Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA "MiloStar" Story-line/Time-line/Plot discussions (Any post that contains actual movie spoiler --> please post in SPOILER ZONE forum)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Sacred Star of Milos Movie
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
ETA: 11 April 2011

[Image Provided by hilary on this post.]

QUOTE (Tombow)
The quick reading tells me...

The first page scan in hilary's post above says the time period of the movie is when Al is already able to perform alchemy without the alchemy circle, and Roy and the gang are still in Central.

- From part of interview with the director of the new FMA movie...
He said they wanted to make a story for some place Ed and Al have never visited before, and make them meet some new people there, and then asked the writer, Mr. Shinpo who is also famous for his mystery novels, to write the story for this movie.

-------------

The latest info, (although we could already guess it ^^) is that according to the wording on recent Yahoo.jp news (the news was actually about the Japanese volume books of FMA manga being expected to surpass the total sales volume of 5,000,000 copies with the release of Japanese volume book 27 on Nov. 22) this has been announced to be an ANIMATION motion picture. ...yes, I know that's nothing new, but this is the first time I see that news media clearly saying this one will be an animation motion picture. ^^

And, since I'm making a new post, let me put my latest predictions/wild guess for the movie: XD

(Note: The following are my predictions/wild guess only, and there probably would be no truth to it. laugh.gif )

...There will be promo pic, poster, etc. for the new movie on Jan issue of Shounen GanGan, with increasing promo in coming months.

...The movie will open either July 2011 (first premier in June in Tokyo) or in Dec. 2011.

...In the movie, Ed & Al are still somewhere in the middle of FMA manga story-line, and the story in the movie is not directly related to the main FMAmanga story-line, but some side "event" such as in FMA Game "Prince of Dawn," with bad guys that are independent of the main FMA manga storyline, and of course Ed, Al, & Mustang's gang will eventually take care of the bad guys. tongue.gif
shanryelric
oooh how nice is that!!
oh Tombow you made a mistake.. it should be ...The movie will open either July 2011 (first premier in June in Tokyo) or in Dec. 2011. not 2010 ^^ ................................... - *hugs shanryelric!* Thank you so much for catching it! ^_^ Corrected. ^^ ~ Tombow

can't wait to see posters and etc!! just like CoS period! hahaha. ah btw, the pictures in the CoS thread are no longer able to be opened. anybody could cure that? TTATT''

I wonder what will I do after the movie.. ; A ;''

hmm.. but I wish the movie would explain some other things like Roy/Rizas childhood, something more about Roy's parents, something about new jurneys more than just the continuation from the game.
well that's what I hope though. tongue.gif
LooneyLolita
I hope for a Post-manga movie. (Warning: Series Final spoiler!) Maybe a West and East one or Ed and Winry kids
Anomia Grey
I sort of agree with Tombow on how it's very likely to a midquel - a post-manga anime would have to work around the problem of Edward's current inability to perform alchemy. CoS had the same problem, and at least in my humble opinion managed to keep true to the themes and atmosphere of the first series, so seeing what they'd come up with would be quite interesting
FirstMoon
QUOTE (wild prediction by Tombow)
...In the movie, Ed & Al are still somewhere in the middle of FMA manga story-line, and the story in the movie is not directly related to the main FMAmanga story-line, but some side "event" such as in FMA Game "Prince of Dawn," with bad guys that are independent of the main FMA manga storyline, and of course Ed, Al, & Mustang's gang will eventually take care of the bad guys.

NO.PLEASE.NO.

If this happens I'd cry.
I want a post-serie,something about Al's journey to Xing,Roy's "ending".
I'm not sure they can do a pre-story,(it's a bit unlikely for a movie) but if that's something "filler"...Ugh no.

You guys are ignoring Alphonse.He can handle the movie very well.
Vlyse
I like the idea of the movie being in the middle of the storyline. I can't imagine them coming up with villains as interesting as the Homunculi were. I didn't really like "The Thule Society" in CoS with the remaining Homunculi taking a back seat in awesomeness.

