Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver Spoon Manga
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Discussions on Arakawa's Other Works > Silver Spoon
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Michiyo-
<Anyone who is interested in reading this series in English, please PM A Pierrot's Aria for information. smile.gif >

Arakawa starts a new manga series in April, in Shonen Sunday!

Source: ANN

I'm really looking forward to it! biggrin.gif

EDIT:
Ad from the magazine's website:
A Pierrot's Aria
^AWESOME!! So she isn't carrying on with a previous work after all? Wonder what this new series will be about! biggrin.gif She doesn't hang about, does she? laugh.gif

(Thanks for this news, Michiyo-!)

|
|
|
|/@Tombow Thank you for the translation! biggrin.gif It's so awesome that it'll be weekly! I hope it will be a long-running series as awesome as FMA. I can't wait to see it!
Tombow
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Feb 25 2011, 01:44 PM) *
Arakawa starts a new manga series in April, in Shonen Sunday!

I'm really looking forward to it! biggrin.gif

EDIT:
Ad from the magazine's website:

AWESOME!!! Thank you sio much, Michiyo- for the news! biggrin.gif

A very quick translation of the ad posted above by Michiyo- (on Weekly Shounen Sunday magazine):

Ultra Classified Secret..... NEW SERIES From Hiromu Arakawa, the author of "Fullmetal Alchemist", Her first WEEKLY series manga!!
________________________________________________________________________________

Starts on 19th issue! on April 6 ....... A new weekly series by this super popular manga artist is coming to us!!
What is this new series about? What is the theme?? Title of the series??? ... Anticipation is mounting!!!

Not a complete literal translation, but says something of this sort. ^^

Arakawa's first WEEKLY series! ohmy.gif I can't wait to see it!
Pyroclasm
Thank you, Michiyo- and Tombow! I really can't wait to find out what Arakawa has planned next! Whatever it is, I sure it will be wonderful! ~ happy.gif
nonamexyz
Arakawa's new manga: Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon) is being announced by Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine on March 30. happy.gif
On March 30, this year's 18th issue of Shogakukan's Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine is announcing the title and some other details of the new manga series by Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist, Hero Tales). Silver Spoon (Gin no Saji) will be Arakawa's first weekly manga series when it launches in the magazine's 19th issue on April 6. The story will be set in a high school in the northernmost Japanese prefecture of Hokkaido.

The manga will adorn the front cover of the magazine issue, and it will also have a full-color opening page. The issue will include a special clear file to commemorate the launch of the new series.

Arakawa ended her Fullmetal Alchemist manga in Square Enix's Monthly Shonen Gangan magazine last June, although she did draw a side story in September.

Wait, a slice of life story? Well, it won't be matter if it's good. rolleyes.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
Awesome! Thank you for the news, nonamexyz. I'm looking forward to this manga. I wonder if "Silver Spoon" is alluding to something about being rich; like a kid who goes to the school, or it's generally a high school where rich kids go? Then again, it can easily be making no such reference to that at all. laugh.gif We'll have to wait and see. tongue.gif

ETA:
|
|
|/@hilary Thank you so much for the images!
hilary

Michiyo-
Thanks, nonamexyz for the news and hilary for the pics!
I'm looking forward to Arakawa's new manga, it's good that it'll be weekly. ^^
Kasumisty
Looks quite original. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Tombow
Thank you, nonamexyz and hilary!!

The magazine scan says basically what ANN stated... it's a high school drama, based in Hokkaido, Japan.

Wow, I did not see that coming. XD Arakawa-sesnsei keeps surprising me, even after FMA! tongue.gif

I'm looking forward to reading this one! biggrin.gif
Pyroclasm
Thanks for the news guys! I'm kind of surprised by this, but I'm certain it will be good. smile.gif
Michiyo-
Shounen Sunday's website began advertising its next week's issue, and it has a color pic of Silver's Spoon's main character with a calf (same pic that was in the b&w scan hilary posted).

ETA (Mar. 30):
Bigger pic from Baidu:
A Pierrot's Aria
Wow! Next week! April has come by so fast! Thank you for the news Michiyo-! I can't wait to learn more about the characters and the story! happy.gif
Pyroclasm
Heehee! Look at the calf sucking on his shirt! XD Thanks Michiyo-.
A Pierrot's Aria
Awesome picture! It's nice to see more characters! biggrin.gif And it's awesome that there are some campics already. laugh.gif Thank you hilary!

But I never like it when spoilers are released on April Fools...<.< >.> <.> Heheh! But these certainly do look legit!
Michiyo-
Wow, someone already got next week's issue! Thanks for sharing the pics, hilary! ^^

The chapter looks interesting, I can't wait to see all pages! biggrin.gif
nonamexyz
Thank you very much, Hilary biggrin.gif Those are hilarious pics. laugh.gif
In my country, chopping a duck is normal thing to do even for a child, but not cut its neck off. Somehow that page scared me ;A;
Ama-ri
http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/d04...946bb127b13.jpg
isn't that armstrong in the bottom left corner? lol

oh and thanks for sharing =D
FMAobsessed
I just heard about Arakawa's new series today. There seems to be little information about it, but I am intrigued.
It will be nice to have a new series by her.
Tombow
@FMAobsessed - We now know some info about this new series, and the weekly Sunday mag with the first chapter is out right about now. ^^ We'll be moving posts with the info on this series to this threads shortly. biggrin.gif
Michiyo-
The first chapter is out! Many thanks to hilary for scanning it! ^^
Sorry, they are no longer there

It looks great, I can't wait to read the translated chapter!

