mean...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 10 2004, 06:21 AM)
NOTE:  Bacon, I'm deleting those two extra posts of yours.  tongue.gif  Bad boy, triple posting.  *cracks whip*

Go right ahead. It's my fault for not noticing that I didn't properly close a quote tag.
Gashole
IPB Image
Bling_bling_Angel
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Dec 9 2004, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Dec 10 2004, 06:21 AM)

Go right ahead. It's my fault for not noticing that I didn't properly close a quote tag.

Awwww... poor Bacon... *hugs Bacon*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.