Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread for Royai fans who read Arakawa comment in FMA manga artbook III (Warning! Possible Major Royai Spoiler!)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions > Spoiler Zone
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
This is a designated discussion thread for Royai fans who'd like to discuss Hiromu Arakawa's comment on FMA manga artbook III and related discussions.

Discussion on this thread contain MAJOR Royai Spoiler content.

*On this thread, you can discuss series final content, or post the link to fanfics, etc. that contain series final spoiler content without adding <Series Final Spoiler Content Warning> sign on such post. However, if you'd like to post images that contain series final spoiler, please DO NOT POST AS IMAGES and instead post as links. Thank you! smile.gif

*We assume discussion participants on this thread have already read or watched FMA manga or Brotherhood anime series final, and therefore comments on such series final contents are allowed on this thread. If you have not seen the series final and do not wish to be spoiled of such content, please do not go further on this thread!

Warning!!
If you have not read FMA manga artbook III, and/or do not wish to be spoiled of such content, please do NOT go any further.

Actual discussion starts on page 2 of this thread.
Tombow
Accidental spoiler prevention reserve
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Tombow
Michiyo-
Michiyo-
reserved for chapter information
Michiyo-
Michiyo-
Michiyo-
reserved for chapter information
Michiyo-
Michiyo-
Michiyo-
Michiyo-
Actual discussions start below. biggrin.gif
FirstMoon
<Warning! Possible manga series final Spoiler ahead!>
HOLY DEAR GOD,SPOILER LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA
<NOTE from Moderator: The above entry is actually copied from Tombow's post on our board without given proper credit to the info source, nor full explanation of that info. For full explanation on that info, please check out Tombow's original post on our board here.>

I'm sorry for capslocking all these but...I can't breathe.
Tombow
QUOTE (FirstMoon @ Apr 25 2011, 05:22 PM) *
<Warning! Possible manga series final Spoiler ahead!>
HOLY DEAR GOD,SPOILER LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA
@FirstMoon - Yes, I know, that's amazing! ^^
But.... Uh.. that was copied from MY post on one of the threads on OUR BOARD (yes, I can see it's copied verbatim from my post) mellow.gif
It was originally a blog entry on Japanese FMA fan blog site (in Japanese) and Michiyo- kindly brought it to us on our "Hiromu Arakawa Illustration Collection: FMA artbook 3" thread, and I translated it and posted my translated version of it on the same thread here, and someone took part of my post, word for word, and posted it there without giving credit to where that info & translation was from. huh.gif *feels kind of awkward* Wish the person who posted it there would have properly given the credit to OUR discussion thread where it was posted.
FirstMoon
Thanks for clearing it! I felt like I needed to share in here so...Should I remove my post?
Tombow
^@FirstMoon - No no, that's all right. I was thinking of bringing it here anyway. So, I'm not mad at your bringing it. (Besides, it was originally brought to us by Michiyo-. I just translated it. ^^) I appreciate bringing the news to Royai fans. ^^
(Though, I was waiting and hoping to see the actual scan of Arakawa-sensei's comment so that I can confirm it myself before posting it here. smile.gif)

...I just wish that whoever posted it there would properly note that the info was from "Hiromu Arakawa Illustration Collection: FMA artbook 3" thread on our board, and also have a courtesy to note that that info is still UNCONFIRMED info. smile.gif
jacksparrow589
Somehow, I missed that the first time it was posted. huh.gif Now, if you'll excuse me for a moment...

*massive amounts of squee and happiness and joy and rainbows and sunshine and kittens and ponies...*

*deep breath*

*sigh* wub.gif

I'm a happy girl right now. Thanks, Tombow and FirstMoon! biggrin.gif
RadicalDreamer
Lol... I was expecting something like this from Arakawa (a subtle answer that doesn't tell you much but if you read the manga well, you just know what might happen once Roy becomes Furher).
Sigh... I love this pair. I love this manga. I love this woman.
iAmjelly
I KNEW IT. xD I think I can die a happy fangirl now :3

I wonder where the rest of that interview is...

Tombow
QUOTE (iAmjelly @ Apr 25 2011, 10:17 PM) *
I wonder where the rest of that interview is...