ETA: it's 35 pages long, and there's an Armstrong clone! laugh.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
Awesome!! Thank you to hilary for scanning it, and Michiyo- for bringing it to us!

It looks really good and humourous; I can't wait for a scanlantion! biggrin.gif
Tombow
Thank you so much, hiraly for the scan, and Michiyo- for bringing it here! happy.gif

It will take a while to load up pages from Baidu site on my computer, and if it takes too long and times out I have to wait till later tonight when Web connection is less busy in this area, then I can translate. But, meantime if anyone would like to do translations please do! ^^

(My inner voice...holly molly, 35 pages!? and this is weekly? boy, Arakawa-sensei is a workaholic! tongue.gif )
FMAobsessed
I wonder what genre this manga is. If anyone knows can they tell me?
I do think Arakawa's farm animals are adorable.

35 pages for a weekly manga seems to be a lot.
Pyroclasm
Heh, this looks really nice! I can't wait to read it translated. Thanks for the scans!
Swirt
I've got japanese scans. :3

View Chapter 1 Raw Online (ImageShack)

<Thank you SO much for bringing us the Japanese scans again, Swirt! You are officially awesome. I downloaded the file and uploaded the pics to an online image album, which I have included above, for those who may be reluctant to download the rar! I hope that's okay! happy.gif -Pierrot>

No problems, officer. sailor.gif
Waiting for translation.

ETA:
The following is "SUPPOSED" spoiler from 2-chan:

The protagonist is a girl.
The premise is that she dresses as a boy to enter her (elder) twin brother's high school. Her brother is really smart and could continue into higher education easily, but he disappeared after suddenly deciding to enter a second-rate agricultural high school for no reason. In order to solve the mystery, the sister goes to the school (in disguise as mentioned).
She is found out by her female classmates.
On the last page, the cow mutters (in human speech) : "There's no way I can show her this form".

Source: Repost from 2-chan on Mangahelpers
О_о

<Note from translator: Just letting everyone know that the supposed transcript for the last page shown above sounds utterly BOGUS as the translation is totally wrong, and the explanation of the last scene is completely incorrect. laugh.gif And, this info coming from the thread on 2-chan by the same thread starter that kept producing "funny/silly/totally-bogus" so-called "spoilers" for FMA in the past, I recommend everyone to "disregard until/unless proven true" or take it with a truckload-full of grain of sand. tongue.gif >

Post edited by Tombow. In the future, please check the original info source and avoid bringing "spoilers" from 2-chan. ^^
A Pierrot's Aria
Thank you Michiyo-, for the news! happy.gif It's nice to see a message from Arakawa about the earthquake. I see that on the website they misspelled "Silver" as "Sillver". *random observation*.

And at the above "plot spoilers"...Somehow I detect a slight wiff of BS in the air. laugh.gif

For one, if it's true, that's got to be the manliest girl I've ever seen. And nothing said in that summary seems to match up with anything that happens in the scans! laugh.gif And I must be blind, because I seriously don't see a cow on the last page...

Now that I've said this, it had better not be true! tongue.gif
Turdaewen
Yay!!
Thanks everyone!!

Guys, I found this discussion on Baidu!! ^^

Chinese scanlations on Baidu
Tombow
ETA: Sine we have English scanlations out (please see note on Michiyo-'s post here) I took out my translations and related post. ^^

Everyone, please join discussions on chapter 1 here. smile.gif
allykatty1
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Apr 5 2011, 01:45 PM) *
Thank you Michiyo-, for the news! happy.gif It's nice to see a message from Arakawa about the earthquake.

Huh? Where was that? ohmy.gif
Michiyo-
QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Apr 13 2011, 08:25 AM) *
Thank you Michiyo-, for the news! happy.gif It's nice to see a message from Arakawa about the earthquake.

