Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Discussion: Women cosplaying Ed
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Conventions and Cosplays > Cosplay
sarahbn
I decided I want to make an Edward Elric costume for Halloween, and as I'm looking online at the amazing costumes people have made, I noticed something: virtually every Ed Elric cosplayer is female (like me). In your opinion, is this true, and if so, why? Is it that women identify more with his story of self-sacrifice? Do men not feel comfortable playing a young teenage boy, or maybe they have other characters they just like better? Do women just do more cosplaying than men?
Tombow
From what I've seen, I think Ed is a popular character for cosplaying for both male and female FMA fans. ^^ I've seen pics of guys cosplaying as Ed (I think that's a guy but if not my apologies! ^^), but it helps if the person is rather short since Ed is supposedly very short in most part of the story, and I think this may pose a challenge to taller guys. Also, Ed is a young boy, and I've read young (low-teen) male members posting that they would be cosplying as Ed, but I think when male FMA fans get older sometimes it's hard to mask their "mature guy" looks while cosplaying as Ed, unless the person has a younger looking face (seen Ed cosplayer with Five O'clock shadow? ..not very convincing XDD), whereas I think it might be easier for female Ed fans to "fake" a young boy look? tongue.gif

=====

<Program Note>

We may be turning Cosplay thread into a sub-forum. When/if that happens this thread would be moved to the new sub-forum. Please keep eyes on our Board Announcement forum for future announcements. smile.gif

Meantime, everyone, please feel free to add your reply posts here. smile.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
@Tombow Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a guy...(I'd feel awful right now if it wasn't... wacko.gif )

I agree with Tombow in that older guys trying to cosplay as younger guys can be a little awkward due to the stubble...Perhaps girls predominately cosplay as characters such as Ed because they have a stubble-less face no matter how old they get --but therein lies the problem of a girl's other physical features; perhaps sometimes they are dead give-aways that you are in fact a girl, if you get my meaning. laugh.gif

Or maybe girls find it more fun to dress up? xD
xScarlet
I wouldn't mind being Ed <3 xD
And I agree with Tombow as well
sarahbn
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Apr 16 2011, 09:39 PM) *
Perhaps girls predominately cosplay as characters such as Ed because they have a stubble-less face no matter how old they get --but therein lies the problem of a girl's other physical features; perhaps sometimes they are dead give-aways that you are in fact a girl, if you get my meaning. laugh.gif

True, though the cut of Ed's clothing is forgiving enough that it can hide some of those features, provided they're not particularly... prominent. The black jacket is cut to hang away from the body at the waist, which would conceal the bust somewhat; even larger-busted women could bind themselves and it wouldn't show much, though it might look too much like a barrel chest. The high waist means that even on a man the pants would be expected to be narrower than at the hips, and the wide belt can help make up some of the difference between a woman's waist and hip, drawing the attention away from the hip, which is decreased in apparent size by the black color. And then of course you cover it all up with the red overcoat, further hiding any unseemly bulges. I don't think a woman of my... carriage... could manage without the overcoat.
Envy's Lady
Aside from stuff people already mentioned....I think that there are less male cosplayers in general compared to female cosplayers. And although it's not always the case, I feel that more females seem to put more effort and time into their cosplays. It just seems like in general more women are into the whole cosplay thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.