Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to FMA(Sort of)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
KelticWolf
I have just recently started getting BACK into FMA by watching Brotherhood. I am on One is All, All is One. I have loved FMA since I was very young watching it on Adult Swim late at night, and read up to book 5 in the original series. I hope to start reading them again soon once I start my new job. So, basicly, This thread is asking what are the basics I need to read/watch?

Also: Where can I buy all the collectors edition stuff for the movies, and anime?(I love collector's edition stuff :3) Preferably on Blu Ray, and where I can buy them all at the same time, Like a set or something. This goes for the books too

Edit: Now on Beasts of Dublith, Hopfully watching a few more episodes before going to sleep.
S.F. Thunder
Ebay is a good place to look for deals on getting everything at once. I bought the entire first anime, two art books and the first season of Brotherhood for $40 because I found a good deal. You can also find the DVDs and books separately on Amazon and Funimation.com

As for watching and reading, I started FMA back in 2006, before Brotherhood came out. I started with the manga, read a few volumes, and then watched all of the first anime while waiting for more manga to come out. When Brotherhood came out I watched that.
The most important thing you need to know is that Brotherhood is based on the manga, and the first anime takes a completely different turn somewhat early in the series. I would recommend experiencing all of it; reading the manga, and watching both anime.
HOWEVER, I personally think that the first anime and Brotherhood should be considered separately and not compared. It may ruin one or the other for you if you compare them.

If you're only watching Brotherhood and reading the manga, then all I can say is enjoy it! There really isn't a strategy to it, as they're almost the exact same thing. (I personally enjoyed the manga a little more because of certain details put into it, but Brotherhood is excellent on a lot of things that a manga can't convey)
KelticWolf
QUOTE (S.F. Thunder @ Sep 23 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Ebay is a good place to look for deals on getting everything at once. I bought the entire first anime, two art books and the first season of Brotherhood for $40 because I found a good deal. You can also find the DVDs and books separately on Amazon and Funimation.com

As for watching and reading, I started FMA back in 2006, before Brotherhood came out. I started with the manga, read a few volumes, and then watched all of the first anime while waiting for more manga to come out. When Brotherhood came out I watched that.
The most important thing you need to know is that Brotherhood is based on the manga, and the first anime takes a completely different turn somewhat early in the series. I would recommend experiencing all of it; reading the manga, and watching both anime.
HOWEVER, I personally think that the first anime and Brotherhood should be considered separately and not compared. It may ruin one or the other for you if you compare them.

If you're only watching Brotherhood and reading the manga, then all I can say is enjoy it! There really isn't a strategy to it, as they're almost the exact same thing. (I personally enjoyed the manga a little more because of certain details put into it, but Brotherhood is excellent on a lot of things that a manga can't convey)

Alright. Thank you! I will hopefully be watching the original anime after I finish Brotherhood.
Michiyo-
Welcome to our Board, KelticWolf! happy.gif

I suggest you take a look at the FMA-1 & FMA:B Storyline Comparisons, and the Suggested "Converged" Viewing Scheme thread, it has great info on suggested watching order and FMA Manga,FMA-1, FMA:B comparisons.

This thread will be merged with the FMA "Brotherhood" Anime Series General Q & A Thread or the FMA-1 & FMA:B Storyline Comparisons, and the Suggested "Converged" Viewing Scheme thread later.
KelticWolf
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Sep 23 2011, 03:13 PM) *
Welcome to our Board, KelticWolf! happy.gif

I suggest you take a look at the FMA-1 & FMA:B Storyline Comparisons, and the Suggested "Converged" Viewing Scheme thread, it has great info on suggested watching order and FMA Manga,FMA-1, FMA:B comparisons.

This thread will be merged with the FMA "Brotherhood" Anime Series General Q & A Thread or the FMA-1 & FMA:B Storyline Comparisons, and the Suggested "Converged" Viewing Scheme thread later.

Why does anybody even create NEW threads around here if they are always made into old ones? >.>

I mean no offense but sometimes things need to be into a new thread. This thread has nothing to do with the two you mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.