However, ever since they showed all the countries past Xing on the map in the last episode, I think a post-series storyline is what we're getting.
ShadowCat17
I don't think anything taking place during the series would be very good, since it couldn't possibly be particularly important to the overall plot. If it wasn't included in the series, it probably isn't worth going into, except maybe as an OVA or something.

(Warning! Possible series final spoiler ahead! smile.gif )
If the movie is going to take place after the series, they have plenty of options. They could potentially develop the new story using Selim Bradley - they could go all sorts of directions using him, especially if the movie is set significantly out into the future. It was one of the few areas in FMA where we were left off at the end really not knowing or being able to presume what would likely happen. Also I wonder if they'll go far enough ahead to where Ed is a daddy :-P
Pyroclasm
Finally, some news! The title sounds interesting... Looks like it will be a midquel after all, as I thought. I hope we'll be getting more info on the movie soon!
Kasumisty
I'm surprised how many people are dissapointed that it is not a sequel... were you not satisfied about how the series ended? There is really not much that can be added and made into a movie there - Ed has his arm back, he can't use alchemy, Al is back to normal, so they cleared their main goal already, half of the characters are dead or their stories also came to the end... - if the creators tried to make a sequel out of it - it wouldn't be the same Fullmetal as it was for me.

I WOULD love to see some side story or even an elseworld. It would be even greater if Arakawa wrote this, but I trust the storymakers to came up with something good. Because, hey, it's classic Fullmetal Alchemist we know and loved.

And I so prefer Ed with his full automail
FirstMoon
So can we assume that if the page disappeared it's fake?
Or well...
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Nov 13 2010, 04:27 AM) *
I'm surprised how many people are dissapointed that it is not a sequel... were you not satisfied about how the series ended?

No,I wasn't satisfied.

Also,a live-action is FAR BETTER than a filler idea.(imagines christian bale as mustang)This won't add anything to story line,just random villains and stuff.Worth watching? In my part no.I'm not a person like "Just FMA is enough,even it's garbage" No,FMA is valuable for me and it can't be wasted as filler.If it's a midquel we know good guys will win WITHOUT a doubt.Not neccesarily.
Anomia Grey
QUOTE (Tombow @ Nov 14 2010, 11:01 AM) *
And, to be commercially successful, I think the movie also have to appeal to those who have not seen FMA anime, neither the first series, or Brotherhood as well. As much as I would love to see more FMA manga specific contents, if this movie can be enjoyed by FMA fans from any series, as well as non-FMA fans, then that will be good to see also. I just hope it has a good story! ^^

Second that, hope they'll bind all of the random elements we've seen into something interesting.

Odd how the scriptwriter, Yūichi Shinpo, seems quite new to the business, has anyone seen the Doraemon films he scripted? As a novelist he does seem to have 14 novels on his name (http://www.worldcat.org/identities/lccn-nr92-347), wasn't able to figure out what kind of novels beyond the very vague taglines 'vampires' and 'husband and wife'.

EDIT: @rosieechan, from the ANN news item:

According to the teaser's tagline, the movie will "finally tell the story of forbidden bonds."

So I guess there is some attempt on their side to throw in some of the ethical conflict that gave the two series their distinct flavour.

What I personally expect from the movie is a Blind Alchemist kind of story: with the Elrics accidentally stumbling over a bunch of new characters whose tragic circumstances somehow resemble their own. Just a wild guess, but this seems to be the vague premise of most FMA1 fillers.

EDIT 2: Alright, I'm officially convinced after seeing this view of the city ripped by duckroll from the animesuki forums from the movie website:

Click to view attachment

(http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3345406#post3345406)
Vlyse
I guess we aren't getting Brotherhood characters in this movie like the Xing or Briggs cast.

