Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's discuss about CLAMP, Creator of X/1999, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Card Captor Sakura, XXXholic, Wish...
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
sasuki_604
I'm a major fan of CLAMP!
I luv a lot of their manga.

Here is a short list:

X/1999
Tsubasa
Card Captor Sakura
XXXholic
Wish

Anyone here that likes to read CLAMP's works?
wolfi1412
I like Card Captors.. especially Yue.. smile.gif
Quistis88
I suppose I do. I quite like their artwork. Right now, I'm absolutely in love with xxxHOLiC.
Kihaku
Hmm.... I really like Clamp too!
I've only read Magic Knight Rayearth(the anime series influenced me to buy it tongue.gif )
and Chobits.
Then I've read a few volumes of X and I'm planning on reading Wish.
From what I've seen/read I really have liked the beautiful art and story combined!
Hmm... thinking of MKR and X there... but I like magical cutesy stuff and in depth things tongue.gif those manga kind of present those things that I hold high in value.
Hole
I like MKR, CCS, and Angelic Layer. Most of the time their artworks are pretty awesome, but I don't really like the artworks for X, Tokyo Babylon, and Wish. :|

And after awhile I've come to realize they usually have gay pairings. I'm sorry for being old-fashioned, but I'm simply not used to that kind of thing. Also in Chobits and Miyuki-chan they're kind of going to a semi-hentai direction.
Omakase Shimasu
Well, CLAMP is specialized in the shoujo-genre, so it isn't that surprising homo-pairings can be found in one of their manga. biggrin.gif

I only liked WISH, btw. So you could say I'm not really that much of a fan. But it's small and Kokuyo's just awesome. cool.gif ...... X3 Muwahahahahaha~ (<-- evil thoughts, don't ask)
Animeluva13
me so far ive only red chobits and i thought it was great and my freind loves clamp(she has alot of the volumes)
EmoSushi
OH. MY. GOD. CLAMP is le AWESOME! My favorite is Cardcaptor Sakura but I love almost everything else they've done. X/1999, Chobits, XXX Holic, Tsubasa, Legal Drug, oh man, the list just goes on. Tokyopop is gonna start releasing these little "things" highlighting CLAMP works in January that come with chess pieces. I'm not so into chess but I've seen the Cardcaptor Sakura ones and they are friggin adorable. CAN'T WAIT.
Biggs
I only read Chobits so far and I love it. I seen Magic Knight Ray Earth when I was little. I like it. I will check out the other mangas later. SO yeah, I'm a fan of Clamp.
S.U.D
I think Chobits is the best of Clamp, and I dont really like other mangas
of Clamp!!! I like Kodokawa Comics: GoldenBoy, VulgarGhost DD...)!!! smile.gif
jarrylyathealchemist
I like Chobits. I can't think of the other one by Clamp I've read.......
Gashole
Is Chobits really that awesome or am I missing something here? Nice artwork (as expected from CLAMP), but nasty sexual jokes. I'm probably not included in the intended audience.
Kihaku
I really liked Chobits at first...but I don't know..Some seem to think that it's meant for guys, but I think it's too cutesy for that. And I didn't like the idea of computers falling in love...I don't know. I did read the whole series though(lucky me got it from the library tongue.gif ) but it didn't leave me with a "oh, this was sooo good" feeling.
Nasty sexual jokes? I'm probably missing something. I certainly didn't get that feeling. I thought it was(or meant to be) a cute story about love...
I liked that feature in it anyway tongue.gif . All in all it was okay and enjoyable, but not one of my favourites.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Gashole @ Dec 4 2004, 04:22 PM)
Is Chobits really that awesome or am I missing something here? Nice artwork (as expected from CLAMP), but nasty sexual jokes. I'm probably not included in the intended audience.

I know what you mean. tongue.gif And yes, there ARE many innuendoes that many kids won't catch (kids shouldn't be reading that kind of stuff anyway!).

Chii is so overrated though (I like Yuzuki more!). Especially at Anime Cons. EVERYONE dresses up like Chii, nothing is original anymore. When I say everyone, I do mean nearly everyone . . . especially the girls who . . . er, aren't exactly as slim as Chii. Scarier than the manga and anime in that respect.
Fire Alchemist
CLAMP is awesome...

