Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Satanism and FMA, FMA is actually highly linked to Satanism?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
MsShilaCA
Yes I'm new, and I don't know why but I had to tell people this (I got stuck on the topic) but I think FMA may be actually really deeply linked to satanism. I discovered this possibility by talking to a friend that is satanist. In the religion a homunculus is, like in the anime, created by the failure of a ritual that is used to create an artificial lifeform. The Ouroboros is also a symbol of satanism (the dragon biting its own tail) Not only that but the upside down pentagram is also in alot of the transmutation circles. Like I said abouit the homonculus the 7 pointed array used to commit human transmutation is the same array shape used in the ritual. Also in the religion alchemy is the act of taking human souls and basically feeding them to satan (human sacrifice as seen in a few movies and other animes) thus completing his work.

Please tell me what you think of this?

As I just learned if you look up "Ouroboros Satanism" on google images and if you just look at the goat in the pentagram image you will find that in most of them the ouroboros mark is what surrounds the goat in the pentagram. The ouroboros mark afterall does really mean "none ending" which would explain why the homonculi cant really die, since they have the tatoo (in the second series).

Also the goat that is inside of the upside down pentagram is called "Mendez: The god of LUST" Lust being one of the homunculus.

Tombow
<Program Note>

Welcome to our board, MsShilaCA! smile.gif

That's an interesting topic, but... we'll move this to FMA-1 anime forum shortly, since homunculi are not created by failed human transmutations in FMA:Brotherhood anime, as FMA:Brotherhood anime is following FMA manga storyline. And hence, this discussion is probably more suited in FMA-1 anime forum. smile.gif

Meantime, everyone please feel free to add your reply here. smile.gif
Chiyo
I don't think you can narrow it down to being deeply linked with Satanism. That would be suggesting the whole series is based upon this, but it isn't, what you describe is the "evil" that opposes the "good". What happens in the series is suggesting what happens when people try to play God thus it is linked with Christianity and hence why there must be a negative result to playing around with a higher power.

The first evidence of creatures like Homonculi date back to Greece, and Alchemy was practised by other religions such as Islam. The first Ouroboros was found in Ancient Egyptian text. The Pentagram is a magical symbol used in various beliefs. What I'm saying is, is that although these symbols may be linked with Satanism, they weren't created by Satanists so it's hard to say that is what FMA is aiming for.
AXavierB
QUOTE (MsShilaCA @ Apr 13 2011, 09:43 PM) *
In the religion a homunculus is, like in the anime, created by the failure of a ritual that is used to create an artificial lifeform.

No, it's not. A homunculus is an alchemical concept, not a religious one. It has nothing to do with satanism. It's also not a "failure", but a deliberate creation of an artificial human.

The Ouroboros is also a symbol of satanism (the dragon biting its own tail)

It's also a symbol of immortality. Context.

Not only that but the upside down pentagram is also in alot of the transmutation circles.

Pentagrams aren't just symbols in satanism. They're also symbols of faith in Wicca, and have magical connotations in other neopagan religions.

Like I said abouit the homonculus the 7 pointed array used to commit human transmutation is the same array shape used in the ritual.

Which ritual?

Also in the religion alchemy is the act of taking human souls and basically feeding them to satan (human sacrifice as seen in a few movies and other animes) thus completing his work.

That's entirely false. Alchemy is nothing more than an early precursor to chemistry. I don't know where you got that idea.

Also the goat that is inside of the upside down pentagram is called "Mendez: The god of LUST" Lust being one of the homunculus.

I think that's grasping a bit. I don't think Lust is meant to reference anything other than the sin of lust.

So yeah, I think this is more than a little... eh, trying too hard to find symbolism. There is definitely religious symbolism in the series, but satanism? Not so much.

EDIT: Also, as I understand it, satanism is in fact not about worshiping Satan himself, and plenty of satanists don't even believe Satan exists. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm pretty sure he's just used as a symbol.
MsShilaCA
QUOTE (AXavierB @ Apr 14 2011, 02:23 PM) *
EDIT: Also, as I understand it, satanism is in fact not about worshiping Satan himself, and plenty of satanists don't even believe Satan exists. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm pretty sure he's just used as a symbol.

Look at satanic religion sites, they discuss alchemy in them, satanic alchemy is the stuff like human sacrifice.........
AXavierB
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I've never heard about human sacrifice being associated with alchemy in any way outside of Fullmetal Alchemist's version of the philosopher's stone. Alchemy was an ancient pseudoscience that evolved into modern chemistry. It brought us things like whiskey.

EDIT: Are you by chance getting your information from sites like this? Because I'd hardly call some Freewebs site a reputable source. =P
Chizakura
Even if the stuff IS related to satanism, it's not like the series is promoting it. All the stuff that might possibly aim at satanism is stuff that the series is calling a bad thing, so ... does it really matter?

But I'm with AXavierB. I think someone spent too much time trying to prove FMA is "evil" and dug for anything they possibly could.

Kind of like how some people say the series Yu-gi-oh is EEEVIILLLL because there's stars on the cards OHNO. Or like Harry Potter is evil because there's witchcraft, despite the protagonists using the magic for good and not evil. (Not to mention it's not related to satan whatsoever in HP...) Just enjoy the series, and stop trying to find reasons for it to be an evil influence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.