Maybe it's set in the West? I was always kinda interested what was over there since the Brothers never visited.
Disasterpiece
WOW, holy crap i was so terrified for months that it was going to be like COS

so let me get this straight: this movie is a filler midway thru the story arc?
rosieechan
Okay, forget what I said about Ed's dirty blond hair...I watched the trailer again, and his blond hair was more BH-colored hair and the picture here just looked a bit darker because of the lighting.

Has anyone else noticed how the eyes are shaded? Like Ed's eyes have a tint of gold (yay!), and Riza's eyes have a tint of red in them.

Now I'm mostly convinced that it's more manga-style than any with the coloring and maybe the drawings. Especially the picture on the website with Ed and Al. biggrin.gif

@Anomia Grey:

It sounds alright, then, except..."forbidden bonds"? Really? I mean, REALLY? Please tell me they're not talking about Ed and Al here. sleep.gif'' Which they probably are.

@Disasterpiece:

Well, I suppose it is a midquel/filler, seeing as Ed is still short and in his signature coat and Al still has (Warning! FMA:Brotherhood/manga seriese final Spoiler ahead -->) his armor.

QUOTE ("Vlyse")
Maybe it's set in the West? I was always kinda interested what was over there since the Brothers never visited.

I would be really excited if it was set in the West. biggrin.gif That would be so cool!
Anomia Grey
It sounds alright, then, except..."forbidden bonds"? Really? I mean, REALLY? Please tell me they're not talking about Ed and Al here. '' Which they probably are.

*grins* they're really hamming it up, aren't they? My guess is that it's about some new characters that have messed with human transmutation, but the 'finally' in there seems to indicate it's something previously mentioned - aaaaaanyway, this is just the first translation, I wouldn't read too much into it.
RoyxRizaFan
First I found out it was mid-series and I was like, "All right, that will work."

Then there was weird art and I was like, "OK, I can deal with that."

And then there was a psycho flying chick speeding through the air and I didn't know what to say anymore.
Maromi
AM I the only one who think Ed looks kinda younger? Maybe this happens just when he becomes a State Alchemist.
jacksparrow589
*shrugs* I think the art looks just fine. The little bits of action do have me staring at my laptop going, "Oooooooo-kay..." But, as with most everything else, I'm attempting to reserve judgment until I have more than about 30 seconds of footage to gauge the situation. What I've seen so far is a little confusing, but I'm pretty excited. And that screencap of sleeping Ed with his head down on that desk is so freakin' cute! He's such a little kid, I swear...
DistantBlue
Well...I don't really know what to think at the moment. :-P I'm actually really excited for this movie, but I have a feeling it will kinda end up like CoS (which I was on the border with) from seeing the trailers (I LOVE the art, though). I won't judge until we see more and get the plot summary, but I'm feeling more hopeful hearing its a midquel.

Thanks to everyone who brought information! :-D
rosieechan
QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Nov 14 2010, 07:22 PM) *
but I'm feeling more hopeful hearing its a midquel.

Yeah, well I guess a midquel/filler isn't that bad. It's better than some kind of re-telling of the story (gah).
happy.gif

granted, I would like to see a sequel about them in the future -is shot- I know that's only going to happen in my dreams though XD

Also, that movie picture of Ed and Al (especially Ed) is soooo manga-like...it's getting my hopes up! His eyes are just like in the manga--strong, fierce, and determined. biggrin.gif

penguintruth
I wonder what other reoccuring characters will be in it. I guessing the homunucli won't be in it, because then they'd need to tie it into the main continuity and that can create problems. Though I wouldn't mind cameos from them. Er, but then people get frustrated with just cameos.

It's one of those, "Hey, why did they bother having Envy in this movie if he doesn't have any part in it?" But then if you don't show Envy, people will be all, "I wish Envy was in it, at least for a cameo!" or "Envy should have taken part in this movie", but then you get "Envy wouldn't have been doing that, because he was busy with X, Y, and Z."

