Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Demons in Shanghai (上海妖魔鬼怪, Shanghai Youma Kikai)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Discussions on Arakawa's Other Works > Arakawa's Other Works
Shirokage
Demons in Shanghai

2000, Shounen GanGan

Plot Summary: In the year 2050 AD, Humans live in a world filled with science and electronics, but the "Demon Capital" Shanghai has never been rid of demons. Fortunately, the supernatural Demon Taoists Corporation is here to ensure that neither vampires, demigods, or even trans-cultural literary icons trouble the citizens...at least, for too long.
Source - Otaku Works

All the stuff is scanlated by me, unless otherwise stated.

Demons of Shanghai Chapter One:
Character introduction
Page 01 Page 02 Page 03 Page 04 Page 05
Page 06 Page 07 Page 08 Page 09 Page 10
Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15
Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20
Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25
Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30
Page 31 Page 32 Page 33 Page 34 Page 35
Page 36 Page 37 Page 38 Page 39 Page 40
Page 41 Page 42 Page 43 Page 44

Demons of Shanghai Chapter Two:
Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30
Page 31

Demons of Shanghai - Chapter Three, Part One:

Demons of Shanghai - Chapter Three, Part Two:
Page 16 Page 17 Page 18-19 Page 20
Page 26 Page 27 Page 28
Shirokage
I've finally finished the scanlation for Demons of Shanghai - Chapter One! (Although I was meant to be studying...) They're getting uploaded as I'm typing this.

Same as always: find a broken link or anything like that, give me a yell and I'll patch it up. Feel free to give any comments as well.
Nepharski
QUOTE(Shirokage @ Jun 20 2006, 02:49 AM) [snapback]414047[/snapback]

I've finally finished the scanlation for Demons of Shanghai - Chapter One! (Although I was meant to be studying...) They're getting uploaded as I'm typing this.

Same as always: find a broken link or anything like that, give me a yell and I'll patch it up. Feel free to give any comments as well.

Very nice. I didn't like Stray Dog so much, but this...good stuff. Having a Bhuddist vampire was a stroke of genius. I await Chatper 2.
Sensenic
A couple of comments:
- Nynetales: I don't know... her name is Kuo. I know it's a pun with the "Kyuubi" kanjis but, it feels "weird". Dunno, I'd rather call her Kuo then put a sidetext where it'd say "it roughly translates as "Nynetales" wink.gif ", for example.
- Street: I know "machi" means literally street/avenue... but wouldn't it be more appropriate to translate it as "city" here? I dunno that much Japanese, so I can't tell for sure, but I've seen it used to mean "city" or "town" many times... and, since they're making reference to Shanghai, which is quite "bigger" than a street... happy.gif I think it'd be more appropriate.

And... I'm sorry for only bringing up "bad points"... happy.gifU I mean, otherwise I love it, and I'm really thankful to you for making it m(__)m

Shirokage
QUOTE(Sensenic @ Jun 23 2006, 06:30 AM) [snapback]414973[/snapback]

A couple of comments:
- Nynetales: I don't know... her name is Kuo. I know it's a pun with the "Kyuubi" kanjis but, it feels "weird". Dunno, I'd rather call her Kuo then put a sidetext where it'd say "it roughly translates as "Nynetales" wink.gif ", for example.
- Street: I know "machi" means literally street/avenue... but wouldn't it be more appropriate to translate it as "city" here? I dunno that much Japanese, so I can't tell for sure, but I've seen it used to mean "city" or "town" many times... and, since they're making reference to Shanghai, which is quite "bigger" than a street... happy.gif I think it'd be more appropriate.

And... I'm sorry for only bringing up "bad points"... happy.gifU I mean, otherwise I love it, and I'm really thankful to you for making it m(__)m

Well, the thing Nynetales/Kuo is that not only its supposed to be a pun, I think it was meant to be some sort of hint to the reader that the director isn't human as well. It's really hard to achieve the same meaning in english as it was in japanese, as you know, the kanji for the director's name literally means nine tails. I don't really like side notes, that's why I tried to come up with something for the director.