Here's a little list of manga/anime I like by one and only CLAMP:
Tsubasa
Cardcaptor Sakura
X/199
Chobits
and other I dont member right now...
hagane_no_tokage
CLAMP totally rules. holic is one of my absolute most fave mangas EVAR! is it just me or is watanuki totally adorable? *squee~!* and yuuko is just awesome. she's so devious and diabolique... and a total alcoholic. it's great. she's my hero. biggrin.gif
GuestHole
^ I think it's supposed to be XXXholic.
Kihaku
It's probably a nickname? tongue.gif I've never read XXXholic or don't even know what it's about...
I just ordered Wish and I'm thinking of Lawful Drug....
hagane_no_tokage
yes, i know it's XXXHolic, but just 'holic' is easier to say. and it's sort of an alternate universe ginormous crossover of just about every work CLAMP has ever done. it is told in tandem with 'tsubasa', so if you read both series, you get both sides of the story. there are a coupole original characters, but lots of familiar faces... syaoran, sakura, mokona, chii... subtle nuances of just about everything CLAMP has ever written. great stuff.
GuestHole
I like Tsubasa better. The main lady in holic looks awfully creepy.
GuestHole
I wish CLAMP would use more of MKR characters, though.

[/doublepost]
Ryan227
I love Clamp so much. Most of the manga I own is by them, I've read
XXXHolic
Tsubasa
CCS
X/1999
Tokyo Babylon
Clamp School Detectives
Man of Many Faces
Legal Drug

and a little bit of Clamp School Defenders and Suki. I don't really care for Clamp School Detectives I actually like Man of Many Faces better because I really like the school doctor guy and the neighbor hehe I want to see them in other things but no luck. I've only seen some of the Chobits anime, it doesn't look that great well at least not great enough for everything that Clamp makes now to have "From the makers of Chobits" all over it. I can't wait for those chess peices to come out, I want them. My favorite major character is Subaru I LOVE Tokyo Babylon and I actually go through X just to read the parts with him in it sometimes.
Kihaku
ooh...XXXholic sounds interesting.. but I haven't probably read enough of their work to completely get it tongue.gif . I don't anything about Tsubasa either tongue.gif

from the makers of Chobits, eh? I think it used to be from the makers of Card Captor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth... they were their biggest hits, right?
I don't know about the Chobits anime, but the manga was fairly good an denjoyable..I wouldn't say though that it was good enough to replace CCS and MKR as "advertisers".
hagane_no_tokage
holic is great, i like how it's a much darker, more mature story. there are a lot of little mysteries within mysteries that just leave you itching to know what will come next. biggrin.gif i like holic better than tsubasa just cuz i love yuuko (the lady hole said was scary). i don't think she's scary, i think she's awesome!

i think MKR and CCS are the works they are most well-known for...but i much prefer their new style they've adopted for tsubasa and holic. much less swirly shoujou detail, more bold lines, darker shadows... i like the long limbs and the less complicated clothing on the characters now.

and i agree that the chobits anime was a bit of a let down...the manga was much better... but that usually seems to be the case with CLAMP. i can't think of a single CLAMP story that was the same anime as manga... they always change the endings... ;p
GuestHole
Yea, Angelic Layer the anime is kind of really different from the manga.

CLAMP probably changed their style cause everyone else started to follow their original one. I also like their current style better. The females are now not as skinny.
Ryan227
I don't know, I like both of their styles even though I think some of their earlier stuff was weird looking, those kids from Clamp School Detectives freak me out tongue.gif I was thinking about how they (and by they I guess I mean DelRey manga...) use "From the creators of Chobits". Maybe they use that instead of CCS because they're trying to go for an older audience and when a lot of people think of CCS they think that's for little girls and that's not who XXXHolic and Tsubasa are aimed towards.