They should just pan down to Sloth digging underground during the movie at some point.
ED_Cantu
Ok after watching the teaser trailer I must say most of my interest for this movie has dissapeared sleep.gif

I was expecting something that would have to do more with the main story instead of a filler movie, maybe even a sequel or something between (Warning! Series Final Spoiler ahead -->) Ed and Al leaving for their new journey and the moment of that final photograph with Ed's children, the only way I would have accepted a midquel/filler movie would be if Arakawa would have a hand in this, but the script is being written by someone else.
The good thing is that maybe with this i will appreciate more Conqueror of Shamballa, even if i don't like it at least it's important for the main story of the first anime and gives a conclusion (a very bad one IMO but a conclusion).

I'm not liking the new character design, well maybe it's not the design but the colors they are using i don't know, it will be very difficult for me to get used to it, and i know it's a very early but Werewolves and flying people with machine guns? huh.gif
On the other hand the music from the teaser is great, I would like to hear more.

In the end even if my interest dropped from 100 to 25 more or less, i will watch this movie sometime but since this will be filler it doesn't matter if i watch it or not, sorry if I sound like a big pessimist, but I can't stand to see FMA turning into a Naruto type of movie.
Fairy of Darkness
I saw the trailer a couple hours ago, and you have no idea how excited I was before and after I watched it. xDD
I'm a little upset that it's not a sequel or something. sad.gif
I think that the style is gonna take some time to get used to, though. :/
Rainshine
Yeah, the art style is different, but I don't think it's bad. I actually quite like it. I admit, when I watched the trailer, I kind of had this "eeeeeh D:" reaction, mostly towards the werewolf and especially the flying batwoman lady. But I'm not going to get really critical of it just yet, since I've only seen a promo that's a few seconds long, and without even knowing what they were saying in it. I'm still excited for it coming out, and I'm not going to just decide "NOOOO IT SUCKS" or "YESSS IT ROCKS" until I've seen it. c: We're just going to have to wait and see.

(Until sometime in 2011! OTL)
shanryelric
well I just hope that the story won't 'run off everywhere' like CoS...
Mhacy
I can't wait to see this movie smile.gif, I hope the story will turn out good and is related with the manga plot. I kinda like the artsyle, but I do prefer Brotherhood's style (it was much closer to the manga). I admit I'm a bit disappointed about it being a filler, my hopes are up for the continuation but I guess it's too hard for them to make a story out of that satisfying ending happy.gif.
bel
oh,I never watched the first teaser of coS o.o and seemed that were a randow filler too....

OMG, this movie can be post-series too???shok.gif
I confess I have a new hope now biggrin.gif
Chiyo
RaphieL - you might be on to something there. Perhaps we are seeing a foe they met when they were younger, but the film will be set them fighting them post series.

Maybe...I can hope anyway...
allykatty1
Oh wow, I never saw the first teaser for CoS until now either - it does make me feel a bit better. O_o That said, it's probably a stretch for us to hope for lightning to strike twice in the same place. My inclination is still that it will indeed be a midquel... especially since the main promo image shows them younger as well (whereas in Shamballa, didn't they mostly use that one image of 18-year-old Ed and human Al?).

But yeah, I am also disappointed that it does seem to be a midquel. sad.gif I was never a big fan of the video game plots. They're pretty generic and IMHO barely worthy of the FMA name. And while CoS was odd in many ways, I loved that it furthered the plot, unlike most anime movies based on TV series (*cough*Bleach*cough*Naruto*cough*). While I will still be thrilled to get any new FMA at all, half my excitement over the project was the tease that it could be a post-series adventure. While the conclusion was satisfying, there are still many more threads that could be followed and developed (for example, I'd like to see Xing and I'd like to see Ed and Winry's relationship progress as more mature young adults, as opposed to the constant immature bickering and UST we get through most of the series).

I am trying to reserve judgment on the art style, since the first teasers for Brotherhood were also underwhelming. But so far half the shots look half-baked to me (maybe they are unfinished...?) and the other half look pretty good.