As for the street thing, that's my bad, because I was working kinda late, and wasn't thinking clearly. I'll patch up the scans when I have time.
Sensenic
QUOTE (Shirokage @ Jun 23 2006, 04:54 AM) *
Well, the thing Nynetales/Kuo is that not only its supposed to be a pun, I think it was meant to be some sort of hint to the reader that the director isn't human as well. It's really hard to achieve the same meaning in english as it was in japanese, as you know, the kanji for the director's name literally means nine tails. I don't really like side notes, that's why I tried to come up with something for the director.

Well, rather than a hint, in the next chapters is mentioned explicitly happy.gifU
In a couple of yonkomas she actually appears in the fox form and on another with fox-fire (kitsunebi) around her. So not much of a mistery... Perhaps only in this first chapter, yes...
Check The LJ Arakawa community for everything you want to know about SYK (tho' some posts be friend-locked).

Whatever, it's just that I always prefer the original names to be kept, but I understand your point.
Shirokage
The fact that the director was in fact a nine tailed fox was only supposed to be 'hidden' up to the point where she completely trashed the vampire and Jack tells of his past anyway. So its not like its a big secret.

I knew that the name Nynetales sounded a bit off, but that was the only thing I could come up with to replace the subtle hint. I thought that if I put in a side note, I would draw extra attention to her name, and then people might think something is up with her way before its revealed. (Maybe I'm thinking too much, because I read the whole thing before translating it.)

Translating from japanese to english is hard, since the languages are so different from each other.
Nepharski
"Short-lived Regime" indeed. Can't wait for Part II.

I really like this Shanghai stuff Arakawa does. One question though...what's the name of the anxious guy on the tourism board?
Shirokage
I don't think he actually has a name, but Nynetales calls him "Rui", which means type or category (That's why I named him "Type"). In the next panel after Nynetales calls him that, Yan goes on to explain that "Type" is supposed to be a kind of monster. It thought that bit sounded a bit weird, but that's what I think it translates to. I could be wrong though.
Nepharski
The infamous Monkey King's Bo staff...proping up a weathered wall.

Hillarious.

How many chapters did Arakawa do for Shanghai? Plenty more, I hope.
Shirokage
That was the last one to date. So unless Arakawa draws more of Shanghai, that will be the end.
Funderful
'Demons of Shanghai'.
Hmm. Uh, What is Havoc and Lust doing there?
Oh, wait. That's not them.
But seriously. That women in the character introduction looks like Hawkeye/Lust/Hughes combination.
And that dude looks exactly like Lt.Havoc.

Similarties, that's all.
mellulah
OMG! i dont know if anyones noticed this yet (apoligies if they have) but on the Deomns of Shanghai chaper 3 part2 on page 27 theres that dude who keep on reappearing in FMA in the crowd XD
Tsumiko
~ Shanghai Youma Kikai: Hiromu Arakawa And Demonic Shanghai Of Future smile.gif ~

Hi everyone smile.gif What do you think about this short (4 chapters) work of H.A. sensei?
I found it brilliant... what a pity, that it wasn't published as a volume even in Japan... Or was it? wink.gif

Personally I was unable to find anthing more than a drama CD...
Sariachan
amber1003 posted some info about a possible new series from Hiromu Arakawa!

It seems that there is a possibility for Shanghai Youma Kikai to become a long series, or so I understood it.

I can't wait to know more about this! biggrin.gif
DistantBlue
Hmm....I'm not a very big fan of Shanghai Youma Kikai, but its something new from arakawa, so i"m still looking forward to it. I'm more anxious to see a brand-new work/series from her, but I'm guessing that won't come along for a while.

hero Tales is ending next month? I havent read the whole series, only the first, 13th, and 19th chapters, but it doesnt seem ready for an ending yet.
A Pierrot's Aria
I've never read Shanghai Youma Kikai, but I may if she plans to continue with it; although Like DistantBlue I'm looking more forward to seeing a completely new work from her.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Hero Tales didn't seem ready to end yet. xD
Sariachan
I'm reading the Italian publication of Juushin Enbu and I'm liking it even if she didn't wrote the story, but reading the manga wrote by her is a whole another thing.