@iAmjelly - It is NOT from interview. It is Arakawa-sesnei's comment in the new (just published) Hilomu Arakawa-illustration book: FMA artbook III where Arakawa-sesei made comments on each one of her color drawings published in that book, and that was Arakawa-sensei's comment on one of those drawings on that new FMA artbook, and [reportedly] that drawing is Riza and Roy drawing which Arakawa-sensei drew to be used for Anime DVD/BD vol 2. Special first-print bonus gift box.

This is all explained on "Hiromu Arakawa Illustration Collection: FMA artbook 3" thread on our board where this info was originally taken from. Everyone, PLEASE go and check the linked thread and read the full explanation.

And to be technically correct, please also note that we have NOT actually confirmed this by actually checking Arakawa-sensei's said comment in print yet. (although the original Japanese blog source is known to be very accurate for this kind of info, judging from our past experiences.) Hence I wanted to WAIT to bring this news here on Royai thread till I can visually confirm it myself by actually seeing the scan of Arakawa-seinsei's said comment on this artbook, since several of our members have pre-ordered this artbook and now waiting for the delivery of the book in just a few days. That's why I have intentionally left this info "as is" on "Hiromu Arakawa Illustration Collection: FMA artbook 3" thread where it is properly treated as "unconfirmed" info till some member would post the actual scan of the comment from the book. smile.gif

But...unfortunately, some Royai fan site took my post, used my translations word-for-word for Arakawa-sensei's comment part, but stripped of all the precautionary notes and extra info we posted on the thread, such as above, and announced it on his/her site as if this is already confirmed fact (unless he/she has already confirmed it him/herself, but if so there is no mention of that on the site).
Although it is very likely that what I posted on "Hiromu Arakawa Illustration Collection: FMA artbook 3" thread on our board (and copied by this site) would come out true, since this Royai site neglected to mention that this is so far only info from Japanese blog site and none of us have actually confirmed this yet, "I" have to stress that here. (Anyway, hopefully we can confirm it in a matter of few days.) smile.gif
Turdaewen
Yeah... but if this gets confirmed... it'll be big... indeed. ^^
Tombow
^ I know. This is (potentially) HUGE. happy.gif
That's why I want to be double/triple/quadruply sure that this is true. (Yeah, you know me. I'm like that. laugh.gif )
Turdaewen
QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 26 2011, 02:11 AM) *
^ I know. This is (potentially) HUGE. happy.gif
That's why I want to be double/triple/quadruply sure that this is true. (Yeah, you know me. I'm like that. laugh.gif )

Yeah, I know. happy.gif
And I think you're absolutely right to be. laugh.gif We have been having "fake surprises" a lot these past few years in regards to Royai (remember the "The Colonel calls me 'Riza' when we are alone"?? I almost fell of my chair when I read that. lol Seriously don't wanna go through that, again...)

Than, again, if it's a trustable blog, it's probably true... we just need to wait for someone in the forum to get their copies and scan so we can confirm it. ^^

It does sounds like something that Arakawa would say, though... And, if it's true, she's giving me one hell of a bday gift! yes2.gif
Michiyo-
The blog where I got this info used to be reliable, but we can know it for sure when someone posts the actual scan.

This is so like Arakawa, she'd never say it directly, but if this comment is true, it still confirms what we've been waiting for. biggrin.gif
iAmjelly
@ Tombow:

Ah! I understand now! Still though, if the source has usually been reliable, then hopefully it still is because if it is all true, I will die a happy fangirl <3
Turdaewen
Yay! So... it IS true! ^^ A Pierrot's Aria posted the pic for us!! ^^

Ok, now, this is officially HUGE! XD
Tombow
And, here it is!!

(Warning!! Royai Spoilers on this post!! (although, the next one is in Japanese xp) ---->) Arakawa-sensei's comment (in Japanese) (click me!)

In case anyone missed the whole stuff above, here is re-posting of my quick translations of this comment:
Comment (by Arakawa-sensei): After the conclusion of the series, we got many questions from fans that were asking "aren't the Colonel and the Lieutenant going to get married?"
[I couldn't get them married because..] because of the Military regulations, if they get married they can no longer stay as the superior officer and [his] aid....