My post with Arakawa'a message has been moved to the Chapter 1 discussion thread here. smile.gif
allykatty1
QUOTE (Michiyo- @ Apr 13 2011, 12:06 AM) *
QUOTE (allykatty1 @ Apr 13 2011, 08:25 AM) *

My post with Arakawa'a message has been moved to the Chapter 1 discussion thread here. smile.gif

Lol, I had just stumbled across it! Thanks. happy.gif
CutEowyn
The fantastic and action story master is back with an agricultural tale blink.gif
In an interview from Arakawa I've read she wanted from long time to make a personal story, including Ainu people I think.
In one way I'm really glad for her, 'cause editors' pressure must be strong !
In another way... erm I'm surprised. I war so much far enjoying FMA or Raiden18. Maybe there are narratic tools (how to say) she cannot use here. Maybe it's just a beginning then I will enjoy fare more the next. That's something I read in the spoilers that makes me to want to discover the next. I think I'll keep following this story and buying manga if published in french or english. But I wish she makes another story or more based on fantastic, action... Fate or Arakawa's will will tell us.
BTW how can you consider Silver spoon without thinking about Moyashimon xDD
loicos
1st volume will be out july 15.
A Pierrot's Aria
Thank you again for the news, loicos! I'm really hoping that one day it will be picked up for an English release. biggrin.gif

I see it's up for pre-order on Amazon.co.jp, so that must have been your source? biggrin.gif
loicos

Chapter 10 (in Shonen Sunday #31) will be the last of Spring Arc.
Tombow
Thank you, loicos! biggrin.gif

Nice cover of vol. 1! Very peaceful, and I like it! biggrin.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
Thank you for sharing, loicos!

I really love the simplicity of it. And I agree with Tombow in that it looks very peaceful!
Tombow
Thank you so much, Michiyo-! biggrin.gif

I see vol 1 is up to chapter 8, eh? Too bad it couldn't contain whole "Spring" chapters. That would probably go over the page limit, but it would have been a nice to have all 10 chapters in this volume. tongue.gif

Curving the temptation to post translations or scanlated Omake for these pages since (I assume) the usual group is working on these also, and I should respect that. ^^
AA battery
Can someone post the full volume download plz? XD;; I haven't been saving scans lately...

Those omake comics are gold. Too hilarious for words. I'm most amused by the ...orz in one of the 4komas XD
Tombow
^ Don't know any info on Vol. 1 for downloading, but right now you can read chapter 11 raw legally on Shougakukan's Club Sunday site. ^^

Vol. 1 of Silver Spoon (released on July 15, 2011) sold 90,000 copies in 3 Days!! biggrin.gif

Came in #4 on weekly ranking!

(Source: AnimeNewsNetwork)

A Pierrot's Aria
That's really great!

Thank you for the news, Tombow! biggrin.gif
Michiyo-
It's good to know that Silver Spoon is doing well in Japan. Thanks for the news, Tombow! biggrin.gif
Tombow
For the second week, Vol. 1 of Silver Spoon sold 85,684 copies and ranked #5, total so far is 175,941 copies sold in Japan!. biggrin.gif
AA battery
Can't wait till the Hong Kong or Taiwan publishers license this =w=
Tombow
Found real-life Dai-Ezo Agricultural High School! biggrin.gif

Dau-Ezo Agricultural High School's model is Obihiro Agricultural High School in Hokkaido, Japan!
And, Hiromu Arakawa visited the school for the research for "Silver Spoon" Feb. this year! biggrin.gif

Hiromu Arakawa, along with cameraman, magazine editor visited the school this February, and did research about the school for 2 days.
Obihiro Agricultural High School has the same five courses as the Dai-Ezo Ag, and also, just as the Dai-Ezo Ag, all Freshman in Diary Course must live in the school's Dormitory during their Freshman year.....

(Source: Tokachi Mainichi NewsPaper)
Tombow
<Double posting with justice. This post will be merged later>

Another long interview of Arakawa-sensei! On Otona-Fami Sept. 2011 issue (came out on July 20).

This time she tells her thoughts on FMA as she looks back FMA, and about her move to Silver Spoon.
The interview is titled "Hiromu Arakawa, now"

Also, in this interview, she is said to have told that she's planning to write Silver Spoon for one year. ohmy.gif
(I can't confirm it since I haven't read the interview yet. If anyone got the magazine, please let us know! ^^)

AA battery
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jul 30 2011, 10:37 AM) *
<Double posting with justice. This post will be merged later>

Another long interview of Arakawa-sensei! On Otona-Fami Sept. 2011 issue (came out on July 20).

This time she tells her thoughts on FMA as she looks back FMA, and about her move to Silver Spoon.
The interview is titled "Hiromu Arakawa, now"

Also, in this interview, she is said to have told that she's planning to write Silver Spoon for one year. ohmy.gif
(I can't confirm it since I haven't read the interview yet. If anyone got the magazine, please let us know! ^^)

The one year part isn't too surprising to me. After all, Silver Spoon's Spring section was only 10 chapters or so? I think the Summer, Autumn, and Winter sections will have similar number of chapters, so it does sounds like Silver Spoon won't be a super long series.

Though I have been enjoying it so far and wouldn't mind it being a 3 years series instead. XD
shiroth
It's a shame to hear Silver Spoon will only last a year, but saying that it makes sense regarding the pacing and season length we're seeing. Sure we can say that we'd love for this series to last must longer, though there's really just Hachiken's development that needs to be finished, and there's plenty of time for that to happen.

Either way, i'm loving Silver Spoon, and i look forward to seeing what Arakawa-sensei has planned for us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.