Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA "MiloStar" art style, character (visual) design, set design, etc. (Any post that contains actual movie spoiler discussions --> please post in SPOILER ZONE forum)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Sacred Star of Milos Movie
Pyroclasm
Talk about art style, character (visual) design, set design, etc of the movie here!

------

I have to say watching the trailer, I think the art style is quite nice. It DOES look kind of like a blend of anime1 and Brotherhood. I'm not quite sure what to make of the flying woman and what I can only assume is a wolf-man Chimera. I'll reserve my judgement on that bit for now.
Anakishi
That's a pretty... curious trailer. tongue.gif
I really won't make any judgementes.

About the art, I still can't seem to like it. In fact, it was strange hearing how many people found it awesome. After watching the video several times now, everything's quite okay, except sometimes I felt there was no proper shading, so the characters looked flat. And then it hit me: it's that stupid hair. That's the thing I really didn't like in anime-1 design, Ed's hair is spreading in all directions, and the bangs go up like whoa from the forehead (am I making sense?), it was never like that in the manga. Riza's hair looked odd too.
But, other than that, I got used to it. By the time the movie comes, maybe I'll already love it!
AXavierB
I actually kind of like the new art style, but there's something off about it. I don't know if it's the shading or the color palette or what. The outlines to the characters also look a bit... squiggly?

I'm also a little disappointed that it's a midquel. I was hoping it'd be about what happened after the end of the series, too. But, I'll suspend my judgment for now because it could easily still be good. As for the art, I wouldn't worry about that either. Brotherhood's original teasers had ugly art too, and look at how pretty the show turned out.
S.F. Thunder
The only thing I don't like about the art of this movie so far is what I've seen of the shading. As someone mentioned above, it seems insufficient, and the characters look rather flat. But again, we've only seen a few seconds, so I'm hoping that won't be the case through the whole thing.

Other than that, I'm so used to Ed's hair having a coloured outline that it's weird that it has a black outline now. xD

I think this will be a good movie, filler or not. Like I said before, I don't think the conclusion of FMA needs anything added to it. I was very happy with the epilogue.
Ingnae

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/i.../Untitled-2.jpg

The new and different looks of characters (especially Roy) reminded me Studio Ghibli (Miyazaki)'s artwork. Or is it just me?

Sketchy art, weird masks of flyers (batwomen), round end of hairs and simple ears... these're definitely from Miyazaki's.

I think it's too early to decide about this movie.
It's just 30 seconds... I think I have to wait more smile.gif
Tombow
QUOTE (Ingnae @ Nov 15 2010, 09:21 PM) *
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/i.../Untitled-2.jpg

The new and different looks of characters (especially Roy) reminded me Studio Ghibli (Miyazaki)'s artwork. Or is it just me?

Sketchy art, weird masks of flyers (batwomen), round end of hairs and simple ears... these're definitely from Miyazaki's.

@Ingnae - I mentioned that a few pages back, as soon as I saw the trailer caps, but nobody else seemed to have noticed (nor care XD) so I just kept it to myself since then. ^^ Glad to know someone else saw that also. biggrin.gif
And yes, I agree. The way they look, and the "flying bat-woman" (..for those not familiar, Miyazaki is known to have a fascination for flying, and "girl/female character flying" is one of repeated main themes in his anime movies) .. that, and the various "mask/goggle/face coverings" that get used repeatedly in his movies, and that bat-woman somehow reminds me of the Lord Lady (forgot her name xd) in Princess Mononoke, and the head design of the wolf chimera reminds me of wolves in Miyazaki's movie as well. smile.gif

See what I mean... ^^

Anyway, I, too am eagerly awaiting to find out more on the movie. biggrin.gif
FirstMoon
QUOTE (RaphieL @ Nov 16 2010, 12:03 AM) *
My most honest opinion: I love how this movie looks.

Yeah, it's not what we expected, but it's not bad either. I mean, Yeah there's been like 6 versions of the same story already but having a spin-off/seperate series wouldn't be bad. And who knows, remember this? CoS kinda looked the same.