My first reaction upon viewing the trailer was to LOVE the first shot of Ed asleep (I've always loved that one manga image and while there was a version of it that was a promo image for FMA1, this version is so much more detailed!). And I liked that they put a new creepy spin on an image that always seemed so peaceful before. But then it all just went downhill from there... I was not impressed with most of the rest of the trailer. Riza looked great and Ed's eyes looked great in that one close-up, but the rest... I hate animation that looks like squiggly lines (like some of the shots from a distance in Brotherhood) and this had it in spades. To me this does not look stylized, it just looks sloppy. And then the wolf dude. My first instinct was to cringe, but then I reminded myself that it was obviously a chimera and therefore acceptable. But then the flying gadget girl. *facepalm* This I could not recover from. It just looked like lame shonen action with outlandish bad guys! FMA is so much better than that!!! I could accept that in the games and in short bursts in filler anime episodes, but to center a whole movie around something like that? I sure hope not... Please let this crazy bat woman be just a tiny, TINY part of the film. >_<

And I missed out on the brief live action discussion a few pages ago, but I'd just like to add that there are other directors out there who could do justice to FMA besides Peter Jackson (although he would indeed be the dream ideal). I think Guillermo del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron or David Yates could also all do decent jobs. And yes, it is my gameplan exactly to pitch FMA as something in the style of Harry Potter or LoTR. Whoever back there mentioned they were in film school, I feel ya! ;D I went to NYU Tisch film school myself and am keeping a close watch on things here in Hollywood now... while trying my best to work some magic. wink.gif Who knows, maybe in a few years when FMA is a major blockbuster live action franchise, you all might recognize 'ol Allykatty1 from the message boards as one of the producers, lol!!! ;D
Misty- Nala
I love the idea of this being a midquel. I don't think a sequel to manga would be interesting. Everything is back to normal and we already know what is going to happen. What is there to expect? Diaper stories?
Midquels CAN be good if they are given enough attention. As a fanfiction writer, I have seen many stories written by amateur writers that would blend into the actual,canon story at the word go. A talented writer can make a good story. I don't need the plot and script to be done by Arakawa to enjoy the experience. I enjoyed Anime 1 and CoS (although it made me sink into depression) and neither was done by her.

The only problem here is that the writer needs to be enthusiastic about the story to avoid creating a forgettable filler like those 500 plus Pokemon episodes we have been getting for the last few years.

Also, I would have loved to see a Live-Action play. I'm not kidding, it would have been great! biggrin.gif Everyone thought LotR would be impossible to make and what did we get? A masterpiece loved by critics all over the world. It's the enthusiasm we need.
Yet, Fma is relatively unknown when compared to success stories like Harry Potter so the series evidently has limited possibilities. It will mostly be there to entertain the fans and is likely not to interest other people and get them to introduce themselves to the actual storry.
allykatty1
I'm not completely against the idea of a midquel... I'm just very wary of it. While I have also seen several good fanfic stories, Studio Bones's track record for this kind of thing is not particularly stellar (aside from the main ending plot of FMA1/CoS, their other non-Arakawa FMA side stories have been rather questionable... remember that weird stone disease? I like to pretend that episode does not exist). It just seems unfortunate to hype up another "movie" just have it turn out to be nothing more than a well-animated extra-long filler episode. Because while I'd love for it to turn out to be epic, experience warns me not to get my hopes up too much... and speaking of already knowing what is going to happen, hey that's really exactly what we'd be getting! After all, there won't be any real suspense since we all know which main characters will live and die later on in the main plot. tongue.gif Someone creeping up on poor little defenseless Ed in the dead of night? Oh, it's OK, we know nothing happens to him since we've read the manga and seen Brotherhood already! biggrin.gif They're going to have to delegate all the life-or-death suspense to movie-original characters, which just won't be as riveting.

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Nov 16 2010, 02:34 PM) *
Yet, Fma is relatively unknown when compared to success stories like Harry Potter so the series evidently has limited possibilities. It will mostly be there to entertain the fans and is likely not to interest other people and get them to introduce themselves to the actual story.

