Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Accent Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Schnabeltier
Since we're from all over the world, I thought it would be interesting and fun to share your accents and all that. Just to give us an idea of what your accent sounds like!

You don't necessarily need a microphone here, if you don't have one or if you aren't comfortable with recording yourself, just tell us about your accent and where you're from wink.gif

But if you do have a microphone and you are willing to record, then just head over to http://vocaroo.com . No need to upload there, you can record on the website itself and you'll get a link if you're satisfied, and just post it here. But if you'd prefer to upload a .wmv yourself somewhere, be my guest.

For uniformity's sake, let's settle on reading this short paragraph:

Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

---

Here's mine!
http://vocaroo.com/?media=v0aBb1FcJbl2mwFTx

Well, I don't really know what kind of accent that is, but people tell me it's a Midwestern-ish accent. Although I've never actually been to the States laugh.gif Since, I guess it's the standard thing I see on television and it's the how people attempt to talk around here, I kind of speak with a fake Midwestern accent mixed in with a Filipino one lol.
A Pierrot's Aria
You do actually sound very American to me. ohmy.gif

I would actually record myself but I don't have a mic. crybaby.gif

But I'm from England; more specifically, Yorkshire in the North of England. So I have a good old (lazy to most people) Yorkshire accent. Up here, we're known for missing out the letter "h" (only if it's at the beginning of a word) and we also tend to miss out the word "the" from sentences. laugh.gif I can easily say that I type nothing like the way I talk.

I spoke out the paragraph you set aloud and attempted to type it the way I said it:

Please call Stella. Ask 'er t' bring these things with 'er from t'store: Six spoons a' fresh snow peas, five thick slabs a' blue cheese, and maybe a snack fa' 'er brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake an'a big toy frog fa' t'kids. She can scoop these things in t' three red bags, an' we will go meet 'er Wednesday at t'train station.

(I spell it 'er (her) but the way it's pronounced it more like an 'a' or 'uh' sound) *hard to explain*

But some pronunciation can be different or broader depending where in Yorkshire you come from. ohmy.gif

So yes, I may be from England but I sound nothing like the Queen or James Bond. laugh.gif But it'd be better if I could record myself because those spellings make it seem like I talk like a pirate. xDxD!!! And the whole "t" thing would be better to listen to than read --I can't spell it exactly how I say it, but that's the closest I can think of. xD

Michael McIntyre explains the accent pretty well...LOL! tongue.gif (Okay, he exaggerates a little, ahahahaha!)
Chiyo
I can't record either, but it would be pointless me doing so as I probably wouldn't speak in my regular accent if I'm reading a script.

My accent is quite non de-script, that is to say you will only notice the right twang if you know UK accent. So I can easily hear Pierrot's voice in my head, and she will probably get a fair idea what I sound like when I say I have a Brummie lilt (Birmingham to outsiders)

Probably the closest person I come to (who is famous) is Richard Hammond, who like me was born in a town outside of Birmingham. It means the accent isn't too strong, but words like "her" can become "'er". If I were to really play on the Birmingham accent, "I'm from Birmingham" would be pronounced "Om frum Burminum" (I never said it was nice).

I now live in Norfolk, and I've noticed local people seem not to pronounce the letter "u" very often. The other day I was in a queue when the woman behind me got a phonecall and told the person on the other end she was in the "coo".

We have a thread very much like this already Your Voice: How Do You Sound? so the two threads can be blended later.
Pyroclasm
I don't have anything to record with... :<

And I'm not sure how to really explain my accent... But you know those stereotypical Australian accents that you hear in old movies? Yeah, I sound nothing like that. tongue.gif
jacksparrow589
Schnabeltier--I would never have guessed you're not from the U.S. if not for your location! You sound like you were born and raised in the Midwest! (Which, by the way, is basically the "standard" or "original" accent here, so no wonder you hear it!)

I do have a mic, and while it's not great quality, you can definitely hear my accent. (Feels so weird to say!) I speak with a Pacific Northwest accent, which, among other things, means that I pronounce "oo" (like in spoon) almost as sort of an "ew". I don't do it all the time, though--I actually pronounce it in the back of my vocal tract half the time, and in the front the other half.

This is me: http://vocaroo.com/?media=vBZwWl4STIoTHIKe5
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.