Whole scan of this Roy & Riza pic, courtesy of A Pierrot's Aria.
For other pics from this artbook, please go to A Pierrot's Aria's post on our "FMA Artbook III" thread. biggrin.gif

@iAmjelly - Tehehe, yeah. Thank you for understanding me. ^^

@Michiyo- - You're my heroin for bringing this news to us! hug.gif

@Turdaewen - Yeah, this was nine (going on ten) years in making!! biggrin.gif

@RadicalDreamer - I totally agree with you; This is so very much Arakawa-sensei's way of confirming it. biggrin.gif

Oh my gosh this makes me so giddy... I can't help it!! C:

I don't know how others would read this, but in my mind, from this day on (actually, I'd use April 22, 2011, the day this Artbook III with Arakawa-sensei's comment was officially released ^^) Roy & Riza is "officially" CANON! clapping.gif
jacksparrow589
Tombow--Running off that last thought, does this mean that Royai Day should be switched to April 22? (That being the day we can probably consider it officially became canon.) Not that it would probably ever be an "official" (as official as it gets, considering it's a fan thing, anyway) change... Whatever; I'm always up for celebrating Royai! biggrin.gif
Michiyo-
Or we can have two Royai Days. We should keep the "unofficial" Royai Day on June 11, and April 22 can be the "Canon Royai Day". ^^
We've been waiting for this for years, so we must celebrate it! biggrin.gif

Now I hope that we'll get more hints in the upcoming FMA Chronicle guidebook.
A Pierrot's Aria
(Potential Royai Spoilers ahead!) We should keep both. laugh.gif Royai Eve on June 11th and Royai day on April 22nd. (Even though April is before June...! But it's okay because unofficial is "eve" and "official" is day. Ahaha!) laugh.gif
Tombow
(Warning!! Royai Spoilers on this post!!)

Wow, I like both jacksparrow589's and Michiyo-'s ideas! ETA: And A Pierrot's Aria's also! biggrin.gif
(You know, I'm so giddy I can't think straight. XDD)

Let's see... I like the idea of having Royai "Canon" Day as April 22... and then every time we mention this, we will use Spoiler, even during the celebration. XDDD
And, we can also keep "traditional" Royai Day on June 11, as the day for Royai fans to enjoy Royai as our own, especially as the day of celebration for our "Royai creativity", with all kind of fanfics and fanarts..you know, when we can go "unofficial" with Royai? ^^

That' just my thinking now, but everyone's opinions and ideas are welcome, and then please decide whatever you guys like. biggrin.gif

Whatever we do, I'd LOVE to have some kind of celebration marking this occasion!! happy.gif
jacksparrow589
As I said, I'm always up for celebrating Royai. Always. tongue.gif

Maybe April 22 can be more focused on official art/manga/anime... and worshipping Arakawa! tongue.gif And June 11 can remain the more fan-focused celebration. (I think this is kind of what Tombow was saying. In that case, I second it!)
Tombow
(Warning!! Possible Royai Spoilers on this post!!)

@jacksparrow589 - Yeah, that's more or less what I mean, for June 11 Royai Day. The day we can make our imaginations fly freely with Royai, and celebrate Royai in whatever the way, and can have fun with it. laugh.gif
As for worshipping Arakawa-sesnsei, I've been thinking making May 8 (Arakawa-sensei's birthday) as "Arakawa Worship Day" XDD
So, for this (Royai Canon day) I'd love to have something to celebrate Royai being Canon, although I'm not quite sure exactly what to do. XDD ...For example, we can have fanarts and fanfics, but for "Royai Canon Day" (or "Canon Royai Day") fics and arts have to have Roy and Riza "in character" ?? ^^

I'm not the best one with those ideas. XD Please keep brainstorming for more ideas for this celebration! biggrin.gif
jacksparrow589
Tombow--Good point about Arakawa's birthday. Hadn't thought about it like that, but it makes complete sense that we (the Royai Thread, I mean) are not the only ones who "worship" her. tongue.gif

I'd say anything "in character", be it official art or fanfic/fanart that's been kept pretty well in-character (pretty much just as long as people make a good-faith effort, really) and in-FMA-universe would be cool for Royai Canon Day, but that's just my opinion. I'm totally cool with pretty much whatever people can come up with. smile.gif

So, anyone else have any other brilliant ideas? I'm kinda out... ^^;
LadyNorbert
Jelly got me over here, and I have to say - so many familiar names from fandom! Hi everybody!