Naaaah. happy.gif I fully believe that if done right, it will MAKE new fans. Really, one could have said the same thing about LoTR. Before Jackson's series, it was something that was kind of more of a geek niche or maybe a scholarly niche. When the first movie came out, tons of people then went and read the books (including me).
rosieechan
QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Nov 16 2010, 10:35 AM) *
But then the flying gadget girl. *facepalm* This I could not recover from. It just looked like lame shonen action with outlandish bad guys! FMA is so much better than that!!! I could accept that in the games and in short bursts in filler anime episodes, but to center a whole movie around something like that? I sure hope not... Please let this crazy bat woman be just a tiny, TINY part of the film. >_<

That pretty much covers my opinion for the flying bat-woman...machine guns/gadgets are so overrated. FMA can do better. (of course, I can't judge until I've actually seen the movie, lol)

I don't think a sequel to manga would be interesting. Everything is back to normal and we already know what is going to happen. What is there to expect? Diaper stories?

I agree with this. Though I would LOVE to know more about the FMA universe and all (what's in the West? more about Hohenheim's history? Xing? all the other foreign countries and their cultures? stuff like that), I don't think a sequel movie would fit the manga's plotline.

But I am a bit wary of a filler movie, too. >.<
RoytheFlameAlchemist
The only connection I find they could make to the end of the manga/Brotherhood is (Warning! Series Final Spoiler!) that they could start the movie with Ed & uncle Al telling this story to the children. Although, I don't find it very likely to happen It's another possibility.
Dearheart
OMG I would LOVE if it turned out to be something like that. It'd be a wonderful way to tie it in with the original story...and would totally make my day. biggrin.gif I agree it's unlikely, but I can't help hoping...
AXavierB
QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Nov 16 2010, 01:34 PM) *
I love the idea of this being a midquel. I don't think a sequel to manga would be interesting. Everything is back to normal and we already know what is going to happen. What is there to expect? Diaper stories?

I'm not sure... just because the main story ended doesn't mean nothing interesting ever happened to Ed and Al again. A friend of mine is writing fanfiction set after the end that expands on elements introduced in the final chapter. I don't see why an official production couldn't do the same, personally. But, I'm still happy to have more FMA even if it is a midquel.
zonkiethegreat
I highly doubt that the movie will be POST-FMA:B. I mean, didn't Ed (warning! Series Final Spoilers ahead!) lose his ability to use alchemy???? And int he trailer Al is still in his armor?
Which disappoints me a bit, because I would rather see an FMA movie based POST-FMA:B, rather then an alternate version.....but oh well. MORE FMA! YEAH!!!
Animeoldtimer
I may be wrong, but I think many anime based movies are filler or AU. Is this true?

I don't know these shows that well, but examples I have are the Inuyasha movies, Eureka Seven, Bleach, and even Pokemon I dare say. From what I did see of them they were either filler, midquel, or just a nice side story.

That's not to say the movie won't be good. I think it has potential. It will be just nice to see more FMA.
Tombow
QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Nov 18 2010, 10:47 AM) *
I may be wrong, but I think many anime based movies are filler or AU. Is this true?

I don't know these shows that well, but examples I have are the Inuyasha movies, Eureka Seven, Bleach, and even Pokemon I dare say. From what I did see of them they were either filler, midquel, or just a nice side story.

That's not to say the movie won't be good. I think it has potential. It will be just nice to see more FMA.