I read all the available chapters of Shanghai Youma Kikai yesterday, and it was really funny, even if much more basic and generic than FMA. If she reworks the plot and the characters a little she could get a series from it, though, in my opinion. ^^
Hagaren-Shiroi
I am reading Shanghai Youma Kikai and I love also it is it me seeing Shanghai Youma Kikai main characters similariti with scar ?

Isa-Sama
*.* Good thing if Shanghai Youma Kikai is going to be serialised. I love it but I wonder if she's going to change the plot to make it more like a long story of if she's just going to publish short stories with these characters (like in the first four chapters) .

By the way, I've read chapter 20 of Juushin Enbu and it will end next month because...

Shimei is dead (Raira killed him), Chouka (the female character always with Keirou) is dead too and the fight between Taitou and Keirou will end next chapter, I think.

So sad but if this annouce the return of Shanghai Youma Kikai, then it's fine happy.gif
Hagaren-Shiroi
QUOTE (Isa-Sama @ Aug 2 2010, 09:04 PM) *
*.* Good thing if Shanghai Youma Kikai is going to be serialised. I love it but I wonder if she's going to change the plot to make it more like a long story of if she's just going to publish short stories with these characters (like in the first four chapters) .

By the way, I've read chapter 20 of Juushin Enbu and it will end next month because...

Shimei is dead (Raira killed him), Chouka (the female character always with Keirou) is dead too and the fight between Taitou and Keirou will end next chapter, I think.

So sad but if this annouce the return of Shanghai Youma Kikai, then it's fine happy.gif

where did you read it?
A Pierrot's Aria
I've read the chapters of Shanghai Youma Kikai and I've got to say, I actually really enjoyed it. It has great humour and the story seems pretty interesting.

Although, the epithet "The Ripper" is just unfortunate for the main character, named Jack. laugh.gif

I hope that she gets the go-ahead to serialise this manga, just so long as she is able to extend and deepen the plot enough to make it better, accompanied by further development of the characters. I'd hate for it to be a series of one-shots, so I hope its "serialisation" will mean that it will be one continuous story. Also, I think that perhaps a bit of a cut down on the humour and giving it a more 'serious' tone would also be good; but, of course, still have humorous scenes.
Qashqai
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Aug 3 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Although, the epithet "The Ripper" is just unfortunate for the main character, named Jack. laugh.gif

Well, since on one page someone mentions something about him in London 1888, I assume he is that Jack the Ripper, so it was on purpose, that unfortunate association, I guess xD
Anyway, Demons of Shanghai was fun, indeed. I'd prefer something entirely new for the new serialization, but, like Aria said, if she extend and deepen plot a bit, it can be a nice series, too. And it'd be nice to see Jack and others animated later, when it'll be enough chapters to make an anime series ^^!
Anyway, about Juushin Enbu 20... I don't understand Italian, but nevermind. Ryuukou on the cover was so cuteee! 8D and on page 31 <3 he's cute in general <33 XD (ok, I'm such a fangirl sometimes XD)
Why did Keirou have a third eye? |D I wonder what happened in the end. The last panel suggest that Taitou got hit. :<
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (Qashqai @ Aug 4 2010, 04:16 PM) *
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Aug 3 2010, 01:24 PM) *

Well, since on one page someone mentions something about him in London 1888, I assume he is that Jack the Ripper, so it was on purpose, that unfortunate association, I guess xD

Yeah, that's what I was thinking- it just made the association worse. xD It made me laugh, but I do hope he's not actually supposed to be the ripper...that'd be weird. O.O

And I'm glad you agree, and I agree with you, also- seeing it animated would be brilliant!