OUR OTP IS CANON YAY! I am totally up for this celebrational thing. Actually, the question about changing the date of RoyAi day induces me to ask - why was June 11th chosen for RoyAi day in the first place? I haven't been able to find an answer to that question anywhere, so I'm hoping someone here can tell me.

<js589: Hi, LadyNorbert! Great to see you here! I edited your post because of a certain word we need to keep on the down-low. smile.gif >

Oh, oops! Sorry about that.
Turdaewen
QUOTE (LadyNorbert @ Apr 26 2011, 08:43 PM) *
Actually, the question about changing the date of RoyAi day induces me to ask - why was June 11th chosen for RoyAi day in the first place? I haven't been able to find an answer to that question anywhere, so I'm hoping someone here can tell me.

That is because Arakawa had a tendency to put up most the major "Royai scenes" of the manga in the June edition of the magazine... We don't know if that was intentional or not, but every year, we seemed to have a "Royai moment" in the FMA chapter released in June...

Most the "major Royai scenes" were released that month, in fact!!

And, since Shounen GanGan's release date is 11th... there you have it.

So, the reason for the date is very similar to our Cannon Royai Day: the day we get "Royai". lol
LadyNorbert
Ahh, interesting! Thank you for clearing that up. smile.gif
iAmjelly
Hey LadyNorbert - it's good to see you here! Welcome to the board!! biggrin.gif

As for Canon Royai Day - Hell yes! With two royai days though, it's kind of hard to decide what people want to do on both because then they'll be too similar. Plus, it's kind of hard to draw a line when it comes to "in character" when it comes to writing fanfiction. A qualitative line is just to vague.

So, I was thinking, (And I dunno if this will work exactly), but what if all the Roy centered royai fics were written on one day and all the Riza centered royai fics on the other day?
A Pierrot's Aria
^Yeah, or quite similarly, "unofficial" Royai day could be dedicated to Roy and Riza as individual characters (because they're both amazing like that!) And "canon" Royai day could be dedicated to celebrating them being 'together'/their relationship, maybe? happy.gif

And welcome to the Royai thread, LadyNorbert!
FirstMoon
Oh,everything's settled! I'm very very relieved and I have been walking around with a dorky smile for two days.At school everyone's asking about my weird change and I'm pretending like "Oh it's my normal mood,don't you guys know?" Being lucky with studying in a class full of geeks they all know FMA and Royai so I don't want to look like a crazy.Because for them they're already in love,I wouldn't be so happy about this. laugh.gif (yeah ...they're kinda...)

Anyways enough with my totally-not-normal-life,I'm totally for this two-days festival! And btw,April 22,June 11 22-11=11 how hilarious!

Ehem,I was going to make something for Royai and now it seems like an opportunity for me laugh.gif
I want to make a fanmix for Royai but I need you because this fanmix will contain songs in different languages. I was going to make my own but when this awesomeness happened I think we might do it together? A mix in different languages and all songs are for Royai! How's that idea ? rolleyes.gif Just a celebration thought that crossed my mind XD

And I saw LadyNorbert? OMG,Welcommeee <3<3
jacksparrow589
LadyNorbert--It's okay. You learn as you go, trust me. And, though I said it before, good to see you here! smile.gif

iAmjelly--Roy-centered for one day and Riza-centered for the other day is definitely a possibility. Any ideas on how to decide which?

A Pierrot's Aria--That's a good idea, too!

FirstMoon--Heck yes! I love doing mixes! I have so many songs for Royai that it's not even funny!

As iAmjelly pointed out, I should probably amend my idea. Official art/merchandise/what have you only on Canon day and fanworks only on "Unofficial" day... does that sound better?
Kaori Ayanami
Oh, that caption... such a little caption to an illustration, so difficult to read in that scan... But it was good enough!

I hadn't checked it all, but if Tombow says so... Royai is indeed canon. I'm not such a shippy person, but hell, I'm happy with this!
Tombow
^ Oh no no, that's just how I feel. ^^ (I'm in no way the authority in Royai matters XDD I'll leave that to Turdaewen and others xp)
But, it seems this comment is generating reactions among FMA fans on the Net, including Japanese readers, so I'm guessing the sentiment might be mutual among others.