Oooh yeah in my last post I hardly mentioned Tsubasa, I really, really like it. I love Fai, really him alone is enough to make me love Tsubasa.
Queen of the dammed
Clamp is GOD!!!!!!!!! I own all 18 books of X, 12 books of CCS, 8 books of Tsubasa, Chobits and XXxholic....The others I read on line..... I like their current style now, not a s confusing, and it seems more sophisticated in a way.....
Kihaku
Ooooh... I'm getting very interested biggrin.gif I want to read XXXholic...
About the style: I actually like the pretty shoujo style and the art in MKR, but the art in Chobits was okay too. I can't really say which I prefer artwise.... probably MKR biggrin.gif (Oh well storywise too tongue.gif )
I really liked the MKR anime, but I loathed the end... who knows why.. I thought it was too mushy(wow! and I love stuff like that! Just not now..) and just too different from the manga. I certainly didn't like the killing of certain characters *growl*, but I really loved the anime too. I liked the way that it delved into the chracters and prolonged the story, which usually isn't a good thing, but was very appropriate in this case. It was the first thing that got me into Clamp(that was just some time ago) and of course I ordered the mánga straight away biggrin.gif .
Although before that I had read a bit of Chobits(although now I've read them all), which I had really liked, and a few volumes of X, which really confused me, because I read like vol 4 then 5, then 3... or some kind of wierd order. I really don't have much of a opinion of that series, but it seems promising biggrin.gif .
sasuki_604
@Kihaku: I think you will like Lawful Drugs, there is lots of shounen-ai hints.

I can't wait to get the 8th book of Tsubasa. The store that sells it ran out sad.gif
blueices
I read CCS from them first (and went crazy buying their artbooks because its sooo pretty)
Then there was X (yup bought that artbook too)
I read Chobits in barnes and Noble haha

Now, Holic is sounding very interesting to me (has it been licensed, and if not, are there translations floating around online?
Kihaku
sasuki: I was hoping for that biggrin.gif . And now... I'm even more interested...
Hope you find Tsubasa vol 8! Don't they sell it any other shops nearby?
blueices: yes, XXXholic is licensed... I can't remember by who... drat. I was just looking at it today at one book shop...
blueices
Blue skips into forum very very happy

I just spent quite some time at B+N reading the first vol. of holic...and then 1st vol of Tsubasa....and then 2nd vol of holic.....

and then, realizing I was too exhausted...gave up for the night....

BUT TOMORROW I'M GOING BACK FOR MORE!!!!! rolleyes.gif

I love seeing the old characters doing new and interesting things....and...

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)
sasuki_604
QUOTE(blueices @ Dec 23 2004, 12:12 PM)
I read CCS from them first (and went crazy buying their artbooks because its sooo pretty)
Then there was X  (yup bought that artbook too)
I read Chobits in barnes and Noble haha

Now, Holic is sounding very interesting to me  (has it been licensed, and if not, are there translations floating around online?

Speaking of Art books, I want their North and South one! But way too expensive for me. sad.gif
blueices
Ahh, I haven't heard of North and South (what does it cover?)

Re Tsubasa, Holic:

I wonder if both these series will be adapted to an anime? My guess is yes, about all of CLAMP's titles have been right? And the CCS fanbase would leap onto tsubasa....(legions of Syaoran fans) blink.gif
sasuki_604
QUOTE(blueices @ Dec 25 2004, 10:43 PM)
Ahh, I haven't heard of North and South  (what does it cover?)

Art work from Clamp's work...I think it covers most of all the manga they have done.
Yuki
I´m not really a big fan of Clamps works but my favorit as those I know is Card Captos Sakura and Chobits.
Shaman_Girl88
I love Card Captor Sakura and Wish.
Ryan227
QUOTE(blueices @ Dec 25 2004, 10:43 PM)
Ahh, I haven't heard of North and South  (what does it cover?)

Re Tsubasa, Holic:

I wonder if both these series will be adapted to an anime?  My guess is yes, about all of CLAMP's titles have been right?  And the CCS fanbase would leap onto tsubasa....(legions of Syaoran fans) blink.gif

I remember reading that there's a Tsubasa anime coming out in April and a XXXHolic anime movie coming out sometime... I don't know. biggrin.gif I hope they come out good.

XXXHolic is licensed by DelRey.
Kaizer
ive just started reading chobits. it is really a lot of fun and interesting. i like the plot and claamp's unique style of writing/drawing. Their detail is also amazing.
sasuki_604
QUOTE(Ryan227 @ Dec 28 2004, 08:54 PM)
I remember reading that there's a Tsubasa anime coming out in April and a XXXHolic anime movie coming out sometime... I don't know. biggrin.gif  I hope they come out good.

XXXHolic is licensed by DelRey.