Yeah.

OH MY YES YES.
My hopes went up suddenly.So,still it can be post-series????
Kasumisty
I've been watching a lot of Ghibli movies recently and I so see the similiarities. If there only was such great animation as in Ponyo on the cliff...I would be in heaven.
Anomia Grey
QUOTE (RaphieL @ Nov 16 2010, 12:03 AM) *
My most honest opinion: I love how this movie looks.

Yeah, it's not what we expected, but it's not bad either. I mean, Yeah there's been like 6 versions of the same story already but having a spin-off/seperate series wouldn't be bad. And who knows, remember this? CoS kinda looked the same.

Yeah.

BWAHAHA that is seriously the most misleading teaser I've ever seen. This really puts things into perspective.
Rainshine
Am I the only person who actually liked CoS? :< (read: alfons heiderich)
And now that people have mentioned it, the art style really does look like Miyazaki. Not to mention the content, especially batwoman. And looking at the teaser too, CoS really didn't look that good. XD There's just some random guy in a mask, and then Edward rips part of his shirt off again. Does anyone know when we'll be getting a longer teaser/trailer for the new movie?
I must know moooooore! *^*
shanryelric
RAINSHINE : NO. I LOOOVEEEE CoS.
MustangSally
I don't mind the idea of a story set during the manga/anime, but I really don't like the artwork. I think it looks like of cheesy and lazy. The characters don't really look like themselves. What I like about Brotherhood is that the characters looked very close to the manga.
Hoshino Hikari
I was really surprised by this new design and, at first, a bit disappointed. I was hoping that it wouldn't be a midquel and it would continue the manga story. It's quite a shame, but I suppose you are right: everything has been said at the end, and I won't complain, because it's still Fullmetal Alchemist. The fact is, as it seems to be a midquel, this will be another adventure which may not affect the real story... And which could be neglected. So I hope it will stay in our heart as the manga did. happy.gif

Well, I got used to Brotherhood's design, and I thought it would be a Brotherhood film. This change astonished me. In my view, it seems a bit clumsy sometimes, but it will certainly be good in the whole film. Perhaps it will be exactly like Brotherhood: at the beginning, I didn't like it so much, but after I couldn't go without it. So it is interesting to test a new way. I found Roy a little bit strange, on the other hand I loved Riza. Her eyes are... Attracting. I also enjoyed the last scene with Edward. (Plus, HQ is nice!) And the music sounds great.
Otherwise, I'm glad to see that there will be actions with the military and not only the Elric brothers.

I'm looking forward to have more informations! It's exciting. I wish we will find in this film all the characteristics that made us love FMA. It would be great. smile.gif

Nefertekas
Regarding the movie:
I agree with you Hoshino Hikari, Riza's eyes look great. smile.gif The colors they used add a lot of depth into them. <3
And I was also explecting a movie with Brotherhood animation, just like CoS maintained the 1st anime's animation!
I've grown so used to Brotherhood's, 'cause it's a lot like the manga's... :/ It's gonna make this movie seem a little confusing to me I suppose. >.<

I wonder if they're trying to make this a more "solid" animation, with darker colors and sturdier lines, in order to make it look more serious or "mature" ? Hmmm.
(though part of the animation reminds me of the OLD animes; for example when Ed's running. His face reminds me oddly of the Saint Seiya design. >.O Also, his eyes used to be solid gold. I love dark solid gold, with a little hint of light here and there. But now they're like... gradient light gold. Odd.)

ED_Cantu
Well i'm starting to like the new design more, it's difficult since i got used to Brotherhood's style, but the colors they are using are so weird in some scenes, particulary Ed's eyes. As for the plot since Arakawa is not writting this i hope the story is good and that the staff of the movie at least consult her for some things.

Kasumisty
Yay, thanks Hil <3 I'm so wondering what is written in here.

QUOTE (Tombow @ Dec 9 2010, 07:37 AM) *
The first page scan in hilary's post above says the time period of the movie is when Al is already able to perform alchemy without the alchemy circle, and Roy and the gang are still in Central.