I like Ryuukou, too...but I also like Housei...They're my two favourites. laugh.gif
mellulah
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Aug 4 2010, 09:28 AM) *
[size=3][font="Book Antiqua"]Yeah, that's what I was thinking- it just made the association worse. xD It made me laugh, but I do hope he's not actually supposed to be the ripper...that'd be weird. O.O

Ha ha, he is THE Jack the Ripper, he was a rouge demon that got house trained
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (mellulah @ Aug 4 2010, 11:51 PM) *
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Aug 4 2010, 09:28 AM) *
[size=3][font="Book Antiqua"]Yeah, that's what I was thinking- it just made the association worse. xD It made me laugh, but I do hope he's not actually supposed to be the ripper...that'd be weird. O.O

Ha ha, he is THE Jack the Ripper, he was a rouge demon that got house trained

Seriously? o.o (Forgive me, I'm tired and I don't know if you're joking!) When I read this part I didn't know whether to chalk it up to him being the Ripper or if it's just some sort of weird coincidence.

But this brings up another thought on the series; I thought the explanations of what and who they are were to vague and seemed slightly rushed. I'm probably missing something important. laugh.gif
mellulah
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Aug 4 2010, 05:18 PM) *
Seriously? o.o (Forgive me, I'm tired and I don't know if you're joking!) When I read this part I didn't know whether to chalk it up to him being the Ripper or if it's just some sort of weird coincidence.

But this brings up another thought on the series; I thought the explanations of what and who they are were to vague and seemed slightly rushed. I'm probably missing something important. laugh.gif

Yeah well, it said that he was the Ripper and was murdering women when the real murders took place. He just got taught some manners until he was a civilised (well kinda) person and was no longer a mindless killer
A Pierrot's Aria
QUOTE (mellulah @ Aug 5 2010, 02:18 PM) *
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Aug 4 2010, 05:18 PM) *

Yeah well, it said that he was the Ripper and was murdering women when the real murders took place. He just got taught some manners until he was a civilised (well kinda) person and was no longer a mindless killer

Yeah, haha, Nynetales made sure of that. xD But I don't even remember it mentioning women getting murdered. That's probably why I'm being so scatterbrained about it. ohmy.gif That said, it does mention 1888, so I guess it goes without saying. I just find the fact that he most likely is supposed be one in the same, very, very strange. Then again, it's probably quite apt that he's actually a demon. xD
Gimpyhair
QUOTE (Sariachan @ Aug 1 2010, 06:10 PM) *
amber1003 posted some info about a possible new series from Hiromu Arakawa!

It seems that there is a possibility for Shanghai Youma Kikai to become a long series, or so I understood it.

I can't wait to know more about this! biggrin.gif

I was actually wondering this: Does serialization means becoming a long serie, like having a monthly released? I don't understand some terms, sorry ^^; Anyway, I hope so: I love Demons of Shanghai, I hope we will have more about this biggrin.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
Just decided to take a random gander at Amber1003's journal and according to her, the magazine "Pafu" has an interview with Arakawa inside. She states that she will carry on with "Shanghai Yoma Kikai" after the movie (presumably the FMA one. laugh.gif) And there are plans for a one shot and short serialisation.

However, she [Amber] is unsure of whether or not this [the one shot/short serialisation] is referring to the Shounen Sunday series because the advertisement didn't mention it would be a short series. (This is what I get from what she's saying in the journal. happy.gif)

But, if I'm to hazard a guess, it may be that the short serialisation will be in the Shounen Sunday mag and may run for a few months, until she starts on "Shanghai Yoma Kikai"? We'll have to wait and see. laugh.gif

I apologise in advance if I've misunderstood her comments in any way. wacko.gif
Tombow
^ Thank you, A Pierrot's Aria! biggrin.gif

I tried to see if I can find more info on that interview mentioned by Amber on her DivArt entry, as posted by A Pierrot's Aria above, but so far I only found Japanese blog info on 「ぱふ」 (Pafu) magazine interview of Arakawa-sensei done in March 2005.

If anyone get more info on this new Arakawa-sensei's interview by Japanese 「ぱふ」 (Pafu) magazine, please post. ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.