@Animeoldtimer - Yeah, I'm not any expert neither, but I think those are the common ways of making anime movies.
And, I happen to enjoy some of these movies. laugh.gif (for example, I liked that Inuyasha movie that was based on Japanese fable, Kaguyahime, I think, ...though I may be getting confused with some other movie. ^^)
Animeoldtimer
I agree with you Tombow. Side stories can be thoroughly satisfying.
Misty- Nala
I agree with you Tombow and Animeoldtimer. Usually, if the anime movies I've seen are anything to go by, movie versions are just fanservice. Sure, there are some that have a moral and meaning and it's always nice to see your favourite characters in action. The main plot is rarely the concern there; the movie is a side story but they can have their times. Pokemon 2000 was quite epic now that you look back to it. And it is always nice to hear some amazing Japanese anime music. happy.gif
allykatty1
Now that I'm getting used to the idea, a midquel won't be bad at all. I think the reason a lot of people were disappointed was because we got a sequel before and that was what we were expecting this time too (and hence the springing up of the comparisons). But I'm sure it will be fine. As lame as I thought some of the game plots, etc., were before, they still beat anything most other series have to offer (we're so spoiled by the awesomeness and depth of FMA in general, we tend to forget this, or at least I do wink.gif ).

I also really do like the idea of it being set in what could be either FMA-verse. And if it does have a comic-book esque feel to the art style (that one shot of Ed at the end stands out in my mind - I am quite pleased with the shading on his eyes), that actually kind of excites me, because it will be a whole new experiment and way to look at FMA. happy.gif I don't know that I've seen any anime films with a look quite like that. I think it has potential to be excellent (so long as they don't get too carried away with crazy batwomen).
Mhacy
A midqueal for me is a pretty good idea though it is not what we expected. When you come think of it, if ever they continue the manga-based story maybe they can go too far from the plot and it doesn't make sense, they can come to the point where they can ruined the story itself. I mean the ending for me was satisfying enough, so what more can we ask for? I'm totally happy with this movie, my hopes are up for the good story..happy.gif
Little Washu
I really like the character designs for this, kind of reminiscent of the original anime. (I hated Brotherhood's style, too round and squishy looking)

My personal opinion on side story movies:
I prefer them. Who really wants to watch the same thing, over and over and over again? It does get old. A side story is always a fresh new take, and not like filler obnoxiousness.

All in all, I'd like to see this once dubbed (should it ever happen)
lunneth
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Nov 19 2010, 10:37 PM) *
I really like the character designs for this, kind of reminiscent of the original anime. (I hated Brotherhood's style, too round and squishy looking)

My personal opinion on side story movies:
I prefer them. Who really wants to watch the same thing, over and over and over again? It does get old. A side story is always a fresh new take, and not like filler obnoxiousness.

All in all, I'd like to see this once dubbed (should it ever happen)

true true, who does want to watch the same thing over and over again but lets just hope it's not like the naruto films. sure they're not the same but they're still pretty crap :/

the style looks much better i agree, plus this looks pretty interesting. cannot wait
Nefertekas
QUOTE (RoytheFlameAlchemist @ Nov 17 2010, 05:19 AM) *
The only connection I find they could make to the end of the manga/Brotherhood is that they could start the movie with Ed & uncle Al telling this story to the children. Although, I don't find it very likely to happen It's another possibility.

(Warning!! The following post contains FMA:Brotherhood/manga Series Final Spoilers! Please do not read what's under the spoiler covere if you do not wish to be spoiled.)

That would actually be an ADORABLE idea for the movie. I really wanted to see the kids when they're older, possibly even know their names. I hate not knowing names! Though it's kind of a nice mystery.
But...No matter how much I'd like to see that happen, I think it's VERY doubtful. My sure bet is on a midquel. I doubt we'll even see a glimpse of Winry or Pinako, for example; it'll probably just be one of Ed's missions for the military where Al tags along..

But honestly, isn't that a GOOD thing?
Sure, I'd like to see something more connected to the main plotline (like what I mentioned in the spoiler tags) but I doubt it'll happen. If it's a GOOD filler story, we WILL like it. As long as the plot's coherent and not lame or anything of the sorts... *sighs* And as long as the characters stay true to themselves.