There we have our timeline. *does quick reasearch* So the action is happening between chapters (circa) 31 (End of Greed's arc) and 52 (Gluttony's arc). I don't know if they thought about fitting in into timeline, but there aren't too many loose places to fill...

As for the character design, it's allright, but I would expect something more from a full-length movie. Al looks pretty the same in all medias, but Ed, surprisingly looks a lot like his manga counterpart! I'm surprised, because at the beginning he looked a lot more like from the first anime and so different from Brotherhood.

Comparison: (does anyone have Brotherhood!Ed chart?)

I hope there will be also something in the newest Gangan, as Amber said before.
Michiyo-
I agree with Kasumisty about the character design, it's very close to the manga. (Here's a Brotherhood Ed chart.)

EveningAlchemist
I'm getting real excited about this movie now! By the way, did anyone notice that Ed's eyes have a greenish tint to them at the bottom now? It looks really nice actually. The whole design and animation is looking great. Ed's face looks so much like it is in the actual manga - especially the 3/4 view one. happy.gif Anyways, I hope for more interesting news later...
Tombow
Thank you, Kasumisty! ^^

From some of the scans posted by Kasumisty above:

- I guess the city infrastructure by Millos Hill is called Table City. ^^

- These are "Settei" drawings (the original drawing from Arakawa-sensei for the new FMA movie, from which the character designs, in this case, Ed and Al, for the new FMA movie are based on) for Ed's and Al's faces.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Tombow @ Dec 12 2010, 01:42 PM) *
- These are "Settei" drawings (the original drawing from Arakawa-sensei for the new FMA movie, from which the character designs, in this case, Ed and Al, for the new FMA movie are based on) for Ed's and Al's faces.

Oh, that would explain that striking similiarity to the Arakawa's style...

QUOTE (Tombow @ Dec 12 2010, 01:42 PM) *
- From part of interview with the director of the new FMA movie...
He said they wanted to make a story for some place Ed and Al have never visited before, and make them meet some new people there, and then asked the writer, Mr. Shinpo who is also famous for his mystery novels, to write the story for this movie.

Mystery novels...sounds very interesting.

Meh, no trailer today :< I was hoping they would give us one after a month of waiting.

EDIT: Found another scan on Minitokyo: http://i54.tinypic.com/5efn0z.jpg
Chiyo
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Dec 9 2010, 04:25 PM) *
I agree with Kasumisty about the character design, it's very close to the manga. (Here's a Brotherhood Ed chart.)

Sorry if this has been pointed out, but did they make a mistake in there? Only, his right arm is flesh in this image and he doesn't get it back till long after this
Kasumisty
Ah, it looks like a simple mistake. They only wanted to show the design of the glove, but chose wrong hand.

Haven't noticed it before.
MsLinn
Oh, I love the new pictures we have! It DOES look very much like the manga! I randomly hope they'll make Ed's braid more tightly braided, ehe. Pet peeve.
Random note: Al has 5 throat...ventiles...things, like in the manga and the first anime. He has 4 in Brotherhood. Even more manga character design yey!
Kasumisty
Probable concept art for Armstrong, Riza, Winry and Roy from the movie:

By the way, the Chinese forum is back!
rosieechan
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jan 8 2011, 09:21 AM) *

Ack, so small!
Did they change from Winry's black and white outfit to this...? I thought the black and white one looked better.
Hopefully there will be a full version. ^^ (I want to see the characters' faces in detail...)

Michiyo-
Thanks for that image, Kasumisty! I hope we'll get a larger version in the upcoming Newtype, Animedia or Animage magazine. ^^

hilary
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=974721987

check this out!
A Pierrot's Aria
Sweet! smile.gif

I personally like the colour scheme of Winry's clothes. laugh.gif
Kasumisty
Thank you for the info! All characters looks very similiar to their manga counterparts.