As for the festival/celebration, I'll leave it to you guys' capable hands... jacksparrow589 and everyone, please come up with some good way to celebrate the occasion. ^^
Turdaewen
This is what I think:

- First, if Arakawa didn't think the reason for Roy and Riza not getting married to be note worthy, she wouldn't have mention that in the first place.

- Second, she wouldn't put up a reason for 'impediment' of them getting married if they didn't even like eachother... if Roy and Riza weren't a couple (or weren't thought as a romantic pair by Arakawa herself), she would have answered that question differently: she would say there's no such thing, or that they were "not like that", or something of the sort.
Meaning: if she said they couldn't get married because of Military Regulations, it means they would probably get married otherwise. They not being an item would be a much bigger 'impediment' for marriage than Military Regulations! So, it's only logic to think that, in Arakawa's mind, the biggest impediment for the marriage is Military regulations.
That can bring a lot of questions about specifics, like "are they postponing their relationship until Roy gets to the top?" and "Is there also one of the reasons Roy wishes to get there so much?"

- Third, I've always found a little weird for western fans of FMA always question so much the cannoness of Royai... I mean, I know it's not explicit as many other western-like animes would put it, but being subtle and implied is such a stablished caracteristic of Arakawa, already, so where's the big surprise?

Moreover, I don't know about you guys, but I had my share of contact with Japanese people while growing up (being born and raised in a city where there're so many of them as I was) and one of the things I found curious about them (and got accostumed to) is the fact that they are NEVER "to the point". You'll never get a straight, forward answer "Do that" from a Japanese... it's a cultural thing for them to be subtle... When they ARE straight forward, it's for western influence (or they're really pissed lol). Unlike most other asian folk, the Japanese are very sleek when it comes to "saying their mind" (very differently from Koreans or Chinese, for example). So, it's sorta normal for Arakawa not think necessary to be "explicit" and expect that people would just "get it".

About the celebrations, I only have one fear about only having "fan stuff" on the June 11th: that would probably mean that, in about 5 years, we would stop celebrating April 22nd altogether, since we'll hardly get anything new on Royai when the whole series is over! If don't produce things ourselves, there will not be anything new by next year...
But I'm still thinking of a satisfactory solution... lol
RoyxRizaFan
I LEAVE FOR A FEW DAYS AND THIS.

OH. MY. GOD. ICANNOTEVEN.

All right, guys, you're definitely right, this calls for MAJOR celebration...right now I can't even...my sister thinks I'm insane...well, after years of speculation and clinging to subtle moments (the best kind!) for proof and reasurrance...it's real, we now have proof tongue.gif And from the cow goddess herself!

And if she had been direct, it would have lost all the charm of being a RoyAi fan...we'd lose the chance to dissect each and every word (our fave passtime) and we wouldn't have the pleasure of arguing over what she really meant for years to come (our fave...well, it's just our job, as RoyAi defenders...lol!)

I knew that picture was special the first time I saw it! XDDD Thanks so much for all the info, Tombow and everyone involved! A year after the manga's (seemingly, and I say seemingly because, after all, we knew they'd be together forever...that sounded cheesy, you know what I mean) ambiguous ending, it's been confirmed! It's not like we didn't know they were canon already - it's obvious, and we all knew it to be true - but i still think this is very special, because it's just...it's just NICE to have confirmation, especially a subtle piece like this, in the way we RoyAi fans love it!

In celebration, a picture of some cosplays I met at Anime Boston this weekend! I said, "give me RoyAi fanservice!" and when I usually say that, I get a hug or something...but they actually kissed!...it was awesome, and all their fellow FMA cosplayers were huge RoyAi fans like me, so we just fangirled for like 10 minutes (Roy kinda wandered off, poor guy...)

<js589: Edited because of words that "give it away", as it were. Also, if my usage of spoiler tags is too liberal, please let me know! smile.gif>
A Pierrot's Aria
Awesome photo, RoyxRizaFan! laugh.gif Great looking cosplays, too!

And I personally wouldn't mind if we kept it simple and used both days to celebrate the general awesomeness of Roy/Riza/Royai via any means, like fanfiction, fanart, discussion etc... tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.