Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver Spoon Manga
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Discussions on Arakawa's Other Works > Silver Spoon
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Michiyo-
Here's the cover for Vol. 6:

It's out on January 18.
Michiyo-
Silver Spoon has won the 58th Shogakukan Manga Award in Shounen category!
It's Arakawa's second award, she has won it with FMA in 2004. biggrin.gif

Source: ANN
Tombow
Thank you, Michiyo-, that is a great news!! yes2.gif yes2.gif

Congratulations, Arakawa-sensei!!

BTW, I like those cover pics. biggrin.gif

Michiyo-
Arakawa has updated her Websunday blog and drew a short comic:

ETA: Click for Tombow's translation biggrin.gif

ETA: Thanks for the translation, Tombow! ^^
Tombow
Thank you Michiyo-! biggrin.gif

The comic is about the moment she got the news that she has won the Shogakukan manga award.
Please wait a little bit for the translation/scanlation. smile.gif

ETA: Here you go. Click for translation biggrin.gif

Also... from the linked Arakawa-sensei's blog page posted by Michiyo- above:

Arakawa:
"By the tme this comment gets on my blog it (new short Silver Spoon comic) might already be published on Shonen Sunday magazine... In support of Sendai Earthquake Recovery Fund, I wrote "Hero's Comeback", a short comic for Silver Spoon.

I might have written short comic using Fullemetal Alchemist platform [not clear whether she wanted to write this in addition to Silver Spoon short comic, or instead of Silver Spoon short comic], but there were some copy right issues**. (** please see my post below ^^)

We support the recovery of North East region of Japan, as, without it [& the presence of strong farming community in the region] there would not have been [the development of] current Daiezo Ag high school!" *(Note: because many of farmers in Hokkaido island where Ezo Ag high is located originally came from North East main-island region of Japan.)

(Translation by Tombow, and Italic part was added by Tombow. The fine nuance of Arakawa-sensei's comment on Italic part is little hard to decipher from the posted blog comment, as the comments are in truncated form and it can translate into some variations. Anyway, Arakawa-sensei says that 'was there no copy right issues she might have written a short FMA comic to support Sendai Earthquake Recovery Fund'.)

I wanted to see this short story with FMA!! crying_anim.gif
A Pierrot's Aria
I may be missing/misunderstanding something, but how could there be copyright issues with her own series? oO (I'm not really sure how these things work, to be honest!)
Tombow
I'm guessing that it could possibly be more of publishing right issues/publisher-artist relations issues? I'm guessing that the old publisher (Shonen GanGan) will be happy to get new FMA short comic material, but I don't know what is the current agreement between Arakawa-sensei and Shogakukan about publishing new non-Shogakukan material on other publishers while she is carrying the series with Shogakukan, and if it gets complicated and some negotiations are necessary that might discourage her to do new FMA material??
Not that I have any knowledge or information on this. tongue.gif

A Pierrot's Aria
^Ah, I see. That's pretty naff if that's indeed the case. xD
Tombow
Yap. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that we didn't get FMA short story, but I'm looking forward to this Siler Spoon short story. biggrin.gif
Michiyo-
Here's the cover for Volume 7: smile.gif

Out on April 18.
Tombow
Thank you Michiyo-! biggrin.gif
Michiyo-
Silver Spoon was the 8th best selling manga in Japan in the first half of 2013.
I think the sales will increase even more when the anime starts. ^^

Source: ANN
A Pierrot's Aria
Wow, that's really great!
Michiyo-
Vol. 8 cover:

Out on July 11 (same day as the start of the anime ^^)
Tombow
Thank you Michiyo-! I like the cover! biggrin.gif
AA battery
そして、このコメント載るころには本誌に載っちゃってるかな? ヒーローズ・カムバック。『鋼の錬金術師』は版権の関係で無理でしたが、「震災復興支援協力企画」ということで、それならばと、ちょっと変わった『銀の匙 Silver Spoon』を描かせていただきました。

It's really too bad... I'd have loved to see FMA short story =(

I'm guessing that it could possibly be more of publishing right issues/publisher-artist relations issues? I'm guessing that the old publisher (Shonen GanGan) will be happy to get new FMA short comic material, but I don't know what is the current agreement between Arakawa-sensei and Shogakukan about publishing new non-Shogakukan material on other publishers while she is carrying the series with Shogakukan, and if it gets complicated and some negotiations are necessary that might discourage her to do new FMA material??
Not that I have any knowledge or information on this.

My 2 cents (NOT fact). That new book, Heroes Comeback, despite it's published for fundraising/charity purpose (for the earthquake), it's going to be published under the name of Shogakukan (which is what Silver Spoon is currently under). I think it's more or less that GanGan does not want its own franchise (Fullmetal Alchemist) to be published under a different publishing company, hence Arakawa could not use FMA. I think because FMA was initially licensed under GanGan, GanGan still had the rights to not allow FMA be published in another company.

That's just my guess anyway. I personally wouldn't think Shogakukan would have problem putting FMA in their book since ultimately they would benefit from it. I just think it's GanGan who doesn't want to share the publishing rights of FMA with another company.
Tombow
^ @AA battery - I agree & that's my guess as well.
AA battery
Just pre-ordered Silver Spoon vol 8 special edition~ It's gonna come with a towel. Retail price is 1200yen including tax.
Michiyo-
Arakawa has updated her Websunday blog today.
Iím not sure but does she say that her third child was born recently?

EDIT: It's true, I found the news on ANN.
Here's the translation of her blog entry:
QUOTE (ANN)
The second anime season [of Silver Spoon] began, the movie finished production, the novel came out ó this has been the start of another busy year.
To all who work with me and to my readers, Happy New Year and please support me this year also. (I know it's late.)

In my private life, I gave birth to my third child last month so my family life has gotten busier.

By the way, I played [the soundtrack of] Pacific Rim while I was pregnant with my baby.

That explains why the manga is on break for a month currently, but it's impressive that she was able to keep working with almost no breaks during her pregnancy.

And that pic with the "Human Transmutation Accomplished" caption is really cute. laugh.gif

Also, covers of Silver Spoon Vol. 9 and 10:

Tombow
Thank you Michiyo-! I Wonderful news. biggrin.gif
Michiyo-
Silver Spoon manga returns from hiatus in the 21th issue of Shounen Sunday (out on April 22). Itís been put on hold since last August, because one of her family member fell ill. Now the treatment is finished, so she can continue the manga.

Thatís great news, I canít wait to see how the story progresses. biggrin.gif

She also updated her Websunday blog and drew a comic, explaining the situation:

Source: ANN and Arakawaís Websunday blog
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.