Really?! Awesome! I hope its true, I really want to watch Tsubasa! biggrin.gif
Fresh_Coffee
Chobits and CCS. Chobits art is so pretty! *Stares at Chi Avatar* the story is good too although it's mostly about love.
alchemistgirl zero
Holy Mokona, Batman! biggrin.gif I'm a CLAMP fanatic! My favorite CLAMP manga are XXXholic, Magic Knight Rayearth, CLAMP School Detectives, Tsubasa Reservoir, Chobits, and Card Captor Sakura.
blueices
Thread Resurrection!!! happy.gif

Its unfortunate that Tsubasa has been stuck on chapter 53 or so for so long sad.gif I want to read more soon.

All in all that story so far has been creepily similar to a CCS fanfic I read many years ago...(In that story however, Sakura and Syaoran were thrown into many Final Fantasy-ish settings and had their own Chocobo (sp?) laugh.gif

QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Dec 18 2004, 05:11 PM)
holic is great, i like how it's a much darker, more mature story.  there are a lot of little mysteries within mysteries that just leave you itching to know what will come next.  biggrin.gif  i like holic better than tsubasa just cuz i love yuuko (the lady hole said was scary).  i don't think she's scary, i think she's awesome! 

[snapback]59931[/snapback]

I think she's awesome too...(I'm a bit behind on my holic reading though) I want to see what the grander story of holic is already...I know there's something big coming, but I can't even fathom who or what the big enemy shall be.
Fresh_Coffee
Blue: Changed her avatar into a bigger verison 0_0 anyway could you tell me what Tsubasa is about? I'm interested in reading it happy.gif
blueices
Nani? My avatar isn't Harry Potter anymore laugh.gif As per coffee's request it's been changed ...That cutie in there is Raito from Death Note.

as for Tsubasa....(without much spoiling)
I'll describe it as Taking CardCaptor Sakura's lead characters (Sakura and Syaoran) and throwing them into alternate dimensions with a medley of new characters and some other familiar faces from CLAMP's Chobits, X/1999, etc.

(very very fun)
Fresh_Coffee
Blue: Is your avatar Lick? I'm making a guess because I keep seeing fanart of the dude XD from deathnote which reminds me I should start it soon ;_; I wanna read Tsubasa now! laugh.gif
blueices
Tsubasa is a great read..head over to directmanga.com to get it.

as for my avatar, its the main character Raito :drools:
Kihaku
OOh.. I'd like to read Tsubasa. How many vols is it?
I couldn't believe my luck when I found Tokyo Babylon vol 1 at the library.. I managed to read the next four too... of course I never got to the climax and I manged to spoil myself quite a bit by just glancing at X... I swear I just glanced....
What characters are there from X (and Chobits) in Tsubasa?
I've never read Card Captor Sakura.. but apparently it's available at the library too...
blueices
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Mar 2 2005, 09:48 AM)
OOh.. I'd like to read Tsubasa. How many vols is it?
I couldn't believe my luck when I found Tokyo Babylon vol 1 at the library.. I managed to read the next four too... of course I never got to the climax and I manged to spoil myself quite a bit by just glancing at X... I swear I just glanced....
What characters are there from X (and Chobits) in Tsubasa?
I've never read Card Captor Sakura.. but apparently it's available at the library too...
[snapback]124970[/snapback]

It somewhere in its 8th volume right now and you can find up to the 54th chapter translated online...I think up to the 4th volume is available in american bookstores.

Lets see, character from X: So far we have seen Arashi Kishu (the priestess) and the guy who promised to protect her (I keep forgetting his name) laugh.gif Ah it's Sorata Arisugawa ( I had to look these up as its been awhile)
When we come across them, they live in a rather interesting country and they are married. (she's a housewife and he's a historian of the magical creatures there)
She likes hitting him a lot. laugh.gif

From Chobits, we've seen Chi (she's acted the same so far) laugh.gif so far but I suspect there's more to come from that cast.

And do read CCS at some point (before tsubasa is preferable) You fall in love with the characters (so kawaii!!!) And then to see nearly the whole cast in an Alternate universe format is a real treat happy.gif CCS is 12vols. btw.
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(blueices @ Mar 1 2005, 07:55 PM)
Tsubasa is a great read..head over to directmanga.com to get it.

as for my avatar, its the main character Raito :drools:
[snapback]124492[/snapback]

Well can't blame me for trying biggrin.gif

X as in XXX? That anime about destiny and there was that guy who's fate was to die and he would do so by protecting the girl he loved? 0_0 I also got so into Tsubasa I checked it out it seems they are going to make into an anime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.