I'm still waiting for new trailer to come out.
The Stubborn Alchemist
I'm so glad to see more Ed and friends, but I don't like the 'drawing' style of the movie sad.gif I had to get used to the style of FMA Brotherhood too, it was more the pale + serious + not so childish version. Edward looked weird too ^^ But after episode 4 I fell in love... AGAIN tongue.gif
(This Edward looks even weirder though...)
rosieechan
GUHH. -epic fangirl mode-

Winry looks SO cute and manga-y! <3 I really love how they drew her!! I also LOVE how they colored in the eyes! SO pretty. >.< Riza looks a bit different, but I'll manage (her eyes!! happy.gif). And Roy and Armstrong look perfect!
edxwinryfan
Well I like Winry's clothes and that is all I have to say haha laugh.gif
EdokunEdo
They all look soo cool biggrin.gif cant wait for the sub/dub time!
hilary
let me repost the pictures to here : P

fantasysangel
Very excited to see the new character designs. They all look very true to their original manga counterpart. Winry's eyes are very manga-ish.
Hopefully, with the release of more characters, a new trailer hould follow soon or at least a very small plot synopsis.
Pyroclasm
Whoa... Those pictures are great! Roy's face is... perfectly done. Wow. Thanks for sharing! smile.gif
Dark-Winds
Everybody looks so epic =D

And I'm slowly starting to like Winry's new design more and more =) I especially like her in this picture for some reason ^__^

And I love Ed's eyes O___O Something about the way they're colored is so awesome.

This movie looks very similar to the style that the manga's drawn in. And I like it wink.gif
rosieechan
Okay, wow, I'm really impressed with the animation! ohmy.gif
LOOK HOW THEY SHADED ED'S EYES! -squee- it looks stunning! Roy looks even more handsome and fierce than before! And Armstrong's muscles never fail to amaze me! And I'm really liking Winry's new color scheme, SO cute! Thanks to everyone for posting these pictures! >.<

I agree with fantasysangel, I really hope we can get character designs for other characters, too. In other words: XING, PLZ.
FirstMoon

(All of above scans are from Animage mag July issue ..came out in June 2011..., posted by hilary here.)

So far Movie!Roy's drawing > brotherhood!Roy while Brotherhood!Ed> Movie!Ed

Or it's just me.

<Added the scans because of the moving of the post so that we can continue this discussions here. ^^ ~ Tombow>
Pyroclasm
Thanks foe the awesome scans! happy.gif

QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Jun 10 2011, 10:21 PM) *
Looking at them, I really dislike the way they've drawn the hair, particularly on Ed, Melvin and Julia. The tips are too rounded and it makes it look really..."squiggly", for lack of a better word. xDxD
This bothers me a bit too... I like the hair better when it's, well... pointier.
4de
firstmoon-thank you for bringing the scans, i like milostar art style!
Tombow
Hmm, I got to agree that the hairs look different from what we're used to for FMA characters. They kind of look like fingers are growing out of heads. laugh.gif

But, I agree with FirstMoon. Roy looks good, and I'm relieved that no whale-size eye-patch on any of the main characters. tongue.gif
dreamfield
Personally i think the Milo-style hair is kind of jelly-like, especially Ed's and Julia's. It looks a bit strange...XP The pointier and thinner hair in comics is more applealng to me.

Roy does look handsome, his face smaller than in the brotherhood style. And Other charactors look really strong~ (small head against huge body = =) Ed will not be very happy about looking smaller against all those charactors!

Although i don't like this style very much, but honestly the animation seems better than static pictures. This special style makes the whole picture energetic. happy.gif
Michiyo-
<Program Note>

Now that the FMA MiloStar Movie is out in Japan, spoilers will likely to appear on the net.
We ask everyone to keep the spoiler discussions in the designated MiloStar Movie Spoiler Zone sub-forum, if you encounter spoilers, please post them ONLY in this sub-forum!
There are major plot twists in the movie, so if you donít wish to be spoiled, do NOT come there!

Please do NOT post and discuss spoilers outside the MiloStar Movie Spoiler Zone sub-forum!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.