On other point, I'm not sure about the animation. Can't put my finger on it...It's computerized, as were some Brotherhood scenes (like Envy's transformation, and I liked that) but it seems they've exaggerated a little. Can't tell much from such a short clip though.
WE NEED A LONGER PEEP CLIP!! XD

And...people... Werewolves? Batwoman? Please. I don't think they'd be THAT basic.
Methinks one is a chimera and the other is using... err... advanced technology. (Bruce Wayne wannabe).
[/is shot]

Basically...

We still have TONS of time to take guesses, though. 8D

hilary

Hi everyone!!!XDDD that's me ( hil) again~~~
I've just bought a japan magazine - animedia
and saw there's news about 嘆きの丘の聖なる星!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scanned by me and hope you all like it!!
Enjoy~~~

Tombow
Thank you, hilary!!!! happy.gif *hugs hilary*

The first magazine article scans on the new FMA movie!!! Now we're talking!! biggrin.gif

The quick reading tells me...

The first page scan in hilary's post above says the time period of the movie is when Al is already able to perform alchemy without the alchemy circle, and Roy and the gang are still in Central.

The second scan says the director Mr. Murata and Mr. Konishi, the chief animetor, used to work together at Studio Ghibli, (Hayao Miyazaki's anime production studio). ... I told ya the character designs look very Miyazakiesq! ^^

...It's hard to read the small letters, and I don't have time to decipher it at the moment. I'll try to read more later. (Or, if others can post the translations, please go ahead and do so. ^^)
Ducard
There we have our timeline. *does quick reasearch* So the action is happening between chapters (circa) 31 (End of Greed's arc) and 52 (Gluttony's arc). I don't know if they thought about fitting in into timeline, but there aren't too many loose places to fill...

I think Al's ability to do alchemy will be just a plothole we'll have to live with, because I don't see how this movie can fit in anywhere.
  • This movie can't take place directly after Greed's arc. Ed busts up his automail, prompting him to go visit Winry in Rush Valley. Ed doesn't even learn about Al's handclapping until Rush Valley.
  • It's unlikely that this movie takes place directly after the fling with Ling in Rush Valley, because Ling and Winry accompany Ed straight from Rush Valley to Central. It's possible that the movie is a big side-trip along the way, though that would be kind of random.
  • This movie can't take place during the Maria Ross arc, for obvious reasons. Like Ed being separated from Al.
  • This movie can't take place immediately after that arc either. Scar arrives in Central before Mustang changes out of his hospital clothes.
  • This movie can't take place after the confrontation with Scar, because they capture Gluttony on the same day.

I'm nitpicking. But unlike other anime films that conflict with continuity, the makers of this film had the entire manga story available to them. I'm less lenient on this sort of thing because, if this does end up being a plot hole, it could have easily been avoided.
Tombow
^ @Ducard - I'm trying to get more info on that. (See below.) ^^

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Dec 12 2010, 07:57 AM) *
..EDIT: Found another scan on Minitokyo: http://i54.tinypic.com/5efn0z.jpg

Thank you, Kasumisty! biggrin.gif

On the right side page of the posted scan says in the movie, during their journey Ed & Al will run into the situation that threatens the existence of Amestris (and then they will solve it, of course! ^^).

And, if anyone can find the rest of the scan that's cut out from this scan on the left side, PLEASE POST!!! It may contain some potentially interesting additional comments/info regarding where this movie's arc fits in FMA story-timeline, from the director, Mr. Murata. smile.gif
Ducard
^ @Ducard - I'm trying to get more info on that. (See below.) ^^

And I thank you for it. wink.gif

To be fair, I wouldn't necessarily mind if this movie is outside of continuity. A movie like, say, Dragonball Z: Tree of Might is blatantly non-canon with its source material, but the film more than makes up for it by giving characters a spotlight they never would have had otherwise. The movie is also a quasi-adaptation/alternate version of the Saiyan arc, which makes it fun. In that sense, the movie "earned" its right to tell an out-of-continuity story, because it was honest about its approach and just rolled with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.